Ashes First Test

Ashes First Test

Author
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Paddles - 3 Aug 2019 11:06 AM
jaszyjim - 3 Aug 2019 10:57 AM

It's not Paine's team. It's Langer's team. And Steve Waugh is consultant. And Steve Waugh, I would guess, wanted the batting stacked like it was in his day. But unlike Steve Waugh's team, there is no Shane Warne around (with Steve and Mark Waugh) to leave an attack looking balanced with only 3 big quicks.

For mine, a Shane Watson type would be invaluable right now for Australia in England. On a day 2 pitch, Lyon bowled 28 out of 88 overs. That's 32%! Pattinson is tiring at 16 overs in a day - despite looking the most likely to threaten and take wickets. Which makes Siddle the most important bowler to Australia right now. I don't see an easy fix to this problem.

And what on earth happens if Pattinson gets injured mid match? 

I don't buy into dumping Paine just yet, but Carey would seem to possibly be the future. But the lack of an allrounder suited for English conditions is still troubling Australia. Has been since Flintoff in 2005 if I'm right? Cos Watto barely ever wanted to bowl. England for a time between Flintoff and Stokes scraped by with Trott and Collingwood, but - they had Swann as their spinner then.

Gday Paddles,
jaszyjim - Agree with your comments & I wonder why we cannot produce a good allrounder.
Watto, whether you laved him or hated him was the last of the good all rounders we had,
we seem to have the players athletic enough but they just don't develop.
For once I am lost for words why!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 9:05 AM
Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 8:40 AM

I went to bed with one wicket down. Only four at stumps. This new much hyped attack of ours let a bloke whose Test averages is a paltry @22 settle in. Where was the short venomous fare from our express men Pattinson and Cummins.  Cummins has lost his penetration, too wide and short same as Pattinson. The pick of our quicks was the old warhorse Pete Siddle. 

I think there was an extraordinary amount of bad luck in our bowling performance, Baggers.

Conversely, on the  first day of Ireland V England, everything went Ireland's way in the field.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 9:05 AM
Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 8:40 AM

I went to bed with one wicket down. Only four at stumps. This new much hyped attack of ours let a bloke whose Test averages is a paltry @22 settle in. Where was the short venomous fare from our express men Pattinson and Cummins.  Cummins has lost his penetration, too wide and short same as Pattinson. The pick of our quicks was the old warhorse Pete Siddle. 

Siddle bowled surprisingly well.

Although I thought the pick of our attack was Lyon.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 10:27 AM
Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 8:37 AM

There you are mate. Good nite with the TCA boys?

We musta been watching a different Lyon. He looked ineffective to me .. gave away a boundary from almost all of his first half dozen overs. This picking the so call GOAT for all Test matches is misguided. Horses for courses.. a wristie against the Poms.

I was distracted drinking with the TCA boys!

I wasn't completely focused.

Lyon bowled a lot of penetrative balls, and Paine kept very well to some sharp turners and Lyon balls with bounce.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 10:18 AM
baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 10:17 AM

Is DC hung over after his boozy nite with the TCA boys?

Had an hour in a circuit training class this morning!

Panadol worked well!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

jaszyjim - 3 Aug 2019 10:57 AM
Paddles - 3 Aug 2019 1:03 AM

In regards to Paine I will make this last comment & then not comment on him for the rest of the series.
Many of you will have noted various scribes in news outlets now agreeing with me - Smith will be captain when he has served his suspension
and due to what has happened, will be a far better one for it.
Paine may be a good bloke, but good blokes do not necessarily make good captains, he has done the best he can under trying
circumstances, unfortunately under him we will loose the ashes. 

Smith has brought the game into disrepute and demonstrated he is a poor leader of men. He was very weak, and lacked moral fortitude agreeing to  ball tampering.

I don't get it, that others don't see the moral issue. Du Plessis should never have been reinstated as South African captain either after he was been  caught for ball tampering twice - I think.

In terms of onfield body language Smith always looked uptight and annoyed with his team-mates for any mistake.

In terms of leading from  the front with performance , like Ponting, Waugh and Clarke often did,  we need a statesman, always in control as  the captaincy  option, like Taylor and Paine in preference.

Waugh I'm criticising  because of disparaging comments from his former teammates Warne and Slater, but he, Taylor and Paine always look relaxed and in control on the pitch.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

jaszyjim - 3 Aug 2019 11:50 AM

Watto, whether you laved him or hated him was the last of the good all rounders we had,

Watto was a wonderful alrounder apart from his body struggling  to cope with the bowling load.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Gday Paddles,
jaszyjim - Agree with your comments & I wonder why we cannot produce a good allrounder.

I don't know why either. I think a large part of it is the recent flat pitches in Australia no longer encourage the development of the Mark and Steve Waugh types, who learn seam and swing at low pace. And Jackson Bird is the only call back really to Damien Flemming and Clem Alderman. 

Another reason, is the Superstar Aus team, looked down on the bits and pieces cricketers. Cos they serve very little purpose in Australia. But in England, who is of course most famous for making them, they do serve a vital role when it swings and nibbles around.

Ian Harvey would slot into number 6 for Australia in this current team on this tour like an absolute gem. 

While the demand for all rounders will increase with t20, I'm sure Australia will start making them, as everyone will want a Russell or Braithwaite type, but its a totally different bowling style bowling fast and short, or slower balls.

Do you bite the bullet on MMarsh again? The only real solution I see is one that will not be popular, drop Lyon and Wade/Head, and play Labuschange at 6. He is having a great county year with the bat, and taking wickets along the way too. This then allows Neser, Haze or Starc to be 4th seamer. Then you can really go after England for a long spell. Instead of consistently letting the pressure off with Lyon when the new ball is still hard.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/787987.html

It's not Lyon's fault. But what he offers in the back innings, is lost in the first innings. The only reason Aus is still in this test is cos Anderson is injured.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Pattinson’s pace has dropped a lot whilst Cummins’ hasn’t. The latter has already reached 140 clicks plus in his first over. 

Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Paddles - 3 Aug 2019 1:47 PM

I don't know why either. I think a large part of it is the recent flat pitches in Australia no longer encourage the development of the Mark and Steve Waugh types, who learn seam and swing at low pace. And Jackson Bird is the only call back really to Damien Flemming and Clem Alderman. 

It's not Lyon's fault. But what he offers in the back innings, is lost in the first innings. The only reason Aus is still in this test is cos Anderson is injured.

I can’t believe anyone is suggesting Lyons should be dropped. He usually bowls well whether it is first or second innings, Paddles. He bowled without luck yesterday. 
Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan

Begrudgingly, Stokes made a good 50 until he edges a nothing ball from Cummins for a caught behind. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Warne repeating Baggers’ opinion that Cummins was struggling for rhythm early yesterday. He seems better now. 

Nice quick single for Bairstow to get off the mark. Singles and threes are much more effective now with the left hand right hand batsmen in the Burns/Bairstow partnership. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

That clip for 4 at mid  wicket  from Bairstow looks ominous. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I think there was a ball pitching chart that showed the ball has beaten Burns’ outside edge about 25 -30 times as Lyon does it again with a sharp turner. 

How is he still there? 

On the the other hand I can’t believe Stokes is out. He hasn’t looked like getting out until he was dismissed. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Burns caught superbly by Paine off a flighted, sharp turner from Lyon. 

His foot was only just behind the line though. Lyon has been overdue for a wicket as Burns’  lucky innings comes to an end. 

Congrats to Burns, but he was lucky. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Lyons is also worrying Ali as he clean bowls another left hander! 

Two wickets in an over for GOAT. 

It looked like a top spinner. How do finger spinners bowl straight balls? 

Grazor? 

Paddles, you must be mad mooting the dropping of Lyon! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

You beauty Siddle! 

The dangerous Bairstow caught  by Warner in slip! 

ATM if anyone is dropped for Lords it should be Patto. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Finally Lyon pays his way. was 0-80 before Burns wicket.

Pommies imploding now with Bairstow playing a shocker of a shot. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 9:23 PM
You beauty Siddle! 

The dangerous Bairstow caught  by Warner in slip! 

ATM if anyone is dropped for Lords it should be Patto. 

Pattinson has been disappointing. So has Cummins. Hazlewood back for Lords.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

About time I watch some cricket whilst we are on top. 

I’ve usually been asleep in this Test when we are in the ascendancy. 

GOAT is bowling very potent hand grenades. 4 English wickets this session. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 9:19 PM
Lyons is also worrying Ali as he clean bowls another left hander! 

Two wickets in an over for GOAT. 

It looked like a top spinner. How do finger spinners bowl straight balls? 

Grazor? 

Paddles, you must be mad mooting the dropping of Lyon! 

Paddles you have a ally. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 9:27 PM

Cummins has improved as the innings has progressed. 

Nasty bouncer from Cummins as he hits Woakes in the helmet. 

Patto was initially potent, but has run out of gas. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 9:29 PM
Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 9:19 PM

Paddles you have a ally. 

Who? 

Not me! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Good sweep from bowler Broad off Lyon. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Lyon is getting a lot of drift and dip in the air,  as well as spin and bounce. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 9:36 PM
Lyon is getting a lot of drift and dip in the air,  as well as spin and bounce. 

Not to mention accuracy. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 9:27 PM

You are a fan boy of Hazlewood, Baggers! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

GOAT on fire as there is an appeal off Woakes. 

Great fielding Bancroft and Paine. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 3 Aug 2019 9:33 PM
baggygreenmania - 3 Aug 2019 9:29 PM

Who? 

Not me! 

Me. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Broad looks more comfortable than batsman Woakes. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search