Confirmed: Van Marwijk's six outs in Caltex Socceroos 26-man squad

Confirmed: Van Marwijk's six outs in Caltex Socceroos 26-man squad

Author
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RedKat - 26 May 2018 4:11 PM
Thats pretty much been my read on Arzani. Heaps of talent and potential but still a bit naive with his on the ball decision making and final product. If the world cup was in a year or two hed be in my squad but this one just seems a bit too soon to make the final 23

It's not unreasonable. Frankly, however unfair it is, unless the others in that position are doing exactly what he's doing in 1 vs 1, I think he should still be a cert for the final squad just as it gives our attack another dimension (even if it's a work in progress). There's enough room on the bench for that.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Not sure BvM will be thinking along the same lines though.
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

I had Nabbout as missing the 23 but it sounds if though he is doing really well. It's hard to tell from media reports and small clips of training through. It will be fascinating to see who makes the 23.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

If we're chasing  a game, and Tomi Juric and Aaron Mooy have played a fair bit and aren't going so well, I reckon we can change formation a bit to bring in two strikers and more paths to goals

---------------------------Cahill--------------------------Rukya------------------------------

---------------------------------------------Rogic-----------------------------------------------

Arzani------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Leckie

-----------------------------------------------Irvine------------------------------------------------

Having those options would be very useful, I reckon.
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say Jackson Irvine will be our biggest hero at the WC. I just think he’s a gun who always pops up in good positions.

Very tidy 6 & 10
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 26 May 2018 6:16 PM
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say Jackson Irvine will be our biggest hero at the WC. I just think he’s a gun who always pops up in good positions. Very tidy 6 & 10

Has barely played a bad game for us. We seem to have a few guys who have shown signs of really being able to turn it on when given the chance. I think this could be Luongo's world cup. Many people forget that he was our player of the tournament at the 2015 Asian Cup.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

George_Worst - 26 May 2018 8:02 PM
josh sydneyfc - 26 May 2018 6:16 PM

Has barely played a bad game for us. We seem to have a few guys who have shown signs of really being able to turn it on when given the chance. I think this could be Luongo's world cup. Many people forget that he was our player of the tournament at the 2015 Asian Cup.

In the qualifiers where most of the side looked fairly gormless, Irvine came on and just upped the intensity and match IQ in his own little way.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

quickflick - 26 May 2018 8:10 PM
George_Worst - 26 May 2018 8:02 PM

In the qualifiers where most of the side looked fairly gormless, Irvine came on and just upped the intensity and match IQ in his own little way.

he does go missing, but he seems to have some big moments in him.  there's always a lift with a good sub.  i wouldnt be starting him from what ive seen - but if he is killing it in camp then he would be up there for a starting spot.

arzani holds the ball to long and turns it over a bit, it's good that he is in camp with someone like BVM who has said something like 'why take two touches when you can do it in one'..  im sure he had similar players in the saudi team.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Holding Bidfielder - 25 May 2018 1:58 PM
The important points from the above articles:
> Van Marwijk is far more intense and hands-on at training than Ange was
> Lots of emphasis on sharp passing, communication, and organisation. Encouraging quick movement of the ball when in possession
> Mark Milligan is being played at CB
> Daniel Arzani has been a standout player and provided the best moment in the first 11v11 training game
> Van Marwijk has been encouraging lots of forward passing and attacking play, suggesting we wont be setting up entirely defensively or playing conservatively the whole tournament

you could really notice the short crisp passing game improve in the last 2 friendlies.  i'm really surprsied that this wasnt a feature of ange's training.  when you can see an immediate improvement in the team you can tell it hasnt been there before.

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

from the diary pages sounded like the were playing like this 

---------------Van Bommel--------------
------Luongo----------------------Mooy

I assume Jedi will come in for Van Bommel.. does seem to suit the way our guys played at club level lately.
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

And a backline of:

Karacic---Milligan---Sainsbury---Behich

Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

I anticipate that Brillante will be one of the men to miss out.

And then I'd expect two of Petratos, Arzani, Troisi, Rukavystya and Risdon to make way. Risdon could be in danger with Degenek apt as a RB.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

Proud2BeCanberran - 27 May 2018 1:23 PM
I anticipate that Brillante will be one of the men to miss out.And then I'd expect two of Petratos, Arzani, Troisi, Rukavystya and Risdon to make way. Risdon could be in danger with Degenek apt as a RB.

i would bank on risdon and troisi missing out.  there's a bunch that are probably fighting for that third spot.

Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Would have thought Troisi and Brilliante gone and the third? Hope Arzani can make the grade as I can see him being a bit of a super sub late in a game bamboozling tired defences
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

inala brah - 27 May 2018 1:26 PM
Proud2BeCanberran - 27 May 2018 1:23 PM

i would bank on risdon and troisi missing out.  there's a bunch that are probably fighting for that third spot.

said it in another thread, but i this is probably the right one.  i think degenek, brillante and milligan are fighting for 2 spots.  BVM had brillante in central defence and degenek has been playing as a DM at times.  that would mean all three might be able to cover as a CB, RB or DM.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

How are brilliante and troisi even in this potition? 

They would not even be in an a-league best 11. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

tsf - 28 May 2018 11:29 AM
How are brilliante and troisi even in this potition? 

They would not even be in an a-league best 11. 

I feel bad for O'Neill lol hes been one of the best midfielders in the league the last two years.. 
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Also have to feel for Williams and Wilko. Much better CBs than some of those in the squad currently.
scnertho
scnertho
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)Hardcore Fan (222 reputation)

chondro - 28 May 2018 11:41 AM
Also have to feel for Williams and Wilko. Much better CBs than some of those in the squad currently.

Williams picked up an injury right before the initial squad was announced - not saying he would've made it, but he can also play RB/CB/DM, and is more talented than Brilliante IMO.

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Fucks sake, maybe Bert is working them too hard at this camp after a long and bruising season. First Milligan goes down, and now it sounds like Juric is out. One injury might be unfortunate, but 2 starts to bring up questions about player management...
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Derider - 28 May 2018 2:50 PM
Fucks sake, maybe Bert is working them too hard at this camp after a long and bruising season. First Milligan goes down, and now it sounds like Juric is out. One injury might be unfortunate, but 2 starts to bring up questions about player management...

Considering Juric hasn't been fit for months or his entire career it is not surprising he broke down.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

City Sam - 28 May 2018 2:52 PM

Considering Juric hasn't been fit for months or his entire career it is not surprising he broke down.

He hadn't played the last 3 weeks for his club team because of injury, so no surprise that he's being treated lightly.
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

If milligan goes down because of harsh training then how do you think he would do in a high intensity world cup game?? He plays in the middle east so he probably cant adjust to the higher intensity which if thats the case he would be no good to us on the pitch anyway.

Juric was injured before coming in to camp so thats not on bert

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Williams was only supposed be out for a few weeks with his injury.
Edited
6 Years Ago by chondro
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Interesting to see quite a number of nations have more than two friendlies before Russia. We had Greece, Holland and Liechtenstein before Germany plus NZ USA Denmark in South Africa. I'd argue it's only one game and this time together in Turkey is extremely valuable. It appears we've been doing lots of conditioning work and will definitely be geared more to the Czech game this week. 
chondro
chondro
Pro

We would have had a fairwell game in Aus don't forget. Forfeited that game for more training time.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

chondro - 29 May 2018 2:24 AM
We would have had a fairwell game in Aus don't forget. Forfeited that game for more training time.

Thank god for that, Farewell games were shit.

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
johnszasz - 29 May 2018 2:15 AM
Interesting to see quite a number of nations have more than two friendlies before Russia. We had Greece, Holland and Liechtenstein before Germany plus NZ USA Denmark in South Africa. I'd argue it's only one game and this time together in Turkey is extremely valuable. It appears we've been doing lots of conditioning work and will definitely be geared more to the Czech game this week. 

As you say, the squad definitely needs the time together, and looking at France v Ireland now there might be some advantage in keeping our cards close to our chest before the cup.
schimch
schimch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Just weighing in on the versatile RB debate, and assuming milligan is fit, we have 5 in the squad who can play RB: karacic, risdon, brillante, milligan and degenek. Of course milligan and brillante are more DMs but even so surely 2 could be cut and we’d still be fine given our depth of midfield options.

So imo brillante and risdon go, as does rukavytsa who apparently hasnt stood out in training
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

so far every player has been talked up in daily reports but ruka and kruse (and of course the new comers)
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search