If you could have 1 player from the 2006 golden generation back now who would it be?

If you could have 1 player from the 2006 golden generation back now...

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Definitely Emerton or Chipperfield 
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Mark Viduka
shallow hal wants a gal
shallow hal wants a gal
World Class
World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)

No one touches a fit and inform kewell so would have to be him.
Savic
Savic
Rising Star
Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)

Crusader - 24 Sep 2017 7:25 PM
Glad someone else nominated Lazaridis, greatest Socceroo ever.

Yes he is, very true.
newton_circus
newton_circus
Amateur
Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)

If I could pick 3... 
I would say Vinnie Grella...  but I think Jendinak can cover that, with his hard ass attitude, eversince he grew that beard.

Definitely need a solid defender, and to me that would be Neil.

But ultimately we need a player who could make a difference, who could partner alongside Leckie, Cahill, Juric, Kruse,,, and that would be the Wizard of Oz,,,,  Harry Kewell.

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I can't pick between Viduka and Kewell,,,can I have both please ?
The current teams problem is not that it is "letting in goals" ...it is that it is "not scoring enough".
We don't let in a lot ...our problem is we also don't score a lot .
Most teams leak a silly goal or two ...but good teams simply score three to compensate.
We don't have that ability.
I think the current Socceroos are a good footballing team ...we just lack penetration and composure up front  .
Imagine Dukes and Harry in the current team ...would be scoring for fun . They would also help others to score.
(Dukes was a master of the tricky layoff)

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Viduka
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

newton_circus - 25 Sep 2017 10:59 AM
If I could pick 3... 
I would say Vinnie Grella...  but I think Jendinak can cover that, with his hard ass attitude, eversince he grew that beard.

Definitely need a solid defender, and to me that would be Neil.

But ultimately we need a player who could make a difference, who could partner alongside Leckie, Cahill, Juric, Kruse,,, and that would be the Wizard of Oz,,,,  Harry Kewell.

Almost agree. I'd go with Moore over Neil, but other than that, a Grella type player is a must (though don't think Jedinak is is the same category). And the Wizard is the only choice up front.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

If we aren't purely talking about plucking a player from 2006 and transplanting them in to the starting XI then it would be one of Lucas Neil at CB or "2006 Tim Cahill".

People saying Viduka or Kewell need to remember that Kewell was crocked in 2006 and Viduka's output of goals/per game ain't that great.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Schwarzer. We'd be scouting for a home base in Russia if he was in goals.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

socceroo_06 - 25 Sep 2017 12:54 PM
If we aren't purely talking about plucking a player from 2006 and transplanting them in to the starting XI then it would be one of Lucas Neil at CB or "2006 Tim Cahill". People saying Viduka or Kewell need to remember that Kewell was crocked in 2006 and Viduka's output of goals/per game ain't that great.

very good points and agree.
I dearly love Dukes for his stature/ability but at NT level he was used as the target man hold and release but not score enough.
HK was the xfactor but his injuries robbed us many times.
Both mind you wouldn't have done enough without the engine room providing it in the first place.
I can't pick just one mind you - Bresh, worker creator and could hit a ball well, Grella, the beast trenchmen mid Jedi is no where near him imo, Luca$ as many here in the past labelled him , well proves how much he's nominated here to be in the backline, a general holding last man who also could feed a ball up, we lack this type of player hugely today.
Great mentions, Lazza !, Chippers, Schwz, Emmo.

Love Football

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Kwell.... then Neil .... love Dukes as well... Vinney G as well 

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Lots saying Viduka, yet I can't remember many important games where Dukes was the difference. Nor did he score regularly at NT level - despite playing in Oceania.

I think Vinnie Grella would make a big difference to today's team. When Jedinak plays we look a bit meaner defensively, but we are very poor at building from defense. I just remember how good Grella was at getting the ball from defense and moving it on - and so very rarely caught in possession.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Has to be Neil for me as it fixes a significant weakness, as good as Kewell and Viduka were the former was ruined by injuries and the latter never performed well enough for us
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search