How City's rising star Metcalfe slipped through Jets' net [Comments]

How City's rising star Metcalfe slipped through Jets' net [Comments]

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan
Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)

Watched this kid play months ago in a friendly with the Young Socceroos up in Sydney. Was very impressed then. Definitely has a big future.  
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)

JuanPablo - 1 May 2019 6:13 PM
Watched this kid play months ago in a friendly with the Young Socceroos up in Sydney. Was very impressed then. Definitely has a big future.  

The game he played in, round 27, he was excellent. Ned Zelic said he was composed and very impressive. I agree, the kid has excellent technique great balance and can use both feet really well. The shame is that city have not played him anywhere near enough. Another team should grab him as he would be a cheap option with real class and potential. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I think he has the makings to be an excellent player, technically very good but also he's grown physically since he was a young teen.

Not too sure what is he's best position in midfield, but he's a hybrid type you would see in the modern game where they can box to box but also be a playmaker from deep.

Like many of Melb City's youngster he can easily play as a regular in another a-league club, a shame he's had limited chances to shine.

Maybe he would be useful for the Mariners next season?
JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan
Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)

Barca4Life - 1 May 2019 7:27 PM
I think he has the makings to be an excellent player, technically very good but also he's grown physically since he was a young teen.

Not too sure what is he's best position in midfield, but he's a hybrid type you would see in the modern game where they can box to box but also be a playmaker from deep.

Like many of Melb City's youngster he can easily play as a regular in another a-league club, a shame he's had limited chances to shine.

Maybe he would be useful for the Mariners next season?

Agree Barca. Mariners would be a great club for him to get some game time and prove himself. He's certainly grown in size and proven he can match it at A League level. One of the commentators said that Perth were after him, so I can't imagine City will be letting him go.

I wonder why the CFG don't loan their youth out to other clubs within their group (Marinos, Man City, NYC,Atletico, Girona etc) rather than waiting until all their contracts expire and then they walk out the door. They've let some quality youth walk out the door recently (Pieras and I read somewhere Delanov was leaving too). Joyce took in Harrison from Tottenham so that he could gain valuable experience against men. Seems odd they cant or wont loan out their youth to gain experience too.
Edited
5 Years Ago by JuanPablo
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Provided he gets regular cameos similar to what Rami has been getting this season he's better off to stay here. Standing out playing for us with better players around him is a far better than going to CCM and getting beat every week. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

n i k o - 2 May 2019 11:23 AM
Provided he gets regular cameos similar to what Rami has been getting this season he's better off to stay here. Standing out playing for us with better players around him is a far better than going to CCM and getting beat every week. 

Playing 5 to 10 games per season is hardly development.

They are better off playing regularly each week and getting experience rather than going to the beach on the weekend.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

JuanPablo - 2 May 2019 10:26 AM

Agree Barca. Mariners would be a great club for him to get some game time and prove himself. He's certainly grown in size and proven he can match it at A League level. One of the commentators said that Perth were after him, so I can't imagine City will be letting him go.

I wonder why the CFG don't loan their youth out to other clubs within their group (Marinos, Man City, NYC,Atletico, Girona etc) rather than waiting until all their contracts expire and then they walk out the door. They've let some quality youth walk out the door recently (Pieras and I read somewhere Delanov was leaving too). Joyce took in Harrison from Tottenham so that he could gain valuable experience against men. Seems odd they cant or wont loan out their youth to gain experience too.

Najjarine, Metcalfe, Pieras were better off going on loan and getting experience playing week in week out to another club, rather than play a 8 game NYL season and playing a lower standard NPL.

But that's the problem with so few professional clubs in Australia, there is plenty of talent good enough to play in the a-league i see it all the time in the NPL and NYL teams.
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Completely disagree there Barca. For one he's training as a full time pro. Secondly he's on the bench and starting to get more time. Thirdly development isn't when your team is getting smashed and you're  out in the pitch unable to make any impact yourself because the team around you is playing so badly that you can't even show your quality. Unless you're an absolute stand out like a Harry kewell etc. you will struggle to show much at a team like CCM. In the end at best you will be bought by a team like City and you're back to square one, waiting for game time to prove yourself. 
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)

I have to agree with Juan on this issue. CFG have the club resources, money, and time to loan these high quality youth to their growing list of clubs to build their skills, game time and value. It seems rediculous to me that they brought in Harrison, a young player outside the CFG network, when i am sure they could have found someone of at least equal ability within the group. This also closes off local OZ development. I completely disagree with OS youth products playing in the A league- BTW including Sam Graham and the other kid at CCM. I know for a fact that the CCM approach caused outrage amongst the u20's and academy at CCM. So too Harrisons involvement keeping potentially Wales opportunities lower. then there is Najjar who could have have had 1 or two more Games as a striker prior to injury. As far as Metcalfe is concerned this is a real opportunity for CFG to show how astute they are and that the CFG network is actually a real thing, by sending this talented player out on loan. At a minimum he could go to a lower A league club, but they should be looking to place him somewhere OS. I think he is better than Genreau and would show this if given more game time, and really grow in an OS environment. Its actually pretty amazing to see the physical changes and development of this kid. I have seen him play with NYL and NPL2 and he was literally 5 foot or less - that was only 18 months ago. imagine what 12 months OS could do. CFG are crazy leaving him to rot-along with others - as sometime bench players and in NPL2. I wonder if an injury replacement option in an NPL1 for 10 games or so in the off season is an option. Would be better than NPL2 and would certainly toughen him up. 
n i k o - 2 May 2019 1:34 PM
Completely disagree there Barca. For one he's training as a full time pro. Secondly he's on the bench and starting to get more time. Thirdly development isn't when your team is getting smashed and you're  out in the pitch unable to make any impact yourself because the team around you is playing so badly that you can't even show your quality. Unless you're an absolute stand out like a Harry kewell etc. you will struggle to show much at a team like CCM. In the end at best you will be bought by a team like City and you're back to square one, waiting for game time to prove yourself. 

Training and game time are no where near the same thing. Joyce only put the youth on after it was 4 - 0. that says a lot about the opportunity and belief Joyce has. At his age he needs to play as many games as possible. the more varied the circumstances, including shit team mates, the more development opportunity to rise and show quality. his city stats say 75 minutes of game time - over a season this is not development. Is this kid on a contract? someone should be swooping for him cause CFG are wasting his precious time. 
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro

Ok for clarity I was talking specifically about CCM. If he can get more game time with a team that has players around him that can support him and they can be reasonably strong in this league then it can be a prosperous move. But I stand by that game time at CCM and getting done nearly every week with no players around him to assist his game to develop is pointless. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by n i k o
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

fanoffootball - 2 May 2019 5:07 PM

I have to agree with Juan on this issue. CFG have the club resources, money, and time to loan these high quality youth to their growing list of clubs to build their skills, game time and value. It seems rediculous to me that they brought in Harrison, a young player outside the CFG network, when i am sure they could have found someone of at least equal ability within the group. This also closes off local OZ development. I completely disagree with OS youth products playing in the A league- BTW including Sam Graham and the other kid at CCM. I know for a fact that the CCM approach caused outrage amongst the u20's and academy at CCM. So too Harrisons involvement keeping potentially Wales opportunities lower. then there is Najjar who could have have had 1 or two more Games as a striker prior to injury. As far as Metcalfe is concerned this is a real opportunity for CFG to show how astute they are and that the CFG network is actually a real thing, by sending this talented player out on loan. At a minimum he could go to a lower A league club, but they should be looking to place him somewhere OS. I think he is better than Genreau and would show this if given more game time, and really grow in an OS environment. Its actually pretty amazing to see the physical changes and development of this kid. I have seen him play with NYL and NPL2 and he was literally 5 foot or less - that was only 18 months ago. imagine what 12 months OS could do. CFG are crazy leaving him to rot-along with others - as sometime bench players and in NPL2. I wonder if an injury replacement option in an NPL1 for 10 games or so in the off season is an option. Would be better than NPL2 and would certainly toughen him up. 

Training and game time are no where near the same thing. Joyce only put the youth on after it was 4 - 0. that says a lot about the opportunity and belief Joyce has. At his age he needs to play as many games as possible. the more varied the circumstances, including shit team mates, the more development opportunity to rise and show quality. his city stats say 75 minutes of game time - over a season this is not development. Is this kid on a contract? someone should be swooping for him cause CFG are wasting his precious time. 

Agree with everything you have stated. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Sitting on the bench won't help regardless on who you train with either though that's the point.

Our players in australia don't play enough games as it is in the a-league let alone in youth level compared to players around the world especially in Europe where they playing many games as possible alot more than us from 16 to 23.

Too often any talented player that is in an a-league squad instead of playing at a decent level at a-league or 2nd tier level on a regular basis they either don't play or play at a poor level that isn't strong enough, often than not they don't develop as they like to be and when they go to play for Australia's junior teams at AFC qualifiers they look underdone to the opponents and then we wonder why we can't qualify for world cups through Asia anyone.

Like Caletti the talent is here to play at this level and beyond, but the best young players don't play enough games at a decent level its that simple.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Barca4Life
JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Metcalfe was superb last week. Strong on the ball, great positional awareness and good vision. 

One to keep an eye on. 
PricklePear
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Annnnnddd he's been omitted from the City squad for the Elimination Final
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

It's ok. Rostyn Griffiths is IN!! 🙌
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan

Ds98 - 3 May 2019 10:27 AM
It's ok. Rostyn Griffiths is IN!! 🙌

I thought he had an isue with a hamstring injury? doubt he will play. 
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

fanoffootball - 3 May 2019 12:55 PM
Ds98 - 3 May 2019 10:27 AM

I thought he had an isue with a hamstring injury? doubt he will play. 

Clearly, light-hearted japes on here are not well met.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Ds98 - 3 May 2019 3:11 PM
fanoffootball - 3 May 2019 12:55 PM

Clearly, light-hearted japes on here are not well met.

Jape away, I had a little chuckle.
JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan

I get what your saying Niko but I honestly believe at 20 years of age the kid needs to be playing, whether hes surrounded by quality or duds. He's not going to develop sitting on the pine. This is where a lower league is desperately needed for this age group. Look at all the boys cut from Wanderers recently. Where do they all go now? Most will try other A League clubs, some might try their luck overseas. This is the age group we need to be developing for Socceroos. No wonder we suck on an international level.
How does a player such as Metcalfe break through like Caletti and Dagastino did, in a wealthy A League team and without the love of the coach?
I watched an NYL game a few years ago City v Brisbane and Metcalfe (who at the time was probably smaller than Caletti) outplayed both Caletti and Dagastino, yet after that match, Metcalfe disappeared into nowhere land and Caletti and Dagastino excelled in Brisbane's A League team. Why? Because they were both in an A League team that didnt have as much wealth as City plus Aloisi believed in them and gave them a chance. Not going to happen for Metcalfe at City unfortunately. He needs to get out into a lower quality club so he can develop.
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan

JuanPablo - 4 May 2019 10:06 AM

I get what your saying Niko but I honestly believe at 20 years of age the kid needs to be playing, whether hes surrounded by quality or duds. He's not going to develop sitting on the pine. This is where a lower league is desperately needed for this age group. Look at all the boys cut from Wanderers recently. Where do they all go now? Most will try other A League clubs, some might try their luck overseas. This is the age group we need to be developing for Socceroos. No wonder we suck on an international level.
How does a player such as Metcalfe break through like Caletti and Dagastino did, in a wealthy A League team and without the love of the coach?
I watched an NYL game a few years ago City v Brisbane and Metcalfe (who at the time was probably smaller than Caletti) outplayed both Caletti and Dagastino, yet after that match, Metcalfe disappeared into nowhere land and Caletti and Dagastino excelled in Brisbane's A League team. Why? Because they were both in an A League team that didnt have as much wealth as City plus Aloisi believed in them and gave them a chance. Not going to happen for Metcalfe at City unfortunately. He needs to get out into a lower quality club so he can develop.

This is a must. City obviously have Metcalfe on a contract or are promising him one. he would have left before now otherwise. But hey lets see Griffith's and co get another year or three. Its crazy
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

It's a shame to see these guys get released given how they young they are, just shows we have the talent here it's just the pathway at the top is very shallow and we wonder why the Socceroos struggle for depth and quality.
JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan

fanoffootball - 4 May 2019 11:42 AM

This is a must. City obviously have Metcalfe on a contract or are promising him one. he would have left before now otherwise. But hey lets see Griffith's and co get another year or three. Its crazy

The thing that annoys me most is City brought in Shayon Harrison from Tottenham, so the poor wee laddy could get more experience against men!!! Absolute madness. Why are we developing British youth???????????????? How do our Aussie youth have a chance when this goes on?
JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan

Barca4Life - 4 May 2019 11:50 AM

It's a shame to see these guys get released given how they young they are, just shows we have the talent here it's just the pathway at the top is very shallow and we wonder why the Socceroos struggle for depth and quality.

Absolutely!
Ds98
Ds98
Pro

Watched Melbourne City today against Northcote. They got thumped 6-2.

Metcalfe didn't play, nor did Dylan Pierias, which was slightly disappointing.

I think Metcalfe was exactly what they lacked today.  The whole team was poor in all honesty, but he has a bit of composure about him which they visibly needed against one of the top teams in NPL2.

special mention to Giovanni Stellitano for scoring his first senior goal for City. 
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan

Ds98 - 4 May 2019 6:25 PM

I think Metcalfe was exactly what they lacked today.  The whole team was poor in all honesty, but he has a bit of composure about him which they visibly needed against one of the top teams in NPL2.

special mention to Giovanni Stellitano for scoring his first senior goal for City. 

Maybe travelled to Adelaide? Agree though, he has a calm prescence  on the pitch which shows maturity beyond his years. 
sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Was going to say what is the point of hyping up a good young player?

We all know the coach isn't going to play him.

Everything that is wrong with the league right now stems from short sighted clubs and ignoring the youth is a large part of that.

JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan

Ouch! 6-2. Thats a thumping. I read that their coach left, maybe the squad needs time to re-adjust to a new coach? And, yes, why not throw Metcalfe into the youth team if he's not going to play with the first team? Maybe he is injured?

I thought Pieras left for West United?

Ds98
Ds98
Pro

JuanPablo - 5 May 2019 11:32 AM

Ouch! 6-2. Thats a thumping. I read that their coach left, maybe the squad needs time to re-adjust to a new coach? And, yes, why not throw Metcalfe into the youth team if he's not going to play with the first team? Maybe he is injured?

I thought Pieras left for West United?

I’m so confused when it come to Melb City and their NPL team sometimes. 

Cavallo played yesterday so 🤷🏻‍♂️ Unsure of Pierias

Who knows what’s happening there.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

After last week's impressive display out goes Metcalfe and Najjarine...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search