Confirmed: Van Marwijk's six outs in Caltex Socceroos 26-man squad

Confirmed: Van Marwijk's six outs in Caltex Socceroos 26-man squad

Author
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Interesting with those numbers. From memory Petratos was in the 24 for the Colombia and Norway friendlies so I don’t read a hell of a lot into that.

Bailey wright was in his preferred number (5/6??) and he got the chop so who knows!
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Looks as though Arzani is 26
scnertho
scnertho
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)

chondro - 20 May 2018 11:23 PM
Did you watch petratos in the friendlies?Looked cool as a cucumber on the ball. Could hold up play and make the right pass. IMO, he's a lock and may start on the left.Brillante, Troisi, Rukavytsa to be cut.Arzani, leckie and kruse have pace (which means Rukavytsa as a winger offers nothing new). We need someone like petratos who can retain possession that also can play both as a winger and central attacking midfielder.

Ruka should be used centrally - we have enough wing options, but Ruka is our only pacy striker option. The one and only, literally.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

George_Worst - 21 May 2018 11:49 AM
Looks as though Arzani is 26

You're right. The lighting and sweat is couldn't pick him. Thought it was Karacic.
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Imagine he will play 4231 with jedi and loungo as dm with loungo with more license to go forward. Mooy in the middle with instruction to distribute quickly, unlike under ange, and ruka up front with leckie and kruse around. All about the speed in transition and the pace to track back to defend. So need pace and big engines. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Redcarded - 22 May 2018 12:13 AM
Imagine he will play 4231 with jedi and loungo as dm with loungo with more license to go forward. Mooy in the middle with instruction to distribute quickly, unlike under ange, and ruka up front with leckie and kruse around. All about the speed in transition and the pace to track back to defend. So need pace and big engines. 

So

Ryan 
Karacic Sainsbury Milligan Behich
              Jedinak Luongo 
Leckie        Mooy         Kruse 
                  Rukavytsa 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Juric and Nabbout still with small injuries. Asia Roos on route but Jedinak and Vukovic will be the last to join. 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

johnszasz - 22 May 2018 4:07 AM
Juric and Nabbout still with small injuries. Asia Roos on route but Jedinak and Vukovic will be the last to join. 

Yep, when Juric hasn't played for a month, is it worth taking him to the WC? Makes the non inclusion of JMac a bigger puzzle.
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

johnszasz - 22 May 2018 4:05 AM

So

Ryan 
              Jedinak Luongo 
                  Rukavytsa 

The Dutch 4231 is played with a genuine central striker.  Juric will get the nod ahead of Ruka.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

So

Ryan 
              Jedinak Luongo 
                  Rukavytsa 

I'd say Jedinak alongside Sainsbury
Mooy next to Luongo
Rogic at #10
Juric up front
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 22 May 2018 9:17 AM

The Dutch 4231 is played with a genuine central striker.  Juric will get the nod ahead of Ruka.

Id like to see Rogic play up front instead of Juric, i think he is a better option

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

No strikers needed. Play all defenders for the game against France. 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 22 May 2018 1:41 PM

How many Goalies can you have ?

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

scnertho
scnertho
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)

ErogenousZone - 22 May 2018 1:41 PM

we can't just lay down and let them come at us, eventually they will score. We need to pressure them higher up the park and defend from the front, if we sit back a la the opening game of 2010 WC vs Germany, it's highly likely we'll achieve the same result.  Playing with the likely 4-2-3-1 is already a very defensive structure, so the advanced 3-1 need to press higher up the park, we can't just have the whole team sitting off inside our half.  Bert is pragmatic, but I don't think he'll be as uber defensive as Pim was in 2010. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

hopefully we see some proper structure at the back and better overall cover... players tracking runs properly.. etc.. if we can at least get organised at the back and not look like donkeys we can at least build a strong press from the front..
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

jaymz - 22 May 2018 12:39 PM

Id like to see Rogic play up front instead of Juric, i think he is a better option

It'd be great if Big Tam could play up front. It would appear to sort out so many issues with our attack. It might work now and then. But, imo, it's wishful thinking overall.

I don't reckon he'd go that well as sole striker. And if it's a counter-attacking game built around quick transitions and moving into space very fast, that doesn't appear to suit his game (although he can hold up the ball and that's another facet of that kind of game). Basically, if he's sole striker, he'll be too easy to manage.

He's better drifting between the lines and having somebody to work off.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Any news on the three being cut?
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

--------------------Ryan---------------------
Karacic-Sainsbury-Jedinak-Meredith
Leckie----Irvine-----Luongo----Behich
------------Rogic-------Petratos-----------
phreeky
phreeky
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Yeah Rogic as a sole striker simply won't work. As part of a front pairing with somebody like Maclaren (oh well) it could work very well - Maclaren good at making a run for a cross and digging something out, Rogic with a wicked shot from range or from a cut back.

In 2014 everyone expected us to sit back and just lob the occasional ball at Cahill. We took the game to them (well Netherlands and Chile at least) and it was a joy to watch. Sitting back and defending is a recipe for disaster, we simply don't have the discipline at the back for that to work - we need to press, limit their time to pick a pass the best we can and disrupt their game. The quality of opposition - France, specifically - will be used to having a parked bus in front of them.
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

True about juric but if he can not hold possesion in a game in which we mightnt have much he might prefer the pace of ruka to attack on the counter. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

agree.  as a false nine.  would be a total boss.  can totally hold up and feed incoming wings, as well as turn and shoot some bombs.  it would also take the pressure off him having to defend too hard and running out of gas.

jedi in the back. leckie at rb. rogic as a cf.  

i got the sense from the first couple games with BVM in charge that he is not going to play players out of position. he will play them where they have been at their club.

Edited
6 Years Ago by inala brah
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

inala brah - 22 May 2018 6:34 PM

agree.  as a false nine.  would be a total boss.  can totally hold up and feed incoming wings, as well as turn and shoot some bombs.  it would also take the pressure off him having to defend too hard and running out of gas.

jedi in the back. leckie at rb. rogic as a cf.  

i got the sense from the first couple games with BVM in charge that he is not going to play players out of position. he will play them where they have been at their club.

Celtic tried Rogic as a striker.  He was an abject failure.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I don't think we will be going with a front 2 at all. If we were, Maclaren would have made the 26.

4-2-3-1 with most of the squad on defensive duties for France and more aggressive v the other 2.
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Only reason I'd be inclined to start Jedinak at CB is because it is the best way to have our best players on the pitch. I'm still hesitant to opt for it as I maintain playing Barnsley, Burton and Bolton is different to France, Denmark and Peru. And I think he'd be more likely to get eaten alive at the back by those dynamic players than say a Jurman would. However he is such a presence and his form for Villa has been quite impressive. So with that being said, it is tempting to have something like this IMO:

------------------------Ryan--------------------

Karacic---Sainsbury--Jedinak--Behich

--------------Luongo-----Mooy-------------

Leckie---------------Rogic-------------Arzani

------------------------Juric--------------------
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Proud2BeCanberran - 22 May 2018 9:03 PM
Only reason I'd be inclined to start Jedinak at CB is because it is the best way to have our best players on the pitch. I'm still hesitant to opt for it as I maintain playing Barnsley, Burton and Bolton is different to France, Denmark and Peru. And I think he'd be more likely to get eaten alive at the back by those dynamic players than say a Jurman would. However he is such a presence and his form for Villa has been quite impressive. So with that being said, it is tempting to have something like this IMO:------------------------Ryan--------------------Karacic---Sainsbury--Jedinak--Behich--------------Luongo-----Mooy-------------Leckie---------------Rogic-------------Arzani------------------------Juric--------------------

I like this. As long as we press enough and unsettle France then it can work. We must not sit back. France will dominate possession and I think it'll be like the French cup final. We need to be like Frankfurt in the cup final and bully them around and stick to a plan. 
CharlieYankos
CharlieYankos
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)Hardcore Fan (298 reputation)

johnszasz - 22 May 2018 9:39 PM
Proud2BeCanberran - 22 May 2018 9:03 PM

I like this. As long as we press enough and unsettle France then it can work. We must not sit back. France will dominate possession and I think it'll be like the French cup final. We need to be like Frankfurt in the cup final and bully them around and stick to a plan. 

Jedi plays almost between a defensive mid and a third CB. Which is why the 3 CB system + Jedi made no sense IMO.

Huddersfield ground out two important draws playing 5-3-2 with the 3 playing defensively... I dont argue going that far but I think 4-3-3 best suits our squad with a back four then the 3 being Luongo-Jedi-Mooy.

The front 3 can then be Leckie with Juric/Rogic and Kruse/other.

Ryan
Karacic Sains Jruman/Milligan Behich
    Luongo Jedi  Mooy
  Leckie Rogic Kruse

I personally think Kruse is finally back to his best after taking some time to get over several injuries. At his best I think he showed that he is a dangerous player at Bundesliga level, making very intelligent runs.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Enzo Bearzot - 22 May 2018 6:50 PM
inala brah - 22 May 2018 6:34 PM

Celtic tried Rogic as a striker.  He was an abject failure.

I'm triggered remembering the Rogic as a false nine days at Victory, what a waste of talent.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I’d be pretty nervous with a mid 3 of Luongo, Jedi, Mooy. Only Luongo brings any closing speed across the pitch, which I think will be vital against our opponents (especially France) Expecting our front 3 to do all the pressing just leaves them fatigue and ineffective going forward. Mid 3 of Luongo, Irvine and Mooy is my preferred.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Dan_The_Red - 23 May 2018 2:20 AM
I’d be pretty nervous with a mid 3 of Luongo, Jedi, Mooy. Only Luongo brings any closing speed across the pitch, which I think will be vital against our opponents (especially France) Expecting our front 3 to do all the pressing just leaves them fatigue and ineffective going forward. Mid 3 of Luongo, Irvine and Mooy is my preferred.

The midfield against Chile was Luongo, Irvine with Cahill as a 10, Kruse as RWB and Troisi roaming around on the left tackling in midfield. It worked so well. Speed was the key. We didn't miss Mooy or Jedinak that day. 
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

paladisious - 23 May 2018 12:36 AM
Enzo Bearzot - 22 May 2018 6:50 PM

I'm triggered remembering the Rogic as a false nine days at Victory, what a waste of talent.

You know you've made it when "the" is in front of your name.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search