Melbourne Victory signs Keisuke Honda

Melbourne Victory signs Keisuke Honda

Author
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Melbourne Victory Football Club is delighted to confirm the signing of Keisuke Honda, the highest scoring Asian player in FIFA World Cup history.

This announcement represents the biggest signing in Melbourne Victory’s history, with Keisuke set to become a Club and League marquee player for the 2018/19 season. This accomplishment has been achieved with the support of Football Federation Australia and broadcast partner, Fox Sports, which the Club greatly appreciates.  

His arrival will be welcomed by our members & fans, our corporate partners and the wider football family and will trigger global interest in the Hyundai A-League and Melbourne Victory.

Honda is the highest-profile player to join Melbourne Victory; a genuine world class player who has enjoyed success at club and international level, playing at AC Milan (Italy) Pachuca (Mexico), VVV-Venlo (Holland), CSKA Moscow (Russia) and Nagoya Grampus (Japan). In 2011, Honda played an integral role in Japan’s AFC Asian Cup winning squad and was awarded ‘most valuable player’ of the tournament.

In 98 appearances for the Japan National Team he scored 37 goals and is credited with being the only Japanese player to score at three different World Cups (2010, 2014, 2018).

Honda has equally impressive business acumen having recently launched a venture capital fund with one of Hollywood’s most recognisable stars, Will Smith. Called “The Dreamers Fund”, the pair intend to raise $100 million for investments in start-up ventures with a social conscience.

Honda’s connection with Melbourne is already established. He has visited our city on multiple occasions having played at both AAMI Park and Etihad Stadium for his national team.  His links extend, as he was born in Osaka in 1986, the city with whom Melbourne established its first sister city relationship 40 years ago.

In addition, Honda also started his professional career in Aichi Prefecture, which is celebrating 38 years as a sister state to Victoria.

While his football pedigree is at the core of the decision to bring him to the Club, his signing also creates incredible opportunities to establish people-to-people relationships, with the aim of developing mutual friendships on a domestic and international scale.

We look forward to welcoming Keisuke and his family into our Victory family, with his expected arrival to be next week.

Quotes attributable to Anthony Di Pietro, Chairman, Melbourne Victory Football Club

“Signing Keisuke is a triumph for our Club and matches the ambition we have to grow the Melbourne Victory brand and deliver success both on and off the field to our members, fans and corporate partners.”

“This signing presents a wonderful opportunity for the Victory family and I want to be bold and say that we will be the first A-League club to achieve 30,000 members and beyond.”

“We would like to acknowledge and thank Football Federation Australia and Fox Sports, for helping make today possible.”

Quotes attributable to Kevin Muscat, Head coach, Melbourne Victory Football Club

“It goes without saying that Keisuke has consistently proven himself at the highest level and we can’t wait to see what he can do in Melbourne.”

“He brings world-class ability and offers great flexibility in the front third of the pitch.”

“It’s obviously an added benefit to have him a part of our AFC Asian Champions League campaign too.” 

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/news/melbourne-victory-signs-keisuke-honda

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We da best
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Hate the vuck but cant wait to see what Mr.Civic will bring to the table. 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

JDB03 - 6 Aug 2018 10:13 AM

Ha not bad
simione001
simione001
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

great signing for victory. still a lot o f work to do. pretty bare looking squad. gotta sign a few more quality players at least otherwise it will be a bit of a waste.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

$200
$200
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I wonder if he's considering settling down in Aus long term? Otherwise I honestly don't understand why he wouldn't go to Japan instead.

sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

jlm8695 - 6 Aug 2018 10:04 AM
 His links extend, as he was born in Osaka in 1986, the city with whom Melbourne established its first sister city relationship 40 years ago.

Must have been the tipping point. Who said these things weren't worthwhile?
simione001
simione001
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

$200 - 6 Aug 2018 10:28 AM
I wonder if he's considering settling down in Aus long term? Otherwise I honestly don't understand why he wouldn't go to Japan instead.

maybe he just wants to experience something different.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Press conference live now:

https://www.facebook.com/gomvfc/videos/10151057059659944/?notif_id=1533515606133335&notif_t=live_video_explicit

Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

walnuts - 6 Aug 2018 10:17 AM

Ha not bad

I have a feeling that he will tear up the HAL. I might even pay to go watch him play other than when he plays City. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

God how awesome is ADP and his positivity.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Bigger than Kewell ?

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Great signing!!!! He will be very very very good.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

I'm over the moon with this. Obviously a great talent, and looks like he'll bring with him a teriffic attitude. He returned my double thumbs up to him when the Japanese team did the sporting thing and applauded the away fans in our qualifier in Tokyo, so he's already a good guy in my books.

This signing alone totally shits on the AFL's attempts to get noticed in Asia too. Talks of a broadcast deal in Japan and hopefully we'll bag a few sponsors too, especially with the ACL coming up.

The away trip to the Japanese team we'll inevitably draw in the group stage will be a must!

Fuck the NCIP, I hope some Victory active supporters wave a Japanese flag or two to welcome him, like how they had Aussie flags in the home end at Kennedy's club.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Changing Rooms Cleaner warming the bench now

Maybe go out on Loan for a year

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

One year deal, yeah?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

I'm so glad he and the club reached an accord. He's just amaze, a total legend. Still young and fit, he'll be freed to crv up defences. He'll pilot us on an odyssey into the ACL. Vamos!

Alright I think we're done here.

I could make more, but CBF.
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 6 Aug 2018 10:49 AM
Bigger than Kewell ?

Kewell had like 4-5k at his first Victory training session...

I fully expect Honda to play to his potential and be the leagues best player. But the only crowds he is gonna boost are Victorys...provided the team is winning as he stars.
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro

paladisious - 6 Aug 2018 11:15 AM

I'm so glad he and the club reached an accord. He's just amaze, a total legend. Still young and fit, he'll be freed to crv up defences. He'll pilot us on an odyssey into the ACL. Vamos!

Agreed thats enough lol
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I'll be bringing back this classic meme this season. Hoping more so for when he makes an absolute blunder of course lol

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

paladisious - 6 Aug 2018 11:15 AM

Bravo

Good for the league this. Looking forward to seeing Regan put him in his pocket.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

do like Honda., but would rather him at a decent club :D
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Well played stiflersmom 😂
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Great signing and will look forward to watching him play
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Waiting for Troisi to try and take set pieces off Honda. Troisi might want to watch some highlights first :)
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Great signing for the club and for the league, very good player that I feel would dominate the league quite easily
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Well done MV. So when’s the acl draw?
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Well done MV great signing
Bullet Club
Bullet Club
Fan
Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)Fan (95 reputation)

Being of Japanese descent myself, a Melburian and also a Victory supporter, I'm a happy little Vegemite right now.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search