BDP

Author
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hounddog - 28 May 2020 8:52 PM
Marki - 28 May 2020 8:48 PM

Good to see you are even more optimistic than normal.

A smaller side has to stay in the fight, fitness might work for them at the back end.

The game is a better style, less wrestle more action.

Game is faster. We are slow.
This will affect us badly, as we dont het to make 20-30mins with kick for touch. It's like having a Josh Reynolds out there trying to take a quick tap from a penalty no matter where he is on the field..
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Marki - 28 May 2020 8:54 PM
hounddog - 28 May 2020 8:52 PM

Game is faster. We are slow.
This will affect us badly, as we dont het to make 20-30mins with kick for touch. It's like having a Josh Reynolds out there trying to take a quick tap from a penalty no matter where he is on the field..

* Get to make 20-30m *
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I hate it when Parra win, this must be a nightmare..
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Marki - 28 May 2020 8:48 PM
Just watching this game and the new 6 again rule and all I can say is if we thought we were going to struggle before, we will get slaughtered now.

I dont think this rule suits us at all.
In fact, some teams might purposely commit ruck infringements just to give us 6 again and give their team a breather while we run it out 1 man wide of ruck and flop at defenders.

Hahaha... god love ya Marki
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

The commentators were creaming themselves over the game. I didn't find it as impressive as they made out. Scummamatta had 90% of the ball and only started to get away in the last 15 minutes. The Groncos were their own worst enemies but hey, no love lost it's only Brisbane.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

ODF - 28 May 2020 9:50 PM
The commentators were creaming themselves over the game. I didn't find it as impressive as they made out. Scummamatta had 90% of the ball and only started to get away in the last 15 minutes. The Groncos were their own worst enemies but hey, no love lost it's only Brisbane.

Parra got a lot of the early calls, Brisbane bungled some early opportunities.

The game is more like traditional footy with less wrestle and more fatigue...

I think we see more games like this when a team gets on top it is a long way back.

Danger for us is being dominated and conceding a lot of points. With these rules basic footy and good execution will bring points. Broncos could have posted 2-3 more tries.

Broncos line speed was too slow most of the game, they sat back and watched, Parras halves hssd a lot of time to run and pass. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Anyway it is better than no footy.
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

ODF - 28 May 2020 9:50 PM

100% agree. 

Marki does make a point that our team needs to find someone to take advantage of this 6 again rule... tonight you had Moses, Mahoney, Gutherson etc all over it when the tackle restarted to get their team on the attack

DWZ needs to be around the bloody ball inside the opposition 20, as does Hoppa when we get our fair share of 6 again calls go our way

Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

hounddog - 28 May 2020 8:53 PM
tony v_1 - 28 May 2020 8:52 PM

Doesn't sound good.

The only one I can think of that remotely fits is Inu. I hope it's not true
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

It was good to see a game without a referee with his head in every tackle barking instructions.
I don't think we should see this as a reduction from two referees to one.  More four to three, with the touchies playing a greater part assisting the centre ref.  What they've been doing lately you could train a monkey to do.  The ref also has the assistance of the bunker on important calls.
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Mdog, there was always only one referee and I never liked the introduction of two a few years back. I couldn't understand NRLol's logic or reason for it. As far as the six again rule, good concept, it stops the wrestling and definitely lets the game flow. I can see one drawback with it though. The ref could (wink,wink,nudge,nudge) give one team a plethora of these calls early in a game knowing full well that he is sucking energy from the other team and knowing they wont last the distance. I think we will see a lot of blowout scores in the final 10 - 15 minutes of games, but thats just my observstion. Let's see what the rest of the round brings. As a final comment what the new rules will expose is how well a coach uses his bench.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

ODF - 29 May 2020 6:23 AM
Mdog, there was always only one referee and I never liked the introduction of two a few years back. I couldn't understand NRLol's logic or reason for it. As far as the six again rule, good concept, it stops the wrestling and definitely lets the game flow. I can see one drawback with it though. The ref could (wink,wink,nudge,nudge) give one team a plethora of these calls early in a game knowing full well that he is sucking energy from the other team and knowing they wont last the distance. I think we will see a lot of blowout scores in the final 10 - 15 minutes of games, but thats just my observstion. Let's see what the rest of the round brings. As a final comment what the new rules will expose is how well a coach uses his bench.

ODF in this particular game early 6 again calls were telling.

But the Broncos bungled some early chances and missed Fifita and Pangai jnr.

I think we will see more upsets and unpredictable results. The wrestle, chatting to the ref and game management are less important. Early possession, luck and execution are more important.

When momentum rules the refs have less influence, the game isn't about 1-2 calls.

Yes refs might decide games, but that is no different to recent years. We hope refs don't intentionally decide games.
BloodyNora
BloodyNora
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I didn't watch the football. I only saw half a minute on channel 9 before I went to sleep early. It was enough to notice they'd dubbed in canned laughter/crowd noise. I don't think that's good at all because they had the rare opportunity of millions of extra viewers worldwide due to all the sport starved nations & to put it bluntly - it's insulting to all viewers - many of which they might've kept as fans instead of losing for life. I don't know if it was the same for the Fox network coverage or if it was 9 or Fox that went worldwide, so I'm hoping with Fox they didn't do that & wont do it again if they did. The dubbing was blatantly dishonest for all to see & hear. It's an empty stadium & nothing short of a dodgy brothers bollywood production for trying to pretend otherwise. It was their big chance to promo the sport worldwide & they not only did the dubbing noise, they say - want to buy Milo Kerrigan?! (I can imagine the chorus of millions - nah you can keep that)

I'll try to check out more than just half a minute of a match today on Fox. Depending how that goes, I might have to tune into the Sunday Canterbury match on the radio instead. It's already reaching that point for me with the cricket too, it's becoming unrecognisable & there's barely anything left from every blade of grass to every part of the whites they haven't been trying to mess with or change or colour in or cover in ads etc. An eyesore is bad enough without them dubbing in an earsore as well..

Marki
Marki
World Class

Mooloolabadog - 28 May 2020 10:30 PM
It was good to see a game without a referee with his head in every tackle barking instructions.
I don't think we should see this as a reduction from two referees to one.  More four to three, with the touchies playing a greater part assisting the centre ref.  What they've been doing lately you could train a monkey to do.  The ref also has the assistance of the bunker on important calls.

Yes I agree. In fact if they can either mute the ref except for key calls it might make the telecast even better.

In recent years rugby league telecast had become all about the refs. They would call hold, release, out (from a scrum) etc etc. Just way too much coaching or babysitting.

I think its time they just focused on calling the offside plays and let the players figure out how to play to the rules. 
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I didn't mind the canned crowd at all (on Fox). The best credit for it was that after a while I didn't even notice it at all, just sounded.... almost normal. And it didn't over-whelm the talk from the players who came through loud and clear.

And I don't think it was "blatantly dishonest", come on. I mean everyone on the planet knows what's going on... unless somebody's been off planet for the last 6 months. They were hardly trying to fool anyone, you only have to notice there's nobody in the f***in' stands.

Just a little something to help us feel a bit more normal so why the hate? I could understand if it sounded terrible. Sounded much better than those retro matches FOX has been doing with the live commentary where they had to dub over all the old commentary so had to use canned crowds which didn't really match the action. They obviously learnt a lot from that. It was surprisingly better because you'd think it'd be harder to do live than pre-recorded.

So let's not complain about every f***in thing somebody's trying in circumstances nobody's had to try before.

Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I think we'll see less and less 6 again calls because I noticed something last night I doubt I've ever seen in League - players desperate to get out of the ruck. They didn't want to give the 6 again and they got out of the way quicker once the early flurry made the point clear that this thing is on.

So it worked. But they'll have to keep on top of it because coaches are already trying to figure out a way around it.

And f*** them, make them learn and we will see less and less 6 agains.
BloodyNora
BloodyNora
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Maybe they can use the P.A systems at the grounds to blast out some canned crowd noise for the players if they think it'll help, but seriously if Fox have borked it too, then radio it is for me. 

I might try having the TV on with their sound muted & the radio on. It used to work well when Roy & HG called the grand finals on teams I didn't care much for, it at least put some entertainment into it years ago.  
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

CGI crowds next so we can all feel a bit normal...

Flash the crowd figure up on the screen so we can feel safe... "No way theres 12 thousand there" I would say to Villi on zoom with new York in the background...

Holographic pocket referee for player mental health...

You know, an authentic rugba league experience in the NV'L!!!... 

If I want to watch and listen to fake shit, I'll watch reality TV...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 29 May 2020 9:48 AM

Flash the crowd figure up on the screen so we can feel safe... "No way theres 12 thousand there" I would say to Villi on zoom with new York in the background...

Let's have CGI players with online votes determining who wins ... :) 
A vote on every pass, tackle or kick...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Zef - 29 May 2020 8:14 AM
I think we'll see less and less 6 again calls because I noticed something last night I doubt I've ever seen in League - players desperate to get out of the ruck. They didn't want to give the 6 again and they got out of the way quicker once the early flurry made the point clear that this thing is on.

So it worked. But they'll have to keep on top of it because coaches are already trying to figure out a way around it.

And f*** them, make them learn and we will see less and less 6 agains.

I agree...

We may win more games as we will finally get some faster play the balls...

If not there will be more action in our losses, and the opposition will score some fancy tries....

It was also obvious to me that Parra stood deeper in attack a bit more like traditional footy... there was time to move the ball because the defence could not get up and cut off the play...

I don't think we will see many grinding low scoring games, I don;t mind high scoring games myself,  they are more likely to feature skilful tries and it is more likely that the better team wins.. If we are not the better team, we have to cop it... and work on becoming the better team..
BloodyNora
BloodyNora
Semi-Pro

Canned sports crowd noise is a new variant for me, but canned laughter used on TV (which is where I presume they got the idea from - unless they thought they were the first to think of it) has been the bugbear of many for generations, which is why I was surprised they did that as it's such a well known detested practice.

I remember years back, just to use an example, Judy Dench did a show that used CL & there was a massive backlash for it because it made it unwatchable for many. It was the one with the Yes, Minister guy - or something like that. The bottom line was they were saying it was well written etc but ruined by canned laughter. It wasn't the first show to cop it either. 

I'm not being critical on the broadcaster for trying things, but as long as they're good ideas, not bad or divisive ones & in this case they should've known. For both 9 & Fox to do it isn't good for those that can't stand that kind of thing. Good luck to those it doesn't bother, sweet dreams, but for the rest it's awful, like seeing a used car dealer put a Mercedes badge on a beat up old Hyundai & trying to do a con job on you, especially when you know & accept there's restrictions & just want to watch sport without that kind of thing in the ear all the way. 

tony v_1
tony v_1
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)Hardcore Fan (262 reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 28 May 2020 10:21 PM
hounddog - 28 May 2020 8:53 PM

The only one I can think of that remotely fits is Inu. I hope it's not true

Not inu not rona
our recruitment is going backwards for a so called cashed side 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

tony v_1 - 29 May 2020 12:28 PM

Not inu not rona

Rona is 28 wasn't a bad player form what I can remember... 

Possibly replacing Okunbour this year and Holland next year on reasonable money...

We need to save our cash for key positions... I'll leave that to the club... but IMO we are deficient is some key areas... mainly spine players and forwards, outside backs are not our biggest problem... 
Edited
4 Years Ago by hounddog
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Not inu not rona

Tony...why are you being so secretive? It's not like we are asking your hot dog mate for the list of the subtle herbs and spices he uses in his weiners

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Steveswr33333 - 29 May 2020 2:08 PM

Tony...why are you being so secretive? It's not like we are asking your hot dog mate for the list of the subtle herbs and spices he uses in his weiners

It’s harder to be completely wrong if you don’t name names...

The hot dog guy as a source is weaker than when dad made you put water in the tomato sauce to get one more meal out of the bottle...
Marki
Marki
World Class

BloodyNora - 29 May 2020 11:47 AM

Canned sports crowd noise is a new variant for me, but canned laughter used on TV (which is where I presume they got the idea from - unless they thought they were the first to think of it) has been the bugbear of many for generations, which is why I was surprised they did that as it's such a well known detested practice.

I remember years back, just to use an example, Judy Dench did a show that used CL & there was a massive backlash for it because it made it unwatchable for many. It was the one with the Yes, Minister guy - or something like that. The bottom line was they were saying it was well written etc but ruined by canned laughter. It wasn't the first show to cop it either. 

I'm not being critical on the broadcaster for trying things, but as long as they're good ideas, not bad or divisive ones & in this case they should've known. For both 9 & Fox to do it isn't good for those that can't stand that kind of thing. Good luck to those it doesn't bother, sweet dreams, but for the rest it's awful, like seeing a used car dealer put a Mercedes badge on a beat up old Hyundai & trying to do a con job on you, especially when you know & accept there's restrictions & just want to watch sport without that kind of thing in the ear all the way. 

I am truly surprised as to why anyone can be so against it....

Did you watch our round 2 game or any other round 2 games? Please dont tell me you prefer those.

This is by far better than any of that telecast. The canned noise was almost expertly dubbed in and as Zef pointed out never overpowered the commentary and only complemented the raised excited voices.

I dare say it sounded better than any other games with crowds. 

I also like the camera work and close ups  which purposely tried to keep the empty background stands out of site.

I can only commend Fox on what they did. 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Marki - 29 May 2020 3:36 PM
BloodyNora - 29 May 2020 11:47 AM

I am truly surprised as to why anyone can be so against it....

Did you watch our round 2 game or any other round 2 games? Please dont tell me you prefer those.

This is by far better than any of that telecast. The canned noise was almost expertly dubbed in and as Zef pointed out never overpowered the commentary and only complemented the raised excited voices.

I dare say it sounded better than any other games with crowds. 

I also like the camera work and close ups  which purposely tried to keep the empty background stands out of site.

I can only commend Fox on what they did. 

The death knell sounds for canned crowd...

We didn’t have a problem with no crowd noise, people or atmosphere at ANZ for a decade... why is it an issue now???...

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

What do they do when Vlan the impaler gets his 10,000 at ANZ???... use the live sound, the tape or a combo of both???...

This shit will lead to broadcasters playing the tape at all games with small crowds to generate atmosphere on TV...

its fake and it’s shit because it’s fake...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Maybe a red button thing could do the job???...
Hit the red button the listen to fake crowd noise or don’t to listen to the authentic sounds of the game...
ODF
ODF
Pro

I just found it unnerving to hear a crowd in the background knowing full well there was no crowd there at all. As far as I am concerned, if you want to hear a crowd then go to the game.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search