Australia U-23 squad named to face New Zealand U-23

Australia U-23 squad named to face New Zealand U-23

Author
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Good grief this is bad.

Imagine what the English U21s would do to this Australian team? 
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

highkick05 - 9 Sep 2019 9:12 PM
Mcgree should just pick it up and take it all the way. 

He is fully ready for the national team for me. The only player i was impressed by this match
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Typical Aus milking the time! 

Wellington Phoenix FC

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

You see the extent of the problem when someone like Van Egmond is in a national coaching position.

I mean purely in terms of his CV, what the hell is he doing in the national coaching set up? 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

nomates - 9 Sep 2019 9:16 PM
don't know how its not 4-1 to nz

but thiz is NZ's best youth players.

Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

highkick05 - 9 Sep 2019 9:20 PM

Still have Singh, Cacace, McCowatt, Waine, Woud to come into this squad.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

highkick05 - 9 Sep 2019 9:20 PM

Bitch plz! It was our C squad don't let facts nock ya on ya ass.

Wellington Phoenix FC

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

charlied - 9 Sep 2019 9:20 PM
You see the extent of the problem when someone like Van Egmond is in a national coaching position.

I mean purely in terms of his CV, what the hell is he doing in the national coaching set up? 

You beg to think, what is the fucking purpose of this plane trip across the ditch? 1-1 draw ? 

There's a reason the seats are empty. FFAs goals fukn 'sky's the limit '

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Let's set up a game. with New  Zealand.

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

highkick05 - 9 Sep 2019 9:23 PM

You beg to think, what is the fucking purpose of this plane trip across the ditch? 1-1 draw ? 

There's a reason the seats are empty. FFAs goals fukn 'sky's the limit '

Why play it on a Monday night?
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

When does the Olyroos game start?  That was just a pick up game with a few locals wasn't it.
nomates
nomates
World Class

Hate to see what Laos or Cambodia will do to this Olly Roos squad. Shambles.

Wellington Phoenix FC

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

chondro
chondro
Pro

GVM sucks, ruined the young matildas.
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I believe the correct terminology is ‘jobz for da boiiiz’
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Talent wise it’s fine with more to come in but from what I witnessed watching them live tonight was their lack of cohesion and understanding in how they wanted to play which is a real concern, unlike the Kiwis they looked like a team that’s been together and had good understanding of their playing style.

Tass the defender, Atkinson, Genreau and McGree I think would be certainties but the rest it’s borderline.

Based on that I give the Olyroos a 10% chance of qualifying for the Olympics, they need a lot of work if they want to stand a chance.

I have a feeling Arnie needs to work double time with this team.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Barca4Life - 10 Sep 2019 1:39 AM
Talent wise it’s fine with more to come in but from what I witnessed watching them live tonight was their lack of cohesion and understanding in how they wanted to play which is a real concern, unlike the Kiwis they looked like a team that’s been together and had good understanding of their playing style.

Tass the defender, Atkinson, Genreau and McGree I think would be certainties but the rest it’s borderline.

Based on that I give the Olyroos a 10% chance of qualifying for the Olympics, they need a lot of work if they want to stand a chance.

I have a feeling Arnie needs to work double time with this team.

So why didn't he play Baccus who is a regular first team starter at WSW?
From the stream, I agree on your starters except Atkinson who looked like a player out of form as had the occasional good touch, but was beaten regularly by his opponent. I am not sure why Russell wasn't in the matchday squad. 
Mohamed Adam would be a better option than Blackwood
Possible starting team
GK Glover
DF Atkinson/Russell, Souttar, Mourdoukoutas , O'Toole
DM Genreau , Baccus
AM McGree 
FW Wales, Adam, Arzani
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

chondro - 9 Sep 2019 9:38 PM
GVM sucks, ruined the young matildas.

He's a leech on the body politic of Australian football.  
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Unfortunately i only saw the second half and can confirm with utmost certainty the kiwis deserved to win that.

Absolute rubbish for the most part. Heward-Belle cant play with his feet at all and had us in all sorts of trouble every time it came to him.

Worst of all was our work in attack. One moment comes to mind where McGree picked the ball up and began to drive forward. Both of our strikers just pinned their ears back and sprinted with their backs to him
JuanPablo
JuanPablo
Super Fan
Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)

Paul01 - 10 Sep 2019 6:42 AM
Barca4Life - 10 Sep 2019 1:39 AM

So why didn't he play Baccus who is a regular first team starter at WSW?
From the stream, I agree on your starters except Atkinson who looked like a player out of form as had the occasional good touch, but was beaten regularly by his opponent. I am not sure why Russell wasn't in the matchday squad. 
Mohamed Adam would be a better option than Blackwood
Possible starting team
GK Glover
DF Atkinson/Russell, Souttar, Mourdoukoutas , O'Toole
DM Genreau , Baccus
AM McGree 
FW Wales, Adam, Arzani

Guess it's only a friendly so maybe next camp we will see a different approach. But last nights game was an all round boring snorefest. No creativity whatsoever.
I can't understand why Baccus didn't play either and Atkinson was really off his game last night. Young Silveri was poor.Would have preferred to see a player like Najjarine or Najjar from Melbourne City in there. Genreau was boring, created nothing, no excitement. Can see why Momberts hasn't been interested in him. I would have liked to have seen Metcalfe play. He has been very exciting to watch in Melbourne City's pre-season games. Maybe a midfield of McGree, Metcalfe and Pasquali might be more creative and exciting?

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Blackwood has so much talent but was so disappointing last night.  He's a big guy but he doesn't show nearly enough aggression.  With his height he should be aggressively contesting and winning balls in the air, but he loses those contests constantly, and often shies away from contesting the ball at all, allowing defenders free headers.  He needs to look hard at how big central strikers play in the top leagues, players like Drogba (past), and Costa.  Harrying defenders, contesting every ball.  It really does seem to be an attitudinal thing with GB.  He has the potential to go a long way, but his performances are going nowhere at the moment and he's running out of time.
Edited
5 Years Ago by CS
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Lets be honest if we played NZ first team now they would win not easily but definitely win.

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Our U23s have fallen short of any real quality for so many years now.  Chronic lack of pace in the front third last night.

Can't see this side qualifying.
nomates
nomates
World Class

The Australians at times just looked disinterested, maybe because there in preseason? Who knows but the future don't look to good for them atm. As for the Kiwis they showed plenty of skill and heart to keep pushing right up to the last minute to score a winner and not play for the draw like the Aussies.

Wellington Phoenix FC

saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)

nomates - 10 Sep 2019 12:13 PM
The Australians at times just looked disinterested, maybe because there in preseason? Who knows but the future don't look to good for them atm. As for the Kiwis they showed plenty of skill and heart to keep pushing right up to the last minute to score a winner and not play for the draw like the Aussies.

Unlike others, not reading too much into the performance and results of these games. For starters, the team was made up of a-league players who are all out of season atm. Secondly GVE was in charge, not sure this does a lot for continuity. Thirdly, there are several overseas players who will push their case for a starting birth come January eg Arzani, Iredale, Folami, Duncan, Italiano, Souttar, Gersbach, Francois just to name few. If anything this enabled both teams to dust off some cobwebs, and highlight some possible positions where we need some greater depth. 
RyanM
RyanM
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Pretty surprising that NZ was competitive at all let alone the better team, this team really was scraping the barrel and had absolutely no players from a professional environment and we were expecting to get comprehensively beaten.

Really shows how exciting this young generation is in NZ and what depth there is. I'm expecting them to go further in the Olympics than they did in the U20 world cup (where they came second in their group) when all the pros come into the team.

Also disappointing that Des wasn't given the Phoenix or NZ senior job based on the work he's doing.

CS
CS
Rising Star

RyanM - 10 Sep 2019 1:22 PM
Pretty surprising that NZ was competitive at all let alone the better team, this team really was scraping the barrel and had absolutely no players from a professional environment and we were expecting to get comprehensively beaten.

Really shows how exciting this young generation is in NZ and what depth there is. I'm expecting them to go further in the Olympics than they did in the U20 world cup (where they came second in their group) when all the pros come into the team.

Also disappointing that Des wasn't given the Phoenix or NZ senior job based on the work he's doing.

Honestly, NZ is better off with him where he is.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

CS - 10 Sep 2019 11:01 AM
Blackwood has so much talent but was so disappointing last night.  He's a big guy but he doesn't show nearly enough aggression.  With his height he should be aggressively contesting and winning balls in the air, but he loses those contests constantly, and often shies away from contesting the ball at all, allowing defenders free headers.  He needs to look hard at how big central strikers play in the top leagues, players like Drogba (past), and Costa.  Harrying defenders, contesting every ball.  It really does seem to be an attitudinal thing with GB.  He has the potential to go a long way, but his performances are going nowhere at the moment and he's running out of time.

Everything you said is true basically 95% of the time I have seen him play for United.
He has decent skills but has no aggression in him at all and maybe doesn't "think" fast enough either.
I have wanted him to do well for so long now, he seems like a nice kid.
Too nice I guess. 

McGree on the other hand I am tipping for a very big year. He looks hungry.
Paul01
Paul01
Pro

saweston - 10 Sep 2019 12:34 PM
nomates - 10 Sep 2019 12:13 PM

Unlike others, not reading too much into the performance and results of these games. For starters, the team was made up of a-league players who are all out of season atm. Secondly GVE was in charge, not sure this does a lot for continuity. Thirdly, there are several overseas players who will push their case for a starting birth come January eg Arzani, Iredale, Folami, Duncan, Italiano, Souttar, Gersbach, Francois just to name few. If anything this enabled both teams to dust off some cobwebs, and highlight some possible positions where we need some greater depth. 

Gersbach was in the matchday squads and started in Wollongong lol
JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

CS - 10 Sep 2019 11:01 AM
Blackwood has so much talent but was so disappointing last night. 

I beg to differ - Think he's kinda shit and overrated right now in his career.

However i'll gladly take the egg on my face if he proves me wrong.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search