Ante Milicic has smashed FFA's underage youth team programs as "not serious"

Ante Milicic has smashed FFA's underage youth team programs as "not...

Author
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I guess it's good in a way there aren't bean counters at the top anymore. There aren't very many beans to count at all so one person could do it without a calculator at the moment. 
Short of forming economic partnerships with individuals and companies to get investment in the game, we're really just sitting around like lame ducks, waiting for some rich Aussie who loves football to throw millions of dollars at us without expecting to see any of it again. Surely some of these billionaires happy to bid for aleague licences could chuck some spare change to our junior national teams so we can have generate players to make the nation happy!
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

kaufusi - 20 Mar 2019 2:20 PM
I guess it's good in a way there aren't bean counters at the top anymore. There aren't very many beans to count at all so one person could do it without a calculator at the moment. 
Short of forming economic partnerships with individuals and companies to get investment in the game, we're really just sitting around like lame ducks, waiting for some rich Aussie who loves football to throw millions of dollars at us without expecting to see any of it again. Surely some of these billionaires happy to bid for aleague licences could chuck some spare change to our junior national teams so we can have generate players to make the nation happy!

Soccer Australia were able to organise more opportunities for our youth teams to play friendlies in the lead-up to major tournaments than the current FFA have done with far less access to resources and broadcasting revenue. 

The people at the top simply don't understand football. It's pretty much as easy as that. They are corporate consultants used to working for big banks, insurance companies and law firms. That is whose running our game at the moment. Those are the people who are calling the shots on youth development. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
A pertinent issue is that  nobody has been appointed of a national FFA TD for all ages since Berger left. He has never been replaced. Even though Abrams was 16 and under TD, he had little status.

It seems that FFA bean counters are making too many decisions  about football performance that the FFA Tech Dept should. Appointing a TD responsible for juniors up to senior level is integral to success and a holistic system.

Of course the lack of resources and lack of time together for national teams is a big issue too - as Milicic has elucidated.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

socceroo_06 - 20 Mar 2019 2:31 PM
kaufusi - 20 Mar 2019 2:20 PM

Soccer Australia were able to organise more opportunities for our youth teams to play friendlies in the lead-up to major tournaments than the current FFA have done with far less access to resources and broadcasting revenue. 

The people at the top simply don't understand football. It's pretty much as easy as that. They are corporate consultants used to working for big banks, insurance companies and law firms. That is whose running our game at the moment. Those are the people who are calling the shots on youth development. 

I'd have to say I agree with all this post.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro

Decentric - 25 Mar 2019 10:48 PM
socceroo_06 - 20 Mar 2019 2:31 PM

I'd have to say I agree with all this post.

I'm confused though...should I be suspicious of the functioning and operations of the FFA or are they just inept? 

I can't put my finger on it. 

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

They are focused on managing costs. Wrong metric to use...
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

When we see the FFA's baby in the Socceroos potentially miss out in 2022 after all the bad decisions they have then you know when they start to panic.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“They are focused on managing costs. Wrong metric to use... ”

not quite, if it’s the ONLY metric they use then it would be wrong. But any organisation that doesn’t manage costs is doomed to failure.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro

Waz - 26 Mar 2019 12:06 PM
“They are focused on managing costs. Wrong metric to use... ”not quite, if it’s the ONLY metric they use then it would be wrong. But any organisation that doesn’t manage costs is doomed to failure.

What are the salaries of the FFA board members?
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

socceroo_06 - 26 Mar 2019 12:08 PM

What are the salaries of the FFA board members?

I'm pretty sure they are unpaid. It's other areas of staff where the FFA spend too much.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“What are the salaries of the FFA board members? ”

I think they are unpaid too. But that’s a good example of why you should manage costs AND changes in costs
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

No matter paid unpaid be it board members but that useless over paid CEO for one is culpable for one praying Socceroos as the primary cash cow in the future. (I'd love to be proven wrong but......)
He and those around him know having struggled the longest route to quali the WC in the first place was enough alarm bells, to then put on a fighting soso performance( god bless them) with a band aid last minute coach the writing was on the wall long ago regards players quality for the future.
To work in hope to qualify next WC you have got to be living on a whim and a prayer let alone our poor Joeys in tournaments now and future.
I feel for our young hopefuls who will work their arse's off with a system and funding that is not good enough full stop.
Now more than ever our really promising young players need to get out of here in the massive EU or elsewhere mosh pit it is today for your not going to get enough hanging around this place.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

i hope we win tonight just so i can finally read some positive comments 
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Mar 2019 2:43 PM

I hope that we win tonight and continue to have a robust discussion on why the development of footballers stalls at the age of 16. The obvious answer is of course that they have nowhere to go and not a single club in Australia has any financial incentive to invest in youth development. The entire system that has been put in place with new football has been designed to create a monopoly over the sources of revenue that the game is able to accumulate in favour of the national body, the FFA. This has allowed wages at the home office to skyrocket without any reference to developmental or sporting KPIs. We, the sporting public, and journalists exacerbated this problem by allowing the allure of World Cup qualification to divert attention away from the massive chasm of inequity that was opening up underneath the feet of the grassroots of the game. Grassroots football is what develops players and they have been starved. My recommendation to anyone with a decent level of talent is to get the hell out of Australia and overseas to one of the countries that actually take youth development seriously.

When Australia finally decides to move to a meritocratic value system around the football pyramid and opens up the game to financial investment throughout the levels then we will start to see the reemergence of the developmental systems that created our previous generations of world-class footballers.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Mate I'll level with you and agree many posts are not bright but thats the big picture.
I'm sure most if not all here so wish for a positive outlook but its not there.
I watched the downfall of the NSL, yep nothing is perfect for look where we are right now, I actually think in a worse position.
GA's post is a cracker !

Love Football

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

socceroo_06 - 26 Mar 2019 8:12 AM
Decentric - 25 Mar 2019 10:48 PM

I'm confused though...should I be suspicious of the functioning and operations of the FFA or are they just inept? 

I can't put my finger on it. 

There are two sections of the FFA in terms of football development.

1. The FFA Technical Department - who have little control over financial resources. 

2. The FFA bean counters - who end up being  decision-makers. They stifle 1.

Most of 1 hate 2.

1 wants to build football in Oz, with more teams, promo /releg, etcetera. They also want more games for  national youth teams.

2 has stifled the growth of football in Oz.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

General Ashnak - 26 Mar 2019 3:00 PM

I hope that we win tonight and continue to have a robust discussion on why the development of footballers stalls at the age of 16. The obvious answer is of course that they have nowhere to go and not a single club in Australia has any financial incentive to invest in youth development. The entire system that has been put in place with new football has been designed to create a monopoly over the sources of revenue that the game is able to accumulate in favour of the national body, the FFA. This has allowed wages at the home office to skyrocket without any reference to developmental or sporting KPIs. We, the sporting public, and journalists exacerbated this problem by allowing the allure of World Cup qualification to divert attention away from the massive chasm of inequity that was opening up underneath the feet of the grassroots of the game. Grassroots football is what develops players and they have been starved. My recommendation to anyone with a decent level of talent is to get the hell out of Australia and overseas to one of the countries that actually take youth development seriously.

When Australia finally decides to move to a meritocratic value system around the football pyramid and opens up the game to financial investment throughout the levels then we will start to see the reemergence of the developmental systems that created our previous generations of world-class footballers.

Good post, GA.

Good to see you back, mate!

We could  do with a few more positive posters returning or joining 442.

One thing the is the case, is that those who manage to get into a pro development system travel reasonably well in Oz. It is those who are probably good enough, but miss the cut that is the problem.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro

Decentric - 26 Mar 2019 3:34 PM
socceroo_06 - 26 Mar 2019 8:12 AM

There are two sections of the FFA in terms of football development.

1. The FFA Technical Department - who have little control over financial resources. 

2. The FFA bean counters - who end up being  decision-makers. They stifle 1.

Most of 1 hate 2.

1 wants to build football in Oz, with more teams, promo /releg, etcetera. They also want more games for  national youth teams.

2 has stifled the growth of football in Oz.

I'm still trying to understand the justification behind option 2. 

What do the bean counters gain from continuing to stifle growth? 

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

socceroo_06 - 26 Mar 2019 3:42 PM
Decentric - 26 Mar 2019 3:34 PM

I'm still trying to understand the justification behind option 2. 

What do the bean counters gain from continuing to stifle growth? 

They get to use the money that the game receives from private and governmental sources to line their own pockets either directly through income or indirectly through their quid quo pro connections.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

Decentric - 26 Mar 2019 3:39 PM
General Ashnak - 26 Mar 2019 3:00 PM

Good post, GA.

Good to see you back, mate!

We could  do with a few more positive posters returning or joining 442.

One thing the is the case, is that those who manage to get into a pro development system travel reasonably well in Oz. It is those who are probably good enough, but miss the cut that is the problem.

There is a significant issue that sits around access to elite training, and it is entirely centred around the cost of the game. There are those who have sufficient talent and financial and social advantage that they are able to access the elite pathways, for those who have the talent there is only the hope that you get found by an overseas academy who will provide the financial support to enable your development.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

“They are focused on managing costs. Wrong metric to use... ”not quite, if it’s the ONLY metric they use then it would be wrong. But any organisation that doesn’t manage costs is doomed to failure.

Fair enough. Agree that costs need to be managed and agree that the FFA seem to be focused on doing the least possible since anything more would cost money/effort.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search