Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer team

Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer...

Author
Midfielder
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
patjennings - 7 Aug 2017 1:03 PM
petszk - 7 Aug 2017 12:04 PM

My mail is there will be 12 twelve next season. The HAL owners and FFA will come to an agreement, firstly about funding, but also about eventual control and timing of promotion and relegation . The Greens and Xenophon will side with the Coalition to change the media laws. Lachlan Murdoch and Gordon will get Channel 10. A new team (to be decided) in Brisbane and a Wollongong Wolves side to come in next season.

The second division is also coming, but it will be a combination of NPL teams and specifically placed 'franchises'. Likely to be produced by Foxtel/10 and shown on Foxtel and SBS. No timeframe for implementation.

PJ

Hope you are right. If 10 is owned by Gordon then the Gong makes sense he is a massive Football fan and a Wolves man to his boot laces ..

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Not a chance we'll expand next season, clubs need at least a year - at least - to get ready so if they're not announced by now it ain't happening.

And the only certainty is it will be south Sydney, not the gong that gets in. After that it's either brisbane or Melbourne - Fox's pick.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Waz - 12 Sep 2017 11:30 PM
Not a chance we'll expand next season, clubs need at least a year - at least - to get ready so if they're not announced by now it ain't happening. And the only certainty is it will be south Sydney, not the gong that gets in. After that it's either brisbane or Melbourne - Fox's pick.

Its 3 teams Waz. One to replace WP and 2 expansion teams. 
Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

petszk - 7 Aug 2017 12:04 PM

My mail is there will be 12 twelve next season. The HAL owners and FFA will come to an agreement, firstly about funding, but also about eventual control and timing of promotion and relegation . The Greens and Xenophon will side with the Coalition to change the media laws. Lachlan Murdoch and Gordon will get Channel 10. A new team (to be decided) in Brisbane and a Wollongong Wolves side to come in next season.

The second division is also coming, but it will be a combination of NPL teams and specifically placed 'franchises'. Likely to be produced by Foxtel/10 and shown on Foxtel and SBS. No timeframe for implementation.

PJ

Without giving away to many details..... How strong do you rate the source of your post..

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Midfielder - 12 Sep 2017 11:41 PM

PJ

Without giving away to many details..... How strong do you rate the source of your post..

I think we have more pressing issues. We need to find out the source. Is it someone at the FFA or someone at FIFA. 

Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class

RBBAnonymous - 12 Sep 2017 11:45 PM
Midfielder - 12 Sep 2017 11:41 PM

I think we have more pressing issues. We need to find out the source. Is it someone at the FFA or someone at FIFA. 

I think I have worked out the source and its neither of the above but very reliable and I would  be highly surprised if its not true if I have the source right. 

Whether the media law changes go thr and the Receiver sells to Murdoch / Gordon ... this may or may not but the Football bit if I have the source right would be close to sign off.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Midfielder
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

No automatic alt text available.Image result for thumbs up

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Of cause non of this will happen if Murdoch fails to win the media ownership court case to prevent the CBS buying 10
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ sack scott.

I dare to believe. Been disappointed too many times on expansion to get any hopes up though
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Midfielder - 13 Sep 2017 12:11 AM

I think I have worked out the source and its neither of the above but very reliable and I would  be highly surprised if its not true if I have the source right. 

Whether the media law changes go thr and the Receiver sells to Murdoch / Gordon ... this may or may not but the Football bit if I have the source right would be close to sign off.

Hasn't 10 already been bought by CBS?
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

maxxie - 13 Sep 2017 7:12 AM

Hasn't 10 already been bought by CBS?

No, Court case on at the moment by Bruce Gordon to prevent the sale. AND the Media Deal in Parliament has been agreed between Zenephon and the Coalition. Interesting times when the big boys play dirty!
Edited
7 Years Ago by Footballking55
Pyramid Timmy
Pyramid Timmy
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

and the South Pole goes all the way round the edge of the flat earth
Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class

Back to top - 13 Sep 2017 11:43 AM

and the South Pole goes all the way round the edge of the flat earth

The Owl looked up to the stars above, 
   And sang to a small guitar, 
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love, 
    What a beautiful Pussy you are, 
         You are, 
         You are! 
What a beautiful Pussy you are!" 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

VENEZIA F.C. HEAD TO BRISBANE CITY TO KICK OFF YOUTH FOOTBALL PARTNERSHIP

In News

Coached by Milan legend and Italian World Cup winner Filippo Inzaghi, on the rise Italian football club Venezia F.C. will deliver a series of youth football and coaching development camps at Brisbane City F.C. with a contingent of coaches set to arrive in Australia this weekend.

In an announcement made earlier today, club president David Asnicar and A-League bid chairman Robert Cavallucci revealed that an agreement was signed between Venezia’s head of International projects Paolo Poggi and Brisbane City earlier in August, paving the way for what both clubs hope to be a long-term technical collaboration and international development pathway of opportunity for youth football in both Australia and Italy.

Asnicar said: “We are very fortunate to have the kind of calibre three senior Venezia coaches, all with Serie A and professional playing experience will bring to running the camps over the coming week whilst supported by Brisbane City coaches.”

“Brisbane City is thrilled about the opportunity such an international collaboration will bring to our young footballers and coaches, the pathway opportunities this will open up in the future and knowledge transfer between our clubs. We have so much to learn from each other.”

“The Venezia F.C. story has so much in common with the Brisbane City F.C. story, we have both travelled similar journeys, we are both connected to our local communities and we celebrate the development of our young footballers.”

Poggi said: “On behalf of Venezia FC, we are very excited to be forming this relationship with Brisbane City FC. We look forward to meeting the management, coaches and players in Brisbane next week.

“This project is all about nurturing young footballers, not only in terms of their technical football development but also in terms of growth in personal qualities as young human beings. This represents the core vision of Venezia FC, a vision that we share with Brisbane City FC”

Cavallucci said: “Our two clubs will continue the development of formal partnerships that may even involve our teams touring Venezia’s facility in Italy next year and continuing the growth of our players along elite pathways.”

“This is a win win for Venezia and Brisbane and more importantly it’s a win for youth football. Brisbane City is not just making announcements we are delivering for football.”

“Last month we revealed A-League legend Thomas Broich’s coaching career had commenced at Brisbane City, this commencement of youth football camps and relationship with Venezia F.C. bolsters Brisbane City’s youth football development credentials, further solidifying our case to form part of the A-League in the future.”

Venzia FC Coaches on tour are:

1. Paolo Poggi (Manager of Venezia’s International Projects)
  2. Mattia Callauto (Head of Venezia’s Youth Academy)
  3. Andrea Sonchin (Venezia’s International Youth Coach)

The Venezia F.C. Story

Media Contact

Simon Smale: 0457 647 041

Media@brisbanecityfc.com.au

Venezia F.C. head to Brisbane City to kick off youth football partnership | www.brisbanecityfc.com.au

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Why arent the anti ethnic crew all over this?

#greekisnotacrime
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

scott21 - 7 May 2017 11:35 PM
maxxie - 7 May 2017 6:45 PM

You are from Redcliffe and would support Dolphins if they went into football I assume, but would MB accept it? or is it too Redcliffe?

There was the article below and I have been posting about Toronto in the pro rel thread. Dolphins imo should look at joining the Super League. Bombers will most likely be the next Brisbane team.... whenever that happens. I would prefer Souths Logan but thats not going to happen and they could be a southern team playing at Suncorp. 

I dont think people would support Dolphins outside of locals but in Queensland people would watch it on tv and they could organize their own tv deal. 

Fulham FC started todays London Broncos. I dont see why Dolphins couldnt do the same thing. May have to create 2 new teams so Redcliffe District Rugby League Football Club still play in the Queensland comp and have varied names and logo for Super League and A-League due to ip issues in Australia. I would love to see such ambition. 

Super League: English rugby league could expand to Australia, John Kear

Wigan Warriors
Wigan Warriors beat Australian Grand Final winners Cronulla Sharks 22-6 on Sunday

English rugby league should look to expand to Australia, according to Wakefield director of rugby John Kear.

Super League sides impressed in the weekend's World Club Series against NRL sides, with Warrington claiming victory against Brisbane and Wigan beating Cronulla in the World Club Challenge.

Canada's Toronto Wolfpack will play in the English third tier this season.

"I think we can globalise the game commercially and competitively," Kear told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It is feasible and it does make sense. I'm a big supporter of the Toronto experiment and I'm sure that if that's successful then you could look to expand the game to other cities in North America.

"Perth or a team from Papua New Guinea or Fiji could get involved in our competitions."

At present the vast majority of the 16 NRL teams are on Australia's east coast with other teams in Melbourne and Canberra, plus the New Zealand Warriors.

Kear believes the mentality of the NRL could lead to clubs on Australia's west coast, such as Perth, being interested in competing in an English competition.

"If the NRL have any sense then they would look to support it. The sport is massive in Australia and generates a huge amount of revenue," he added.

"I'm certain we could develop Super League there and the NRL should welcome it and look to assist us because the bigger the game is the better it is."

'The logistics are not a problem'

Sydney Morning Herald journalist Steve Mascord said Super League sides should start "standing up for themselves" against the NRL.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "Five years ago if someone had asked you what was more likely, a team in the British competition in Toronto or in Perth then you would have said Perth.

"Domestically the sport is hemmed in this country and the only way for it to get beyond that wall in this country is to go outside of it.

"Why not start the Super League season in Australia? It's been discussed and it's a genuine possibility.

"It's time for the game in the northern hemisphere to tap into the money that is in the sport in Australia."

He added: "Don't talk to me about the logistical problem. In the Super 14 rugby union competition the transit time from Dunedin to Pretoria is the same as getting from Australia to England.

"It can happen all year round and the benefits to the game in terms of sponsorship and broadcasting would be enormous."

Rugby league needs to be 'forward thinking'

Jon Wilkin
Jon Wilkin started his professional career in 2002

St Helens captain Jon Wilkin believes that English rugby league is missing out by not having a team in either Manchester or Liverpool.

The former England international thinks Salford Red Devils should look to move to Manchester from their current base in the AJ Bell stadium in Eccles.

"Sentimentally Salford are attached to where they're from but you can not let history be the anchor that drags you under," the 32-year-old said.

"Salford need a bigger fanbase and I think they need to engage with fans in Manchester city centre. There is an opportunity there.

"Having Manchester and Liverpool as hubs for the game has to be a focus for the sport.

"We need a strategy and we need to get to know big business better. I think the sport has been treading water for a while now."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/39039979

Perth may have more chance of joining Super League than the NRL

Perth may be more chance of gaining a team in Super League before 2023 than the NRL unless one of the current 16 clubs falls over or relocates to Western Australia's capital.

After beating the NRL to the punch by playing a premiership fixture on the other side of the world, English officials have revealed there had been discussions about a Perth team joining the likes of Toronto, New York, London and Toulouse in an expanded Super League.

"We've got New York and a number of other areas very interested and there are whispers from Perth that they are interested because there is a direct flight now into London," Wigan owner Ian Lenagan said.

The news coincides with a warning from NRL CEO Todd Greenberg last Thursday that the governing body would not bail out financially stricken clubs as the game had no significant cash reserves after lifting their annual grants to $12.4 million each.

In other words, any club hitting serious financial trouble would be allowed to fold in a move which could pave the way for the introduction of a new franchise or a relocated team.

However, the increase in total funding from $156m to $240m per year means that is the only way expansion is likely to happen as the NRL would be unable to pay new teams the $12.4m each per year the current 16 clubs receive.

There are whispers from Perth that they are interested because there is a direct flight now into London...

Wigan owner Ian Lenagan

The size of the grants also make it unlikely that a club would collapse during the current five-year broadcast deal as they are now guaranteed $3m more than the salary cap, which is $9.4m this season and due to rise to $10m in 2022. 

In addition, the NRL has introduced a $5.7m ceiling on football department spending to slow the annual 12% increase in costs on coaching and performance.

"They've now got enough money to sustain themselves so if they run smart, effective and efficient business models we should have 16 strong clubs," Greenberg told reporters at a briefing ahead of the NRL's AGM.

Expansion will again become a topic of conversation when Perth's new state-of-the-art stadium hosts a double-header in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership next month.

There is no doubt the game is testing the waters in the west.

A Test was played in Perth at the end of the 2016 season and the city also hosted a World Cup double-header last year, while a State of Origin match is scheduled to be played at the new 60,000-seat stadium in 2019.

With Rugby Australia closing down the Western Force Super Rugby franchise, there is an opportunity for rugby league to fill the void but the NRL is in no hurry after the demise of the Perth Reds in 1997.

Recent comments in a Daily Telegraph interview by Peter Beattie, who is expected to be the new ARLC chairman, have generated excitement about expansion but the former Queensland premier indicated future NRL clubs should first enter the NSW or Queensland state competitions.

Ipswich Jets and Redcliffe Dolphins are two Queensland Cup clubs with NRL ambitions and broadcasters have indicated they would like a second Brisbane team.

However, plans for Perth to enter the NSW Cup are several years away, with officials first hoping to field an under 20s team in the SG Ball Cup next season.

In contrast to the NRL's approach, England's Rugby Football League is in the biggest expansion drive since the code began in 1895, with the Toronto Wolfpack and Toulouse Olympique playing in this season's second-tier Championship.

A New York franchise is expected to enter the third-tier League One next year, as Toronto did in 2017, and those behind the bid have approached Salford Red Devils and Catalans Dragons about taking a Super League match to the US city on June 24.

The move follows the success of last Saturday night's Super League fixture in Wollongong between Wigan Warriors and Hull FC, which drew a bigger crowd than the attendances for the three regular-season clashes between the clubs last season.

Wigan took on Hull in a Super League match in Wollongong on February 10.
Wigan took on Hull in a Super League match in Wollongong on February 10.©Robb Cox/NRL Photos

The NRL had previously considered opening the 2015 season in London with South Sydney Rabbitohs playing St George Illawarra Dragons as they were in the UK for the World Club Series but the time difference did not suit broadcasters.

While that problem remains, it is unlikely the NRL will play a Telstra Premiership fixture in Europe but there is now talk of more Super League games in Australia, with Perth a possible venue.

"I speak not just for Wigan and Hull but for St Helens and for Leeds and for many other clubs," Lenagan said.

"World club rugby league could be massive. The Toronto owner David Argyle is a very successful businessman with a passion for rugby league and he is leading the way in many respects.

"The 12 Super League clubs met with him a week or so ago and there is no doubt the international dimension for rugby league is superb. He was saying Toronto's local derby could be against London."

Winning Starts Monday: Perth may have more chance of joining Super League than the NRL - NRL

Still think Dolphins should join Super League if they can. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Brisbane City backs Ballymore rebuild push

A-League aspirants Brisbane City have thrown their weight behind a growing campaign for a redevelopment of Ballymore Stadium, saying the historic venue should be restored to its former glory.

Football Federation Australia's announcement last week that two new teams will join the competition in the 2019-20 season couldn't have been more timely for City, a foundation club of the NSL and a leading expansion contender.

Their intended home ground, Ballymore, is suddenly back in the news.

Rugby Australia is behind a fresh push for a rebuild of the old and decaying 18,000-seat venue in inner-city Herston, which is a $1 million per year drain on the Queensland Rugby Union in depreciation, maintenance and associated costs.

It ties in nicely with FFA's bid to host the 2023 Women's World Cup, which could include a new rectangular stadium in Brisbane, as well as rugby's plans to host the equivalent tournament in 2021.

A new stadium would also service a glaring need for a boutique alternative to Suncorp Stadium, which is currently the only rectangular venue in Brisbane fit to host professional sport.

"Ballymore is a historic sporting venue with a great legacy," Brisbane City chairman Robert Cavallucci told AAP.

"It deserves to be returned to the pinnacle of elite sport.

"We've got a history of playing games there, it's part of our natural home on the north side of Brisbane, it sits right in the middle of our six hectares of playing fields.

"Brisbane City is absolutely committed to supporting the QRU and the business case for delivering a boutique rectangular stadium supported by a dedicated high performance centre for multiple codes - rugby and football."

While Ballymore's accessibility has been criticised, City's A-League bid includes plans for improved public transport links.

One option is the construction of a station on Butterfield Street for the planned Brisbane Metro, a high-frequency bus system that would use existing busways.

One of the metro lines terminates at the nearby Royal Brisbane Women's Hospital, and an additional stop at Ballymore would provide a simple yet elegant solution to the venue's transport woes - as would an upgrade of Wilston train station, which is within walking distance.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/20/03/35/brisbane-city-backs-ballymore-rebuild-push

Waz
Waz
Legend

Ballymore is a sham. It’s an LNP political project and a QRU necessity to fix - football is the answer to other people’s oroblems but if $200m is going to be thrown into knocking down and re-building Ballymore why not build a stadium in a more accessible area and not gift QRU the money?

“One of the metro lines terminates at the nearby Royal Brisbane Women's Hospital” ..... nearby? It’s a bloody long walk and the terrain is hardly flat. Not something you’re going to do lightly on a hot summers day or in the dark after an evening kick off. The write this as if people haven’t got google maps - the exit off the ICB is at the hospital and it’s a fair drive from there to Ballymore, who are they fooling?

“and an additional stop at Ballymore would provide a simple yet elegant solution to the venue's transport woes” .... if the hospital is so close by why do they need an additional stop then and they talk as if Ballymore hasn’t been used before? I’ve been there after a decent sized rugby crowds with special busses laid on direct from the stadium, it took an hour to queue to get on the bus after the game, and half an hour to get to central station to catch the train home. Total journey time was just over two and a half hours .... and I lived 10km from Ballymore

Any club that bases itself at Ballymore will have to survive on meagre crowds well below 10k ... anyone who says different has never been to Ballymore regularly on game day. It’s a bitch, you’ll do it once for s big game but you don’t do it for a full season. Ask the Reds why they don’t play there
karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

Make the Ballymore rebuild conditional on certain schools lifting their ban on certain sports and we’ll see how serious the QRU and ARU are about this.

There are other locations we should be looking at for a regularly-used, mid-sized stadium.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Brisbane City have to be the BIGGEST scabs in the entire NPL.

Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Karta

Certain scrolls? What’s that all about?
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Waz - 20 Feb 2018 7:01 AM
Ballymore is a sham. It’s an LNP political project and a QRU necessity to fix - football is the answer to other people’s oroblems but if $200m is going to be thrown into knocking down and re-building Ballymore why not build a stadium in a more accessible area and not gift QRU the money? “One of the metro lines terminates at the nearby Royal Brisbane Women's Hospital” ..... nearby? It’s a bloody long walk and the terrain is hardly flat. Not something you’re going to do lightly on a hot summers day or in the dark after an evening kick off. The write this as if people haven’t got google maps - the exit off the ICB is at the hospital and it’s a fair drive from there to Ballymore, who are they fooling? “and an additional stop at Ballymore would provide a simple yet elegant solution to the venue's transport woes” .... if the hospital is so close by why do they need an additional stop then and they talk as if Ballymore hasn’t been used before? I’ve been there after a decent sized rugby crowds with special busses laid on direct from the stadium, it took an hour to queue to get on the bus after the game, and half an hour to get to central station to catch the train home. Total journey time was just over two and a half hours .... and I lived 10km from Ballymore Any club that bases itself at Ballymore will have to survive on meagre crowds well below 10k ... anyone who says different has never been to Ballymore regularly on game day. It’s a bitch, you’ll do it once for s big game but you don’t do it for a full season. Ask the Reds why they don’t play there

How about Wilston Station Waz? Google maps is telling me it's a 1.3km walk to the entrance or a 15min walk, doesn't seem to be too bad.

From a Brisbane residents perspective, is it more achievable to upgrade Perry Park with it's transport links compared to Ballymore?
The main issue i see is you'll get more traction with Ballymore being that QRU will be on board for the upgrade which has some political sway.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
aussie pride - 20 Feb 2018 9:02 AM
Waz - 20 Feb 2018 7:01 AM

How about Wilston Station Waz? Google maps is telling me it's a 1.3km walk to the entrance or a 15min walk, doesn't seem to be too bad.

I've tried to get clarification on this before. I take it that foot bridge is a recent addition? Surely 1.3km isn't too much of a walk, certainly nothing compared to Sydney Central to SFS.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Being Victorian Ballymore intrigues me as an unused stadium.
Completely understand any decent upgrade would be $100m plus due to aging amenities, DDA requirements, kitchen equipment etc but I’m still interested in the venue.
Aluminium bench seating in summer would sizzle someone though lol

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Ballymoore isn’t hard to get to, but people here are pretty accustomed to the ease of Suncorp, and all the surrounding bars/restaurants. No new stadium would be more central to the city than ballymoore is either. Also to put it in perspective there is no train line to the Gabba but locals seem to be able to manage.
dr. bellows
dr. bellows
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

What about the RNA stadium at the Ekka site as an option? A 25,000 seater with a railway station at the door (albeit currently only operational during the Ekka in August). I'm not sure about it's availability. The Brisbane Bandits (baseball) have relocated to Newmarket but the RNA might have it solidly booked for one-off events.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

paladisious - 20 Feb 2018 9:14 AM
aussie pride - 20 Feb 2018 9:02 AM

I've tried to get clarification on this before. I take it that foot bridge is a recent addition? Surely 1.3km isn't too much of a walk, certainly nothing compared to Sydney Central to SFS.

Parramatta is 1.6km from the station and SFS is 1.75m from Central Station.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Winston station is a line to nowhere basically. Two trains an hour on Saturday and sundays and most people have to train into the city, change, and train out again. Using the train takes longer than using the busses.

As I said, I’ve been there for rugby games and the train is a nightmare as is the bus situation. This is an LNP project and nothing else. Football should not be used to fund a rugby stadium development.

If there’s $100m spare - redevelop a FOOTBALL ground because we haven’t got one ffs. .
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Gyfox - 20 Feb 2018 11:04 AM
paladisious - 20 Feb 2018 9:14 AM

Parramatta is 1.6km from the station and SFS is 1.75m from Central Station.

Walking from central to the SFS involves climbing up Fevoux St. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

99 Problems - 20 Feb 2018 9:37 AM
Ballymoore isn’t hard to get to, but people here are pretty accustomed to the ease of Suncorp, and all the surrounding bars/restaurants. No new stadium would be more central to the city than ballymoore is either. Also to put it in perspective there is no train line to the Gabba but locals seem to be able to manage.

Agree. 

Some of these objections are laughable.  A 15 minute walk?!  Oh the humanity.

Farking hell how soft are people these days?

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search