Change Australia Day

Change Australia Day

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Captain Haddock - 18 Jan 2018 1:39 PM
^ Dafuq?

Yeah  that is a head scratcher. 

I happen to think Briggs is a giant fat flog.  Does that make me a racist?

Member since 2008.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 18 Jan 2018 3:37 PM
Captain Haddock - 18 Jan 2018 1:39 PM

Yeah  that is a head scratcher. 

I happen to think Briggs is a giant fat flog.  Does that make me a racist?

Weightist

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

@Rusty (sorry I can’t quote from phone)

Waitangi Day has only been celebrated as New Zealand’s national day since the late 1940s. It has been proclaimed as the New Zealand national day since 1974.

Prior to this, most white New Zealanders celebrated the National Day on January 29th, the date at which the British landed with a mandate to take the land. The New Zealand government did make a conscious effort over many decades to erase the previous national celebration day and replace it with Waitangi Day.

I am aware of the controversy around the Waitangi treaty,
notably that sovereignty was ceded to the Crown and that not all the Indigenous New Zealand chiefs signed it. Nevertheless the 1840 treaty did give full legal rights to the Maori (something Aboriginal Australians would not achieve until 1967), and there are other compensatory clauses that have been shown to have legal force over decades.

Of course this did not mean the Maori did not face discrimination.

The principle here, though, is important. The New Zealand National day celebrates the ceding of sovereignty by negotiation and the creation of a state where Maori were given full citizenship rights.

Our National day celebrates the forceful, unlawful removal of sovereignty from Aboriginal people by military force, disease and (in a few places) conduct that we today would call genocide.

The New Zealand National day has been changed from a moment of forceful conquest to a treaty. Ours still commemorates conquest.

By the way you mentioned that Canada’s National day celebrates the unification of the British states. That’s correct. If we were to follow the same precedent, our National day would be on January 1st.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 18 Jan 2018 5:43 PM
Munrubenmuz - 18 Jan 2018 3:37 PM

Weightist

Heightist too. You Nazis makes me ill. 

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

rusty - 15 Jan 2018 3:13 PM
Yay or nay?

In my opinion Australia Day is a day of celebration , particularly for Indigenous Australians as this was the day civilisation was brought to their country.  Not denying that terrible stuff happened, but in the media, schools and academia all we ever hear about is the terrible stuff, which is usually distorted and overblown to support the white oppressor, black victim narrative, and if you mention all the positive things such as the wheel, medicine, technology, education etc, you are automatically branded as a white supremacist and racist.  Anyway token gestures such as changing the date of national won't improve indigenous fortunes one iota, if anything it will further entrench feelings of hopelessness and victimisation as it will be an admission that the first fleet was an invasion and all the awful connotations that come with that.

Bloody romans.

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Lastbroadcast - 19 Jan 2018 12:04 AM
@Rusty (sorry I can’t quote from phone)Waitangi Day has only been celebrated as New Zealand’s national day since the late 1940s. It has been proclaimed as the New Zealand national day since 1974. Prior to this, most white New Zealanders celebrated the National Day on January 29th, the date at which the British landed with a mandate to take the land. The New Zealand government did make a conscious effort over many decades to erase the previous national celebration day and replace it with Waitangi Day. I am aware of the controversy around the Waitangi treaty, notably that sovereignty was ceded to the Crown and that not all the Indigenous New Zealand chiefs signed it. Nevertheless the 1840 treaty did give full legal rights to the Maori (something Aboriginal Australians would not achieve until 1967), and there are other compensatory clauses that have been shown to have legal force over decades. Of course this did not mean the Maori did not face discrimination. The principle here, though, is important. The New Zealand National day celebrates the ceding of sovereignty by negotiation and the creation of a state where Maori were given full citizenship rights. Our National day celebrates the forceful, unlawful removal of sovereignty from Aboriginal people by military force, disease and (in a few places) conduct that we today would call genocide. The New Zealand National day has been changed from a moment of forceful conquest to a treaty. Ours still commemorates conquest.By the way you mentioned that Canada’s National day celebrates the unification of the British states. That’s correct. If we were to follow the same precedent, our National day would be on January 1st.

A treaty that has in most parts, held NZ back. Land claims and subsequent economic issues were one of the reasons why my parents decided to leave for Aus. Parts of my grandparents farm were 'claimed'. Surprise surprise these were the most fertile and well cultivated areas. 

The treaty has also been used to screw over the government on major construction projects like this one: http://tvnz.co.nz/content/143607/2591764.xhtml 

I have no issues with the Maori's in NZ but the country seems hell bent on appeasing the small vocal minority of maoris who seem to think the country owes them something. We can' allow that to happen here. 

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

scubaroo - 19 Jan 2018 12:56 AM
rusty - 15 Jan 2018 3:13 PM

Bloody romans.

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

'Brought peace.'

Member since 2008.

thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Do we even need a "National" day? The UK doesn't have one.
Why not move the "National" day to January 1st, which makes sense, re-name it Federation Day and make it the "National" day and then just throw another public holiday anywhere you like for what ever reason. You could have "Summer Day" as a nationwide public holiday on the first weekend of Feb or something, just not as the "National" Day.
You could even make ANZAC Day (the only other nationally recognised non-religious public holiday), the "National" day. It has some controversy around it but not so much these days.

The "National" day doesn't have to be all about flag-waving, fireworks, BBQ party parades.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 19 Jan 2018 10:15 AM
scubaroo - 19 Jan 2018 12:56 AM

'Brought peace.'

Peace? SHUT UP!

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

thewitness - 19 Jan 2018 11:48 AM
Why not move the "National" day to January 1st, which makes sense, re-name it Federation Day and make it the "National" day and then just throw another public holiday anywhere you like for what ever reason. You could have "Summer Day" as a nationwide public holiday on the first weekend of Feb or something, just not as the "National" Day.
You could even make ANZAC Day (the only other nationally recognised non-religious public holiday), the "National" day. It has some controversy around it but not so much these days.

The "National" day doesn't have to be all about flag-waving, fireworks, BBQ party parades.

January 1st is already called Federation Day. I thought this is why it is declared a public holiday.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Former foz user Eastern Glory put me onto this gem:

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

thewitness - 19 Jan 2018 11:48 AM

Except for St Georges Day, St Andrews Day, St Davids Day and St Patricks Day

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro

pv4 - 22 Jan 2018 10:56 AM
Former foz user Eastern Glory put me onto this gem:

"Who gives a shit when Australia Day is?" This sums up the Left for me.
People who share my opinion = People that count
People who don't share my opinion = Fucking nobodies c*nt
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Friendlyjordies on point.

https://www.facebook.com/friendlyjordies/videos/1589835891137226/

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

sydneyfc1987 - 22 Jan 2018 5:59 PM

Lol at some of those comments. It just reflects what I've observed this far, that the people who are making the biggest fuss about changing the date are:

a) White people taking offence on behalf of a group of people they assume all must think the same way 
b) City-dwelling people cashing in on the small degree of Aboriginal heritage they have 

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

i just dont get the resistance to changing it. why the fuck not. some people have a real issue with the date which has been pretty arbitrarily picked from a range of dates. just stop being a pack of cnuts and let us pick a better day.

you get to have you flag waving douchery and it doesnt rub shit in peoples faces. it's win win.

imo it should be labour day. and we should get two days straight.  workers rights are what has been the greatest thing in this country. it's what gives us quality of life and came from real solidarity amongst australians. it would be sick maaate.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Why are we forced to always feel bad for previous generations wrong doings?
I grew up as a minority white and remember australia day being celebrated in towns like walgett, bourke and brewarrina. I came to victoria and it barely existed.

My family have a heritage of fleeing persecution, just on my mother's side her father's family fled prussia through religious persecution to return and then flee again during war, then on her mother's side her ancestors were moriori on chatham island. I barely even exist! But im here and its cool, though the football needs to be better. 

I love australia day, im not a flag waver but a bbq with mates is just perfect.

Just bloody change the date.  Then we can get onto the next thing to complain about. Though i doubt it would ever be that easy.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

scubaroo - 23 Jan 2018 2:18 AM
I grew up as a minority white and remember australia day being celebrated in towns like walgett, bourke and brewarrina. I came to victoria and it barely existed.

My family have a heritage of fleeing persecution, just on my mother's side her father's family fled prussia through religious persecution to return and then flee again during war, then on her mother's side her ancestors were moriori on chatham island. I barely even exist! But im here and its cool, though the football needs to be better. 

Just bloody change the date.  Then we can get onto the next thing to complain about. Though i doubt it would ever be that easy.
You are right it will be the next thing. Just read some of the comments on the blackfulla revolution FB page. It's full of racist sentiments.....(from both sides, fair share of trolling too).  

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

The guy sometimes has opinions that I agree with but his arguments for it are always terrible. Geez, what a dumpster fire that video is.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Aug 6th

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

His portrayal of "race perverts" vs normal people is spot-on though...

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

scubaroo - 23 Jan 2018 2:18 AM

And that's where there's quite the conundrum, we love to beat the drum of celebrating Australia and multiculturalism (which in itself is immigration or invasion of this land of all races that aren't ATSI).

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I think the whole point of NOT moving it is a bit silly when the date has been moved several times already. While I agree we shouldn't always go around "changing our history" I find it hard to follow that line of thinking if there are people out there that are affected or feel aggrieved by the date that it is now. 

I do also think that a lot of the rise in noise about Australia/Invasion Day is due to the general increase in social outrage in the last few years made popular by the likes of social media soapboxes (just an observation).

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

mcjules - 23 Jan 2018 10:46 AM

The guy sometimes has opinions that I agree with but his arguments for it are always terrible. Geez, what a dumpster fire that video is.

Hahaha I just love the fact he goes after the attention seeking media/"news" sights like Buzzfeed, Pedestrian, Mamamia etc.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Dan_The_Red - 16 Jan 2018 9:25 PM
Hopefully doesnt change. The 26th marks the start of colonisation, which was the beginning for the country known as Australia. Nothing could be more appropriate. The left is social cancer, always finding reasons to dump guilt on white Australians. 

Here here, I vote NO :)

something in press today
Rita Panahi, Herald Sun
January 24, 2018 10:36am
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opi...aa4e432e74edd4
Quote:
AUSTRALIAN celebrities have learnt nothing from their US brethren about the fatuity of playing politics. Other than alienating half their potential audience — closer to 90 per cent if they’re slamming Australia Day — artists tend to do their political cause more harm than good.
Just about every actor, singer, athlete and comedian publicly backed Hillary Clinton and we all know how well that turned out. There’s been much written about how Clinton’s celebrity endorsements were ultimately counter-productive.
That those in the artistic community lean further Left than the average member of the socialist alliance is nothing new, but now they can share their harebrained views of the world via social media.
They say never meet your heroes to save yourself disappointment. The same could be said about following them on social media where you’re typically regaled with insipid, ill-informed political insights on everything from border protection (it’s bad and racist) to Australia Day (it’s bad and racist).
It not only betrays how hopelessly out of touch most musicians and actors are with the mainstream but is also a sobering reminder that prolonged drug use can severely diminish cognitive skills. Stay off the pipe, kids.
The campaign against our national day is as tiresome as it is futile and assorted celebrities jumping on the miserable activist bandwagon isn’t going to change hearts and minds.
Let’s be honest: changing the date or the name of the day won’t change a thing other than rewarding the loudest, most divisive agitators. It would not make one iota of difference to those genuinely disadvantaged in remote communities nor shut up the self-loathers who just want an outlet for their unending supply of outrage.
If you’ve had the misfortune of watching or listening to the ABC or reading the plethora of Leftist publications, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Australia Day is a celebration of genocide and white power.
Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of the country love the national day for what it actually represents and want it to remain on January 26, despite the nonsense put forward recently by a Leftist “think tank”.
Last year a poll commissioned by The Guardian, but carried out by a reputable polling company, found that 85 per cent wanted to keep Australia Day on January 26, with a similar number against any efforts to rename the day.
Despite the years of media coverage painting the day as deeply divisive, only 6 per cent of Australians felt negatively towards Australia Day.
Sadly, it’s that 6 per cent who are given disproportionate coverage in the media.
Among migrants, support for Australia Day was even higher, with 87 per cent against changing the date.
Even among indigenous Australians, only one in three felt negatively about Australia Day, while half supported changing the date. Hardly the consensus that we’ve been sold.
Less scientific polls completed in recent days back up those findings, including a Channel Seven poll that showed three in four are against changing the date.
It’s clear that, just like the rest of the population, there is great diversity of opinion among the indigenous community and it’s time we listened to a broader range of voices rather than the usual dial-a-quote activists.
Aboriginal leaders such as Jacinta Price and Dr Anthony Dillon are fed up with the annual debate.
“Dumping Australia Day is a bad idea firstly because it’s a distraction from more serious issues like child abuse, violence, homelessness and unemployment and, secondly, it promotes the myth that Aboriginal people are upset by a date,” Dr Dillon told the Herald Sun. “If you really want to help Aboriginal people, do something practical. People celebrate that day because Australia is a great place to live ... no one is celebrating genocide.”
Price believes the “crippling state of mourning” encouraged by some in the community is damaging.
“The future is far more important to me than our past,” she wrote. “Why aren’t these people who protest about changing the date as concerned about the Aboriginal people affected by domestic violence, alcohol and drug abuse? Why aren’t the marches for murdered Aboriginal women as big as the marches on Australia Day? I don’t want anyone to feel guilty or bad for feeling joy and celebrating a country we love.”
If you live in Australia, whether you were fortunate enough to be born here or migrated here as I have, then you have won the lottery of life.
In a relatively short period Australia has become a nation that we can all be immensely proud of: a tolerant, welcoming and peaceful corner of the world. We are one of the most desirable places on the planet to call home and have built a peaceful, prosperous and egalitarian society.
Having the likes of Darren Hayes, Pat Cash, Shane Jacobson or Jimmy Barnes jump on the “change-the-date” bandwagon will not do anything other than irritate a few of their fans.
Australians are too smart to be swayed by celebrity opinion. Barnes in particular has been particularly active on social media in recent weeks.
The rocker and sometime cruise-boat crooner took to twitter to abuse Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, Minister for Environment and Energy Josh Frydenberg and most recently Australian Conservatives senator Cory Bernardi.
The reaction of certain musicians to Bernardi’s Australia Day playlist was particularly petulant. Fancy a musician trying to dictate who can or cannot listen to their music or add their track to a Spotify playlist.
The more we discuss Australia Day, the clearer it is that there is a chasm between community sentiment and attitudes pushed by media, political and celebrity class.
Rita Panahi is a Herald Sun columnist

Love Football

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Ah friend of the forum, Rita Panahi. Her observations are always on point. I'm converted! 

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

LFC. - 24 Jan 2018 4:19 PM
Dan_The_Red - 16 Jan 2018 9:25 PM

Here here, I vote NO :)

something in press today
Rita Panahi, Herald Sun
January 24, 2018 10:36am
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opi...aa4e432e74edd4
Quote:
AUSTRALIAN celebrities have learnt nothing from their US brethren about the fatuity of playing politics. Other than alienating half their potential audience — closer to 90 per cent if they’re slamming Australia Day — artists tend to do their political cause more harm than good.
Just about every actor, singer, athlete and comedian publicly backed Hillary Clinton and we all know how well that turned out. There’s been much written about how Clinton’s celebrity endorsements were ultimately counter-productive.
That those in the artistic community lean further Left than the average member of the socialist alliance is nothing new, but now they can share their harebrained views of the world via social media.
They say never meet your heroes to save yourself disappointment. The same could be said about following them on social media where you’re typically regaled with insipid, ill-informed political insights on everything from border protection (it’s bad and racist) to Australia Day (it’s bad and racist).
It not only betrays how hopelessly out of touch most musicians and actors are with the mainstream but is also a sobering reminder that prolonged drug use can severely diminish cognitive skills. Stay off the pipe, kids.
The campaign against our national day is as tiresome as it is futile and assorted celebrities jumping on the miserable activist bandwagon isn’t going to change hearts and minds.
Let’s be honest: changing the date or the name of the day won’t change a thing other than rewarding the loudest, most divisive agitators. It would not make one iota of difference to those genuinely disadvantaged in remote communities nor shut up the self-loathers who just want an outlet for their unending supply of outrage.
If you’ve had the misfortune of watching or listening to the ABC or reading the plethora of Leftist publications, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Australia Day is a celebration of genocide and white power.
Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of the country love the national day for what it actually represents and want it to remain on January 26, despite the nonsense put forward recently by a Leftist “think tank”.
Last year a poll commissioned by The Guardian, but carried out by a reputable polling company, found that 85 per cent wanted to keep Australia Day on January 26, with a similar number against any efforts to rename the day.
Despite the years of media coverage painting the day as deeply divisive, only 6 per cent of Australians felt negatively towards Australia Day.
Sadly, it’s that 6 per cent who are given disproportionate coverage in the media.
Among migrants, support for Australia Day was even higher, with 87 per cent against changing the date.
Even among indigenous Australians, only one in three felt negatively about Australia Day, while half supported changing the date. Hardly the consensus that we’ve been sold.
Less scientific polls completed in recent days back up those findings, including a Channel Seven poll that showed three in four are against changing the date.
It’s clear that, just like the rest of the population, there is great diversity of opinion among the indigenous community and it’s time we listened to a broader range of voices rather than the usual dial-a-quote activists.
Aboriginal leaders such as Jacinta Price and Dr Anthony Dillon are fed up with the annual debate.
“Dumping Australia Day is a bad idea firstly because it’s a distraction from more serious issues like child abuse, violence, homelessness and unemployment and, secondly, it promotes the myth that Aboriginal people are upset by a date,” Dr Dillon told the Herald Sun. “If you really want to help Aboriginal people, do something practical. People celebrate that day because Australia is a great place to live ... no one is celebrating genocide.”
Price believes the “crippling state of mourning” encouraged by some in the community is damaging.
“The future is far more important to me than our past,” she wrote. “Why aren’t these people who protest about changing the date as concerned about the Aboriginal people affected by domestic violence, alcohol and drug abuse? Why aren’t the marches for murdered Aboriginal women as big as the marches on Australia Day? I don’t want anyone to feel guilty or bad for feeling joy and celebrating a country we love.”
If you live in Australia, whether you were fortunate enough to be born here or migrated here as I have, then you have won the lottery of life.
In a relatively short period Australia has become a nation that we can all be immensely proud of: a tolerant, welcoming and peaceful corner of the world. We are one of the most desirable places on the planet to call home and have built a peaceful, prosperous and egalitarian society.
Having the likes of Darren Hayes, Pat Cash, Shane Jacobson or Jimmy Barnes jump on the “change-the-date” bandwagon will not do anything other than irritate a few of their fans.
Australians are too smart to be swayed by celebrity opinion. Barnes in particular has been particularly active on social media in recent weeks.
The rocker and sometime cruise-boat crooner took to twitter to abuse Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, Minister for Environment and Energy Josh Frydenberg and most recently Australian Conservatives senator Cory Bernardi.
The reaction of certain musicians to Bernardi’s Australia Day playlist was particularly petulant. Fancy a musician trying to dictate who can or cannot listen to their music or add their track to a Spotify playlist.
The more we discuss Australia Day, the clearer it is that there is a chasm between community sentiment and attitudes pushed by media, political and celebrity class.
Rita Panahi is a Herald Sun columnist

She totally missed the point with Savage Garden's rebut of this playlist. It was because Bernardi was using it a political tool not that the song was on the list for Australia Day. Savage Garden didn't want to be linked to the grandstanding that Bernardi was making.

I love how she uses the Guardian poll (from a reputable poll company she mentions), then in the same article mentions a Channel 7 poll (but no innenudos that it could be bias being on Seven, with Seven Media traditionally being more conservative). Journalism at it's absolute worse ... or is she a blogger ... then perhaps could be forgiven for her poor journalistic style.

I think most people have "abused" Peter Dutton ... sort of reap what you sow I suppose.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mcjules - 24 Jan 2018 4:51 PM
Ah friend of the forum, Rita Panahi. Her observations are always on point. I'm converted! 

Far too right of extreme left for you Jules haha!

Muz
Muz
Legend

On another matter I had a conversation yesterday when someone said 'aboriginal'.  I said 'well you're not supposed to call them that anymore, you're supposed to say "indigenous".

Third person steps in and says 'actually you can't call them that either, you should say "first nations or first nations people".'

Lo and behold on that Tom Ballard ABC show there's Tom using the term 'first nations'.

Has the world gone mad?  Do 'blackfellas' actually care or are SJW's getting outraged on their behalf?

Need this bloke to answer:  http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/aboriginal-friend-asked-to-speak-on-behalf-of-700000-people-in-passing-conversation/

Member since 2008.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

Left winger's despise any form of patriotism & nationalism in any form. Their pathetic agenda is so transparent.  

Going to a bunch of Australia Day celebrations tommorrow, I look forward to the little self righteous whiny socialist fucks turning up.  

Happy Australia Day & the self hating losers can go fuck themselves.   

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

BETHFC - 24 Jan 2018 6:42 PM
mcjules - 24 Jan 2018 4:51 PM

Far too right of extreme left for you Jules haha!

Well yeah but mostly it's because she's proven plenty of times that she can't put a decent argument forward and support it with facts. She's just an outrage merchant peddling to people that already have a certain point of view. People here should be wary of it because they saw it first hand when they published her column about hooligans but i know confirmation bias is strong.

As I mentioned before, aside from the video posted in this thread (and a couple of others), friendlyjordies videos often agree with my view on things but his arguments are usually poor and often sensationalised. He's a Panahi/Devine/Bolt for under 35 males with a left of centre (economically) point of view.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search