A-League clubs told Tasmanian FIFO games over, homegrown soccer team the priority

A-League clubs told Tasmanian FIFO games over, homegrown soccer team...

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
scott21 - 22 Feb 2018 10:31 PM
I know nothing about Tasmania. Except they like to chop wood.If you caught a ferry from Melbourne where does it go? (Fastest/best)Is there a stadium there?Tas gov should be going hard pushing tourism. Especially from Melbourne. Create a Victory to Tasmania weekend long weekend each season (in a closed league of course)

Tasmania is supposedly the current most popular tourist destination in Australia.

There are a number of Victory supporters on this forum who want  a Tasmanian HAL team, because of the possible trip to the state with Victory. They are repeat visitors.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
angusozi - 17 Feb 2018 10:05 AM
Decentric - 17 Feb 2018 8:13 AM

Exactly. I had a TCA membership as a teen, and I went to most games and now that I've moved to the mainland around various small cities and towns every couple of years for work I still stream them all. As much as I love football, the only team I can really form an attachement to is the Socceroos so my interest in the A-League also declining, to the point of irrelevance during cricket season. I feel that many Tasmanians aside you and I also feel the same, and even sadder, so many just probably haven't gotten into football because of it. I know this is an argument that we both wheel out in every thread, but everyone seriously estimates how much its "Tasmanian, then Australian" for us, and Tasmanains just thrive on being us vs them with the rest of the country. I think some clever marketing by a Tasmanian A-League club through the enormous amounts of grassroots football that is played amongst kids- free/discounted tickets etc could drag in a lot of parents to the games and hopefully you'd build a nice support base that way.

In the past HAL practice games, I saw a lot of stakeholders in NPL and regional football attend games who don't have any interest in the current HAL comp with no Tassie club to follow. Their position has been to follow the best football on TV one can see with no parochial HAL interest  - in Europe and South A.

I think it could be a uniting force. I don't know about whether it should be Hobart based, but eventually with a 2nd  HAL Tier there could  be a club in Launceston as well.

Currently grass roots and state league AFL comps are in crisis with little financial support from the AFL hierarchy. If FFA move now, they could destroy support for AFL in Tasmania with the younger generation
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Labor has pledged $1.2 million to upgrade KGV Football Park. Hobart Zebras player Danielle Kannegiesser, left, and Glenorchy Knights player Tom Sherman, right, with Labor’s Denison candidates Madeleine Ogilvie, Tim Cox, Scott Bacon, Ella Haddad and Zelinda Sherlock. Picture: SAM ROSEWARNE
Labor has pledged $1.2 million to upgrade KGV Football Park. Hobart Zebras player Danielle Kannegiesser, left, and Glenorchy Knights player Tom Sherman, right, with Labor’s Denison candidates Madeleine Ogilvie, Tim Cox, Scott Bacon, Ella Haddad and Zelinda Sherlock. Picture: SAM ROSEWARNE

Tasmanian State Election 2018: Labor pledges to give soccer a $1.2 million kick along

Ads by Kiosked

FOOTBALL of the round ball variety continues to score goals with Labor pledging $1.2 million to upgrade KGV Football Park if elected.

Following on from the announcement of A-League expansion, opening the door for a possible Tasmanian team, and continued strong participation, the state’s home of football will receive funding for upgraded men’s and women’s change rooms, medical, canteen and parenting rooms and other spectator facilities if a majority Labor government is elected.

MORE: A-LEAGUE EXPANSION COULD PUT TASSIE ON THE MAP

MORE: DOMINIC LONGO BACKS TASSIE’S A-LEAGUE BID

Football Federation Tasmania chief executive Mike Palmer said while the investment would not make KGV A-League compliant, it would make it the premium venue for local competitions.

He said he hoped Labor’s commitment would be backed by the Liberals.

“We would certainly like to be in a position that come the election result we do well out of that and we are hoping that will be the case,” Mr Palmer said.

“We are very grateful for the political support we get but we think we deserve it.

“We are a very high participation sport, we certainly think we justify a fair bit of investment and we’d like to see that happen.”

Labor’s commitment to KGV is on top of a $2.5 million package to grassroots clubs.

Opposition Treasury spokesman Scott Bacon said Labor would co-contribute funding with Football Federation Tasmania and local clubs towards major facility upgrades of 20 clubs around Tasmania.

“This money will go towards major upgrades at clubs all over Tasmania including upgrades to lighting and change room facilities,” Mr Bacon said.

“We can increase participation and create healthier communities by investing in our local clubs.”

Both main parties have also pledged money for an artificial pitch in Launceston, matching the all-weather surfaces already in operation in Hobart and Devonport.

Mr Palmer also said if the Tasmanian A-League bid was successful, there would be further demand for venues and facilities.

“If we were able to get an A-League team there is no doubt the (participation) numbers would only go up and that would put even greater pressure on infrastructure,” Mr Palmer said.

“So this is all very timely in advance of that happening.”

Tasmanian State Election 2018: Labor pledges to give soccer a $1.2 million kick along | The Mercury

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Story image for ffa from The Mercury

Football Federation Tasmania loses states top sports admin as ...

The Mercury-9 hours ago
“The fact they (FFA) have announced expansion is really, really timely for us and the consortium that is going to represent Tasmania. “The other thing is the consortium is real, it is genuine that has the expertise and the resources and also the cash backing to make it work. “While others have talked about having teams no ...

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search