Coronavirus Megathread

Coronavirus Megathread

Author
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Glory Recruit - 8 Oct 2021 1:49 AM
Had Pfizer first dose yesterday, Woke up in the middle of the night in a sweat, small head ache, burning sensation on my arm, mild neck and arm pain, and a weird tooth tingling sensation(some people on reddit have reported same thing?). I also had some chest pain on the right side but that might’ve been related to asthma or indigestion(which I had earlier after dinner). Had vivid dreams all night too. 

It was all pretty mild and I was able to get back to sleep without any meds. Woke up in the morning feeling fine and was good all day

Drink lots of tea & take the odd Panadol usually works. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yep thankfully the reactive symptoms don't last long but it varies for all.
water - panadol water all the best.
My wife felt like she had that fluey/temp reaction a week later after her 2nd shot for eg

Love Football

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Awkward: https://twitter.com/normanswan/status/1446592089433595908?t=HiYnWM1SdXM0WOwe-n5bHA&s=19
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Slightly unrelated but-

Planning to head over to the UK to see family during the Christmas break. Taking a look at flights online and it would appear that (aside from Qantas) Turkish Airlines and ETIHAD have flights operating. The concern is stopovers- taking a look at the UK gov sight I can't find any info on whether Istanbul and Abu Dhabi are classified as red zones or whether I'm fine stopping over in Turkey/ UAE/ Singapore to/ from the UK.

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 9 Oct 2021 1:41 PM
Slightly unrelated but-

Planning to head over to the UK to see family during the Christmas break. Taking a look at flights online and it would appear that (aside from Qantas) Turkish Airlines and ETIHAD have flights operating. The concern is stopovers- taking a look at the UK gov sight I can't find any info on whether Istanbul and Abu Dhabi are classified as red zones or whether I'm fine stopping over in Turkey/ UAE/ Singapore to/ from the UK.

Don't know about Turkey or Singapore but my sister lives in Abu Dhabi and is going to the UK later this year. Pretty sure they're fine.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

CH, your travel agent should be able to inform you everything and I wish you good luck.
More so on price.
My biz partner and I were checking up getting to a conference we normally attend in Vegas late Oct/early Nov.
We checked up with our travel agent early last week, we're Qantas members, it was too early being able to lock things in for our dates flight not annouced as yet BUT she quoted could be capped @ 15 seats ????!!!!
She said more info is to come in the next week or so from Qantas.
I expect pricing is going to damn high !

Good luck, I'll be curious what you find out from ETIHAD for eg......stop over would be Dubai I would have thought.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

and we've got some of our life back today here in Sydney from today !

Love Football

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

LFC. - 11 Oct 2021 9:27 AM
CH, your travel agent should be able to inform you everything and I wish you good luck.
More so on price.
My biz partner and I were checking up getting to a conference we normally attend in Vegas late Oct/early Nov.
We checked up with our travel agent early last week, we're Qantas members, it was too early being able to lock things in for our dates flight not annouced as yet BUT she quoted could be capped @ 15 seats ????!!!!

Good luck, I'll be curious what you find out from ETIHAD for eg......stop over would be Dubai I would have thought.

15 seats for an entire flight? That's gonna be expensive.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

She wasn't very clear but she knows we normally fly economy so I'm guessing in that section.
We'll find out more next week hopefully, yet online I see soem reasonable pricing but you can't fix anything to date so I'd say they are just click bait as they say :)

Love Football

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

LFC. - 11 Oct 2021 9:27 AM
More so on price.

Emirates is Dubai. Etihad is Abu Dhabi

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

thanks for correcting me, my error not remembering which oasis :)

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Thanks guys- all sorted. Flying with Turkish Air/ QANTAS and stopovers in Singapore (that rooftop airport bar is going to be STEAMING in December/ January) and Istanbul (WE WON IT 5 TIMES!) Curious if anybody knows whether they sell Camel Unfiltered cigarettes/ cartons at the Istanbul duty-free, because I might just pick up a carton en-route to the UK...

Going to be the first Festive Season I spend in the northern hemisphere, will be nice to watch EPL at a daylight hour too. 

My big gripe now is with the passport situation- mine was due to expire in February next year and the reasonable thing our government could've done is grant Australian citizens an extension on their passports (considering the vast majority of us haven't been able to use the things for 18 months at least). But of course to the LNP, $$$ is king. And I wouldn't be surprised (can't verify this) that Australia has the most expensive passports in the world?

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 11 Oct 2021 11:05 PM
Thanks guys- all sorted. Flying with Turkish Air/ QANTAS and stopovers in Singapore (that rooftop airport bar is going to be STEAMING in December/ January) and Istanbul (WE WON IT 5 TIMES!) Curious if anybody knows whether they sell Camel Unfiltered cigarettes/ cartons at the Istanbul duty-free, because I might just pick up a carton en-route to the UK...

Going to be the first Festive Season I spend in the northern hemisphere, will be nice to watch EPL at a daylight hour too. 

My big gripe now is with the passport situation- mine was due to expire in February next year and the reasonable thing our government could've done is grant Australian citizens an extension on their passports (considering the vast majority of us haven't been able to use the things for 18 months at least). But of course to the LNP, $$$ is king. And I wouldn't be surprised (can't verify this) that Australia has the most expensive passports in the world?

I watched Australia v Japan in 06 at that rooftop bar and yes..... it was dripping wet, stinking hot..... If anyone still sells Camels unfiltered its our Turkish friends......
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Camel Unfiltered cigarettes

Holy shit, I used to smoke those a very long time ago.  Pre marriage, pre kids, pre me being a solid citizen.  :D

In the soft pack of 20 as well, amazing flavour.   

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

haha CH, the perfect storm airport rooftop bar, ciggies/beers what more could you wish for, stopping @ INSTANBUL for the LFC memories :)
I'm sure as MSC mentions you'll have a smorgasboard of cigs to pick from lol
Jealous as ! mind you your far more game than me travelling already but good luck to you !
Enjoy the EPL with the northern chill BUT its all worth it having done it before, I'm sure you've checked on Anfield fixtures you lucky man whilst I'm watching at the usual ungodly hours.

Curious on your passport outcome, keep us informed.
By the way was the flight pricing acceptable ? and how many on the flight did they say ?

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

ErogenousZone - 12 Oct 2021 8:06 AM

Holy shit, I used to smoke those a very long time ago.  Pre marriage, pre kids, pre me being a solid citizen.  :D

In the soft pack of 20 as well, amazing flavour.   

You know what I'm talking about. Perfect compliment to a night on the drink, had to be careful not to take too big a drag or your head would spin like a top though!

Then Nicola f**king Roxon had to ruin it for Aussies, on top of our governments' ridiculous contraband laws....

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

LFC. - 12 Oct 2021 10:59 AM
haha CH, the perfect storm airport rooftop bar, ciggies/beers what more could you wish for, stopping @ INSTANBUL for the LFC memories :)
I'm sure as MSC mentions you'll have a smorgasboard of cigs to pick from lol
Jealous as ! mind you your far more game than me travelling already but good luck to you !
Enjoy the EPL with the northern chill BUT its all worth it having done it before, I'm sure you've checked on Anfield fixtures you lucky man whilst I'm watching at the usual ungodly hours.

Curious on your passport outcome, keep us informed.
By the way was the flight pricing acceptable ? and how many on the flight did they say ?

They didn't say how many people on the flight, got my flights return for $3.7k. 

I haven't looked into Anfield but I already see the fixture v Chelsea at the bridge is on the 3rd while I'm still over there so who knows? I'll be in the south of the UK during my stay so logistically it'd make more sense to look at the LFC away games than the ones at Anfield.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Good to see the poorer LGAs in Victoria like Greater Dandenong, Hume and Whyndam that I was worried about a few weeks ago overtaking the yuppie LGAs like Yarra, Port Phillip and Stonnington and getting into the high 80 and 90 plus percentages for first jabs, although City of Melbourne is still weirdly lagging at 70%, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Same deal in Sydney with LGAs like Campbelltown, Liverpool and Blacktown thankfully all in the 90s overtaking LGAs like North Sydney, Randwick and Bayside while City of Sydney is at 72%, lower than Byron Shire which is at 75%.

My knowledge of geography and the often obscure LGA names make it hard for me to judge the equity of the rollout in the rest of the country, but here's the stats: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/covid-19-vaccination-geographic-vaccination-rates-lga

Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

‘Byron Bay-type lifestylists’ blamed for low vax rates in inner-city Melbourne
By Chloe Booker and Cara Waters
October 8, 2021 — 7.15pm

Alternative medicine devotees and people shunning certain vaccine brands in suburbs such as Brunswick, Collingwood and St Kilda could be driving down vaccination rates in Melbourne’s inner-city.

The five Victorian local government areas with the lowest first dose vaccination rates are Melbourne (68.3), Yarra (72.5), Darebin (73.5), Port Phillip (74.5) and Moreland (75.2), according to data released by the federal government this week.

Statewide, 83.6 per cent of Victorians have had their first dose, while 54 per cent have had their second.

Dr Daryl Cheng, the medical lead at the Melbourne Vaccine Education Centre, said while access, low education, casual work and language barriers were behind earlier low vaccine rates in Melbourne’s outer suburbs, other issues were often at play in well-heeled inner-city areas.

“In the inner-north, in Fitzroy and Carlton, and [other hotspots] ... there are clusters of people who have an alternative belief system or are into alternative therapies, which may mean they have a very different approach to vaccination than the general population,” he said.

Yarra councillor Stephen Jolly said low vaccination rates in his municipality could not be blamed on poor people and migrants as it was overwhelmingly wealthy and educated compared to outer regions.

“City of Melbourne is last, Yarra is second last and other leftie, greenie, progressive heartlands of the professional middle class are near the bottom too,” he said.

“My theory is we have a relatively large cohort of Byron Bay-type lifestylists into alternate medicine who think they know better than the health professionals.

“They go to the gym every day, they have their decaf almond latte every morning, and they think they’re immune.”

Inner-city mayors defended their low vaccination rates, arguing that it was due to young populations.

“Three-quarters of our residents are under 40. That means they only became eligible for Pfizer in August,” Melbourne lord mayor Sally Capp said.

Melbourne is the youngest municipality in the state, while Yarra is seventh, Moreland is 10th, Darebin is 15th and Port Phillip is 16th.

The CBD (50-55 per cent), Carlton (40-45 per cent) and North Melbourne (50-55 per cent) had the lowest first-dose rates in the City of Melbourne, which is also the last in the state for double vaccination (38.4).

Cr Capp said the 2019 data was skewed due to the high numbers of international students who had left Melbourne since the start of the pandemic.

Demographer Glenn Capuano, from research firm Informed Decisions, said this was probably true and that Victoria’s total population had fallen by 43,000, with much of it coming from the inner-city.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/byron-bay-type-lifestylists-blamed-for-low-vax-rates-in-inner-city-melbourne-20211005-p58xbx.html

Much more in the article, I just pasted a few highlights here.
Edited
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

In better-ish news for NSW besides the reopening/cases and what I have been following is the number of hospitalisation has dropped a fair bit.

Today - 766 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 155 people in intensive care, 74 of whom require ventilation.
1st October - 1,055 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 210 people in intensive care, 104 of whom require ventilation
15th September - 1,241 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 234 people in intensive care, 108 of whom require ventilation

Still alot of people dying - 15th Sep - 254 deaths total.  Today - 500 deaths total - More than doubled in less than a month. 

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 12 Oct 2021 11:57 AM

I haven't looked into Anfield but I already see the fixture v Chelsea at the bridge is on the 3rd while I'm still over there so who knows? I'll be in the south of the UK during my stay so logistically it'd make more sense to look at the LFC away games than the ones at Anfield.

$3.7k is pretty good considering. 

Also getting up to Liverpool from the south isn't too bad. Can make it a day trip.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

paladisious - 12 Oct 2021 12:39 PM
Good to see the poorer LGAs in Victoria like Greater Dandenong, Hume and Whyndam that I was worried about a few weeks ago overtaking the yuppie LGAs like Yarra, Port Phillip and Stonnington and getting into the high 80 and 90 plus percentages for first jabs, although City of Melbourne is still weirdly lagging at 70%, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Same deal in Sydney with LGAs like Campbelltown, Liverpool and Blacktown thankfully all in the 90s overtaking LGAs like North Sydney, Randwick and Bayside while City of Sydney is at 72%, lower than Byron Shire which is at 75%.

My knowledge of geography and the often obscure LGA names make it hard for me to judge the equity of the rollout in the rest of the country, but here's the stats: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/covid-19-vaccination-geographic-vaccination-rates-lga

I reckon the CBD percentages are lower because people don't actually live there (could be overseas). They might be registered there, but are staying in other places, hence the slight drop. Also likely that a younger population living in the Cities.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

paladisious - 12 Oct 2021 12:46 PM
‘Byron Bay-type lifestylists’ blamed for low vax rates in inner-city Melbourne
By Chloe Booker and Cara Waters
October 8, 2021 — 7.15pm

Alternative medicine devotees and people shunning certain vaccine brands in suburbs such as Brunswick, Collingwood and St Kilda could be driving down vaccination rates in Melbourne’s inner-city.

The five Victorian local government areas with the lowest first dose vaccination rates are Melbourne (68.3), Yarra (72.5), Darebin (73.5), Port Phillip (74.5) and Moreland (75.2), according to data released by the federal government this week.

Statewide, 83.6 per cent of Victorians have had their first dose, while 54 per cent have had their second.

Dr Daryl Cheng, the medical lead at the Melbourne Vaccine Education Centre, said while access, low education, casual work and language barriers were behind earlier low vaccine rates in Melbourne’s outer suburbs, other issues were often at play in well-heeled inner-city areas.

“In the inner-north, in Fitzroy and Carlton, and [other hotspots] ... there are clusters of people who have an alternative belief system or are into alternative therapies, which may mean they have a very different approach to vaccination than the general population,” he said.

Yarra councillor Stephen Jolly said low vaccination rates in his municipality could not be blamed on poor people and migrants as it was overwhelmingly wealthy and educated compared to outer regions.

“City of Melbourne is last, Yarra is second last and other leftie, greenie, progressive heartlands of the professional middle class are near the bottom too,” he said.

“My theory is we have a relatively large cohort of Byron Bay-type lifestylists into alternate medicine who think they know better than the health professionals.

“They go to the gym every day, they have their decaf almond latte every morning, and they think they’re immune.”

Inner-city mayors defended their low vaccination rates, arguing that it was due to young populations.

“Three-quarters of our residents are under 40. That means they only became eligible for Pfizer in August,” Melbourne lord mayor Sally Capp said.

Melbourne is the youngest municipality in the state, while Yarra is seventh, Moreland is 10th, Darebin is 15th and Port Phillip is 16th.

The CBD (50-55 per cent), Carlton (40-45 per cent) and North Melbourne (50-55 per cent) had the lowest first-dose rates in the City of Melbourne, which is also the last in the state for double vaccination (38.4).

Cr Capp said the 2019 data was skewed due to the high numbers of international students who had left Melbourne since the start of the pandemic.

Demographer Glenn Capuano, from research firm Informed Decisions, said this was probably true and that Victoria’s total population had fallen by 43,000, with much of it coming from the inner-city.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/byron-bay-type-lifestylists-blamed-for-low-vax-rates-in-inner-city-melbourne-20211005-p58xbx.html

Much more in the article, I just pasted a few highlights here.

There ya go. Official excuse is age.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

ErogenousZone - 12 Oct 2021 1:01 PM
In better-ish news for NSW besides the reopening/cases and what I have been following is the number of hospitalisation has dropped a fair bit.

Today - 766 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 155 people in intensive care, 74 of whom require ventilation.
1st October - 1,055 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 210 people in intensive care, 104 of whom require ventilation
15th September - 1,241 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 234 people in intensive care, 108 of whom require ventilation

Still alot of people dying - 15th Sep - 254 deaths total.  Today - 500 deaths total - More than doubled in less than a month. 

We're trending down too. 360 new cases with 88k tests (which is above average for NSW).
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

not an overpriced flight done well.

Yes timing and location is the key - sadly whilst we were in London last trip the only LFC fixture whilst there was all the way up to Stoke or Toonville of all places - I was really considering hours train ride and back butbut logic came to mind and was dragged along to Spudz vs Chelski @ White Hart Lane.
Good luck an away game be great anyway.

be interesting how all the covid outcomes are by then there.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

good info fellas whats happening around our shores.
I wondered where Pala had been lately and here he appears.

CBD Sydney is many Clover Moore types and age comes into it, someone else mentioned elsewhere Melb CBD Bant followers, parrallels meet.

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

Burztur - 12 Oct 2021 1:48 PM

$3.7k is pretty good considering. 

Also getting up to Liverpool from the south isn't too bad. Can make it a day trip.

Yeah done it before- but by rail. This time (were I to do it) I'd probably drive. Might go check out the York rail museum as well, which I missed out on last time I was over. 

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

As a side note, I had an old friend in highschool-

These days he's one of those guys who has a whole bunch of tatts, sports a hipster beard, smokes rollies, lives the muso life and fancies himself as alternative yet has the most textbook centre-left, MSM-approved views on most things. 

Although I've lost touch with him since, I am guessing his Fb feed would be full of the most normie "Anybody who doesn't wear a mask everywhere and follow the talking points of the corporate/ media pre-approved Science!!! is a denier conspiracy theorist f**king idiot" updates.

What makes it interesting is that about a year or so ago he moved up to Byron Bay. 

I wonder what that cognitive dissonance is like...

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

[quote]
Captain Haddock - 12 Oct 2021 6:16 PM
These days he's one of those guys who has a whole bunch of tatts, sports a hipster beard, smokes rollies, lives the muso life and fancies himself as alternative yet has the most textbook centre-left, MSM-approved views on most things. 

https://babylonbee.com/news/counter-cultural-rebel-believes-everything-athletes-reporters-actors-ceos-believe     :D 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Burztur - 12 Oct 2021 1:51 PM
paladisious - 12 Oct 2021 12:46 PM

There ya go. Official excuse is age.

International students heading home seems to be a salient point. There were tens of thousands of them in apartments in the CBD, Carlton and the area pre-covid, I'm sure it's the same in Sydney, which could count for a lot of any discrepancy.
Edited
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search