AAFC to push national second tier with FIFA, AFC

AAFC to push national second tier with FIFA, AFC

Author
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bluebird - 20 Feb 2018 5:35 PM
Gyfox - 19 Feb 2018 7:21 PM

They do actually

I think we can accept the fact that a stand alone model with 16 equally balanced franchises is unviable and is little more than a dream

So we either manage an unbalanced tier with or without a second division. The latter is in danger of becoming stale

I dont know how hard it is to just to get the top 3 teams from each NPL (except WA and NT due to travel costs), chuck them in the same league. Remain Semi-pro for a few seasons, raise their cap and match VISA allocations to the A-League Rules. Throw in a 2 televised games a week. And boom. Theres your 2nd Div.

In short for the first few seasons it will pretty much be an NPL league for the better teams, with higher spending and better coverage.

Maybe not 3 from each but,
-NSW: 3
-NNSW: 3
-QLD: 2
-ACT: 1
-TAS: 1
-VIC: 3
-SA: 1

Home and away season, 28 games.

When P&R comes in. 1st team gets automatic promotion, 2nd and 3rd have to play home and away to their respective bottom 2 teams from HAL. Hence you have an extra 4 games for those metrics....

Edited
6 Years Ago by PricklePear
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

PricklePear - 20 Feb 2018 5:40 PM
bluebird - 20 Feb 2018 5:35 PM

I dont know how hard it is to just to get the top 3 teams from each NPL (except WA and NT due to travel costs), chuck them in the same league. Remain Semi-pro for a few seasons, raise their cap and match VISA allocations to the A-League Rules. Throw in a 2 televised games a week. And boom. Theres your 2nd Div.

In short for the first few seasons it will pretty much be an NPL league for the better teams, with higher spending and better coverage.

Maybe not 3 from each but,
-NSW: 3
-NNSW: 3
-QLD: 2
-ACT: 1
-TAS: 1
-VIC: 3
-SA: 1

Home and away season, 28 games.

When P&R comes in. 1st team gets automatic promotion, 2nd and 3rd have to play home and away to their respective bottom 2 teams from HAL. Hence you have an extra 4 games for those metrics....

The one thing I dont agree with is a salary cap

I don't know when a salary cap became a standard requirement for absolutely everything but its needless. The 3+1 rule stops teams buying the league and by virtue of being a second division you wont see millions of dollars thrown at playing squads. And if you do its a bonus

Each team will get a minimal grant from the FFA and if owners overspend and walk away then the minimal grant keeps the club ticking away until a new owner can be found

The league wont get "boring with the same tem winning each season" because after a few years the league winner will disappear into the A League. And salary restrictions for a demoted team will make it too hard for them to climb back out

What City did to the W League for what is effectively a semi pro league is incredible. No point whatsoever in deterring that level of investment in our young players just out of fear a dozen Tasmanian fans might get sad and walk away from a league nobody is watching anyway

PricklePear
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

bluebird - 20 Feb 2018 5:57 PM
PricklePear - 20 Feb 2018 5:40 PM

The one thing I dont agree with is a salary cap

I don't know when a salary cap became a standard requirement for absolutely everything but its needless. The 3+1 rule stops teams buying the league and by virtue of being a second division you wont see millions of dollars thrown at playing squads. And if you do its a bonus

Each team will get a minimal grant from the FFA and if owners overspend and walk away then the minimal grant keeps the club ticking away until a new owner can be found

The league wont get "boring with the same tem winning each season" because after a few years the league winner will disappear into the A League. And salary restrictions for a demoted team will make it too hard for them to climb back out

What City did to the W League for what is effectively a semi pro league is incredible. No point whatsoever in deterring that level of investment in our young players just out of fear a dozen Tasmanian fans might get sad and walk away from a league nobody is watching anyway

There is still a cap in W League, just City actually decided to spend the full amount
Anyway, I dont like the cap either, but it would be crazy to have a 2nd div with no cap while the 1st div has one

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

PricklePear - 20 Feb 2018 6:42 PM

There is still a cap in W League, just City actually decided to spend the full amount
Anyway, I dont like the cap either, but it would be crazy to have a 2nd div with no cap while the 1st div has one

Both need to go.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I understand but if you wanted to preserve the flaws of the current model then you can do that by advocating to not have a second division

Your idea seems well thought out and it needs a proper system at the top to support it. If you have in mind the first tier as it currently is then your proposal wont work. If you have in mind a sensible open structure then a second tier doesn't need a salary cap

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

bluebird - 21 Feb 2018 4:25 PM

I understand but if you wanted to preserve the flaws of the current model then you can do that by advocating to not have a second division

Your idea seems well thought out and it needs a proper system at the top to support it. If you have in mind the first tier as it currently is then your proposal wont work. If you have in mind a sensible open structure then a second tier doesn't need a salary cap

im alright with the cap. what i dont understand is why it is so small.  it needs to be much bigger and this marquee bullshit needs to be turfed.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

inala brah - 21 Feb 2018 5:47 PM
bluebird - 21 Feb 2018 4:25 PM

im alright with the cap. what i dont understand is why it is so small.  it needs to be much bigger and this marquee bullshit needs to be turfed.

Nah. It can go.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Spot the difference... FFA, Dec 7: “FFA will establish a Congress Review Working Group incl all relevant Australia stakeholders with direct support from FIFA.”FFA, Feb 22: “FIFA will decide on terms of reference for the Working Group incl its composition, mandate and timelines."

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

They left the i out of the first FIFA.. instead it says FFA will establish a Congress Review Worling Group.

Thats why you spell check .
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search