Western United Thread

Western United Thread

Author
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Feed_The_Brox - 8 Mar 2019 9:37 AM
someguyjc - 7 Mar 2019 4:01 PM

actually its the opposite. they were very confident and thought they were over the line. they only got nervous when the old FFA delayed the announcement because no one knew if the new FFA were gonna accept the Deloitte recommendations. Plus it also gave Team 11 more time to get their stadium funding. 

The info is few and far between because they have shit loads to do. Just think about what they have to do... start a team from scratch, sign players and staff. design and build a stadium. find a temporary stadium. find sponsors. enagage the fan base. etc, etc. I don't believe they have the resources yet to do all of this at once, so I do agree that perhaps they were a bit naive and underestimated the tasks at hand.

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 7 Mar 2019 4:40 PM

FWIW, i don't know if this it true or not. I am only speculating. but it makes total sense.  

Yep. Workers are asking questions because  nothing has been said and the council hasn't actually come out and responded to any questions. 
SlashThingy
SlashThingy
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

robstazzz - 9 Mar 2019 5:31 PM
Melbcityguy - 8 Mar 2019 6:16 AM

Yeh I agree they could get anywhere between 3k and 4.5k.

I don't know if that is sarcasm or not, but that's really bad.

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

SlashThingy - 11 Mar 2019 8:38 PM

Honestly, it’s going to be hard for them to maintain any type of core base to work from, so it could well be the case.

it appears they have reached a deal to play in Geelong though:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/western-united-secure-deal-at-kardinia-park-20190311-p513cy.html

New A-League franchise Western United have kicked an important goal, securing Kardinia Park as a home ground in their inaugural season.

It's understood a deal between the venue, now known as GMHBA Stadium, and Western United will be confirmed this week, with United to play a minimum of seven matches at the home of AFL club Geelong.

——

Only 7 matches it looks like though, so that leaves a few to play in Ballarat or elsewhere in the western region. 

It will be a fairly nomadic existence for a while, which will be hard to see leading to anything resembling stability.

The interesting question now is where do they use as a training base? I would hope it wouldn’t be a Melbourne Heart type training set up back in the early days, but it’s hard to find a decent facility without pouring cash into a temporary solution.

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

It's a bad idea to play in a city you don't represent, and then to play in a stadium way too big in capacity, and designed not to suit football. So with all these 3 negatives in mind I'm actually being serious that they won't get crowds that some people are dreaming of. I honestly don't expect them to get more than 5k.
A shit decision will get shit crowds. I really hope I'm wrong though. 
Anyways they've signed up to play 7 games a season so it'll be interesting to see where the others will be played but my guess is the derby games will be at AAMI Park.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

robstazzz - 11 Mar 2019 11:24 PM

It's a bad idea to play in a city you don't represent, and then to play in a stadium way too big in capacity, and designed not to suit football. So with all these 3 negatives in mind I'm actually being serious that they won't get crowds that some people are dreaming of. I honestly don't expect them to get more than 5k.
A shit decision will get shit crowds. I really hope I'm wrong though. 
Anyways they've signed up to play 7 games a season so it'll be interesting to see where the others will be played but my guess is the derby games will be at AAMI Park.

Maybe out of necessity of their situation, but I would argue they do actually represent Geelong though and have gone out of their way to brand themselves as broad as possible to include Western Victoria. Even the logo seems to be more on a WV than a WU :)

Ideally they would still have a game in Gellong even when they move, but that likely won’t stack up as the Wyndham Stadium will need all the content it can to make it pay off. Having a continued presence there would at least provide a stronger case of ‘ownership’ by potential fans of the club.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Heart_fan - 11 Mar 2019 11:31 PM
robstazzz - 11 Mar 2019 11:24 PM

Maybe out of necessity of their situation, but I would argue they do actually represent Geelong though and have gone out of their way to brand themselves as broad as possible to include Western Victoria. Even the logo seems to be more on a WV than a WU :)

Ideally they would still have a game in Gellong even when they move, but that likely won’t stack up as the Wyndham Stadium will need all the content it can to make it pay off. Having a continued presence there would at least provide a stronger case of ‘ownership’ by potential fans of the club.

I'm sorry but if they have their own 15k football stadium built and decide to play any A-league games away in Geelong they deserve to be blown up for their stupidity. 
As for not having options I'd rather they play out of a regional ground somewhere in Melbourne. I don't know the area we'll but is there anything within 30 minutes drive from Tarneit with 5k capacity like a state league ground or something?
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

robstazzz - 11 Mar 2019 11:38 PM

I'm sorry but if they have their own 15k football stadium built and decide to play any A-league games away in Geelong they deserve to be blown up for their stupidity. 
As for not having options I'd rather they play out of a regional ground somewhere in Melbourne. I don't know the area we'll but is there anything within 30 minutes drive from Tarneit with 5k capacity like a state league ground or something?

I agree, hence why I said that it won’t stack up with their investment in the stadium.

The benefits of the new stadium will be great if they get it right, but operating costs likely still won’t be cheap. The benefit will hopefully be the food/drink and hospitality revenues going into the clubs accounts, which is something most clubs miss out on.

That does create the challenge though of continued representation of areas like Geelong and Ballarat after the first 2 years, but at least the former is on the same train line to the new stadium.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

New A-League franchise Western United have kicked an important goal, securing Kardinia Park as a home ground in their inaugural season.

It's understood a deal between the venue, now known as GMHBA Stadium, and Western United will be confirmed this week, with United to play a minimum of seven matches at the home of AFL club Geelong.

GMHBA Stadium also hosts AFL, AFLW and cricket.Credit:AAP

The new club continues to work towards building a new soccer-specific stadium in Tarneit, in Melbourne's west. They hope to have fully embraced their new home by their third season.

One immediate issue that will need to be addressed is that Kardinia Park will host six matches in the women's Twenty20 World Cup in February-March next year, meaning the venue will be off limits for several weeks. The A-League starts in mid to late October.

Western United were awarded the league's 11th licence in December last year. Kardinia Park has used about $250 million of state and federal government funding for upgrades over the past 16 years, in part to help it attract other sports outside of AFL games.

As part of their pitch to gain the A-League licence, United pledged to build their own 15,000-seat boutique stadium, an initiative that would make them unique in the A-League in owning their own ground.

They have entered a private/public partnership with Wyndham Council and are hopeful that their economic model might provide a new pathway for stadium development in Australia.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Melbcityguy
Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 12 Mar 2019 10:55 AM

GMHBA Stadium also hosts AFL, AFLW and cricket.Credit:AAP

The new club continues to work towards building a new soccer-specific stadium in Tarneit, in Melbourne's west. They hope to have fully embraced their new home by their third season.

One immediate issue that will need to be addressed is that Kardinia Park will host six matches in the women's Twenty20 World Cup in February-March next year, meaning the venue will be off limits for several weeks. The A-League starts in mid to late October.

Western United were awarded the league's 11th licence in December last year. Kardinia Park has used about $250 million of state and federal government funding for upgrades over the past 16 years, in part to help it attract other sports outside of AFL games.

As part of their pitch to gain the A-League licence, United pledged to build their own 15,000-seat boutique stadium, an initiative that would make them unique in the A-League in owning their own ground.

They have entered a private/public partnership with Wyndham Council and are hopeful that their economic model might provide a new pathway for stadium development in Australia.

vs. Adelaide United in Ballarat please.
Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Savic - 12 Mar 2019 12:41 PM

Sunday afternoon. 3pm.
Thanks.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

In the worst kept secret they’ve officially announced Calver on a two year deal

ARNIE= LEGEND

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

That would be a sensible choice of opponent for Ballarat, even if it only shaves just over an hour each way for any away support making the drive.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Sounds like they are making progress in order of priority.

Wont be long now before they start providing information on the stadium design.

In a resort somewhere

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

agree with the first point. it takes 30 minutes by train from Geelong to Tarneit. why would they continue to play anywhere else, let alone an oval stadium after they move in?

Some have mentioned knights stadium, but that won't happen. I think Whitten Oval should be looked at as an option. yes I know its oval, but at least its in the west, and its next to a train station. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro

paladisious - 12 Mar 2019 1:00 PM

That would be a sensible choice of opponent for Ballarat, even if it only shaves just over an hour each way for any away support making the drive.

It would be a very popular away trip for AU fans. May even be more numerous than any WU supporters.
How many does it hold there? I've only ever driven past it..
Edited
5 Years Ago by Savic
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

I agree for the most part, however there is the potential issue of the WUFC v MV derbies where WUFC are the home team. Hypothetically, lets say that by the time the stadium is built, WUFC are getting 10K+ attendance numbers (i'm still sceptical but let's not rule it out just yet). It could then make more financial sense to send the WUFC v MV derby to Geelong to maximise ticket sales.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Looks like they've signed AP.

They're also interested in Ryan McGowan, Inman and Emanuele Testardi.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/local-soccer-sa/90-minutes-sa-stars-on-western-uniteds-radar-ffsa-content-with-contracts-message-and-reds-wleague-talent-sydneybound/news-story/940a9bcb259fdac170ac892b8d7a261b

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Paywall. Testardi looks uninspiring

ARNIE= LEGEND

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

RedKat - 12 Mar 2019 5:48 PM

Opening the link again usually works.
sub007
sub007
World Class

RedKat - 12 Mar 2019 5:48 PM

Agree on Testardi but because he's Italian Val keeps fapping over him in all of his articles. 

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class

someguyjc - 12 Mar 2019 1:30 PM

I agree for the most part, however there is the potential issue of the WUFC v MV derbies where WUFC are the home team. Hypothetically, lets say that by the time the stadium is built, WUFC are getting 10K+ attendance numbers (i'm still sceptical but let's not rule it out just yet). It could then make more financial sense to send the WUFC v MV derby to Geelong to maximise ticket sales.

No I'd still keep it at their new 15k stadium. Is rather look at examples like in England where the small clubs play at their home ground regardless of what sort of crowd they'll get at a bigger venue. 
14k WUFC fans and allocate 1k to MV fans or something similar. 
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class

Feed_The_Brox - 12 Mar 2019 1:19 PM

agree with the first point. it takes 30 minutes by train from Geelong to Tarneit. why would they continue to play anywhere else, let alone an oval stadium after they move in?

Some have mentioned knights stadium, but that won't happen. I think Whitten Oval should be looked at as an option. yes I know its oval, but at least its in the west, and its next to a train station. 

I'd like to see them play at Knights Stadium if they're allowed to otherwise I agree with you on Whitten Oval.
I just had a look at it and although shocking, at least it's in the area and isn't over 35k capacity like in Geelong.
SlashThingy
SlashThingy
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

Both of those are right in Victory territory.

Champagne Football
Champagne Football
Super Fan
Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)

SlashThingy - 12 Mar 2019 6:44 PM

The whole of Victoria has been "Victory territory" until now.
Champagne Football
Champagne Football
Super Fan
Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)

....and probably will continue to be.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

robstazzz - 12 Mar 2019 6:21 PM
No I'd still keep it at their new 15k stadium. Is rather look at examples like in England where the small clubs play at their home ground regardless of what sort of crowd they'll get at a bigger venue. 
14k WUFC fans and allocate 1k to MV fans or something similar. 

They will be playing all games out of Tarneit stadium including derbies. i have heard they will be capping the away team numbers to minimise the possibility of being outnumbered at home like what happens to City at home derbies. i don't know how that would work as Victory fans could just buy tix in other areas anyway. 

SlashThingy - 12 Mar 2019 6:44 PM

yep. whitten oval is literally about 2km from the site of the new Victory football academy. but we're only talking about 5-6 games over 2 years at most.   

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Well it looks like Western are going to have a great NPL side judging by their signings and rumoured signings. 
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

If you lumped all the rumours into one team:

Birighitti/Kurto
Risdon McGowan Aspro Davidson
Kone-Chapman
Pain-Pasquali-Inman
Stamatalopoulos

Bench: Calver, Testardi.

Defence and midfield reasonable. Attack needs work

ARNIE= LEGEND

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

brad inman i always try to buy him on football manager 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

RedKat - 13 Mar 2019 11:13 AM
If you lumped all the rumours into one team:

Birighitti/Kurto
Risdon McGowan Aspro Davidson
Kone-Chapman
Pain-Pasquali-Inman
Stamatalopoulos

Bench: Calver, Testardi.

Defence and midfield reasonable. Attack needs work

Add in 3 more imports that are decent and they could be anywhere between 5th-8th
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search