Western United Thread

Western United Thread

Author
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Usually succeed on your attacking imports anyway.
JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Are WU getting an extra import slot? Similar to the Wanderers first season?

SlashThingy
SlashThingy
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 13 Mar 2019 9:18 AM
robstazzz - 12 Mar 2019 6:21 PM

They will be playing all games out of Tarneit stadium including derbies. i have heard they will be capping the away team numbers to minimise the possibility of being outnumbered at home like what happens to City at home derbies. i don't know how that would work as Victory fans could just buy tix in other areas anyway.

How the fuck is that allowed? If they do that, us (and City) need to reciprocate at our home games.

SlashThingy
SlashThingy
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

JayEss - 13 Mar 2019 2:43 PM

They shouldn't. They're allegedly ultra rich, why don't they just bring good imports?

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Only if its Dino Kersinger its allowed.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

SlashThingy - 13 Mar 2019 7:28 PM

They shouldn't. They're allegedly ultra rich, why don't they just bring good imports?

The WSW concession was because the club had to assemble a team in 6 weeks and the concern was there weren't enough local players available at the time. 

While this concern isn't there, I don't mind it. Gives the incoming club a bit of a boost and stops recycling to a degree.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Linked to Dylan Pierias. Hope they give him more of a go than City did
https://dailyfootballshow.com/exclusive-western-united-set-to-nab-melbourne-city-teenager/

ARNIE= LEGEND

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someone made a good point in the wmg group they should go for alexandre pato he is now a free agent 
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 19 Mar 2019 7:33 AM
someone made a good point in the wmg group they should go for alexandre pato he is now a free agent 

I can't believe he's only 29. Feels like he's been around forever
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Apparently Bentleigh Greens winger, Valentino Yuel is going to be their next signing.

Geez Vic clubs sure love poaching SA talent...

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/local-soccer-sa/90-minutes-adelaide-comets-coach-explains-resignation-western-united-tracks-sa-talent-polonia-reserves-holy-history/news-story/feb619e82d6ce717ec3c7a723fce4744

Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

Happy for anyone from the NPL coming into the A-league.

There is talent there and i hope they succeed

Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

sub007 - 23 Mar 2019 5:41 PM

Its amazing isn't it. SA is THE football state and the Vics know it. Unfortunately most kids will jump at the chance to head to Melbs for a while too, something different, big stinking city etc.. and they take full advantage of that.
Adelaide needs to learn to retain its players and it needs greater upper tier clubs to reflect that.

Anoyher paywalled link, who've they snapped up?

rusty0256
rusty0256
Fan
Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)

Is anyone else out there feeling a bit underwhelmed by this whole Western United bid? 
I know they appear to be getting their on-field act together but I'm very curious as to where they are getting their supporters from; and then, once they get them, how they are going to keep them?  I get that if they were opening up shop from day #1 with games at their home base in the Tarniet area it would be straightforward enough.  Market to the local (particularly ethnic origin) communities on the 'build it and they will come' strategy.  The problem is the 'build it' thingy won't happen for two or three years!  
It seem they are either going to play their games in Geelong and / or maybe even at Docklands for at least the first two seasons.  A club that is opening it's doors with no established fan base, is going to be on a two/three season road trip up to 50 km's away from where their primary fans are going to be living.  If they end up in Kardinia Park the Geelong community are unlikely to be interested because the club are effectively transient visitors, not much different to the Victory games held there. 
Wanderers spent a few seasons building up an incredibly strong supporter base but as soon as they moved to Spotless their fan base started to fall apart.  Part of that was due distance and part due to games being held in a soulless AFL stadium.  It will be the same for Western United, except of course that they won't have had the luxury of establishing a local, vocal 'home' fan base beforehand. 
The remaining question I have is, is this an area that is even hungry for a team?  Is there the same groundswell of support amongst the population out there, the same way it appeared there was for the failed South East Team 11 bid?   
My fear is that this whole thing could go horribly wrong with the FFA seemingly ignoring the lack of a solid fan base and the inevitable years of transience; they seemed rather more enticed by the supposed promise of football infrastructure (not to mention the multi-million bid fee).   
What if their games end up attracting Gold Coast United-esque crowds?   Do you think the developers will push forward with the proposed 12-15,000 boutique stadium if their first two-season 'crowds' barely are?  
I really hope that I am wrong, I'm a Vuck supporter and love the idea of a genuine away Derby, but frankly for me it's looking less like a exciting Tarniet bound train trip and more like a slo-mo train wreck!    The last thing football in this country needs is another embarrassing disaster.    
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Basically imo they are following the Gold Coast United model, no fan engagement or any consultation with fans but putting together a reasonable squad for season 1.
They are hoping that having a competitive squad will bring in the fans but it won’t.

What they desperately need is the equivalent of a Matt Windley from Team 11 bid.
He has and continues to do excellent promotion and PR for team 11 by heading to local clubs and grassroots football promoting their region and the sport in general.
Western United has done basically zero in this regard and considering junior registration nights would be on around this time of year. They are missing big opportunities to put their brand out there.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

what's the expectations for them next season?

I would say a pass mark would be a crowd of 10k at least 
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 25 Mar 2019 10:44 AM

Completely unrealistic imo. I’ll think they’ll struggle to crack 5k imo.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

aussie pride - 25 Mar 2019 8:24 AM
Basically imo they are following the Gold Coast United model, no fan engagement or any consultation with fans but putting together a reasonable squad for season 1. They are hoping that having a competitive squad will bring in the fans but it won’t. What they desperately need is the equivalent of a Matt Windley from Team 11 bid. He has and continues to do excellent promotion and PR for team 11 by heading to local clubs and grassroots football promoting their region and the sport in general. Western United has done basically zero in this regard and considering junior registration nights would be on around this time of year. They are missing big opportunities to put their brand out there.

Blame the FFA for this, they went for the safer option rather than working with the Victorian govt. to get Team 11 over the line.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

aussie pride - 25 Mar 2019 8:24 AM
Basically imo they are following the Gold Coast United model, no fan engagement or any consultation with fans but putting together a reasonable squad for season 1.They are hoping that having a competitive squad will bring in the fans but it won’t.What they desperately need is the equivalent of a Matt Windley from Team 11 bid.He has and continues to do excellent promotion and PR for team 11 by heading to local clubs and grassroots football promoting their region and the sport in general.Western United has done basically zero in this regard and considering junior registration nights would be on around this time of year. They are missing big opportunities to put their brand out there.

Spot on.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sub007 - 25 Mar 2019 11:37 AM

Completely unrealistic imo. I’ll think they’ll struggle to crack 5k imo.

If they get more than City crowds i'll be very surprised.

I agree with you.  5k tops.

Member since 2008.

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 25 Mar 2019 12:12 PM
If they get more than City crowds i'll be very surprised.

expect to be surprised then. perhaps not in year 1, but easily by year 3. 
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

If they were playing at Tarneit from the get-go I'd be much more optimistic, but playing 50km away at a oval-shaped shithole in those crucial formative years might cripple this franchise. If they average more than 5k a season against Interstate opposition at Kardinia I'll be amazed, honestly expecting to average 3k a game. However, once they're in Tarneit I think they'll probably sit around 7-8k. The area has a booming migrant population, which you'd think would be conducive for football. 

Another thing that worries me is that I haven't seen any promotion whatsoever, perhaps they're waiting till the off-season to start their marketing blitz?

FWIW I like what they're doing on the park. Giving young Aussies more opportunity for top-tier football is one of the main benefits of expansion and it's good to see they aren't just recycling has-beens.
Edited
5 Years Ago by 433
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

IMO they'll miss that by a long way. But there's not much point in starting the count until they are in their own stadium.

I'd call a pass mark a 10k average over their first 10 years in Tarneit.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Agree that their on-field recruitment has been fantastic. All credit must go to the two assistant managers.

Off the pitch... Yep, can’t see them getting crowds any bigger than city until they move to their stadium.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Probably the best thing for them is to get off to a winning start. Wanderers got so much early attention and fans because they were new and instant winners which made them a pretty trendy thing to be a part of. If Western can match it with Victory on the park next season thats going to help their brand alot

ARNIE= LEGEND

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

The new things coming to Point Cook, Tarneit
WHAT’S NEW There’s a lot happening in Melbourne’s west — a sports stadium, new schools, housing estates and large-scale developments shooting up at a fast rate. Here’s what to expect in your suburb.

in the herald sun paywalled 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Mar 2019 7:23 AM
The new things coming to Point Cook, Tarneit
WHAT’S NEW There’s a lot happening in Melbourne’s west — a sports stadium, new schools, housing estates and large-scale developments shooting up at a fast rate. Here’s what to expect in your suburb.

in the herald sun paywalled 

Large scale developments? Then why am I stuck in one lane traffic. If you sell the land to developers, it might be an idea to expand the roads and improve public transport. I really hope the suburban loop happens this term. That would be great because the traffic is no longer centralised.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class

I thought WSW fans were all ex SFC fans :)

RedKat
RedKat
Pro

Burztur - 26 Mar 2019 8:21 AM
I thought WSW fans were all ex SFC fans :)

Exactly ;) We were doing shit and you guys were winning heaps. Those who did swap would have ben far less inclined if Wanderers were sitting 10th and we were 1st. Not saying many wouldnt have anyway but being a winning new thing does make a club look trendy and help attract fans.

ARNIE= LEGEND

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 26 Mar 2019 7:38 AM
Large scale developments? Then why am I stuck in one lane traffic. If you sell the land to developers, it might be an idea to expand the roads and improve public transport. I really hope the suburban loop happens this term. That would be great because the traffic is no longer centralised.

The problem with Werribee, Tarneit, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing, Wyndhamvale, Williams Landing, Truganina, etc, is that the developers and council got greedy by building housing estates at the expense of road infrastructure. its a complete clusterfuck that will take years to untangle (if it can be untangled). 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 26 Mar 2019 1:22 PM
TheSelectFew - 26 Mar 2019 7:38 AM

The problem with Werribee, Tarneit, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing, Wyndhamvale, Williams Landing, Truganina, etc, is that the developers and council got greedy by building housing estates at the expense of road infrastructure. its a complete clusterfuck that will take years to untangle (if it can be untangled). 

I'd go one further and say that the problem with Australia is when we do build infrastructure it's usually inadequate by the time it is completed (which is usually far too long anyway) or inadequate within a few years. We always build what we need now, not what we will need in 10-20 years.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search