Coronavirus Megathread

Coronavirus Megathread

Author
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I still think the reaction by the NSW Government in shutting down Bluesfest, was quite contained and targeted. It wasn't a State-wide shutdown, but something focused on a region which they had some unknowns.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Burztur - 4 Apr 2021 4:54 PM
I still think the reaction by the NSW Government in shutting down Bluesfest, was quite contained and targeted. It wasn't a State-wide shutdown, but something focused on a region which they had some unknowns.

Definitely the right call at the time. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Burztur - 4 Apr 2021 4:54 PM

I'm sure the fact that it was in the anti-vax capital of Australia weighed on the experts' decision. Much more chance of people signing in for contact tracing and obeying social distancing rules at a sporting event in Melbourne than a music festival in Byron.
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

More spin that we "don't need mass vaccination sites because because we are rolling out the system effectively"
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/politics/australian-politics/2021/04/06/mass-vacination-australia/
The truth is that we don't have the supply yet to do it, why not be honest about it? 
The only way we're going to get the sort of numbers vaccinated we need will be by using this sort of methods. SA is already using the Wayville showgrounds to mass vaccinate emergency service workers as part of phase 1B so its clearly going to be part of the strategy.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Scott Morrison....'I'm not blaming the EU"...then goes on for ten minutes blaming the EU.

Interesting the EU has come out and said they haven't blocked the doses

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

tsf - 7 Apr 2021 10:25 AM
Scott Morrison....'I'm not blaming the EU"...then goes on for ten minutes blaming the EU.

Interesting the EU has come out and said they haven't blocked the doses

The problem is, he can say anything and get away with it. 
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

"front of the queue"
Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

My new boss just got a pfizer shot on the weekend because his wife is a nurse in Canberra. He is 44, no health issues and no reason to jump the queue. I guess this is probably happening everywhere around the country but when stories like this start appearing in the news, the shit will hit the fan politically.

One of the experts in the ABC news today saying we wont open our borders now til May-June next year. Yet I can see people being vaccinated this year like my boss being able to travel o/s when he wants with a vaccine passport and no HQ on the way home.  Am I just jealous or do others think this is going to cause problems.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-12/victoria-pauses-covid-19-astrazeneca-rollout-vaccine/100062620

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Podiacide - 12 Apr 2021 2:37 PM
My new boss just got a pfizer shot on the weekend because his wife is a nurse in Canberra. He is 44, no health issues and no reason to jump the queue. I guess this is probably happening everywhere around the country but when stories like this start appearing in the news, the shit will hit the fan politically.

One of the experts in the ABC news today saying we wont open our borders now til May-June next year. Yet I can see people being vaccinated this year like my boss being able to travel o/s when he wants with a vaccine passport and no HQ on the way home.  Am I just jealous or do others think this is going to cause problems.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-12/victoria-pauses-covid-19-astrazeneca-rollout-vaccine/100062620

Yeah family of health officials will get vacced as well.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Partner visited a colleague yesterday and was surprised to learn she has been vaccinated. This is a 25 year old German woman who is completely healthy but her pregnant friend was allowed to nominate two other people regardless of status to get vaccinated. I feel the sooner anyone and everyone gets it the better we'll mostly be. I do wish Germany had targeted the 20-50 age bracket with 30% of the available vaccines to balance it out a bit.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Old mate on the radio this morning. 'We're relatively unaffected, we don't need to hurry, what's the rush etc etc'.

Ask the people at the Byron Bay Bluefest or the next event or lockdown why we need to hurry up and get our finger pulled out.

I was prepared to give Scomo the benefit of the doubt but my patience is wearing out.

This other flog on the radio today 'nobody would want the Russian vaccine'.  And exactly why mate?  If it's safe, and our TGA passes it and they can get it here quicker than the Pfizer and AZ one then who gives a shit.  By all accounts it's actually better than both the Pfizer and AZ one. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 12 Apr 2021 4:08 PM

-PB

There's also the case that because the vaccine is being distributed in multi-dose vials and that once they've been taken out of cold storage they have to be used, if there's any left over they're supposed to give it to whomever is available to prevent wastage.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Munrubenmuz - 12 Apr 2021 5:12 PM
Old mate on the radio this morning. 'We're relatively unaffected, we don't need to hurry, what's the rush etc etc'.

Ask the people at the Byron Bay Bluefest or the next event or lockdown why we need to hurry up and get our finger pulled out.

I was prepared to give Scomo the benefit of the doubt but my patience is wearing out.

This other flog on the radio today 'nobody would want the Russian vaccine'.  And exactly why mate?  If it's safe, and our TGA passes it and they can get it here quicker than the Pfizer and AZ one then who gives a shit.  By all accounts it's actually better than both the Pfizer and AZ one. 
Not better than the Pfizer one but it's fine. I'd take it too if it went through TGA approvals. 
My sister lives in the UAE and has had one of the Chinese vaccines, no issues with that one either.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Our neighbour who both my wife and i have know for 20 years,  first 10 was mutual friendship,  she is 33, no health issues,  no family with health issues, she doesn't, nor does any of her family work in health care.  She got a pfizer jab a week ago. 
She just got a call one day to get it and there you go. Very strange, she didn't even think to question it at the time because last few weeks had been so confusing as to who's turn it was. 

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 12 Apr 2021 4:08 PM

-PB

My son's wife is a nurse. she has had the vaccine - he hasn't. One of my daughters is a nurse, no idea when she is likely to get it.       
bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

Hey there's a surprise. A 3 day lockdown and masks to combat a single case. Followed no doubt by 11 days of mask wearing to cap off the 14 day cycle

It seems Australia is never going to move beyond this tokenistic template response
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Moderna announcing that they've signed up to send Australia 25 million doses, with 10m to come this year and the rest next year.

Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

bluebird2 - 23 Apr 2021 4:54 PM
Hey there's a surprise. A 3 day lockdown and masks to combat a single case. Followed no doubt by 11 days of mask wearing to cap off the 14 day cycle

It seems Australia is never going to move beyond this tokenistic template response

The tokenistic response that has limited deaths and allowed us as an economy to return to normality much quicker than most other places. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

paladisious - 13 May 2021 4:56 AM
Moderna announcing that they've signed up to send Australia 25 million doses, with 10m to come this year and the rest next year.

Getting mine next week.  Had to wait 2 weeks after getting the flu shot.  AZ baby.

If I don't post after the 25th May then put me up in the RIP thread.

Member since 2008.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 17 May 2021 6:55 PM

Getting mine next week.  Had to wait 2 weeks after getting the flu shot.  AZ baby.

My Mrs got the AZ a month ago and waiting for 2nd jab... you'll be fine... sore arm for a day or so apparently and that's it....
Muz
Muz
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2021 10:19 PM

My Mrs got the AZ a month ago and waiting for 2nd jab... you'll be fine... sore arm for a day or so apparently and that's it....

Bloke I play soccer with said he got it in the morning and they said by 10 o'clock he'd be feeling shithouse. He said he had fevers and chills but just pumped ibrofuren and Panadol and was ok.

Member since 2008.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 17 May 2021 10:35 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2021 10:19 PM

Bloke I play soccer with said he got it in the morning and they said by 10 o'clock he'd be feeling shithouse. He said he had fevers and chills but just pumped ibrofuren and Panadol and was ok.

It seems the older you are the less severe the flu like symptoms, or at least that's been the report back from my wife's work. Over 90% of the lab have had the jab voluntarily and only a couple of ladies in their late 20s really had more than a day or two of feeling fluey...
bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star

zimbos_05 - 16 May 2021 4:27 PM
bluebird2 - 23 Apr 2021 4:54 PM

The tokenistic response that has limited deaths and allowed us as an economy to return to normality much quicker than most other places. 

Lol. Your response is just as tokenostic

Hotel quarantine with a well over 99.99% effectiveness rate has limited deaths and viral activity. Social distancing and contact tracing has done the rest. THere is no need for anything else

Whether the states overreact or not doesnt make a difference in the scheme of things. Lockodwn doesnt reverse transmission. If there were 15-20 cases uncovered during lockdown then there could be an arguement lockdown may have prevented it from being 50 or even 100. But when not a single case turns up outside of contacts already in isolation then its needless

If Australia doesnt outgrow this tokenistic response then some of the states are going to fall behind when international border open, particularly if some do and some dont
Muz
Muz
Legend

This story about Boris and his handling of the covid thing is amazing.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/uk-politics/boris-johnsons-former-chief-adviser-dominic-cummings-slams-him-in-parliamentary-hearing/news-story/be90c51f9253cee29e6b9e583bc06590

It still blows my mind that people are arguing against our response.

Member since 2008.

bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star

Munrubenmuz - 27 May 2021 8:29 AM
This story about Boris and his handling of the covid thing is amazing.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/uk-politics/boris-johnsons-former-chief-adviser-dominic-cummings-slams-him-in-parliamentary-hearing/news-story/be90c51f9253cee29e6b9e583bc06590

It still blows my mind that people are arguing against our response.

You dont understand the difference

Australia has quarantine at the shorelines when other countries dont. This means other countries have to deal with repeat infections. Wave after wave after wave after wave

The situation in Victoria is a single case. Just one. No more cases. No more infections. No more waves. When only 25% of people actually pass on the virus it means the situation is over pretty quickly

You cant compare our situation to other countries. Its not lockdowns that have saved us, its hotel quarantine. The same system people are trying to tear down

Australia's response is putting on socks, doing the chicken dance, and then putting on shoes.And then arguing thats what stopped them from stepping on a rusty nail

I looks like I am about to be given another 7 days to argue this point. Do you have that much time?
Muz
Muz
Legend

bluebird2 - 27 May 2021 9:12 AM
Munrubenmuz - 27 May 2021 8:29 AM

You dont understand the difference

Australia has quarantine at the shorelines when other countries dont. This means other countries have to deal with repeat infections. Wave after wave after wave after wave

The situation in Victoria is a single case. Just one. No more cases. No more infections. No more waves. When only 25% of people actually pass on the virus it means the situation is over pretty quickly

You cant compare our situation to other countries. Its not lockdowns that have saved us, its hotel quarantine. The same system people are trying to tear down

Australia's response is putting on socks, doing the chicken dance, and then putting on shoes.And then arguing thats what stopped them from stepping on a rusty nail

I looks like I am about to be given another 7 days to argue this point. Do you have that much time?

After reading the same thing you've written 1000 times you've probably noticed I never respond to you.

You keep raging while I'll be sit here in little ol NSW which clearly is showing the rest of Australia how things should be done.

PS got my AZ vaccine Tuesday.  To date not a single side effect except a slightly sore arm.  Not even a headache.  My cousin and her husband were sick for 3 days, my other cousin didn't have a single thing wrong with him.

Member since 2008.

bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star

Munrubenmuz - 27 May 2021 12:04 PM
bluebird2 - 27 May 2021 9:12 AM

You keep raging while I'll be sit here in little ol NSW which clearly is showing the rest of Australia how things should be done.

Then it shouldn't "blow your mind" why people argue against the responses we have seen here if you accept there is a standard that has been put in place that nobody else is following

The NSW model wouldnt work in the UK BTW. It is built on quarantine, compliance on minimal practices and a predictable small number of cases which can easily be contact traced
Muz
Muz
Legend

NZ's covid ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcIQATtAkS0&t=60s

..vs our shitshow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGeSm2-Qx4E&t=32s

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class

Hooray!
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Hope our Victorian friends are doing OK.  Shitty this has to keep happening to you.   
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search