Where are all the great players? Australia paying price for ignoring development

Where are all the great players? Australia paying price for ignoring...

Author
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
eldorado - 29 May 2017 5:53 PM
Barca4Life - 29 May 2017 12:02 PM

Nothing to do with dumbing the game down...just strongly disputing his stats driven analysis of football.

What I'm really having a go at is his bullshit language, like a cross between a KPMG consultant and a post-modernist literature critic, and his fanatical devotion to a limited methodology that, frankly, has not succeeded in any way if one looks at results or quality of football.

"Copy the Dutch!" has been a mindless mantra for a whole lot of Daleks...although, to be fair, it's now "Copy the Germans!"

Decentric makes valid points. He also champions (the more literal) interpretations of the Dutch style. Frankly, if it were a choice between his understanding of the Dutch system and hoofball (or a host of other things), it would be a good thing to go with what Decentric says. You can listen to far worse.

The problem, imo, is this that is not an adequate representation of the reality of the situation. And it, imo, it is also rather a selective interpretation of Dutch methods. I argue it's a false dichotomy. The reality (or best option) is to be found in nuances between the two. This is not at all dissimilar to the debate proactive vs reactive football. The fact of the matter is very rarely do top sides play entirely proactive or entirely reactive football. It's usually a hybrid with a leaning more in the direction of proactive or reactive football. Imo, it's incredibly restrictive and not in the NT's best interest if they're forced to play entirely one way or another. Australia needs to be flexible (at NT level, perhaps they can be more rigid at youth levels).

Decentric - 29 May 2017 11:31 PM
City Sam - 29 May 2017 10:44 PM

I'm not going to revisit QF comments.

Sometimes what appears to make sense to lay people doesn't in a specific discipline. This is the case with football. Often what QF posits makes very logical sense, but in football methodology it doesn't. I can only say this from having done the coach education courses. Otherwise, I'd hold the same views as QF.

This is what I mean. Decentric (and not just Decentric) believe I don't understand the theory of certain formations. I, respectfully, disagree. I accept the theory of the 'football methodology' that Decentric and others speak of. And I accept that it probably is the best way of playing football when the right personnel are available. After all, that's how Barcelona and others tend to go about things. Where I disagree is how theory translates into practice. Imo, I'm reasonably strong at identifying discrepancies between theory and practice (in football and elsewhere). And I identified that, without the right personnel, this theory leads to massive weaknesses in practice. And that's, imo, where Ange went wrong. In a nutshell, trying to overwhelm the opposition with slow and/or technically weak footballers (which is overwhelmingly the case for the NT) and minimal defensive cover, results in not being able to break down the opposition and being horribly exposed on the counter.

Maybe I'm trying to be excessively logical. Maybe the value of that to which Decentric refers cannot be understood through writing. But I think what they say makes perfect sense, but for it depends on having the cattle (to get results). Otherwise it needs to be modified. I reckon how the NT have fared of late demonstrates this.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
After reading Arthur's comments in NT thread, just thought I'd bump this as it makes some interesting reading. 5years down the track, would love to hear from the "NC will fix it" fanatics on why we have actually gone backwards.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search