Ashes Second Test

Ashes Second Test

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Paddles - 8 Aug 2019 3:25 PM
baggygreenmania - 8 Aug 2019 3:07 PM

They want to spice it up. SA did this to SL and lost, though. I would play on a greenie myself, but the questions England need to find answers to is why are they with 18 counties, futher pro leagues, and a structure that identifies talent from just starting high school, completely and utterly unable to produce more high caliber batsmen. What makes this more obvious, is that Trott and KP were actually groomed and developed in South Africa to U19 levels.

I certainly don't blame t20 for this. There is something wrong with the English infrastructure if they have this money, and cannot produce better batsmen than what they are serving up at present. Their test batting is absolutely dire. Simply dire. I said it on a different forum, England has been rolled for under 100, no less than 3 times recently. And its not as though the NZ, WI and Irish attacks are lauded as the best in the world. Not to mention, Jason Holder scored a double century when the WI rolled them. 

And I am absolutely clueless as to what England can or should do to remedy the situation bar swapping Bairstow with Foakes. I have absolutely no idea who they should try. They've tried so many lately. And given them long runs of opportunities. The batting is woeful.

Wow!

Without Smith and Warner I think the Aus batting has been pretty bad too.

I would have thought Foakes should replace Bairstow as well.

The recent English  batting performances  have been appalling when I read these figures.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 8 Aug 2019 3:45 PM

Wow!

Without Smith and Warner I think the Aus batting has been pretty bad too.

I would have thought Foakes should replace Bairstow as well.

The recent English  batting performances  have been appalling when I read these figures.

Yeah - but you have faith in the Australian production system still right? England has only produced one dominant batting team since the 1980's, when Cook, KP and Trott with Prior took them to number 1 with Bell and Strauss giving admirable support. But you take out KP and Trott, and that batting line up looks very very different and far less high calibre.

3 nations have the money to make the best cricketers. Australia, India and England. India is producing not only batsmen, but even fast bowlers now. Fast bowlers! To go with their spinners and fancy and vaunted batsmen. Australia continue to develop fast bowlers, and is in a bit of a pickle right now with batting depth. That said, the system put in place and produced a glut of talent since the 1980s. An absolute glut.

So what is England doing so wrong? Why is Australia and India producing batsman after batsman, regularly, and England not able to?

England has played some aboslute lemon batsmen since Boycott retired. Regularly. Team after team of them. And most of the best ones were built in SA.

See I just don't get it. How can they be failing to produce regular talent, when they have all these resources? 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Pace is very important on Australian pitches. Our pitches are more clay based and as a result offer more pace and bounce. However, they offer little swing and seam movement. Pace becomes the most important thing for bowlers. English pitches arent as bouncy or quick but offer far more seam and swing movement. England generally being better for those who bowl 130s and generate movement (see Anderson) over those who bowl express pace.

Archer is such a talent because he seems capable of bowling it at 150 and generating lots of movement despite. Generally when you hit that top pace you lose movement. Archer seems also capable of bowling a consistent line and length at that pace. He really is a huge prospect

ARNIE= LEGEND

Edited
5 Years Ago by RedKat
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

RedKat - 8 Aug 2019 4:38 PM
Pace is very important on Australian pitches. Our pitches are more clay based and as a result offer more pace and bounce. However, they offer little swing and seam movement. Pace becomes the most important thing for bowlers. English pitches arent as bouncy or quick but offer far more seam and swing movement. England generally being better for those who bowl 130s and generate movement (see Anderson) over those who bowl express pace.

Archer is such a talent because he seems capable of bowling it at 150 and generating lots of movement despite. Generally when you hit that top pace you lose movement. Archer seems also capable of bowling a consistent line and length at that pace. He really is a huge prospect

Really not true at all for swing, Steyn could bowl outswingers at 150, Bond huge inswingers at 150, Younis ditto. Pattinson pre injury 145 and swing. Boult also (in odi). Jones, Flintoff, Akhtar all had the ball reversing well into the 140's and beyond for Akhtar. Everyone has seen Starc's inswinging yorkers at 150k. I really can just keep listing off pace men who swung the ball. 

Swing has very little to do with pitches (bar a block taking off the shine earlier which then brings reverse swing into play). The kookaburra ball is far more to blame. As the Dukes swings (and seams) nicely in your Shield games when it is used. Australia used to produce an all day swinging Kookaburra ball back in the era of McDermott, I grew up watching Hadlee swing the ball in Australia. Big Botham was swinging it in 1986 in Australia. So its not Australian clay related at all. Donald used to bowl first change in Australia during an ODI series in Australia in 1997/98 because the new ball swung too much for him to get an edge. Flemming has a fine record in Australia as a medium paced swinger.

Aus moved to roads of pitches during the 1990's and defnitely by the 2000's. You could leave grass on a pitch if you wanted to. The only pitch that was famously a road in Australia historically was Adelaide, but look what happened in the day night tests there when they left grass on it.

Drop in pitches make it hard to generate reverse swing as there is no block to scuff the ball on so rapidly.

For seam, the Kookaburra has a shorter seam than the SG or Dukes. And it has 2 fake stitches. It goes softer earlier, so nibbles less. Even then, give it to Philander or Abbot especially in Australia when new, and it will still nibble around.

If Australia left grass on the wicket, even Adelaide will hoop with swing. Like it did for Steyn last year in the late overs in that ODI there. You need a harder ball to bring the seamers into it for longer than the first 30 overs. The machine made Kookie just gets soft too early now on shaved pitches that resemble concrete. It doesn't give a lot of overs to seamers and swingers unless there is grass on the wicket.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
TokyoPom
TokyoPom
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

There is something wrong with the English infrastructure if they have this money, and cannot produce better batsmen than what they are serving up at present. Their test batting is absolutely dire. 

Too much focus on short form cricket since 2015. Batters have ‘forgotten’ how to bat for long periods?
Too much snobbery/exclusiveness in the sport - state schools hardly play the game (terrestrial tv doesn’t even show live matches). When I was a kid in the 70s cricket was the national (summer) sport, now in polls you hear 2% of kids listing it in their top two favourite sports to play or watch (of course football is utterly dominant in the country).

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

TokyoPom - 8 Aug 2019 6:22 PM

Too much focus on short form cricket since 2015. Batters have ‘forgotten’ how to bat for long periods?
Too much snobbery/exclusiveness in the sport - state schools hardly play the game (terrestrial tv doesn’t even show live matches). When I was a kid in the 70s cricket was the national (summer) sport, now in polls you hear 2% of kids listing it in their top two favourite sports to play or watch (of course football is utterly dominant in the country).

I dont blame short form cricket at all. I fear you're onto something with the snobbery and exclusiveness... I hope you're wrong.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

with all the talk of all rounders I'm surprised Faulkner isn't mentioned. Would probably score as many as Mitch but is as good as a top line line and length bowler. Incredible first class record
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

grazorblade - 8 Aug 2019 11:26 PM
with all the talk of all rounders I'm surprised Faulkner isn't mentioned. Would probably score as many as Mitch but is as good as a top line line and length bowler. Incredible first class record

He has only played 1 FC game since 2016/17. 1. And hasn't really performed well in FC or anything really since 2015.

https://www.crichq.com/players/1315363/statistics/domestic

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

https://www.smh.com.au/interactive/2019/rough-and-ready-the-art-and-science-of-reverse-swing/

Really good article for those interested in swing and reverse swing and why.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Lord's, where he has a career average of 17.60 having taken 5-88 from 30 overs at the venue. Talking about Josh Hazlewood.
Yesterday he finished with 3-34 off 15. I knew he had back trouble.. but did not know it was a double stress fracture. Another case of  a mature bowler going down with the rookie quicks ailment.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 6:04 AM

He has only played 1 FC game since 2016/17. 1. And hasn't really performed well in FC or anything really since 2015.

https://www.crichq.com/players/1315363/statistics/domestic

Faulkner has been plagued by injury for past few years. I agree with grazor.. is a better bet than Marsh or Stoinis when fit. Also being a lefie he adds balance to an attack.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Aus moved to roads of pitches during the 1990's and defnitely by the 2000's. You could leave grass on a pitch if you wanted to. The only pitch that was famously a road in Australia historically was Adelaide, but look what happened in the day night tests there when they left grass on it.
Drop in pitches make it hard to generate reverse swing as there is no block to scuff the ball on so rapidly.

Cricket keyboard warriors like me have been saying this on forums for years. Does CA listen. The only decent pitch that ensures a fair contest between bat and ball is Bellerive.. and guess what CA took away its Test status last summer. Hope that is not a permanent move. I have to say that for a drop in I was impressed with the life of the deck at the New Perth Stadium. Great looking venue too. 

Australia used to produce an all day swinging Kookaburra ball back in the era of McDermott, I grew up watching Hadlee swing the ball in Australia. Big Botham was swinging it in 1986 in Australia.

Is it any wonder that Aussies are lost when it comes to swinging the ball. They dont have the bloody ball or conditions to do so. That is up till three years ago when  CA introduced an Aussie version of the English Dukes to be used in the final 5 matches of the Shield. This may pay dividends if we at least are competitive these Ashes. CA may then not feel the need to abandon the idea.  If Kooka used to make a swinging ball.. perhaps they shud revisit it otherwise the English Dukes may just take over all red ball international cricket to make it more competitive and save Test cricket from dying.
Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 2:42 PM

Cricket keyboard warriors like me have been saying this on forums for years. Does CA listen. The only decent pitch that ensures a fair contest between bat and ball is Bellerive.. and guess what CA took away its Test status last summer. Hope that is not a permanent move. I have to say that for a drop in I was impressed with the life of the deck at the New Perth Stadium. Great looking venue too. 

Yeah, you can spice up a drop in and leave a ton of grass on it. That will keep the new ball in the game a lot lot longer. Just makes it more difficult to do anything with an old ball unless the fielders get creative in making a super rough side somehow.

Hobart regularly doesn't get a test at all. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/team/match_results.html?class=1;id=905;type=ground

It will always be the 6th ranked town for Australian cricket.

NZ is slowly going in a different direction to the big city norm, with Mount Maunganui and Hamilton already was, becoming lead venues with the Basin Reserve in Wellington. Eden Park (Auckland) is consigned only for Ind and Eng tests now.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 2:49 PM

Yeah, you can spice up a drop in and leave a ton of grass on it. That will keep the new ball in the game a lot lot longer. Just makes it more difficult to do anything with an old ball unless the fielders get creative in making a super rough side somehow.

Hobart regularly doesn't get a test at all. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/team/match_results.html?class=1;id=905;type=ground

It will always be the 6th ranked town for Australian cricket.

Then copy their pitch blueprint. Or poach their curator. 

Yes that is a piddling number of test matches over 40 years.
Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 2:55 PM
Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 2:49 PM

Then copy their pitch blueprint. Or poach their curator. 

Your curators know what they're doing. As do most in the world. They're acting on orders from CA. Channel 9 wanted 5 days of cricket to cover its costs. CA wanted the money. You got roads. Plus the only bowling attack regularly as fast if not faster than yours was South Africas, so only South Africa caused regular problems for Australia in Australia.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 3:07 PM
Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 2:57 PM

Agree. CA are to blame. The almighty dollar is its prime concern. Give the cricket rights back to Aunty ABC like it had in the 70s before Packer stuck his millions in.
If they asked us to give Aunty an extra $10 to pay for the rights I would pay.. to watch their telecast.

I
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 3:10 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 3:07 PM

I

Not that simple Baggers. Your players have gotten used to and like being millionaires. And the CA is in "partnership" with the players association. Money is here to stay.

WIthout money your whole FC structure would fall over. You'd be left like the rest of the non-big 3. With even less money. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Is it any wonder that Aussies are lost when it comes to swinging the ball. They dont have the bloody ball or conditions to do so. That is up till three years ago when  CA introduced an Aussie version of the English Dukes to be used in the final 5 matches of the Shield. This may pay dividends if we at least are competitive these Ashes. CA may then not feel the need to abandon the idea.  If Kooka used to make a swinging ball.. perhaps they shud revisit it otherwise the English Dukes may just take over all red ball international cricket to make it more competitive and save Test cricket from dying.

A standardized platform for the ball is being discussed by the iCC right now. What is being tabled, is that SG, Dukes and Kooka still make the balls, but make them all the same. A problem for Kookaburra is they machine make them, SG and Dukes are hand stitched. So interesting times ahead.

SA uses a Kookaburra, and that's not a fun tour for many batsmen, so Aus really could just leave more grass on the pitches. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 3:31 PM

A standardized platform for the ball is being discussed by the iCC right now. What is being tabled, is that SG, Dukes and Kooka still make the balls, but make them all the same. A problem for Kookaburra is they machine make them, SG and Dukes are hand stitched. So interesting times ahead.

SA uses a Kookaburra, and that's not a fun tour for many batsmen, so Aus really could just leave more grass on the pitches. 

That is good news Paddles. So there are basic differences between the hand stitched ball and and the machine made one? Then Kooka have to do likewise and hand stitch theirs or CA  get some other maker to do it. Who uses the SG.. is it Indian?
Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 4:02 PM
Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 3:31 PM

That is good news Paddles. So their are basic differences between hand and machine making? Then Kooka have to do likewise and hand stitch theirs or get some other maker to do it. Who uses the SG.. is it Indian?

SG is India.

Kooka has four fake stitches cos machine made sewing. It is also not crafted by hand for the lacquer. This, and the less lacquer,  causes it to soften faster.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

They want to spice it up. SA did this to SL and lost, though. I would play on a greenie myself, but the questions England need to find answers to is why are they with 18 counties, futher pro leagues, and a structure that identifies talent from just starting high school, completely and utterly unable to produce more high caliber batsmen. What makes this more obvious, is that Trott and KP were actually groomed and developed in South Africa to U19 levels.

I certainly don't blame t20 for this. There is something wrong with the English infrastructure if they have this money, and cannot produce better batsmen than what they are serving up at present. Their test batting is absolutely dire. Simply dire. I said it on a different forum, England has been rolled for under 100, no less than 3 times recently. And its not as though the NZ, WI and Irish attacks are lauded as the best in the world. Not to mention, Jason Holder scored a double century when the WI rolled them. 

And I am absolutely clueless as to what England can or should do to remedy the situation bar swapping Bairstow with Foakes. I have absolutely no idea who they should try. They've tried so many lately. And given them long runs of opportunities. The batting is woeful.

Yes it is unfathonable.. given their structure and rich history. Where are the Hammonds, Hobbs, Huttons, Barringtons of today?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 4:16 PM

Yes it is unfathonable.. given their structure and rich history. Where are the Hammonds, Hobbs, Huttons, Barringtons of today? Sutcliffe and Compton the only other two to average @50 or over. There are tho many in the hi @40s.

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 4:04 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 4:02 PM

SG is India.

Kooka has two fake stitches cos machine made. It is also not crafted by hand. This, and no lacquer,  causes it to soften faster.

So that is why the the Kooka seam softens quicker than the Dukes. Surely they can apply a lacquer.. they did with the pinkies? Not sure what they can do about the seam. Perhaps continue to machine stitch their white ball but hand stitch the red one. I'd have notioned is is paramount for the evolution of the game that all nations use a universal ball.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 4:16 PM

Yes it is unfathonable.. given their structure and rich history. Where are the Hammonds, Hobbs, Huttons, Barringtons of today?

But where is the next level below these guys? Where is their depth players?

NZ right now is enjoying Henry Nicholls surge onto the world stage. But arguably - our best batsmen aren't even in the team as yet. 

Every single NZ fan knows that the next batsman will be Will Young, who has murdered runs in Australia against Starc, Cummins, Haze and co, made runs Pak A in the UAE and against Ind A in NZ. All in 1 year.

We have Devon Conway on eligibility count down from SA. Then there is the future boy wonder of Rachin Ravindra, who may or may not be a superstar. But lets just say there is expectations on him starring.

Not to mention that for most of the past 7 years, Jesse Ryder was basically sacked. 

If NZL has finally started producing quality intl batsmen, why isn't England? There is something totally wrong with the England system. It has to be wrong, cos its failing. Repeatedly. Decade after decade.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Aug 2019 4:51 PM
Paddles - 9 Aug 2019 4:04 PM

So that is why the the Kooka seam softens quicker than the Dukes. Surely they can apply a lacquer.. they did with the pinkies? Not sure what they can do about the seam. Perhaps continue to machine stitch their white ball but hand stitch the red one. I'd have notioned is is paramount for the evolution of the game that all nations use a universal ball.

Kookaburra has money. Far more money than Dukes. They make more gear than just balls, and sell to more countries. NZ uses a Kookaburra cos it paid to do so by Kookaburra. And presumably SA, SL and the likes are also paid. Kookaburra by giving away this dosh, or balls for free, gets endless free advertising. 

Dukes doesn't have the money to compete with this deal. They only make balls. And because their balls are entirely handmade, they cost a lot more to boot. But makes a better ball for test cricket bowling. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Will Joy
Will Joy
Under 7s
Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 8 Aug 2019 11:54 AM
baggygreenmania - 8 Aug 2019 11:49 AM

Joe Root criticised the bowler-friendly nature of the Edgbaston pitch but former skipper Nasser Hussain says England will need a green bowler-friendly pitch conducive to seam and swing bowling if they are the level the series.

Stop making excuses for the pitch,England had not lost a test at Edgbaston for 11 games and I am sure the curator was told to make the wicket just like the previous 11.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Faulkner has barely played  a Shield game in the last few years. 

He is plagued by knee trouble. When a mate asked him recently how his injuries were going he said they were ‘fu...d’. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Wiljoy - 9 Aug 2019 6:05 PM
baggygreenmania - 8 Aug 2019 11:54 AM

He isn’t. 

He is quoting Root’s perceptions. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 8 Aug 2019 4:01 PM
Decentric - 8 Aug 2019 3:45 PM

Yeah - but you have faith in the Australian production system still right? England has only produced one dominant batting team since the 1980's, when Cook, KP and Trott with Prior took them to number 1 with Bell and Strauss giving admirable support. But you take out KP and Trott, and that batting line up looks very very different and far less high calibre.

3 nations have the money to make the best cricketers. Australia, India and England. India is producing not only batsmen, but even fast bowlers now. Fast bowlers! To go with their spinners and fancy and vaunted batsmen. Australia continue to develop fast bowlers, and is in a bit of a pickle right now with batting depth. That said, the system put in place and produced a glut of talent since the 1980s. An absolute glut.

So what is England doing so wrong? Why is Australia and India producing batsman after batsman, regularly, and England not able to?

England has played some aboslute lemon batsmen since Boycott retired. Regularly. Team after team of them. And most of the best ones were built in SA.

See I just don't get it. How can they be failing to produce regular talent, when they have all these resources? 

No I'm not a massive advocate of the current Aus development system for many of the reasons Baggers has elucidated in aforementioned posts.

We have our worst generation of Test batters for some time. Cricket, like many sports, is simply orientated around money at present. 20/20 and BBL reign supreme in Australia. We now have a period in summer from early December until late February when no FC or Shield cricket is played. How can a break in nearly 3 months in the middle of the cricket season be conducive to developing quality red ball cricketers?

Moreover, our pitches are very poor in encouraging the development of spin bowlers.

The last point is that batters from overseas suggest it is too easy batting on Aussie wickets.

I've seen a fair bit of Test cricket on Kiwi pitches.

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 10 Aug 2019 9:29 AM
Paddles - 8 Aug 2019 4:01 PM

No I'm not a massive advocate of the current Aus development system for many of the reasons Baggers has elucidated in aforementioned posts.

We have our worst generation of Test batters for some time. Cricket, like many sports, is simply orientated around money at present. 20/20 and BBL reign supreme in Australia. We now have a period in summer from early December until late February when no FC or Shield cricket is played. How can a break in nearly 3 months in the middle of the cricket season be conducive to developing quality red ball cricketers?

Moreover, our pitches are very poor in encouraging the development of spin bowlers.

The last point is that batters from overseas suggest it is too easy batting on Aussie wickets.

I've seen a fair bit of Test cricket on Kiwi pitches.

Your test wickets are easy. And right now CA has a batting depth crisis. But since the AIS and Academy in the 1980's - you went through the 90's the naughties, and most of this decade with great batsmen. 
David Warner (expelled)

On top of this, Lejmann, Hayden and Hughes and many more were state made. There is nothing wrong with the Aus production lines for at least batting at home. England don't even have batsmen for home.\

Now in the same time frame, England has developed Cook and Root. Trott and KP were imports. Buttler and Prior is being generous to include them. But lets say we do. It doesn't compare.

There is nothing wrong with your spin bowlers. The Academy expelled Warne and graduated MacGill. But you lost years worth of options when you sought a new leg spinner where the was none. It took you years to play Lyon. And even then NSW overlooked Sommerville at a state level who can demolish Pakistan in UAE at test level.

England has one spinner in Leach who is quality. Ali is made spinner. Who has been useful at times. But he was made at intl level. Not even domestic. After Swann they had noone, before Swann, it was what? Panesar? Tuffnell? Embury?

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search