GG Socceroos want ‘FFA TV’ streaming

GG Socceroos want ‘FFA TV’ streaming

Author
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos-greats-push-for-netflix-style-ffa-tv-streaming-service

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

this is brilliant.

the sooner they get rid of fox the better. fox and newscorp are cancers on anything they touch.

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I'd only pay if they made sure they didn't stream semi professional clubs.

I'm happy to see my money supporting a fully professional league or supporting grass roots, but there's no way I'd spend a cent of my money on supporting semi professional clubs.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 3 Jun 2020 8:06 PM

I'm happy to see my money supporting a fully professional league or supporting grass roots, but there's no way I'd spend a cent of my money on supporting semi professional clubs.

why?

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

This is just a weird mentality, let alone unhelpful. Do you boycott the FFA cup as well because there are scary semi pro teams in there?

Viennese Vuck

Edited
4 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

inala brah - 3 Jun 2020 7:22 PM
this is brilliant.

the sooner they get rid of fox the better. fox and newscorp are cancers on anything they touch.

If they get rid of Fox , who is going to pay the $67 million ? 
Are the so called GG geezers going to stump up some cash or is there something more sinister going on here between the GGs , SBS and Optus?

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

notarobot - 3 Jun 2020 11:11 PM

Are the so called GG geezers going to stump up some cash or is there something more sinister going on here between the GGs , SBS and Optus?

They said they want it with or without AL
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Lol its pretty clear that even fox don't want to pay squat, let alone 67m. No point pretending they are the only option if they everyone is going to offer far less for the next deal. 

Viennese Vuck

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

The GG business name, company name and website are owned by Craig Moore. 
itsourgame.com.au, a website that is "powered" by Football Supporters' Association (owned by Fair Play Publishing) owned by Bonita.
Both pop up around the same time.  You have two "independent groups" in conjunction with SBS agitating for a cut to the Fox deal. 
Throw in Optus' release of "traditional" Aus football related docos and hey presto.
Fox and Telstra dollars = evil.
Streaming/Optus = saviors of the game.

A move to Optus, or FFA producing their own content, may be a better outcome for all of football.  I don't know.   At the moment, there seems to be a whole stack of motherhood statements and very little (in the form of a business case) on how this strategy will deliver quantifiable value (and dollars) to Football. 

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

^ some interesting observations

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I honestly see this as a broadcast deal “of last resort” - the time to do this would be on a peak of popularity not at a time when people are disillusioned. 

But it looks as if The A-League is staying with FoxTel if comments from SFC are correct and a much reduced deal over an extended period looks likely, in the current economic climate that may not be a bad thing - the NRL agreeing to a $50m/year reduction for three years probably tells us where the market sits. 

Ignoring the question of production costs and who wears them, If a new deal can get most of the following it won’t be a bad thing:

- an independent A League contracting directly with media 
- a 7 year FoxTel deal worth $15m/year 
- the $5m/year Telstra payment time come to iAL not Fox
- An FTA deal where broadcaster/iAL determine which games, which days, and what times are broadcast ;and not Fox). 2 games/week could be worth $5m 
- international rights sold by iAL, currently worth $0 to clubs. 
- iAL has control over fixturing and expansion, not Fox 

Do that and we could have a new deal worth near $30m/year which is not far off what the clubs are getting now. They can survive on that. 

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Waz - 4 Jun 2020 8:51 AM
I honestly see this as a broadcast deal “of last resort” - the time to do this would be on a peak of popularity not at a time when people are disillusioned. 

But it looks as if The A-League is staying with FoxTel if comments from SFC are correct and a much reduced deal over an extended period looks likely, in the current economic climate that may not be a bad thing - the NRL agreeing to a $50m/year reduction for three years probably tells us where the market sits. 

Ignoring the question of production costs and who wears them, If a new deal can get most of the following it won’t be a bad thing:

- An FTA deal where broadcaster/iAL determine which games, which days, and what times are broadcast ;and not Fox). 2 games/week could be worth $5m 

Do that and we could have a new deal worth near $30m/year which is not far off what the clubs are getting now. They can survive on that. 

That seems like a fairly reasonable assessment.  Through in a couple more expansion teams (which means more content) and the numbers may nudge up a little. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

aok - 4 Jun 2020 7:06 AM
itsourgame.com.au, a website that is "powered" by Football Supporters' Association (owned by Fair Play Publishing) owned by Bonita.

i signed up to this and never receive any communication. then voila, i received an email this week (which I didn’t bother to read).

I can't support this. $15m would be less that the 7 year deal they did after season 1. its a 74% drop. 

If they wanna negotiate a reduced deal with fox, i can accept a 20%-25% drop with new criteria that benefits the AL when it comes to things such as fixturing, opportunity to do separate/independent negotiations with FTA and acceptance of the IAL running the AL. 

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Good summary of where it's likely to land.
But...at the figure of $30 mill, the production costs become important.
If the A-League wears them, then maximum cash flow drops to $25 mill (as an optimistic maximum), and that's spread across 12 clubs from next season (still, that's better than where it might have ended up).
This scenario also means the FFA is getting zero dollars, which is not realistic, and not desireable either.

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

I can see FFA testing the waters with a streaming service for a new second division and in the meantime strike a deal with Fox for the iHal.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

inala brah - 3 Jun 2020 9:33 PM

why?

The suggestion put forward is that every registration includes an additional fee that is used to pay to accomodate streaming.
I can see value in spending my money to support our national teams.
I can also see value in supporting our top tier professional league, as it is the representation of our sport in this country and the shop window for our young players and also I know the clubs are committed to football, not just chasing cash like semi-professional plastic NPL clubs. 
As a member of a real grassroots football club, I do not want to pay to support the elite semi professional social clubs with wealthy board members and their own income streams, when they don't even pay their players. Let them support themselves.

Edited
4 Years Ago by MarkfromCroydon
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The GG business name, company name and website are owned by Craig Moore. 

I mean, surely this one makes sense to you?

The Bonita thing is interesting in that she hasn't put her name visibly on the site - she probably feels she is still tarnished by the disgruntled ex-employee tag and won't be taken seriously but hiding  isn't a great look either.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

bettega - 4 Jun 2020 9:56 AM

Good summary of where it's likely to land.
But...at the figure of $30 mill, the production costs become important.
If the A-League wears them, then maximum cash flow drops to $25 mill (as an optimistic maximum), and that's spread across 12 clubs from next season (still, that's better than where it might have ended up).
This scenario also means the FFA is getting zero dollars, which is not realistic, and not desireable either.

If I remember under the independence agreement the FFA were guaranteed a cut of the tv deal so they’d get something from this, albeit less. Plus they’d still have the FFA Cup, Socceroos and Matilda’s friendlies to see on. 
aok
aok
Pro

Davide82 - 4 Jun 2020 11:06 AM

I mean, surely this one makes sense to you?

The Bonita thing is interesting in that she hasn't put her name visibly on the site - she probably feels she is still tarnished by the disgruntled ex-employee tag and won't be taken seriously but hiding  isn't a great look either.

I have no problem with people wanting to add their voice to the conversation. The more voices, the more chance we have of hearing from all sectors of the Football community.  I am concerned when individuals purport to represent a larger group and their communications read as if they were put together by the same copywriter/ad agency.  In that case, it makes me question the motivation behind some of the statements.  Is it what is best for Football, or is there another agenda at play? 

It would be no different if I found out that Robbie Slater or Mark Bosnich had registered a company called The Golden Socceroos and that Simon Hill was behind a site called TrueAussieFootballFans.  These groups both pop up at around the same time and issue similar comments saying that the true home for football was Fox.  Wouldn't it ring some alarm bells for you?  I know it would for me.

I just want the best media deal for Aus Football (ie the most dollars and the most reach) - I have no axe to grind with any particular broadcast platform or company and nor will I receive any monetary or other benefit  from whatever media model is chosen. Wherever it ends up, I will subscribe.  

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Yeah I understand.
I just meant that it makes sense for one of the GG group to be who registered the name.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 4 Jun 2020 10:16 AM
I can see FFA testing the waters with a streaming service for a new second division and in the meantime strike a deal with Fox for the iHal.

Considering that most NPL comp's in Australia already broadcast their own games either in full or highlights means it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.  
bettega
bettega
World Class

Waz - 4 Jun 2020 11:38 AM
bettega - 4 Jun 2020 9:56 AM

If I remember under the independence agreement the FFA were guaranteed a cut of the tv deal so they’d get something from this, albeit less. Plus they’d still have the FFA Cup, Socceroos and Matilda’s friendlies to see on. 

True, good points.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 4 Jun 2020 1:29 PM

Considering that most NPL comp's in Australia already broadcast their own games either in full or highlights means it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.  

Except they now want to add $25 to the rego fees so they can put a FFA logo on the streaming site

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro

AJF - 4 Jun 2020 1:54 PM

Except they now want to add $25 to the rego fees so they can put a FFA logo on the streaming site

That’s not how I read it. It was taking $25 of the existing fees
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Coverdale - 4 Jun 2020 2:32 PM

I read it that way too.  However, as most players don't pay $25 that gets to the FFA the $25 would have to come from state or club levies.  Shifting the cost down to the lower levels seems to be a theme in these proposals.  
AJF
AJF
Pro

Considering the current FFA junior fee is $14, an extra $11 will need to be found pls FFA would have to forgoe the $14 as well

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

AJF - 4 Jun 2020 2:48 PM

Considering the current FFA junior fee is $14, an extra $11 will need to be found pls FFA would have to forgoe the $14 as well

I think they are saying the State Federations should fund it.

"Alternatively, state federations may wish to contribute to underwriting the establishment of FFA TV from their reserves."

TBH I like the idea, Except if I choose not to buy it I should still be able to access my Club away games with my club membership. That way you encourage people to either buy the subscription or by a membership. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

Perhaps FFA would own the rights so they can no longer broadcast. Meaning people not contributing $25 would pay more than that for the content.
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Personally, i dont mind it. There are so many unengaged people who couldnt give two hoots about football playing on a weekend. Levering off them and allowing them access to the sport in their home could be a move in the right direction. Even if they dont use it, we would be making use of our large numbers. 

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

patjennings - 4 Jun 2020 3:07 PM
AJF - 4 Jun 2020 2:48 PM

I think they are saying the State Federations should fund it.

"Alternatively, state federations may wish to contribute to underwriting the establishment of FFA TV from their reserves."

TBH I like the idea, Except if I choose not to buy it I should still be able to access my Club away games with my club membership. That way you encourage people to either buy the subscription or by a membership. 

isnt the gg talking about scraping the state feds to cut wasted funds?  are they doing anything that couldnt be managed (even better?) by a single national body?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search