Morris Iemma’s plan to shake up the stagnating A-League

Morris Iemma’s plan to shake up the stagnating A-League

Author
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
karta - 17 Feb 2018 4:00 PM
aussie pride - 17 Feb 2018 2:48 PM

I may be completely wrong here but I was told back when it was redeveloped that it was kept as an oval so that the local schools can continue holding athletic carnivals there.

Doesn't matter - it won't be there long. It is too valuable a piece of real estate. Close to 2 stations - it will be sold for medium or high density housing. Better for the Southern Expansion bid to quickly build their stadium so St George can have a place to play (that football would control).      

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

aussie pride - 17 Feb 2018 3:02 PM
Without knowing the regions too well, I wish southern expansion would focus solely on Sutherland and St George regions.Playing games mainly at Shark Park would intrude less on Sydney FC but still provide a option with a region that is quiet proud.Shark Park is the ideal size for a-League expansion and I believe Olympic played games there in the NSL and got ok crowds there. I remember posting their crowds at the venue ranged between 4-6k which was pretty decent in the nsl era

Shark Park alienates too many of their target audience. That is the reason for the stadium at Loftus. It can draw from both the Kogarah line and the Sutherland line. They should concentrate  on the Shire, St George and even Canterbury-Bankstown areas and leave the Gong out of it.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Wollongong is not part of the Sydney tv zone. They will not get their own team over a bid like this.

In fact it puts them quite down the list.
Edited
6 Years Ago by scott21
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

patjennings - 17 Feb 2018 4:05 PM
karta - 17 Feb 2018 4:00 PM

Better for the Southern Expansion bid to quickly build their stadium so St George can have a place to play (that football would control).      

It would be even better and much cheaper if they played all their games at Win Stadium in Wollongong. Then I'd get behind them even if they technically represented Southern Sydney. I'd even support giving a couple of games each season to Kogarah!
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Just think tas, canberra, woolongong, fnq, fremantle, geelong and one each from a capital should form their own league. Ffa obviously dont give a f and will always chase the biggest shiniest dollar leaving other regions with crumb and gestures, breeding resentment and mistrust at every step. There is no intent to ever let teams outside major capitals in and so funds should somehow be found to make another league and F FFA and their requirements.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

fuzz13 - 17 Feb 2018 12:42 PM
F**k off Iemma...I am a proud Gong lad, former Gold Member and long-term Wolves supporter, was there when we won both NSL GF's and I have absolutely no interest in supporting a Southern Sydney team...for me it the Wolves (or a Wollongong only bid) or nothing.

100% 

As a Sutherland shire native I can assure everybody on this forum there is no identity connection between us and the Gong. I and most others here view people from northern Wollongong the same as we view people from Lake Conjola: You're all "south coast" to us. 

The naivety of this bid frustrates the hell out of me and my objections have nothing to do with being a Sydney fan. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 17 Feb 2018 6:01 PM

I and most others here view people from northern Wollongong the same as we view people from Lake Conjola: You're all "south coast" to us. 

Come on now, there's no need for insults. 
fuzz13
fuzz13
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

100% 

As a Sutherland shire native I can assure everybody on this forum there is no identity connection between us and the Gong. I and most others here view people from northern Wollongong the same as we view people from Lake Conjola: You're all "south coast" to us. 

The naivety of this bid frustrates the hell out of me and my objections have nothing to do with being a Sydney fan. 

The feeling is more than mutual lol

It would create a tense rivalry tho if both Southern Expansion and the Wolves were admitted, but it would never happen 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

100% 

I've never known someone from Cronulla. But in the years I lived in Canberra I met a few people from the Gong. They hated the shire with a passion.
Derider
Derider
Pro

bohemia - 17 Feb 2018 6:15 PM

I've never known someone from Cronulla. But in the years I lived in Canberra I met a few people from the Gong. They hated the shire with a passion.

Why did they hate the shire? Personally, I'm completely indifferent to it. Cronulla is nice enough for a visit about once every 6 years (though apparently full of surfie Anglo racists). Sutherland is just a train stop on the way to Sydney. I see no reason to hate it. At least it's close to the beach. Western Sydney, on the other hand, is the most miserable collection of places I've ever been to. I hate the West with a passion (but feel affection for the Wanderers and their fans for some reason). 
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 17 Feb 2018 7:33 AM
More mid table teams to get excited about before Gallop.

theres gonna be alot of them if sydney fc and melbourne victory continue to dominate. i have high hopes for newcastle jets to keep improving, knowing that the ledman group is looking after the club well

its up to everyone, including my team to catch up.

oh and im pretty confident wollongong wolves will be in the a-league one day. just support the new side for now and when wollongong do come in to the league, stab em in the back.
Edited
6 Years Ago by HeyItsRobbie
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Derider - 17 Feb 2018 6:26 PM
bohemia - 17 Feb 2018 6:15 PM

Why did they hate the shire? Personally, I'm completely indifferent to it. Cronulla is nice enough for a visit about once every 6 years (though apparently full of surfie Anglo racists). Sutherland is just a train stop on the way to Sydney. I see no reason to hate it. At least it's close to the beach. Western Sydney, on the other hand, is the most miserable collection of places I've ever been to. I hate the West with a passion (but feel affection for the Wanderers and their fans for some reason). 

St George fans usually. Others hated the anglo centric racism. One guy said there was no way of explaining shire boganism because it's relatively affluent, they were just genetica bogans. another couple hated it because it was "taken over by lebs" (their sentiments). Another couple simply "dunno just do."

Maybe it's a one way thing like the Adelaide/Melbourne rivalry?

Whatever it is, I can't see much shared identity when you've got 45 km of forest separating the two areas.

Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

100% 

I'm guessing you are from east of Gymea. Most native shire folk from east of Gymea only reluctantly consider Sutherland to be part of the Shire, Loftus southwards may as well be Wollongong. From the southern suburbs of the shire perspective this bid makes a lot of sense. I grew up going to schools that were populated by half shire and half Illawarra kids. Most people around here spend just as much time in Wollongong as in the shire.
In terms of the bid I am more concerned about the Kogarah element than the Wollongong.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

@chill

The way you explain it seems like the Shire would have a better connection with Wollongong than the North East or North Western parts of outer Sydney that also fall under the SFC banner.

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

scott21 - 18 Feb 2018 1:36 AM
@chillThe way you explain it seems like the Shire would have a better connection with Wollongong than the North East or North Western parts of outer Sydney that also fall under the SFC banner.

Their lifestyle is the most similar but these regions like to keep to themselves, and are so far removed from each other that the only time people from either the Shire or Northern parts of Sydney go to either opposing area is to have a short holiday. 

fuzz13
fuzz13
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

There use to be an old saying in Wollongong that to get to the shire you needed to have your passport stamped.

The geographical ties bind the areas but they are so far removed from each other culturally that it’s not funny. Wollongong is very multi-cultural whereas The Shire is seen more as Anglo-Saxon...well that’s the way I was bought up to think of it tbh lol
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Sooner ICAC expose this the better

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

fuzz13 - 18 Feb 2018 9:58 AM
There use to be an old saying in Wollongong that to get to the shire you needed to have your passport stamped.The geographical ties bind the areas but they are so far removed from each other culturally that it’s not funny. Wollongong is very multi-cultural whereas The Shire is seen more as Anglo-Saxon...well that’s the way I was bought up to think of it tbh lol

If that's the case then this bid is doomed to fail. Sounds like it'd be the equivalent of a joint-Geelong/Melb Western Suburbs team.

Funny that Iemma's even involved, given he fought for the monoethnic clubs' right to exist in the NSL's final decade.

Edited
6 Years Ago by BA81
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

And we continue with the same model with little on any known research to work forward with.

We continue with this Franchise Farce.

Populate a 2nd Division now!

Base entry to the 2nd Division on Facilities existing or confirmed.

Allow 2nd Division Clubs to establish, consolidate and develop their football culture and human infrastructure.

Expand A-League by promotion.

How Hard Is It?

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

BA81 - 18 Feb 2018 10:05 AM

If that's the case then this bid is doomed to fail. Sounds like it'd be the equivalent of a dual-Geelong/Melb Western Suburbs team.

Funny that Iemma's even involved, given he fought for the monoethnic clubs' right to exist in the NSL's final decade.

I've always found Wollongong's ethnic diversity to be very similar to the Shire's, at least the North of Wollongong. Looking up the census data it shows both areas are very similar in ethnic makeup and population size. With the question over of what Australian descent means in either area. Most people are of predominantly English/Irish decent. Wollongong just has a slightly larger Balkan population.

https://profile.id.com.au/sutherland/ancestry?WebID=10
https://profile.id.com.au/wollongong/ancestry

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bring back the Fury :) but seriously

Phase 1
Canberra & Wollongong teams now..
Phase 2
3rd melbourne team ( sth melb )
Tassie team ( if they build recatngular stadium )
Phase 3
Second div 
Phsae 4
Pro/Rel
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Arthur - 18 Feb 2018 10:11 AM
And we continue with the same model with little on any known research to work forward with.

The proposal for expansion is with a new model.

We continue with this Franchise Farce.

The model is yet to be agreed between the FFA and the clubs.  Will franchises be retained?  At this stage we don't know but they do mention a new corporate structure as well as a new model so we can expect changes from how things are now.

Populate a 2nd Division now!

We don't have a 2nd division to populate and as AAFC have acknowledged it is the FFA's role to structure football.

Base entry to the 2nd Division on Facilities existing or confirmed.

I think the way Japan did it was fairer.  Conduct a bidding process for existing and proposed new clubs and select the best bids for the new 2nd division.  FIFA has a club licensing system so it would be appropriate to use their criteria possibly supplemented by some of our own.

Allow 2nd Division Clubs to establish, consolidate and develop their football culture and human infrastructure.

Thats fine, but it will take some time before many reach a level where they can operate and sustain a fully professional club.

Expand A-League by promotion.

Too slow.  The A-League needs expansion now.  With any luck new clubs taken into the A-league will have had time to establish themselves at about the same time as the 2nd division clubs are ready to operate on a fully professional basis so then we would be ready for p/r.   Allowing for the fact that the 2nd division clubs will "mature" at a different rate some of the more advanced ones might even be ready for expansion spots.  Hopefully we will have 14 or 16 clubs (preferable)  in each division by the stage we get to p/r.

How Hard Is It?

There are a lot of ways of getting to the end and none of them are easy.  Lots of time, money and effort will be expended.

Derider
Derider
Pro

chillbilly - 18 Feb 2018 10:26 AM
BA81 - 18 Feb 2018 10:05 AM

I've always found Wollongong's ethnic diversity to be very similar to the Shire's, at least the North of Wollongong. Looking up the census data it shows both areas are very similar in ethnic makeup and population size. With the question over of what Australian descent means in either area. Most people are of predominantly English/Irish decent. Wollongong just has a slightly larger Balkan population.

https://profile.id.com.au/sutherland/ancestry?WebID=10
https://profile.id.com.au/wollongong/ancestry

It's not about ethnic diversity, but geographical distance. Sutherland is 56km north of Wollongong city. It's much too far. They're completely and utterly separate regions with no natural connections,  so it seems crazy to expect me to support a team based in Sutherland. They may as well be in North Sydney and claim they represent the Illawarra. It's just stupid. 

Derider
Derider
Pro

The geographical ties bind the areas 

What geographical ties? They're not even that close. 
Derider
Derider
Pro

chillbilly - 17 Feb 2018 9:09 PM

I'm guessing you are from east of Gymea. Most native shire folk from east of Gymea only reluctantly consider Sutherland to be part of the Shire, Loftus southwards may as well be Wollongong. From the southern suburbs of the shire perspective this bid makes a lot of sense. I grew up going to schools that were populated by half shire and half Illawarra kids. Most people around here spend just as much time in Wollongong as in the shire.
In terms of the bid I am more concerned about the Kogarah element than the Wollongong.

I have a hard time understanding your post from a geographical perspective. You make Wollongong sound much closer to the shire than it really is. I know of no schools populated by half Illawarra and half shire kids. Where are they? Also, it's ridiculous to say that Loftus is practically Wollongong, being 54km away...

Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
fuzz13
fuzz13
Fan

Derider - 18 Feb 2018 12:05 PM

What geographical ties? They're not even that close. 

They're both South of the Georges River...hence why they're "geographically tied".

Like I said before, many feel that Wollongong is a southern suburb of Sydney, yet there is such a distance (56kms including the National Park) between the outer suburbs of Sydney, and the Wollongong area, it's hard to really feel close to anything that will be based out of the Shire.

fuzz13
fuzz13
Fan

Derider - 18 Feb 2018 12:15 PM
chillbilly - 17 Feb 2018 9:09 PM

I have a hard time understanding your post from a geographical perspective. You make Wollongong sound much closer to the shire than it really is. I know of no schools populated by half Illawarra and half shire kids. Where are they? Also, it's ridiculous to say that Loftus is practically Wollongong, being 54km away...

You will probably find that a lot of kids from Helensburgh / Stanwell Park travel to Heathcote or Engadine to go to High School...its closer than Bulli High from memory.

I'd suggest that's the area where chillbilly is referring to

Derider
Derider
Pro

fuzz13 - 18 Feb 2018 1:54 PM

You will probably find that a lot of kids from Helensburgh / Stanwell Park travel to Heathcote or Engadine to go to High School...its closer than Bulli High from memory.

I'm pretty sure that Stanwell Park is closer to Bulli than it is to either Engadine or Heathcote, though you do have a point about Helensburgh. Still, Helensburgh is the very northernmost suburb and is hardly representative of Wollongong as a whole. It's so far removed from everything else that it's barely in the Illawarra at all.

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

fuzz13 - 18 Feb 2018 1:54 PM

That is where I am referring to. Its not as clean cut a divide as many make it out to be. I'd expect Loftus down to Coalcliff and a lesser extent down to Bulli to have a number of people willing to go either way.

Derider, I wasn't saying Loftus southwards is part of Wollongong but commenting on the insular attitude of many within the shire towards other parts of the shire. 
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Love it when anyone tries to justify a bid by saying that 2 top (Australian) players have come from the area in the last 60 years...  Wow...  TWO of them.  Must be a hotbed.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search