No VAR!

No VAR!

Author
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Whilst the football has been superb, having no VAR has also been a blessing for these fixtures. And haven't the officials done a pretty good job without it!
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

For the most part I agree with you, and the rub of the green balances out somewhat over a match or a series of matches.

But when a number of critical calls have all gone the same way in the one match and that affects the outcome it is a problem.

Sydney v Nix as the first game after the restart is one I cannot accept as a fair result - and in season context it made a huge difference to the competition standings.

I believe Nix were cheated at least three times in that game and VAR would have made the game 3-0 to the Nix (I think) before halftime. Handballs and offside calls all went the wrong way on the three critical decisions.

The result was Sydney gaining the 6 point advantage over Nix - where Nix should have had the 3 points and not SFC. The competition for Premiers would have been a much harder race for Sydney and with their post-Premiers form slump (would it have happened if they were still fighting?) Nix may have made it a much closer thing.

I am no fan of either club, and totally neutral in terms of who I want to win - but the lack of VAR in that one game stole a fair chance off the Nix.

Those decisions were the very reason why VAR was brought in - it is a shame that drawing the line on what VAR can get involved in and the application of the system has been poor. The technology itself could be brilliant and useful.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Tech as good as it is in some ways is taking the spirit out of some sports.
Ours for one as has been proven since re start with NO VAR.
Better flow of the game, the frustrating wait of countless replays.
Why does there have to be the need to wipeout the human error ? you win some you lose some you suck it up.
Its not being cheated its "human" - like play by the whistle, its the officials call suck it up get on with it.
Nature of the game leave it be.
Might as well turn our players and officials into esports in the future and be done going to live matchs.
This is what people supporting any form of tech will end up having in the end.
Robots/a software system running the game - oh what joy it would be.

I'm a avid motogp follower and rider from way back.
Casey Stoner in part gave it away due to tech used on the pedigre wild thourough bred race bike.
Only those with the absolute talent be it natural or workmanship could get the most out of the wild machine.
Tech has now provided the mid packers and less and worse to be able to ride them despite them not having the skill/talent.
So were breeding a generic silloutte competition.
Where is the fun out of all this when its meant to be a competion of human skill and not driven by the laptop.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os11289/var-football-simon-hill

Love Football

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I miss it
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 9:39 AM
For the most part I agree with you, and the rub of the green balances out somewhat over a match or a series of matches.

But when a number of critical calls have all gone the same way in the one match and that affects the outcome it is a problem.

Sydney v Nix as the first game after the restart is one I cannot accept as a fair result - and in season context it made a huge difference to the competition standings.

I believe Nix were cheated at least three times in that game and VAR would have made the game 3-0 to the Nix (I think) before halftime. Handballs and offside calls all went the wrong way on the three critical decisions.

The result was Sydney gaining the 6 point advantage over Nix - where Nix should have had the 3 points and not SFC. The competition for Premiers would have been a much harder race for Sydney and with their post-Premiers form slump (would it have happened if they were still fighting?) Nix may have made it a much closer thing.

I am no fan of either club, and totally neutral in terms of who I want to win - but the lack of VAR in that one game stole a fair chance off the Nix.

Those decisions were the very reason why VAR was brought in - it is a shame that drawing the line on what VAR can get involved in and the application of the system has been poor. The technology itself could be brilliant and useful.

It wouldn't have made it 3 nil if they got those 3 calls because, and I can't believe you have to say this, the game would've have started with a kickoff and the whole sliding doors thing would have happened.

Nobody can possibly know what would have followed an allowed goal.  Tallying up VAR calls and then saying 'look we were gypped' is nonsensical.

Yes if it were nil all with 1 to go.  Then you could claim a win if the VAR fucked up.

Member since 2008.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 11 Aug 2020 4:30 PM
Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 9:39 AM

It wouldn't have made it 3 nil if they got those 3 calls because, and I can't believe you have to say this, the game would've have started with a kickoff and the whole sliding doors thing would have happened.

Nobody can possibly know what would have followed an allowed goal.  Tallying up VAR calls and then saying 'look we were gypped' is nonsensical.

Yes if it were nil all with 1 to go.  Then you could claim a win if the VAR fucked up.

Agree totally with the clean slate from the first change and that we can't say it would have been 3-0 when it comes down to it - but can definitely say there were 3 opportunities for that clean slate which were lost to the Nix.

To those who say human nature should rule, it will always be a challenge in a professional world where there is a lot of money invested. I am OK with technology to correct serious misjudgement in that environment - but with more of an acceptable grey area that can't be overruled by VAR - like an offside call denying a goal where a player was very clearly onside (by a body width for example) or similarly an onside call leading to a goal where the scorer is seen to be offside by a metre or more. A handball resulting in a penalty when it wasn't a handball is another that just should not happen. I imagine that is the sort of thing it started as ("obvious error") and it has been corrupted by use.

playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend

Yep, I'm done with it. Bring in goal line tech I suppose.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Edited
4 Years Ago by playmaker11
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 4:50 PM
Munrubenmuz - 11 Aug 2020 4:30 PM

Agree totally with the clean slate from the first change and that we can't say it would have been 3-0 when it comes down to it - but can definitely say there were 3 opportunities for that clean slate which were lost to the Nix.

To those who say human nature should rule, it will always be a challenge in a professional world where there is a lot of money invested. I am OK with technology to correct serious misjudgement in that environment - but with more of an acceptable grey area that can't be overruled by VAR - like an offside call denying a goal where a player was very clearly onside (by a body width for example) or similarly an onside call leading to a goal where the scorer is seen to be offside by a metre or more. A handball resulting in a penalty when it wasn't a handball is another that just should not happen. I imagine that is the sort of thing it started as ("obvious error") and it has been corrupted by use.

Yeah but the VAR still gets it wrong.  Watch this and tell me the VAR is working.  https://www.sportbible.com/football/fails-juventus-and-lyon-both-awarded-terrible-penalties-in-champions-league-20200807

Multiple angles, multiple replays and somehow they still made an abortion of both of those decision.  The sliding tackle one is just mind blowing.  Just exactly what were they watching?.  

VAR should be limited to ball crossing the line, mistaken identity and foul in or out of the box.  And that's it.

Member since 2008.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 11 Aug 2020 5:58 PM
Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 4:50 PM

Yeah but the VAR still gets it wrong.  Watch this and tell me the VAR is working.  https://www.sportbible.com/football/fails-juventus-and-lyon-both-awarded-terrible-penalties-in-champions-league-20200807

Multiple angles, multiple replays and somehow they still made an abortion of both of those decision.  The sliding tackle one is just mind blowing.  Just exactly what were they watching?.  

VAR should be limited to ball crossing the line, mistaken identity and foul in or out of the box.  And that's it.

With the sliding tackle, isn't it actually number 33 clipping his leg before that which results in the penalty call? Hard to see on the footage but looks like the falling player had nothing to do with the slide tackle as such - they had already been fouled. That aside, there have been plenty of VAR calls I disagree with. It needs to be an obvious (and ridiculous) error not a line ball 50/50 call. VAR should not be using a microscope.

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

The competition has been great without VAR, and the refs, on the whole, have done well. Please please don't bring it back!
Muz
Muz
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 6:18 PM
Munrubenmuz - 11 Aug 2020 5:58 PM

With the sliding tackle, isn't it actually number 33 clipping his leg before that which results in the penalty call? Hard to see on the footage but looks like the falling player had nothing to do with the slide tackle as such - they had already been fouled. That aside, there have been plenty of VAR calls I disagree with. It needs to be an obvious (and ridiculous) error not a line ball 50/50 call. VAR should not be using a microscope.

Watch the video in the tweet.  It's a perfect sliding tackle.  https://twitter.com/skinniar/status/1291817975645970432

Edit:  I see what you're saying now.  Maybe. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 11 Aug 2020 7:27 PM
Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 6:18 PM

Watch the video in the tweet.  It's a perfect sliding tackle.  https://twitter.com/skinniar/status/1291817975645970432

Agree - but look closely at the first second or two and you may see number 33 connecting with his leg and throwing him off balance. That is what I am suggesting the penalty was for and not the perfect tackle.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Don’t worry lads Strebre will be back for the finals making sure decisions go the right way
Edited
4 Years Ago by scott20won
lost
lost
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)

I assumed FOX cut the VAR as a cost saving measure with their" streamlined" broadcast. The game will be very hard up for cash for the foreseeable future. From a financial point of view, it would be madness to waste a cent on VAR before the game is well and truly back on its feet.

I think in the long run it still has a place for the big decisions that instantly kill the game such as red cards and penalties. Rather than looking for stuff the on field ref missed though, I'd rather VAR just have a very limited remit to overrule given penalties where NO contact has occurred (blatant dives), and given red cards where the ref has made an absolute clanger. I can't even recall an incident where a red card was overturned by VAR, but given the significance of the decision the VAR should have the power to reverse it.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 7:31 PM
Munrubenmuz - 11 Aug 2020 7:27 PM

Agree - but look closely at the first second or two and you may see number 33 connecting with his leg and throwing him off balance. That is what I am suggesting the penalty was for and not the perfect tackle.

TBH for me that is splitting hairs re 33, that wasn't intent by the look of it and he pulled up his momentum as the attacker was going through/forward and the ball was too far ahead of him from his touch prior to going to ground giving the opportunity of that good sweeping last tackle.
No pen.
You could go back to the tackle where Higuin got de possessed - should that have been a free kick to some ?
Like I said its splitting hairs.
Even though Tech is available Refs at those levels know the game and paid accordingly.
What is the point of having them IF we allow tech to make more and mre of the calls.
lost last para maes some sense on the VAR if havign to use it.
Goal line tech is a given - its either black or white BUT even that produced a clanger this season in a EPL game.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search