Is there a game on tonight after 4+ months? Wouldn't know it

Is there a game on tonight after 4+ months? Wouldn't know it

Author
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I can understand Fox not mentioning a thing about A League today, we know their attitude towards the round ball game, but,no podcast today of all days about
impending resumption. 
I can understand Vuk not doing one as their team is isolating, City and UTD had recents, nothing today as was Phoenix City.
There was Nothing with FNR, Destruction in the box, greats with Garby, Dwayne's World on Sen is a multiple sports platform, understandable.
Fox podcast with Adam P the other day and Box2Box is tomorrow usually.
What this is about is, there is no platform that the game can use to build up the A League, not a thing.
This is why FFA Must unearth their own FFATV. It is evident that FFA treats itself so poorly, unimaginatively.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

FNR we’re taking about it today and the fox sports podcast interviewed a player from every team throughout this week. Definitely room for improvement 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 17 Jul 2020 6:23 PM
FNR we’re taking about it today and the fox sports podcast interviewed a player from every team throughout this week. Definitely room for improvement 

Well, the FNR replay of the program is posted two hours after the live show then. Still not on the board. Working earlier to watch live.
What channel is it on with Fox, 507?
Might be on Fox on demand..lol
Edited
4 Years Ago by soccerfoo
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

other than a few AL tragic's on here, I'd say majority of the population dont really care and this is reflected in the media treatment and most likely the ratings

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Honestly SFC Vs Nix isn't really a headline grabber..... 

The A league is sh!t this season mostly bcuz SFC have run away with it cant see anyone catching up to them without pro/rel no one really cares - there is a real lack of drama and compelling competitive push for a whole season. The League needs a major shake up but i dont think the $$$ is there anymore. 

Compare the A league to the EPL and even though LFC have won the league with 5 games to go there is still interest regarding UCL and ECL places and relegation there is also the championship winners leeds coming up keeping the league interesting. 

Personally and I've always said the finals series in stupid becuz it diminishes the value of the entire season. Most people will switch on for the finals and thats about it. 

The idea that the finals 'rate well' is stupid bcuz the rest of the season suffers for it...Most people will only attend and watch finals i know bcuz i do the same thing with NRL

Personally i think they should of wrote off the season and started again in Spring.... perhaps freshen up the format but getting rid of finals just have a cup competition - perhaps the competition needs to be opened up to other nations in the region ie New Caledonia, Indonesia etc (if possible) To increase the fan base and number of teams. There isnt enough interest in Australia/Nz for another 10 professional teams to make a 2nd division....  

I dont know what the answer is but i can tell you this is the lowest point football has been in my life time that includes pre-2005 WC qualification. Our national team is sh!t and interest in the sport is at a all time low in terms of people following it. Im a football tragic but even i dont really care about the A league and could give a f**k if the Socceroos don't play for another 12 months. 

I guess as a football fan 'Australian football' is just not exciting or interesting ATM..... 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

FFA now see that it needs to create a platform with a team that provides indepth analysis on the A League and it's primary resources, the players and their personalities. 
The brand will definitely build itself up just by doing what it does best, that is playing the game.
Fox found a loophole and played hardball to reduce their funding payed to the game, that being no content for 20 days or more. It is just dirty business.
The game quality is there so, FFA, 'Back Yourselves,' especially with increased teams to 12 and a better comp structure for next season.

I digress, I heard a couple of interviews with certain players recently on podcasts and they love the concept of playing basically two matches per week in this quickfire lot of matches, it was a reminder of football in Europe for one guy.
I think the game must increase the teams in the near future but in the mean time, FFA cup could be played during next season during the A League season perhaps, the increase in games frequency agrees with the athletes, especially in the winter. Let's face it, the more football the better.
Edited
4 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Do people complaining about no coverage actually go on to articles in the SMH or The Guardian and leave comments, or just read the articles and complain about lack of coverage?

Beaten by Eldar

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Just reaping what the FFA sowed. Other sports have been back for weeks and being played in front of 10,000 fans - not surprising that they are getting the media coverage.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

clockwork orange - 18 Jul 2020 9:16 AM
Just reaping what the FFA sowed. Other sports have been back for weeks and being played in front of 10,000 fans - not surprising that they are getting the media coverage.

There's no getting around it, we left it a bit late to return, and for no real good reason.
I can only think that the WC bid got in the way again.
We had the complication of contracts ending on May 31, but, back in late March, that should have been a motivation to sort everything out, not to put everything on the back burner.
We now have a situation where most sport is setting itself up in SEQ, will the A-League miss the boat again?

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Literally i just learned this morning there was a game on.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

I've seen the ABC running promos for the A-League over the last few days. A reminder for those that don't have Fox/Kayo, the PG v CCM game will be on the ABC at 5PM on both the regular and HD channel.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

If you never knew , then you are not a real supporter.
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

bettega - 18 Jul 2020 9:50 AM
clockwork orange - 18 Jul 2020 9:16 AM

There's no getting around it, we left it a bit late to return, and for no real good reason.
I can only think that the WC bid got in the way again.
We had the complication of contracts ending on May 31, but, back in late March, that should have been a motivation to sort everything out, not to put everything on the back burner.
We now have a situation where most sport is setting itself up in SEQ, will the A-League miss the boat again?

Thing that really does my head in is that the only game they’re planning to play in Queensland is scheduled for the most inconvenient time for Brisbane fans - Sunday night on the Gold Coast. It’s as if the FFA is just taking the piss.
Edited
4 Years Ago by clockwork orange
fcstan
fcstan
Super Fan
Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)

This morning on Sydney radio JJJ  news there was no mention of our game but they did mention what
games are on today in the afl
I was there last night about 12C with steady rain perfect for football? 
No way if we change seasons crowds will be halved at best we need to stick to summer
maybe over lap a few months. If people think your grass roots and senior players will 
play their Saturday/Sunday game and then rush to watch the A-league they've got rocks in their head
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

fcstan - 18 Jul 2020 12:12 PM
This morning on Sydney radio JJJ  news there was no mention of our game but they did mention what
No way if we change seasons crowds will be halved at best we need to stick to summer
maybe over lap a few months. If people think your grass roots and senior players will 
play their Saturday/Sunday game and then rush to watch the A-league they've got rocks in their head

Yes, there was a senior game on last night at a local field off West Botany street at Rockdale, playing at the same time as Sydney's match played with Welly.
We know they didn't get to go to Netstrata.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Love all the excuses, but perhaps people just aren’t into the AL anymore?

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)

Winter football is a death sentence in this country.

People have to get it through their heads that we are not a European country.

Winter football, prorel, scrapping salary cap DOES NOT WORK IN THIS COUNTRY.

The a-league had a nice niche in summer, it was a competitive and interesting league when the salary cap was tighter. 

It's going to shit because of people's delusional thinking that we are in a different country.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

So why can they do it for AFL? 

Beaten by Eldar

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Football is a Winter sport! Its all fractured, when A League is on, senior stuff in the park, relatively close to where the A League is being played,
has to be scheduled alot better in future. This is an obvious one, about aligning with the grassroots. 
All posts on this platform are by A League fans, that are frustrated with previous inactions by the powers to be!
Anyone feeling compelled to post anything here whether they agree or disagree, is evidence enough that they care about the
prosperity of the game.
Edited
4 Years Ago by soccerfoo
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

I saw the news this morning on ten (or 7?) and they mentioned Leeds fans celebrating promotion after 16 years ... but no mention of the A League.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Jegga7698 - 18 Jul 2020 2:56 PM

The a-league had a nice niche in summer, it was a competitive and interesting league when the salary cap was tighter. 

It's going to shit because of people's delusional thinking that we are in a different country.

Yes lets stick to being a parody football league, if thats what you want.

More marquees, more sugar hits yay!!! 

A for Amateur League, congrats.
fcstan
fcstan
Super Fan
Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)Super Fan (155 reputation)

Eldar - 18 Jul 2020 3:00 PM

how much media coverage and promotion do the afl/nrl have
it's everywhere there is no room for football
AJF
AJF
Pro

fcstan - 18 Jul 2020 5:53 PM

how much media coverage and promotion do the afl/nrl have
it's everywhere there is no room for football

There was plenty of room in the media today for Leeds getting promoted! Perhaps the media like majority of football fans are eurosnobs as well?

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

People blaming the lack of coverage on the media, but it doesn’t help how poorly run the aleague has been going.

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Maybe that's why AFL ratings are up?  Lots of Victorian leagues are closed?
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Yep.  100% right. The lunatic deluded on this forum now run the show

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

This is a fair point. Usually on the Foxtel app I use, all the live sports show up on the "Live TV" section for me, Fox Sports first, then ESPN and beIN, generally the AFL game or NRL game at the time, or F1 or V8s when its on.

This game I had to scroll past all the news channels to get to.
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Barca4Life - 18 Jul 2020 5:28 PM

Yes lets stick to being a parody football league, if thats what you want.

More marquees, more sugar hits yay!!! 

A for Amateur League, congrats.

Posts like this piss me off no end.  Absolutely deluded or mentally deficient.

Amateur?  Do you even know what the word means?  Tell me in what way is a 60,000 plus  crowd of paying customers for a local derby "amateur".  You think your authentic Euro model will get that in your life time? Enjoy your Euro  Model with its winter, P and R, no salary cap all in front of 5000 for a "derby:, until in 2 years time it collapses and that my friend will be then end of fully professional football in this country.

As for sugar hits". you do realize "sugar" hits are what the very best clubs in the very best leagues rely on to stay at the top which is what keeps the punters coming back match after match.  Virtually every player  in every top 4 team in every top league is a "sugar hit"- clubs spend hundreds of millions year after year after yea to buy them, to keep winning to keep the fans coming in.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

DP

Edited
4 Years Ago by Enzo Bearzot
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Enzo Bearzot - 18 Jul 2020 8:20 PM
Barca4Life - 18 Jul 2020 5:28 PM

Posts like this piss me off no end.  Absolutely deluded or mentally deficient.

Amateur?  Do you even know what the word means?  Tell me in what way is a 60,000 plus  crowd of paying customers for a local derby "amateur".  You think your authentic Euro model will get that in your life time? Enjoy your Euro  Model with its winter, P and R, no salary cap all in front of 5000 for a "derby:, until in 2 years time it collapses and that my friend will be then end of fully professional football in this country.

As for sugar hits". you do realize "sugar" hits are what the very best clubs in the very best leagues rely on to stay at the top which is what keeps the punters coming back match after match.  Virtually every player  in every top 4 team in every top league is a "sugar hit"- clubs spend hundreds of millions year after year after yea to buy them, to keep winning to keep the fans coming in.

No disrespect but you don’t know what your talking about with what big clubs try to do in Europe.

They don’t have rules for marquee players, they sign these players in order to win things that matter the most in European football.

They have no salary caps, or no absurd restrictions on player or loan systems unlike here.

You want to talk about 60K derby crowds? Good luck trying to get a sold out derby crowd in the summer these days because that won’t exist due to a league that has lost its lust.

You liked tonight’s game? Well good luck getting a similar tempo during 30 degree heat or high humidity during the summer on a December night.

You know that pro-rel exists outside of Europe right? Do a little research next time.

Enjoy your vino Enzo.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Barca4Life
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search