R23: Roar vs Sydney FC

R23: Roar vs Sydney FC

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
“They are trying to spark interest in the Brisbane market because of lack of interest”

Only they’ve done the same maroon “state v state” thing for the last 4 seasons, it’s not just this season.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Waz - 28 Mar 2019 3:01 PM
“They are trying to spark interest in the Brisbane market because of lack of interest”Only they’ve done the same maroon “state v state” thing for the last 4 seasons, it’s not just this season.

And how did it go?

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

A change of interest, talking points etc may not be a super trump card but is a piece that can contribute to breaking up the boredom.

You know, the thing that most here bitch about.

In a resort somewhere

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

The number of people shitting all over the Roar for trying market a game of football in a way that appeals to the local market, would appear to be equal to the number of people that continually shit on HAL clubs for not marketing a game.

Also known as the 442 Forum Phenomenon
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

How did it go?

Every year C10 News run a story on State v State and ignore other games. Courier Mail normally do a piece. The Maroon shirt is a fantastic seller (on real SOO days you see plenty of Maroon Roar shirts knocking about the city).

So how did it go?

Pretty well in many respects. It’s just marketing - you don’t have to get your knickers in a twist over it lol.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@aok

😂😂😂😂😂😂

(it’s almost like they think the rest of us don’t notice 😁)
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

aok - 28 Mar 2019 3:07 PM
The number of people shitting all over the Roar for trying market a game of football in a way that appeals to the local market, would appear to be equal to the number of people that continually shit on HAL clubs for not marketing a game.

Also known as the 442 Forum Phenomenon

Did you say the same thing about star wars round or Usain Bolt?

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

mouflonrouge - 28 Mar 2019 2:52 PM
Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 2:49 PM

Sydney has something to play for, but Brisbane doesn't.

They are trying to spark interest in the Brisbane market because of lack of interest.

Now if Brisbane was under a relegation cloud, then that is different. Too often shit teams know they can be as shit as they like without punitive ramifications.

Lack of interest? Roar have the 3rd highest attendance average despite sitting in 9th on the ladder for most of the season. This also despite all of the off-season rubbish that has occurred in recent years.

Just because the club is trying to market a game and do something a little different doesn't mean there is a lack of interest. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 2:49 PM

Sydney has something to play for, but Brisbane doesn't.

They are trying to spark interest in the Brisbane market because of lack of interest.

Now if Brisbane was under a relegation cloud, then that is different. Too often shit teams know they can be as shit as they like without punitive ramifications.

Yeah, there’s just no kulcha to fight for pride.

In a resort somewhere

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 28 Mar 2019 4:46 PM

Nope.  Whilst not all promotions work, clubs should be applauded for making an effort. This particular promotion is aimed primarily at the Qld market place and by all measures it is successful.  What supporters of other clubs think is irrelevant.
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Eldar - 26 Mar 2019 4:58 PM
Yeah maybe, lets hope so. I think one day it will live up to a real rivalry though.

I disagree . I feel with every new team (from Sydney/NSW) added to the league, the less likely Sydney fans will feel a need of a rivalry against Brisbane, as they will have plenty of real local derbies.

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Wait, what?? A "Star Wars" round?? When and what is a "Star Wars" round??

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

BrisbaneBhoy - 29 Mar 2019 12:24 PM
Eldar - 26 Mar 2019 4:58 PM

I disagree . I feel with every new team (from Sydney/NSW) added to the league, the less likely Sydney fans will feel a need of a rivalry against Brisbane, as they will have plenty of real local derbies.

Well the 9 odd sydney nrl team supporters the last decades will disagree and myself tbh........
I love the rivarly NSW QLD have in any sport incl AL.
A win is a win and I have to say love beating Roar and MV for obvious east coast city rivalry, adelaide PG com si com sa for eg.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Waz - 28 Mar 2019 2:09 PM
Unavailable for Roar:22. Tobias MIKKELSEN (groin), 2. Dane INGHAM (foot), 3. Luke DEVERE (knee), 4. Daniel BOWLES (knee), 10. Brett HOLMAN, 13. Stefan MAUK (groin), 19. Jack HINGERT (knee), 24. Connor O’Toole (broken leg)Add Avraam and DeVere to that list and 10 first teamers are out. Common sense says it’s a Sydney walkover.

Common sense playing against a team of young up and comers with nothing to lose is "beware", alarm bells imo.
SFC have struggled putting 2 in the net - last time they put more in was way back 4/1st against a 10man CCM.

Love Football

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

BrisbaneBhoy - 29 Mar 2019 12:26 PM

Had it last season in relation to the release of the new movie.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

aok - 29 Mar 2019 11:06 AM
 What supporters of other clubs think is irrelevant.

Well not exactly irrelevant given Roar fans are having a go at Sydney fc for not playing along and dragging Joey Johns out for some PR bullshit about "state pride" or whatever.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Waz
Waz
Legend

@sydneyfc

I’ve no problem with what SFC supporters think, there will be a variety of opinions on this topic. The only thing to say is (to those people who criticise the lack of marketing) that when a club try’s to market a game and you criticise that marketing, it’s double standards - don’t do marketing and get slammed, do marketing and get slammed. You can’t have it both ways and no one is a marketing god and knows what’s right.

The issue I have is with SFC the football club, Annie and your former CEO in particular. When another club tries marketing to then undermine their marketing effort is disgusting and reveals a selfish, rotten core at the heart of SFC.

If SFC the club don’t want to play along. Fine, don’t play along. No problem. But to actively undermine it in public and to the press shows what deep seated little shits work at that club.
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro

paulbagzFC - 29 Mar 2019 12:59 PM

Had it last season in relation to the release of the new movie.

-PB

So that's the "when"... What is the "what"??
Something like a pre-match/half-time entertainment laser show with Star Wars music (or something like)?? Or, Club mascots dressed as Star Wars characters throughout the game??

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

BrisbaneBhoy - 29 Mar 2019 3:05 PM
paulbagzFC - 29 Mar 2019 12:59 PM

So that's the "when"... What is the "what"??
Something like a pre-match/half-time entertainment laser show with Star Wars music (or something like)?? Or, Club mascots dressed as Star Wars characters throughout the game??

Yeah basically all of that.

There was storm troopers and Vader on the sideline.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Waz - 28 Mar 2019 3:01 PM
“They are trying to spark interest in the Brisbane market because of lack of interest”Only they’ve done the same maroon “state v state” thing for the last 4 seasons, it’s not just this season.

As a born and bred NSW supporter, and a supporter of the Roar since day 1 (I was ecstatic when they changed from Queensland to Brisbane) I find the Maroon thing unappealing - but I know I am in a very small minority up here.

Waz
Waz
Legend

@ clockwork

I love the maroon kit, I could (almost but not quite) change from orange n black.

I dont like League legends being rolled out and I don’t like the State v State thing either but hey, it’s just marketing and the local media including ABC and C10 are loving it ...

Complaining about it all is just such a first world problem to me but it’s not about you/me/others .. we can all have differing opinions and it won’t matter really.

SFC matter though, this is the club that dismisses State/State but complained publicly that Victory wouldn’t give them a guard of honour last season after they’d won the Plate. Such a Garbage club.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Waz
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Waz - 29 Mar 2019 3:32 PM
@ clockwork

I love the maroon kit, I could (almost but not quite) change from orange n black.

I dont like League legends being rolled out and I don’t like the State v State thing either but hey, it’s just marketing and the local media including ABC and C10 are loving it ...

Complaining about it all is just such a first world problem to me but it’s not about you/me/others .. we can all have differing opinions and it won’t matter really.

SFC matter though, this is the club that dismisses State/State but complained publicly that Victory wouldn’t give them a guard of honour last season after they’d won the Plate. Such a Garbage club.

No one likes us, we don't care !
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 29 Mar 2019 5:22 PM
Waz - 29 Mar 2019 3:32 PM

No one likes us, we don't care !

LOL correct, were the tall poppy, agree feck em re that :) in any sport.
I'm into rivalry state vs state but the type of marketing that has been done, I suppose the target is the kids so whatever it doesn't effect me even though a bit cringeworthy........
The playing stripes imo should be as what the club play in week in week out again my opinion, I do like the orange stripe, its a real point of difference and Roars trademark identity, doing the maroon thing is too nrl but I get why their marketing people do it.
It does mean alot to the strong nrl State - if it ticks their boxs good luck to them but they can keep creating the NSW/Qld rivalry just as good in the normal playing stripes to me..........

Love Football

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

We never win in Hanson land.  
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2z3h69UwAI5amC.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2z2QtRVYAA9qa3.jpg

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

How are Brisbane lining up?

433 with Leck at RB, Nigro at LB and DWH on the wing?

Or 442 with Lopez or McKay out wide?

Or 532 with Kristensen or McKay at CB and Bautheac plays at CM?

Or something completely different.
lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

Probably 442. McKay lb, Nigro RB, kristensen and Lopez central, Leck and Eric wings, DWH and babaij Stricker pairing.

On the maroon kit, don't like this one as the maroon is to purple. Last year is better with a much more Roma slant to it. Also maroon has been Brisbane default colours, Broncos, lions and the Reds are Maroon.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

paulc - 29 Mar 2019 9:28 AM

Yeah, there’s just no kulcha to fight for pride.

There is no kulcha and nothing to fight for.

They don't give a stuff about pride in the boardroom. They only care about the bottom line.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

The force is obviously weak with you today Obi One Kenobe...

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Let me know how much Roar lose by. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search