Australia vs France

Australia vs France

Author
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
grazorblade - 17 Jun 2018 1:31 PM
Kruse does the most off the ball had a defensively great game is one of our best if not our best at assists. Gets a lot of clever fouls

If he remembered how to shoot he would be world class

He's actually one of the best finishes in the team. Before his ACL/s he was clinical in front of goal. It's a shame that injury hampered hsi development. He'd be an elite player for us if he was injury free. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Where stats can be an issue, is often when there were two or three Aussie defenders, with 1st, 2nd and 3rd defender, a collective approach was often what resulted in the ball being turned over us.

In a number of actions, Jedi was ahead of Mooy, and Jedi's defensive pressure forced a mistake, which Mooy may have intercepted or won a tackle as third or second defender. The cluster of Aussies outnumbered the French attackers.

Hence Jedi's stats may not have been great, but he was often an integral part of a collective unit that caused a turn over.

,Also, Jedi is a rough , tough, rugged physical presence, and a very good header of the ball in midfield. He wins a lot of aerial duels, hence screening the defence.

Luongo may be a more dominant player in the Championship, but the World Cup is a level  of football a lot higher than the Championship.

A World Cup game against France is as big as it gets, with much more tactically astute coaches than the Championship, competing against opposition coaches of similar calibre and high level of training.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

socceroo_06 - 17 Jun 2018 1:33 PM

He's actually one of the best finishes in the team. Before his ACL/s he was clinical in front of goal. It's a shame that injury hampered hsi development. He'd be an elite player for us if he was injury free. 

Something like 6 goals in 60 odd Socceroo appearances indicates Kruse is a poor finisher for a winger.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Kruse does the most off the ball had a defensively great game is one of our best if not our best at assists. Gets a lot of clever fouls

Shooting is his Achilles Heel.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 1:39 PM
socceroo_06 - 17 Jun 2018 1:33 PM

Something like 6 goals in 60 odd Socceroo appearances indicates Kruse is a poor finisher for a winger.

Yeah but nearly all of those after his all. He had some very clever finishes in the bundesliga and a league before that. We never got to see the best of him sadly. He may get back to where he was after a couple more seasons
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

After seeing 70 mins of game on the replay, I'd go as far to say this game was one of our best ever, given the calibre of the opposition and the magnitude of the game.

For the purist, in terms of proactive play it was probably tough to watch.

Taking a second look at the match, there were a lot of aspects of our game which were remniscent of Italy in the last Euro Champs when they beat some big teams.
Bender Parma
Bender Parma
Hacker
Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)

Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 11:33 AM
Even though I'm renowned for  loving flashy, technical players like Ronaldo and Messi, I'm also a huge admirer of Italian defensive organisation  and tactics.

From a second look at some of the replay, Australia's covering of players who move forwards, was very good.

Such as Milligan reading and making a superb  covering run as a French attacker would've broken through from an excellent through ball.

Or, Sains covering as Risdon went forwards. When Oz lost lost the ball once, whereas we'd have been blasted by the opposition in Ange's tenure, Sains sat deeper in defence to negate the  attacking transitional, accelerated attacks from the French - who are far better at it than any Asian  team. Milligan moved more centrally to cover, whilst Behich touched in nicely on the central left. Ryan is is superb at reading and coming off his line too to sweep.

Players are supporting each so much better in BPO and Defensive Transitions.

Don't  get me wrong, I thought Ange was a great coach for the last WC, the Asian Cup and some home games in the WCQs.

But after a few games into the second round of WCQs, when opposition teams were working us out with our variations of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3, Ange lost the plot with a 4-4-2 switch , then his voodoo three at the back.

If we had had BVM we would've picked up a lot more points in away games on the road in the WCQs and qualified easily.

This current Socceroo defence  in BPO against France, looks impregnable against even the best Asian teams.

Credit to the Socceroos and BVM. They stopped France from playing to the best of their ability.

I think, from a team development point of view, our build up has been close to perfect.  

Angeball gave the side a huge confidence on the ball, but we all know they were a little exposed defensively.  With BVM coming in for the short period, he really has improved the defence and structure massively.  But the confidence on the ball from the Angeball era remains.  This side is comfortable playing out from the back where required now and a lot of that is down to the angeball experience.  As much as i would have liked to see Angeball played here, i think that this group is as good as they possibly could have been and the preparation could not have been any better. 

Hopefully they will be good enough to go further.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yeah he actually had a decent game yesterday. nice change.

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Even though I'm renowned for  loving flashy, technical players like Ronaldo and Messi

Yep, your reputation for loving players like Ronaldo and Messi precedes you everywhere you go. Very original and interesting view. Wish I could be renowned for something as unique as that, but I only like dour players with poor technique. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Bender Parma - 17 Jun 2018 2:07 PM

I think, from a team development point of view, our build up has been close to perfect.  

Angeball gave the side a huge confidence on the ball, but we all know they were a little exposed defensively.  With BVM coming in for the short period, he really has improved the defence and structure massively.  But the confidence on the ball from the Angeball era remains.  This side is comfortable playing out from the back where required now and a lot of that is down to the angeball experience.  As much as i would have liked to see Angeball played here, i think that this group is as good as they possibly could have been and the preparation could not have been any better. 

Hopefully they will be good enough to go further.

I think you encapsulate the best points of our development very succinctly in this post, Bender Parma.

Fair play to you.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Derider - 17 Jun 2018 2:46 PM

Yep, your reputation for loving players like Ronaldo and Messi precedes you everywhere you go. Very original and interesting view. Wish I could be renowned for something as unique as that, but I only like dour players with poor technique. 

What?
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 17 Jun 2018 1:45 PM
Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 1:39 PM

Yeah but nearly all of those after his all. He had some very clever finishes in the bundesliga and a league before that. We never got to see the best of him sadly. He may get back to where he was after a couple more seasons

5 goals from 65 Socceroo appearances for Kruse.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 2:51 PM
Derider - 17 Jun 2018 2:46 PM

What?

I thought it was funny how you said you were "renowned" for liking players like Ronaldo and Messi. You can't really be renowned for something so generic. 

I'm just giving you shit coz I'm bored :)
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Just like to point out how fantastic N'Golo Kante is, really showed his class last night even if it was shitting me to tears. Take him out of that France team and they're in trouble IMO

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

TrickyTrees
TrickyTrees
Super Fan
Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)Super Fan (120 reputation)

Agree on Kante, MOTM was either him or Sainsbury.

I've seen a few outlets go with lazy selections of Griezmann or Pogba.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

marconi101 - 17 Jun 2018 3:33 PM
Just like to point out how fantastic N'Golo Kante is, really showed his class last night even if it was shitting me to tears. Take him out of that France team and they're in trouble IMO

He was the French player I thought  was their best. He kept Rogic quiet. Kante was a veritable thorn in our side.

Don't know much about his club career.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Derider - 17 Jun 2018 3:06 PM

I thought it was funny how you said you were "renowned" for liking players like Ronaldo and Messi. You can't really be renowned for something so generic. 

I'm just giving you shit coz I'm bored :)

You might not have been on this forum for that long, but these guys are renowned as  exceptional ball players, not tackling, jockeying, showing, marking, tracking back, and all the grafting aspects of football.

I can coach players to do nearly all Ronaldo's tricks step by step, and pretty slowly, apart from Elastico or the Brazilian Elastic, but Iove how he used to do so many in one game. He doesn't seem to do them as often in the games I've watched recently.

I'm sure Rogic used to do a few more tricks too. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

TrickyTrees - 17 Jun 2018 3:51 PM
Agree on Kante, MOTM was either him or Sainsbury.I've seen a few outlets go with lazy selections of Griezmann or Pogba.

I'm at the 70 minute mark of the replay. Milligan and Mooy had good games too. Behich was also pretty decent.

The French RB was also pretty decent.
belgium1
belgium1
Super Fan
Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)

Deja vu feeling again, proud but again so disappointed.
Australia played the perfect game to deserve the draw, maybe with some more arrogance we could have pushed it for the 3 points but than you will give away more space and are more vulnerable for counter attacks.

Trent was the standout player, should have gone to Ajax or PSV and not to China. Australia was hard done by decisions by referee or VAR, if you follow up on the new rules concerning `denying goal scoring opportunity` you have to give a red card to  the French player. he deliberately raising his arm without being challenged by any Australian player around him, so it should been a red card.

Juric has to start the next game because we have to create more and not only can sit back and defend for the whole game.

Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Oops double post
Edited
6 Years Ago by Redcarded
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Talking of defensive shape i was super impressed with how quickly we got into shape when losing the ball. Under ange we would often be all over the place at that time. I was worried about risdon getting exposed for pace and technique but he had leckie to help cover. Risdon lacked the guile and pace of behich but contributed more going forward than i thought he would. 
Mooys defensive shift was great. Thought rogic could have done more and noticed his second touch was often heavy and got him into trouble. Also disappointed he seems to have left his shooting boots behind. Interestingly didnt see the long switching passes from milligan to behich that helped pull the czechs out of defensive shape. 
Massive defensive improvement but what to do to make our ball possession worthwhile? Nabbout was a great choice initially for his defensive energy. An ever ready bunny. However we need strikers to also strike. Both wingbacks overlspped behind at times but either couldnt or made poor crosses into the box. Our dead ball chances amounted to little as well which was criminal. 
Also around the 80th min our players ran out of steam. I know being in bpo is more tiring but bvm also knows that. Our players should have been better conditioned.
More i think about it starting irvine over rogic may have put more defensive steel in the midfield
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 11:36 AM
grazorblade - 17 Jun 2018 11:11 AM

The French DM who played on Rogic was very good.

Was it Kampe?

Kante. 

Best French player for me.
PricklePear
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

France’s Hernandez Cleared To Play Next Game Despite Sustaining 11 Separate Concussions
By  on June 17, 2018

hernandez france

In what has been described as a miracle recovery, France’s Lucas Hernandez will line up against Peru next week despite suffering from 11 concussions and a broken leg in the game against Australia.Hernandez – who also sustained a spinal injury in the second half – bravely played out the game against Australia even though he broke his leg in the 11th minute, and was frequently concussed.“It’s amazing how he gets these quite serious injuries game after game, but then seems to recover. It’s so brave,” one observer said.Doctors are concerned for Hernandez’s safety should he come up against serious physical contact in the next game. “If he is actually pushed or elbowed, there are concerns he might die,” one medical professional said.

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2018/06/17/frances-hernandez-cleared-to-play-next-game-despite-sustaining-11-separate-concussions/

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

PricklePear - 17 Jun 2018 6:39 PM

France’s Hernandez Cleared To Play Next Game Despite Sustaining 11 Separate Concussions
By  on June 17, 2018

hernandez france

In what has been described as a miracle recovery, France’s Lucas Hernandez will line up against Peru next week despite suffering from 11 concussions and a broken leg in the game against Australia.Hernandez – who also sustained a spinal injury in the second half – bravely played out the game against Australia even though he broke his leg in the 11th minute, and was frequently concussed.“It’s amazing how he gets these quite serious injuries game after game, but then seems to recover. It’s so brave,” one observer said.Doctors are concerned for Hernandez’s safety should he come up against serious physical contact in the next game. “If he is actually pushed or elbowed, there are concerns he might die,” one medical professional said.

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2018/06/17/frances-hernandez-cleared-to-play-next-game-despite-sustaining-11-separate-concussions/

The biggest fuckwit ever. Worse than Robben and that's only one game. So annoying the ref blew multiple times when there was nothing in it. 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 1:47 PM
After seeing 70 mins of game on the replay, I'd go as far to say this game was one of our best ever, given the calibre of the opposition and the magnitude of the game.

For the purist, in terms of proactive play it was probably tough to watch.

Taking a second look at the match, there were a lot of aspects of our game which were remniscent of Italy in the last Euro Champs when they beat some big teams.

Good point decentric, very mch like that Italian team tactically. Slow build up from the back, brought the other team forward to then move the ball quickly once in final third
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Decentric - 17 Jun 2018 1:40 PM

Shooting is his Achilles Heel.

His crossing is poor too. Fantastic at making runs in behind then cutting the ball back but cant put in a high cross to save himself.  
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Derider - 17 Jun 2018 3:06 PM

I thought it was funny how you said you were "renowned" for liking players like Ronaldo and Messi.

Will update Ronaldo's and Messi's Wikipedia pages accordingly.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

When Juric was fouled on 76. Irvine came in behind and wanted the ball for a quick free. Leckie was offside still but I like his awareness and urgency.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Basic Requirements for Managing Free Kicks set by the UEFA:

If at all possible, the referee should know the tendencies of the teams and the individual players before the game so he can facilitate their style. 
There are two types of free kicks with separate methods for managing each: 
Quick Free Kicks (QFK) and Ceremonial Free Kicks (CFK). 

Quick Free Kicks (QFK)

Definition: The attacking team takes the kick as soon as the ball is properly placed, with no separate signal needed by the referee. The attacking team does not ask for (verbally or visually) the minimum distance to be enforced

Ceremonial Free Kicks (CFK)

Definition: The kick cannot be taken by the attacking team until the referee gives a separate signal – the whistle under the following circumstances: 
  1. The attacking team requests a CFK by asking the referee (verbally or visually) for the minimum distance to be enforced or “to move the wall back.”
  2. The referee or assistant referee (AR), with the referee’s acknowledgment,
chooses to enforce the distance for game management purposes. 
CFK must only be used when: 
  1. A red or yellow card is to be given for misconduct occurring prior to the restart.
  2. A serious injury occurred requiring the trainer to enter the field to attend to but not treat the player (or on the field treatment of an injured goalkeeper)
  3. The attacking team requests that the minimum distance requirement be enforced against the opponents.
  4. The referee decides to slow down the tempo of the match for game control purposes (for example, to have an extended/formal conversation with a player).

"if a player decides to take a free kick and an opponent who is less than 10 yards from the ball intercepts it, the referee must allow play to continue.” 
and 
"If a player decides to take a free kick quickly and an opponent who is near the ball deliberately prevents him from taking the kick, the referee must caution the player for delaying the restart of play."
However, there have been instances where this rule has been violated. I think those are just one of the times when the referee got it wrong. Happens all the time. Try to find the villareal vs arsenal 14th april UEFA champions league clash. Fabregas gets cautioned for his QFK.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

So the Tolisso yellow prevented Irvine being able to play it anyway. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search