World Cup media coverage

World Cup media coverage

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
scubaroo - 28 May 2018 9:44 AM
City Sam - 23 May 2018 10:01 PM

Mate there has been so much talk about violence at afl games but it's quickly lumped in with soccer violence and no one will have a serious in depth conversation.

I don't talk much about this on 442, because I have a lot of face to face contact offline, and, interaction with mates face to face, but I'm a dedicated political activist.

In Hobart I've just attended two big demonstrations  in the last few weeks - Unions' Australia Change The Rules and anti Cable Car on Kunyani in Hobart.

In the Murdoch press, even though both rallies numbered 4 - 7 000, which per capita head of population in this state, and,  the biggest demos held for years, both were relegated to page 5 in the local Murdoch tabloid.

A few spectators having some biffo at AFL games took precedence on the  front page, as well as former AFL coaches saying Tasmania deserves an AFL team. These two stories aren't even worth reporting, let alone creating front page headlines!

In general I think the Australian media is shocking, parochial, very conservative, heliocentric  (inward looking) and right wing. The media in England is far better. The notable exceptions in Australia are The Guardian, which is left of centre, and the  moderate The Saturday Paper, SBS and ABC.

I see an extrapolation of anti - football sentiment and poor media coverage to political issues.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

City Sam - 23 May 2018 10:01 PM

Sen this morning repeatedly talked about how mile jedinak isn't going to the world cup because aston villa didn't qualify, losing to Fulham.

The big issue here is that so many define Australian football by what occurs in England.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 28 May 2018 9:48 AM
bettega - 24 May 2018 9:03 AM

A few points here are:

1. Having players playing in the EPL was the  biggest news in football. A lot of football media coverage in Oz is about English football.

2. Most casual sports followers think most of our Asian opposition are similar quality to Oceania - the notable exception being Japan.  This also applies to Eurosnobs. Hence, for them the Soceroos should qualify easily for the WC.

3. Not having many EPL regulars also diminishes mainstream Oz media's interest in the Socceroos.  

I feel like we have to add the word "sexy" in there somewhere regarding our EPL players.

Mooy, Ryan and Rogic aren't exactly the same type of Bonds model as Cahill and Kewell were.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

RedshirtWilly - 28 May 2018 10:16 AM

I feel like we have to add the word "sexy" in there somewhere regarding our EPL players.

Mooy, Ryan and Rogic aren't exactly the same type of Bonds model as Cahill and Kewell were.

I think it is a question of perception.

12 years ago, Euroroos had an aura about them. When we revisit their games on video, they , like our current players, had plenty of weaknesses - as well as strengths.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Suggestions for 'must read' websites O/S for world cup news?

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 28 May 2018 10:43 AM
Suggestions for 'must read' websites O/S for world cup news?

BBC Sport. For the hype that the English team will get only to see them crash out shortly after :)

I suspect they will make it past the group stages and then it will go into overdrive about going all the way.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Burztur - 28 May 2018 11:28 AM
Munrubenmuz - 28 May 2018 10:43 AM

BBC Sport. For the hype that the English team will get only to see them crash out shortly after :)

I suspect they will make it past the group stages and then it will go into overdrive about going all the way.

I can't see England losing, unless Russia poisons them

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

bettega - 24 May 2018 9:03 AM

A few points here are:

1. Having players playing in the EPL was the  biggest news in football. A lot of football media coverage in Oz is about English football.

2. Most casual sports followers think most of our Asian opposition are similar quality to Oceania - the notable exception being Japan.  This also applies to Eurosnobs. Hence, for them the Soceroos should qualify easily for the WC.

3. Not having many EPL regulars also diminishes mainstream Oz media's interest in the Socceroos.  

And I've never understood the love affair with the football league of our colonial masters and the utter hatred for local football, the game, the culture and the people who play it and this was happening well before the EPL.  The only thing I can explain it with is pure racism.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Enzo Bearzot
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

So what's the go with this thread?

This somebody's first year following the game in this country?
Is there a genuine belief that this is the year, of all years, that things finally change?

The most exposure the world cup will get is every time an AFL player kicks the ball off the ground. Expect to hear plenty of "soccer" and "world cup" references

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

bluebird - 28 May 2018 12:03 PM
So what's the go with this thread?

This somebody's first year following the game in this country?
Is there a genuine belief that this is the year, of all years, that things finally change?

The most exposure the world cup will get is every time an AFL player kicks the ball off the ground. Expect to hear plenty of "soccer" and "world cup" references

Image result for holding a snickers

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Always glad to hear that you have mates and lots of "face to face" contact, decentric... really good to know.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

pretty sure the game v france @ 8pm on a saturday night will be highest rating sports match of all time.. we haven't had a world cup timezone like this ever.
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

jas88 - 28 May 2018 3:03 PM
pretty sure the game v france @ 8pm on a saturday night will be highest rating sports match of all time.. we haven't had a world cup timezone like this ever.

It SHOULD be the highest rated football match in this country by a comfortable margin, but it wont surpass other sports ratings I reckon. There will be AFL, NRL, and a Wallabies game all on at the same time which will split the ratings. Obviously Australia vs France is the most significant and most meaningful (as well as potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity) game on that night, but that will go over the heads of many Australians. I think much of this country is too parochial and insular to be aware of how significant the match will be, and they wont give a damn. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Holding Bidfielder - 28 May 2018 3:21 PM
jas88 - 28 May 2018 3:03 PM

It SHOULD be the highest rated football match in this country by a comfortable margin, but it wont surpass other sports ratings I reckon. There will be AFL, NRL, and a Wallabies game all on at the same time which will split the ratings. Obviously Australia vs France is the most significant and most meaningful (as well as potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity) game on that night, but that will go over the heads of many Australians. I think much of this country is too parochial and insular to be aware of how significant the match will be, and they wont give a damn. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Wallabies will outrate the Roos as much as it pains me to say it.

Member since 2008.

OldCodger
OldCodger
Hacker
Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)

Decentric - 28 May 2018 10:05 AM

In general I think the Australian media is shocking, parochial, very conservative, heliocentric  (inward looking), right wing. The media in England is far better. The notable exceptions are The Guardian, which is left of centre, and the  moderate The Saturday Paper, SBS and ABC.

I see an extrapolation of anti - football sentiment and poor media coverage to political issues.

Agree. The Australian media is obscenely inadequate. That's one of the reasons behind the terrible standard of political dialogue here, and it certainly extends to football coverage. Not sure if it's just old-school jingoism to support 'our' native sport, or because Murdoch's got his fingers deep in the AFL pie. Perhaps both.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

I don’t know anyone that follows the wallabies I think people will watch the France match until they score
Griffindinho
Griffindinho
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

theres been optus billboards advertising the world cup in melbourne CBD and on bus stops.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 28 May 2018 3:45 PM
Holding Bidfielder - 28 May 2018 3:21 PM

Wallabies will outrate the Roos as much as it pains me to say it.

I doubt if there are more than 50 people in South Australia who follow the Wallabies.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

localstar - 28 May 2018 8:44 PM

I doubt if there are more than 50 people in South Australia who follow the Wallabies.

Might be able to get that number to 100 if you include Victoria too.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Yeah but there’s 11 million in NSW and Qld and it’s League first and everything after that.

Member since 2008.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Pretty sure I saw the Ireland game as a sell out. They're on tour so maybe it's not the one that clashes. 
karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

Maybe so but of the eleven OzTAM & RegionalTAM media markets, Adelaide is the eighth largest.

Derider
Derider
Pro

Are you guys joking? I can 100% guarantee that the Wallabies will not outrate the Socceroos at the World Cup. It won't even be close. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Derider - 28 May 2018 9:22 PM
Are you guys joking? I can 100% guarantee that the Wallabies will not outrate the Socceroos at the World Cup. It won't even be close. 

I highly doubt that.

Wellington Phoenix FC

localstar
localstar
Pro

karta - 28 May 2018 9:18 PM

Maybe so but of the eleven OzTAM & RegionalTAM media markets, Adelaide is the eighth largest.

I wish you marketing students wouldn't spoil my pre-conceived beliefs with boring old stats!

Derider
Derider
Pro

We're not in New Zealand. Union is in terminal decline here and consistently rates poorly in all states. There is literally zero danger of the Wallabies stealing the Socceroos' thunder during the world cup. 
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Derider - 28 May 2018 9:34 PM
We're not in New Zealand. Union is in terminal decline here and consistently rates poorly in all states. There is literally zero danger of the Wallabies stealing the Socceroos' thunder during the world cup. 

Union is dead in Australia. I still think this time around there is a lack of coverage. There is literally only one (optus sport) network at Socceroos training at the moment and the reach they have is even smaller than foxsports.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
nomates - 28 May 2018 9:29 PM
Derider - 28 May 2018 9:22 PM

I highly doubt that.

The All Blacks will definitely out rate the All Whites this year, but it won't be the same story over here.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Griffindinho - 28 May 2018 8:27 PM
theres been optus billboards advertising the world cup in melbourne CBD and on bus stops.

This is some good news.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

lebo_roo - 28 May 2018 9:40 PM
Derider - 28 May 2018 9:34 PM

I still think this time around there is a lack of coverage. There is literally only one (optus sport) network at Socceroos training at the moment and the reach they have is even smaller than foxsports.

The reason for starting this thread is that the interest in the WC seems to have diminished in Australia from 12 years ago.

It seems that most Aussies who don't follow football, and the mainstream media, probably think WC qualification is similar in ease to automatic participation at the Olympics. The biggest event for the mainstream media in football is when European teams come out here to play friendlies in the off season, which is strange.

I'd surmise in the other 31 WC countries playing in Russia, quite a number I've travelled to, there are stories everywhere in the media about their country's WC participation.

Not only are there many outside football in Oz who are indifferent to the code, or overtly hate football, there are  so many within supposed football supporters, who  despise  football in their country of residence. It is a perplexing and bizarre scenario.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search