Aus V NZ First Test

Aus V NZ First Test

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 11:38 AM
Doesn't change, a fast aggressive guy can succeed in Australia with stuff all discipline.

I agree. All he needs is a fast track.. which we have.. plenty of bounce..which we have.. and an aggressive nature.. which we have. Those three you mention certainly will not win any awards for accuracy but they can rip thru a batting lineup more ferociously than the disciplined bowler can do.

I've just seen Meredith bowl more effectively with a reduced run up and  decreasing his pace against South A in the second dig. 

From watching Ferguson in the WC I'm not sure he has anything more than Meredith has, with vastly reduced stamina and an action that takes a lot out of him.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 11:38 AM
Doesn't change, a fast aggressive guy can succeed in Australia with stuff all discipline.

I agree. All he needs is a fast track.. which we have.. plenty of bounce..which we have.. and an aggressive nature.. which we have. Those three you mention certainly will not win any awards for accuracy but they can rip thru a batting lineup with ferocity over what the disciplined bowler can do.

Yeah - the low SR enforcer... they leak runs, but they get wickets, often in batches...

This is why when Starc is spraying it around, people like Warne and M Waugh are telling him to be aggressive, bowl fast and short, bowl some yorkers, and mimic Mitch J. Tommo was the original I saw.

I think height helps too, Tommo had the extra pace that was just insanely fast. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 8:59 AM
ThingyBob - 12 Dec 2019 1:41 AM

I will be looking for that big floppy hat Bobbie. What color.

I have a pair of Havanese.. one male (Bubbles) one female (Bonnie) She is the baby. Pity I cant post their pics here.

Nawww they sound adorable. I have a rescue from Carnarvon - breed unknown. Possibly a staffy/kelpie/ridgeback.
It's a straw hat and I'll be wearing a bone coloured long sleeved shirt. However, I've just read that they'll be opening up the top-tiers in the shade to those whose seats are in the direct sun, so I might take them up on that offer! I'll also be hanging out in members for a while with a cricket mate, in a civilised airconditioned room somewhere...however no doubt I won't be able to resist sitting in my ringside seat for at least some of the day to get my $80 worth and perhaps even do some heckling...
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Keyboard Warrior - 12 Dec 2019 11:32 AM
baggygreenmania - 11 Dec 2019 9:01 AM

We have a less than established batting line up too.

I'm worried the Kiwis are going to beat us.

Good point KW. Whereas the BCs do have an established lineup.. so important as they go into the series confident with their personnel. Kinda negates any home ground/town advantage we may have. Still the Kiwis face sweltering temps.. not fun batting or bowling in those when you are unfamiliar with them.
It will be a closer series than 3-0 to Australia some on my other forum are saying. One thing is certain Aussie has to avoid not batting in the difficult Perth dusk period otherwise with the Kiwis superior swing bowling pair we may find ourselves one down come Monday nite.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

ThingyBob - 12 Dec 2019 11:50 AM
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 8:59 AM

Nawww they sound adorable. I have a rescue from Carnarvon - breed unknown. Possibly a staffy/kelpie/ridgeback.
It's a straw hat and I'll be wearing a bone coloured long sleeved shirt. However, I've just read that they'll be opening up the top-tiers in the shade to those whose seats are in the direct sun, so I might take them up on that offer! I'll also be hanging out in members for a while with a cricket mate, in a civilised airconditioned room somewhere...however no doubt I won't be able to resist sitting in my ringside seat for at least some of the day to get my $80 worth and perhaps even do some heckling...

I'll keep eye out for you then near the scoreboard. C'mon Bobbie you aint a heckler are you. Cant take you any place:P
Aicon room sounds ideal out of those sweltering temps. Enjoy yourself while we peasants are slumming it at home.;) 

Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 12:06 PM
ThingyBob - 12 Dec 2019 11:50 AM

I'll keep eye out for you then near the scoreboard. C'mon Bobbie you aint a heckler are you. Cant take you any place:P
Aicon room sounds ideal out of those sweltering temps. Enjoy yourself while we peasants are slumming it at home. 

I dont normally get this excited about a test series. There is just something special for me about my Blackcaps playing in England or Australia. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 10:15 AM
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 8:55 AM

People are free to disagree with me - and I enjoy rigorous debate. 

Flyslip is simply someone I would rather not converse with. 

He uses endless sophistry and fallacial reasoning that I cannot be bothered engaging with. 

If you want an example: I said discipline is not needed for those who are fast and aggressive (short pitch and yorkers etc), and gave 3 examples of fast Aussie bowlers who had no discipline. He then strawman's that to only pace is needed, and then points out that 3 fast bowlers failed in Aus. So what? Jo Angel failed in Aus too. It does not change that the 3 I named had no discipline, and have achieved results in Australia. Now if he wanted to say, the best in Australia in recent times, Lillee, McGrath, and Hadlee were ultra discplined and accurate, and had far better results than Mitch, Thommo and Starc, that would be fine and fair. But it doesn't change my original point. At all. He would be making a new point. Just like he could with McGrath, who finished quite slow, to which my counter would be his height. But again, this would be a new point. And a new exception. Everyone knows McGrath was a tall human metronome. He is an exception, not the rule, with his low pace, but he still had his height. Look at your selection history, S Clarke was dropped for no pace - couldn't be more accurate. Bollinger also dropped for going slow. Sidds since dropping in pace - gone. Even then - the more modern metronome Vernon Philander with his less height, has not done as well in Aus as he would like. Don't think S Pollock - despite his accuracy didn't do well in Australia at all averaging 34+. But these are all new points. Doesn't change, a fast aggressive guy can succeed in Australia with stuff all discipline.

SA last 3 attacks, and India's had pace. Englands and NZ in 2015 did not - and got smashed all too often.

And tbh, I find Flyslips declaration arguments even worse. As for the bouncer argument for Burns and Smith's score, either he didnt watch the game - or just assumed Wagner had been doing in his original spells. Wagner didn't. He started doing it much much later in the innings. So again, this is sophistry. Did flyslip intend to do it? Or is he just ignorant? I don't know and I don't care.

I have better things to do than argue with people who repeatedly use sophistry either intentionally or non-intentionally. 

I'll happily debate with you, Dec, Mike, or most other people. Flyslip - I am putting a line through at this point.

In another sport I've played at a high level and have semi- pro/pro coaching accreditation. Sometimes that knowledge extrapolates to cricket, but essentially I am a just a cricket fan with no great insights into the sport.

Having said this, I love people with a much greater knowledge of  cricket providing technical analysis of  cricketers  and scenarios  where I have little knowledge.

I don't know whether you or Flyslip have more knowledge than the other , but you both waste energy trying to claim you are right. It is the internet. State your opinions, particularly the technical analyses of players, then move on, is the best policy.  

In another sport I know I sometimes get frustrated with people who are very opinionated, but  when it gets down to it,  are clueless. This is particularly  frustrating when many share the same view lacking insight, which is blatantly obvious to professionally trained coaches in that sport. At the same time they have every right to publicly demonstrate  they are clueless.

You may not realise it, Paddles, but we have two pretty high level former and current cricketers, who post sporadically on IS. They are quite diffident about sharing that knowledge unless asked to expound.

I look forward to more 'civil' discussions between you and Flyslip. Over the course of your polemics, I've gained new knowledge. I'm sure others have too. Long may they continue with less acrimony.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 12:10 PM
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 12:06 PM

I dont normally get this excited about a test series. There is just something special for me about my Blackcaps playing in England or Australia. 

I just wish the temperature was in the mid 20s and more conducive to playing cricket.

I have a soft sport for NZ. I love visiting your country. I also have quite a few Kiwi friends I met working overseas.

On another level, your current government and PM have many admirers here, and show our current Aus government up.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 12 Dec 2019 12:33 PM
Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 10:15 AM

In another sport I've played at a high level and have semi- pro/pro coaching accreditation. Sometimes that knowledge extrapolates to cricket, but essentially I am a just a cricket fan with no great insights into the sport.

Having said this, I love people with a much greater knowledge of  cricket providing technical analysis of  cricketers  and scenarios  where I have little knowledge.

I don't know whether you or Flyslip have more knowledge than the other , but you both waste energy trying to claim you are right. It is the internet. State your opinions, particularly the technical analyses of players, then move on, is the best policy.  

In another sport I know I sometimes get frustrated with people who are very opinionated, but  when it gets down to it,  are clueless. This is particularly  frustrating when many share the same view lacking insight, which is blatantly obvious to professionally trained coaches in that sport. At the same time they have every right to publicly demonstrate  they are clueless.

You may not realise it, Paddles, but we have two pretty high level former and current cricketers, who post sporadically on IS. They are quite diffident about sharing that knowledge unless asked to expound.

I look forward to more 'civil' discussions between you and Flyslip. Over the course of your polemics, I've gained new knowledge. I'm sure others have too. Long may they continue with less acrimony.

Dec, with all due respect, I'm not one of your students. I do not wish to talk to Flyslip, at all or ever. It is due to his sophistry, intentional or not. I just have no wish to engage with someone who uses sophistry. Its my personal choice. I have no need to prove I am right against someone uses sophistry, you are quite mistaken. Proving another uses sophistry doesn't prove that I am right, it simply proves they're not right for the reasons they states, as a point of logic anyway.

But I would rather simply not talk to sophistry artists on the intermet at all. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles I think DC is perhaps giving you a subtle nudge about forum behavior thru his capacity as a senior member (moderator) of this forum.

Is what I am hearing true..that Boult has been ruled unfit?
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 12:46 PM
Paddles I think DC is perhaps giving you a subtle nudge about forum behavior thru his capacity as a senior member (moderator) of this forum.

Is what I am hearing true..that Boult has been ruled unfit?

DC isn't a moderator here as I understand it.  And his nudge will be entirely and politely ignored. I don't want to talk Flyslip ever. Its really that simple for me.

Boult could be out, he is 50/50.

What's the countdown to the start? I wanna make sure I see the first ball bowled. Found it - just under 3 hours.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 12:57 PM
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 12:46 PM

DC isn't a moderator here as I understand it.  And his nudge will be entirely and politely ignored. I don't want to talk Flyslip ever. Its really that simple for me.

Boult could be out, he is 50/50.

What's the countdown to the start? I wanna make sure I see the first ball bowled.

4pm WA time. You will have to work out Kiwi time from that.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 1:11 PM
Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 12:57 PM

4pm WA time. You will have to work out Kiwi time from that.

Don't you mean 4pm NSW time?
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Boult is officially ruled out.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 1:15 PM
baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 1:11 PM

Don't you mean 4pm NSW time?

Sorry mate yeh Sydney time. 1pm WA time.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 1:58 PM
Boult is officially ruled out.

Huge loss. Who is in his place.. Ferguson?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Less than an hour now. they will have the toss soon. This will be even more vital than normal I feel.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 12 Dec 2019 2:13 PM
Paddles - 12 Dec 2019 1:58 PM

Huge loss. Who is in his place.. Ferguson?

I think Ferg was playing regardless tbh. Bond was screaming for an all seamer attack int he media, and Smith was supporting him. They were both saying Ferg has to play.

What you don't know is Bond is regular contracted coach for NZ when not doing BBL and IPL. He is part of the quasi team management, and Smith is very very close to the team. 

Santner I think is saved by Boult's injury. Maybe Southee. But Santner I think is saved.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Burns has been lucky. 

Southee has beaten him outside the edge and Ferguson has caused outside edges. 

Kiwis are 0-18 of 5 overs. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Ferguson is pretty sharp just bowling a delivery at 147kph. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star

Good line and length from Southee. 

He is putting Burns under pressure. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Ferguson is already bowling a few loose balls at lightning speed. 

Hopefully, he can sustain this speed later in the day. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

The outfield looks fast after a few fours have been struck. 
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

Keyboard Warrior - 12 Dec 2019 4:31 PM
Good line and length from Southee. 

He is putting Burns under pressure. 

From where I’m sitting, Burns doesn’t seem to be using his feet or picking up on length. Warner on the other hand, is timing the pace of Ferguson beautifully. Southee lost the plot a few mins ago and hurled the ball down at the batsman - umpires had to have a word. Body language of NZ isn’t very positive tbh - they look fed up already. Probably not thrilled to be standing out in the field all day. The pitch looks lovely - even and sprinkling of green. Don’t know what it looked like on tv.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Wagner pitching the ball up and swinging it into the right hander. 

De Groundhomme is already bowling too. 
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

Decentric - 12 Dec 2019 4:49 PM
Wagner pitching the ball up and swinging it into the right hander. 

De Groundhomme is already bowling too. 

Burns keeps getting stuck on the crease. Move your feet, mate!
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

ThingyBob - 12 Dec 2019 4:54 PM
Decentric - 12 Dec 2019 4:49 PM

Burns keeps getting stuck on the crease. Move your feet, mate!

Burns out LBW to de Grandhomme - could see that coming a mile off 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

De Grandhomme gets Burns LBW with a pitched up right hand bowler’s outswinger. 

I wasn’t sure Burns ever looked settled in. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

ThingyBob - 12 Dec 2019 4:58 PM
ThingyBob - 12 Dec 2019 4:54 PM

Burns out LBW to de Grandhomme - could see that coming a mile off 

Are you sitting behind the wicket, TB? 

DRS showed Not Out! Missed leg! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Correction, DG’s ball nipped to off after hitting the pitch. It wasn’t an outswinger. 

I didn’t notice his feet moving slowly, but now you’ve identified it, Warner’s feet are moving quickly. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search