FFA CEO James Johnson | 'Let's put football first'

FFA CEO James Johnson | 'Let's put football first'

Author
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The policies and practices in effect for the last 10 years got us to where we are now.  Stagnant football at an unsustainable cost in a top down model.

Those who absolve Lowy/Gallop of all responsibility for the current state of the game (or even the pre-Covid19 state of the game) are the same types who would credit Trump with all of the economic successes in the USA prior to Covid19.

Johnson, many will hate to hear, is a believer in promotion and relegation - he can't rush it in because it has to be done in a way which doesn't disadvantage license holders.  It will happen though - and I look forward to the tears from certain people when it does.
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Benjamin - 15 May 2020 4:02 PM
The policies and practices in effect for the last 10 years got us to where we are now.  Stagnant football at an unsustainable cost in a top down model.

Those who absolve Lowy/Gallop of all responsibility for the current state of the game (or even the pre-Covid19 state of the game) are the same types who would credit Trump with all of the economic successes in the USA prior to Covid19.

Johnson, many will hate to hear, is a believer in promotion and relegation - he can't rush it in because it has to be done in a way which doesn't disadvantage license holders.  It will happen though - and I look forward to the tears from certain people when it does.

Paulc, I think, is another moniker for libel.  Oversimplificationand obfuscation is his game.
saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)

paulc - 15 May 2020 7:42 AM
Waz - 14 May 2020 5:51 PM

The guidance under Lowy you referred to started in 2005 and not 5 years ago. Half a million increase in attendance.

You do realise there was more than one Lowy? Two different reigns that left two different legacies
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Benjamin - 15 May 2020 4:02 PM

And those license holders are now more powerful than ever.
Which is precisely why I said earlier, I don't expect anything to change.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/a-league-is-in-great-hands!774219

Wow now slater is giving Johnson praise.

Considering-
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/robbie-slater-new-chief-james-johnson-starts-with-a-whimper-when-the-game-needed-a-bang/news-story/cafcd83efee89e48691eb3a8f220d98f

“Robbie Slater: New chief James Johnson starts with a whimper when the game needed a bang”

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

JJ's softly softly lets unite first and move forward as one approach, which means he has had to do a lot of listening &  appears to be winning over many.

I spoke to a very senior  Football person and he said his big appeal is he does not have a side i.e clubs or FFA or PFA, he wants wants best for Football within the parameters he has set and simply by not taking sides and having a plan that makes sense he has gained the trust that was so so so so so lacking when Gallop & Lowy were in charge.  
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

So Slater is saying “The A League is in good hands under the control of the FFA CEO”

Funny that, because if the clubs were running things JJ wouldn’t be involved. 

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Waz - 17 May 2020 2:56 PM

So Slater is saying “The A League is in good hands under the control of the FFA CEO”

Funny that, because if the clubs were running things JJ wouldn’t be involved. 

Waz

RE the talked about 7 year deal... wonders aloud will it be signed by FFA or iAL... I suspect FFA on behalf of iAL ... but if FFA for FFA control then all hell will break loose... 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

“...Meanwhile the governance process that sparked years of upheaval has still to be resolved and the A-League yet to decouple from FFA almost 12 months since recommendations were approved for an alternative operating model for the professional leagues.

Despite this dystopian scene there isn’t the whiff of panic that has accompanied similar pinch points in Australian football’s chequered past. For now at least, there is a working alignment between administrators, clubs and players about the way forward. Little is leaking from confidential negotiations. Dissenting voices are not speaking out loudly. Collective self-interest appears to be having the desired effect.

Behind the scenes, much of the credit for the consensus is being directed towards FFA chief executive James Johnson. Despite being in post just six months he is earning praise for steering the governing body through the crisis while coordinating the heavyweights of the professional game. As previous football administrators would be only too quick to attest, that is no mean feat. His leadership was considered crucial in securing the most recent $12m tranche of broadcast money, a sum that arrived late and was feared may never be released.

Johnson’s honeymoon period has him in the public’s good books too, for the time being. Already in the black for being a “football person”, the announcement at the end of April of the Starting XI advisory panel that belatedly brings Socceroo legend Mark Viduka back into the fold generated a truckload of goodwill just as lockdown threatened to spiral into endless online handwringing. It also demonstrated the current iteration of FFA was alert to open PR goals, all the while keeping rubberneckers at arm’s length from the main event.

As that main event progresses and plans for all eventualities are modelled there remains confidence at the top of the game, however the dice may fall. This is enabled in part by the sense of libelation accompanying the widely acknowledged need for a system reboot. With such a mindset an emergency can provide fertile ground for change. Or, as Rahm Emanuel, White House Chief of Staff to Barack Obama, put it: “You never let a serious crisis go to waste… it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before....”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/17/no-a-league-grand-final-no-hype-no-football-at-all-but-also-no-despair

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Midfielder - 17 May 2020 3:19 PM
Waz - 17 May 2020 2:56 PM

Waz

RE the talked about 7 year deal... wonders aloud will it be signed by FFA or iAL... I suspect FFA on behalf of iAL ... but if FFA for FFA control then all hell will break loose... 

“Meanwhile the governance process that sparked years of upheaval has still to be resolved and the A-League yet to decouple from FFA almost 12 months since recommendations were approved for an alternative operating model for the professional leagues”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/17/no-a-league-grand-final-no-hype-no-football-at-all-but-also-no-despair

all reports say the FFA has control and while it dies it has a fiduciary duty to look after the FFA, not the club owners (there’s rumours circulating that the FFA are not passing the fox money to the clubs - why?) 

but I think the relationship between FFA and AL is in good shape, unlike with Gallop. So if a 7 year deal is signed that would be the point of control being transferred imo .... if the FFA sign a new contract that extends their control did 7 years there’ll be hell to pay. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

“Little is leaking from confidential negotiations.”

must be tough for DB to go and find stories instead of being a PR branch for FFA.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

It seems to me that if previously they hadn't passed full control because of the risk of losing sponsors and the Fox deal...well...

1.  the sponsors have already walked, so that's no longer a risk
2.  if they agree a new deal with Fox at half the previous valuation, well, that's no longer a risk either.

In other words, it won't matter if the clubs take full control, all the previous fears have come to pass, there's nothing left to fear, there's no longer  a reason not to pass on control (unless the FFA are angling for a greater slice of the pie before they pass on control).

con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

fair conversation 

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=779439
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

conm - 17 Jan 2021 8:11 AM

Yes it was however about the NSD...........we will have “discussions” about it LOL.

I guess it’s marginally better than being “theoretical”

In a resort somewhere

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

paulc - 17 Jan 2021 9:54 AM

Yes it was however about the NSD...........we will have “discussions” about it LOL.

All those other discussions since 2005 were just preliminary discussions; THIS will be the discussion that changes everything ... or not. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

clockwork orange - 17 Jan 2021 11:57 AM

All those other discussions since 2005 were just preliminary discussions; THIS will be the discussion that changes everything ... or not. 

Our saviour might get around to it one day...... or not.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

His reply is in line with the AAFC when he said maybe 2022 or if not soon after. AAFC said it would run in line with the A-League 2022 if it was a summer league or 2023 if it was a winter league.   
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Look fwd to the first match of the Second Division in 2023 season, hopefully a double header. South Melbourne vs Sydney Olympic & Sydney Utd vs Melbourne Knights.
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
paulc
paulc
Legend

soccerfoo - 17 Jan 2021 11:04 PM
Look fwd to the first match of the Second Division in 2023 season, hopefully a double header. South Melbourne vs Sydney Olympic & Sydney Utd vs Melbourne Knights.

Back to the future. 

In a resort somewhere

n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Interesting comments from Simon Hill...

"Yes, other sports had the same issues but none were brought to the brink like football where only some smart manoeuvring by James Johnson wrong footed the broadcaster and saved the game from oblivion. Make no mistake, they wanted out."

paulc
paulc
Legend

n i k o - 27 Jan 2021 12:00 AM
Interesting comments from Simon Hill...

"Yes, other sports had the same issues but none were brought to the brink like football where only some smart manoeuvring by James Johnson wrong footed the broadcaster and saved the game from oblivion. Make no mistake, they wanted out."

I'm more concerned that Hill implied (and I have no reason not to believe him based what we've seen, or rather not seen, on Foxsport) that Fox is suppressing football like C7 did.

That is a massive statement and a massive concern to the clubs and FFA.

JJ needs to seriously take this on board and cut the umbilical cord with Fox.

In a resort somewhere

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

paulc - 27 Jan 2021 2:43 PM
n i k o - 27 Jan 2021 12:00 AM

I'm more concerned that Hill implied (and I have no reason not to believe him based what we've seen, or rather not seen, on Foxsport) that Fox is suppressing football like C7 did.

That is a massive statement and a massive concern to the clubs and FFA.

JJ needs to seriously take this on board and cut the umbilical cord with Fox.

I don't think it's up to him/FA anymore. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the next broadcast deal will be negotiated and decided by the APL.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search