Australia V Sri Lanka WC

Australia V Sri Lanka WC

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
wonder why starc isn't ahead of cummins in this form of the game

Cummins is more defensive
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

pretty brilliant innings from maxwell

wish we had mitch marsh

333 against sri lanka. We scored a lot more last world cup against a better sri lanka. We also had a better bowling attack to defend it

still we should win this game if we bowl and field well
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

97 off the last 10 which is ok. You'd like another dozen or so with so many wickets in the shed. Probably all dozen of those runs should have come from Marsh (if mitch Marsh comes in we are a lot more balanced)

If warner gets back to his best and our 2nd string bowlers get back in form we have a good chance
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

not a great over to start but some brilliant batting

where was this from warner
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

ugh need to start with the dorff not cummins

cummins is just as lethal in the middle overs and its a completely different team if 10 of the middle overs are from him
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

gee 24 from the first 2

pitch looks very very easy

no explanation for warners performance really
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

good stuff bringing on the dorff
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

wish we saved all 10 cummins for the middle overs

I think he's the one bowler in the world that is better with the old ball and 10 cummins overs in the middle is worth everything

start and finish with starc and the dorff

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

ugh why so short
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

this start and how easy its looked should really be a rocket up warner
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

the wicket is so easy

what the heck was warner and khawaja doing?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

you really should have starc and the dorf bowl the first 10 imo
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

the wasted review comes back to haunt us as the umpire makes a howler
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

would love to sub a pace bowler for zampa on this pitch

he has 1 bad performance on a pitch with no spin against the best players of spin in the world and he's off

its like we are back to the days of pre finch captaincy
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

lessons from this game

1. Warner needs to get his agression back. If he plays like this against England its game over practically before we start
2. Zampa should play at the oval. He will leak runs, so will everyone. But he will take Brittish wickets
3. Cummins should play the old ball. I can't think of any bowler in the world better between overs 10 and 40. Dorf can take early wickets if he gets a chance and he's ok at the death
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Warner's aggression needs improvement and we could still do a lot better with the ball outside Starc Cummins. I think Zampa threatens a lot more if you open with the Dorf/Starc and bowl Zampa in tandem with cummins in the middle overs.

Look how much Zampa benefits from an economical bowler at the other end

Zampas average/economy after an economical bowler (cummins/lyon) 20.1/5.1
Average/economy after everyone else 46/6.3

Edited
5 Years Ago by grazorblade
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Thank goodness we won!

In Australia, most of us are in bed of the second innings of these World Cup One Day games.

Lots of good up to dates, Grazor.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

grazorblade - 16 Jun 2019 3:15 AM
Warner's aggression needs improvement and we could still do a lot better with the ball outside Starc Cummins. I think Zampa threatens a lot more if you open with the Dorf/Starc and bowl Zampa in tandem with cummins in the middle overs.

Look how much Zampa benefits from an economical bowler at the other end

Zampas average/economy after an economical bowler (cummins/lyon) 20.1/5.1
Average/economy after everyone else 46/6.3

Interesting comments.

i think your point that Cummins is still potent whether he bowls with an older or newer ball is a good one. Hence, opening with someone else.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

@Decentric:

Incidentally Here is Cummins average and economy since the start of the india tour in each power play
18.3 at 4.1 an over in the first power play
22.7 at 4.4 an over in the 2nd (few are better)
10 at 5 an over at the death

The figures in the first 10 are very good, no doubt. But we can get other bowlers who have similar impact at that part of the game. The middle and late overs he's unmatched
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Decentric - 16 Jun 2019 11:36 AM
grazorblade - 16 Jun 2019 3:15 AM

Interesting comments.

i think your point that Cummins is still potent whether he bowls with an older or newer ball is a good one. Hence, opening with someone else.

Gday Dc,
jaszyjim - I tape the matches and watch it next morning - hence my late reviews
as I want to comment on the whole match.
Have read all the post to date so here's mine & as usual a slightly different take.

Positives;
We won
Finch got 150 with feet moving well - a good innings.
Great partnership between Finch & Smith, set up the game.
Cummins & Starc bowled well.

Negatives;
Warner, Khawaja & Marsh.
Maxwell running out 2.
(before you all cry me down, he was the one with a view of ball & fielder
did not call quick enough - exactly same scenario with SL batting,
a very quick call of no, saved he run out).
Note despite scoring 40 odd & bowling good economy, Maxwell not in my positive list.

Team selection;
All I can think off, is that the selectors assumed we would win regardless and put in players
to compare them against one another. No Lyons again - who has he upset?

Before we get too excited about our performance, lets look at other details.
The pitch was perfectly suited for scoring off medium pace.
SL pace attack was not pace, it was medium pace - low to mid 130ks.
The same speed as Dorf & Richo - Cummins & Starc = 10ks quicker.
More damming that Warner did not score against them & it gave Finch time 
to move his feet, which = confidence & let him open up later, despite
the lack of speed in the attack, a real good innings by Finch.
Why are Khawaja & S. Marsh in the side, I agree that if you want to retain Khawaja move
him to open, Smith still at 3 & Warner  @ 4.
S. Marsh needs dropping, never to play in this tournament again.
Maxwell - came in under no pressure, scored early & did not really go on with it against
an only medium pace. Watch his feet, he is really just a slogger that relies on hand eye
coordination with little foot movement. The problem with players like this, is as they age
the hand eye coordination lessens and they will fail against fast pace & good spin.
He should have scored more & in reality failed the last overs.
Bowling wise had good economy, no wickets & showed why we should have a least one spinner in the team.
Dorf & Richo took wickets but unimpressive.
As mentioned in the posts, Dorf is a new ball bowler, so why wasn't he bowled openning - didn't
Finch trust him with the new ball?
Carey & Cummins batting can't comment on as they had the unfortune to bat with Maxwell.

Upcoming match against Bangladesh will be interesting, only to see what the selectors do,
ie should be the team that will face England.
My team for this match & against England. 

Finch, Khawaja, Smith, Warner, M. Marsh, Maxwell, Carey,
Stoinis, Cummins, Starc & Lyon.
If Stoinis not fit, replaced by Richardson batting @ 10.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Maxwell definitely a positive for mine

That side is aggressive! It would allow us to bat very deep and give the top order confidence to go hard. I guess you could argue we don't lose too much since our 4th bowler hasn't been great anyway

jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

grazorblade - 16 Jun 2019 1:27 PM
Maxwell definitely a positive for mine

That side is aggressive! It would allow us to bat very deep and give the top order confidence to go hard. I guess you could argue we don't lose too much since our 4th bowler hasn't been great anyway

Gday gb,
jaszyjim - Bowling wise it is not too bad.
Obviously Cummins, Starc & Lyon as the 3 mains  for 30 overs & despite my criticism of Maxwell,
he has been bowling with good economy.
So for the other 20 overs you have a mix of Maxwell, M. Marsh & Stoinis or Patterson.
Having 2 slow bowlers give Finch the ability to mix things up a bit more.
I believe this is the best mix of the players we have over there, to get 10 wickets
& the opposition from scoring too many.
Like you mentioned also a very good line up with a blend of aggression & accumulators.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 16 Jun 2019 12:57 PM
@Decentric:

Incidentally Here is Cummins average and economy since the start of the india tour in each power play
18.3 at 4.1 an over in the first power play
22.7 at 4.4 an over in the 2nd (few are better)
10 at 5 an over at the death

The figures in the first 10 are very good, no doubt. But we can get other bowlers who have similar impact at that part of the game. The middle and late overs he's unmatched

With those figures, well said. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

jaszyjim - 16 Jun 2019 1:07 PM
Decentric - 16 Jun 2019 11:36 AM

Gday Dc,
jaszyjim - I tape the matches and watch it next morning - hence my late reviews
as I want to comment on the whole match.
Have read all the post to date so here's mine & as usual a slightly different take.

Positives;
We won
Finch got 150 with feet moving well - a good innings.
Great partnership between Finch & Smith, set up the game.
Cummins & Starc bowled well.

Negatives;
Warner, Khawaja & Marsh.
Maxwell running out 2.
(before you all cry me down, he was the one with a view of ball & fielder
did not call quick enough - exactly same scenario with SL batting,
a very quick call of no, saved he run out).
Note despite scoring 40 odd & bowling good economy, Maxwell not in my positive list.

Team selection;
All I can think off, is that the selectors assumed we would win regardless and put in players
to compare them against one another. No Lyons again - who has he upset?

Before we get too excited about our performance, lets look at other details.
The pitch was perfectly suited for scoring off medium pace.
SL pace attack was not pace, it was medium pace - low to mid 130ks.
The same speed as Dorf & Richo - Cummins & Starc = 10ks quicker.
More damming that Warner did not score against them & it gave Finch time 
to move his feet, which = confidence & let him open up later, despite
the lack of speed in the attack, a real good innings by Finch.
Why are Khawaja & S. Marsh in the side, I agree that if you want to retain Khawaja move
him to open, Smith still at 3 & Warner  @ 4.
S. Marsh needs dropping, never to play in this tournament again.
Maxwell - came in under no pressure, scored early & did not really go on with it against
an only medium pace. Watch his feet, he is really just a slogger that relies on hand eye
coordination with little foot movement. The problem with players like this, is as they age
the hand eye coordination lessens and they will fail against fast pace & good spin.
He should have scored more & in reality failed the last overs.
Bowling wise had good economy, no wickets & showed why we should have a least one spinner in the team.
Dorf & Richo took wickets but unimpressive.
As mentioned in the posts, Dorf is a new ball bowler, so why wasn't he bowled openning - didn't
Finch trust him with the new ball?
Carey & Cummins batting can't comment on as they had the unfortune to bat with Maxwell.

Upcoming match against Bangladesh will be interesting, only to see what the selectors do,
ie should be the team that will face England.
My team for this match & against England. 

Finch, Khawaja, Smith, Warner, M. Marsh, Maxwell, Carey,
Stoinis, Cummins, Starc & Lyon.
If Stoinis not fit, replaced by Richardson batting @ 10.

Love your round ups, JJ. 

Some of Maxwell’s agricultural slogs were not in the textbook, but he was very effective. 

With his wonderful fielding and part time spin I suppose he earns his spot for mine. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search