Western United won't rule out home ground switch

Western United won't rule out home ground switch

Author
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
someguyjc - 18 Nov 2019 11:15 PM
One of the reasons crowds are low has to be the lack of information regarding the Tarneit stadium. It's been nearly 12 months and all we have is O'Rouke telling us that WU told him that its going to happen early next year. Which may be true, but the fans need to hear this stuff from the club. The fans aren't going to invest their time and money in a club that they have little idea about what the future holds. They need some proper evidence that this stadium is going to happen.
As for other stadiums, I still reckon they could trial a game or two at Whitten Oval. Obviously no footy oval is ideal, but the location is about as perfect as it gets for club representing the West. All Western train lines run through footscray station and the stadium is literally across the road. 

yep agree with all of this. but the lack of communication with fans seems to be a HAL-wide issue.

I also agree with Whitten Oval as an option. I said this 12 months ago. Yes its an AFL ground, but its small, in the west and much more suitable for them than a 36,000 stadium.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 19 Nov 2019 8:00 AM
kavorka - 19 Nov 2019 7:55 AM

As well they should.  

Yep.
I didn't want to be the one coming out all negative, but there is not a chance in hell of the Knights doing WU any favours (unless they were willing to pay a premium price).

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

One of the reasons crowds are low has to be the lack of information regarding the Tarneit stadium.

A conversation at a pub in Geelong:
 - Anyone been to the sokkah?
 - I was gunna go, but I'm so upset that there's been no news about the new stadium in Tarneit - I refuse to go till I hear something!

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

bettega - 19 Nov 2019 11:43 AM
ErogenousZone - 19 Nov 2019 8:00 AM

Yep.
I didn't want to be the one coming out all negative, but there is not a chance in hell of the Knights doing WU any favours (unless they were willing to pay a premium price).

Used to think this but I swear I've Knight's Pres say somewhere (possibly twitter) that they'd be much more open to this than most would have thought. Obviously there would have to be a fee but that's not surprising.

Viennese Vuck

newton_circus
newton_circus
Amateur
Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)

One of the reasons crowds are low has to be the lack of information regarding the Tarneit stadium. It's been nearly 12 months and all we have is O'Rouke telling us that WU told him that its going to happen early next year. Which may be true, but the fans need to hear this stuff from the club. The fans aren't going to invest their time and money in a club that they have little idea about what the future holds. They need some proper evidence that this stadium is going to happen.
As for other stadiums, I still reckon they could trial a game or two at Whitten Oval. Obviously no footy oval is ideal, but the location is about as perfect as it gets for club representing the West. All Western train lines run through footscray station and the stadium is literally across the road. 

Somers Street is good to capture the west market, for Sunshine, St Albans, Keilor , etc.
Whitten oval really is location perfect for them, with train station, being inner west.
Melbourne Showgrouds...  well maybe this is possible to too? I'm not sure.
If Western United play out of Somers Street, and Whitten Oval (plus a few appearances in Ballarat) for the next few seasons , and then move to Tarneit when the stadium is complete,  I think they'll build a real stronghold in the west, covering inner west, wild west, keilor , taylors lakes, lavo, point cook, hoppers, etc. They'd really have a monopoly and the only way a 2nd Western Suburbs team could enter the A-leage would be via Promotion / Relegation.

bettega
bettega
World Class

Inner Western suburbs probably already have a very strong Victory supporter base.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
bettega - 19 Nov 2019 11:55 AM
Inner Western suburbs probably already have a very strong Victory supporter base.

Well I live in that area and there's plenty of blue on the train in when we're playing, I'd say it's one of our strongest areas, if we have one.
Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

paladisious - 19 Nov 2019 12:19 PM
bettega - 19 Nov 2019 11:55 AM

Well I live in that area and there's plenty of blue on the train in when we're playing, I'd say it's one of our strongest areas, if we have one.

I'd be surprised if there is any single area that has a substantially higher number of MV supporters. I live in the North but I work in the East and typically catch the train to games, so on Friday night games I'm travelling on eastern train lines. I reckon they both have a similar number of supporters. If you look across the platforms at flinders st or southern cross after a game there is a fairly even distribution on most platforms. It would be interesting to see the membership postcode breakdown to see what the spread is actually like. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
someguyjc - 19 Nov 2019 12:29 PM

I'd be surprised if there is any single area that has a substantially higher number of MV supporters. I live in the North but I work in the East and typically catch the train to games, so on Friday night games I'm travelling on eastern train lines. I reckon they both have a similar number of supporters. If you look across the platforms at flinders st or southern cross after a game there is a fairly even distribution on most platforms. It would be interesting to see the membership postcode breakdown to see what the spread is actually like. 

I agree.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

This is the details from the Deloitte report:-

"Perhaps the most telling set of numbers in the Deloitte data are those that look at the impact of the six shortlisted bids on the existing A-League clubs. 

The Deloitte data looked at the number of existing A-League clubs members in each of the expansion bid geographic regions. 

..."
https://footballtoday.news/features/long-read-unpacking-the-metrics-in-the-a-league-expansion-decision
https://footballtoday.news/features/long-read-unpacking-the-metrics-in-the-a-league-expansion-decision

It doesn't have data for the west unfortunately.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Gyfox - 19 Nov 2019 4:41 PM

This is the details from the Deloitte report:-

"Perhaps the most telling set of numbers in the Deloitte data are those that look at the impact of the six shortlisted bids on the existing A-League clubs. 

The Deloitte data looked at the number of existing A-League clubs members in each of the expansion bid geographic regions. 

..."

It doesn't have data for the west unfortunately.

I'd say that south/south east data covers a big chunk of the eastern suburbs. Then you would have another 30% in the northern suburbs and another 30% in the western suburbs (give or take a percent or two). Like I said, it would be fairly evenly spread for both MV and MC.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

That can’t be correct SFC have told us we can’t have Southern Expansion because 76% of their fans come from that region. Not 21%. I don’t get out of bed for 21%
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Somers Street isn’t going to work. PT is terrible to that ground and it is does next to nothing to help activate the areas that it wants to tap into in the future.

Geelong and Ballarat they are largely stuck with now until they pull their finger out and get the stadium built in Tarneit.

The last thing they need now is this talk of moving away from Geelong at such an early stage when they need all the support they can get.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search