Professional football is not popular in Australia...why?

Professional football is not popular in Australia...why?

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
CanberraHarry - 29 Sep 2020 10:30 AM
The irony of multiculturalism and diversity being seen as a positive in every aspect of Australian life except mens football is not lost on me.  In most other cultural and social areas ‘the ethnics’ are celebrated but in football we have actively shunned them. Bizarre and backward thinking. And out of step with modern Australia. But it’s not irretrievable.

But we happy to taste the food though! 

Funny country.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

bettega - 29 Sep 2020 9:57 AM
CanberraHarry - 29 Sep 2020 9:43 AM

South Melbourne has had three bites at it (entering the A-League), and at least for the 2nd and 3rd tries, missed out to inferior bids.
Damage done I'd say.

the fact that spots in the top league are decided based on how glossy your bid is versus being earnt through on field performance says it all. In setting up the Al, a honeymoon with no p/r is understandable, but the overarching strategy of protecting the owners investment has basically killed the league for me. there is no ambition amongst many of the clubs and with no consequences there is no incentive to actually try.

Reddy juggling the ball un-challenged before half time last season sums up situation with AL perfectly, it is a meaningless competition and when the players themselves dont take it seriously, why would anyone expect the football public to.

CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Barca4Life - 29 Sep 2020 11:53 AM
CanberraHarry - 29 Sep 2020 10:30 AM

But we happy to taste the food though! 

Funny country.

Well exactly, because the foreign food beats the potatoes and steak I was raised on, easily. But so does football influenced by Greeks, Italians, Croatians, Serbs and Germans. Oh well, we are a bloody weird mob. 
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Define popular? We were averaging 10k for years, there is nothing wrong with that.
libelous
libelous
Amateur
Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)

thekingmb - 29 Sep 2020 1:58 PM
Define popular? We were averaging 10k for years, there is nothing wrong with that.

In my opinion  what makes a sport ‘popular ‘ is that it is immediately identifiable by the average ‘joe blow’. When the A-league, the Socceroos or the Matildas are mentioned  it’s ‘blank looks’ by the majority of the populace. Whereas cricketers, ‘footy’ players of any of the other codes even tennis players are instantly recognised. Perhaps it is down to a lack of publicity ( must admit even my wife knows who Tim Cahill is and she has zero interest in football).
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

libelous - 29 Sep 2020 2:41 PM

In my opinion  what makes a sport ‘popular ‘ is that it is immediately identifiable by the average ‘joe blow’. When the A-league, the Socceroos or the Matildas are mentioned  it’s ‘blank looks’ by the majority of the populace. Whereas cricketers, ‘footy’ players of any of the other codes even tennis players are instantly recognised. Perhaps it is down to a lack of publicity ( must admit even my wife knows who Tim Cahill is and she has zero interest in football).

The Aleague is probably at the level somewhere in between league 1 and 2. The amount of publicity those leagues get locally in comparison to the A-League is probably the same. The cricketers, footy players and tennis players are the pinnacle of those sports so its no surprise the average joe is familiar with them. When Del Piero came, everybody took notice. Go to Japan and Korea, baseball is the national sport and everybody knows who they are. Football is 2nd in those countries so it isn't that bad. Unfortunately in this country, we have much more competition. I shall re-iterate, the A-league was going fine, until the clowns pissed of the fans. Expansion was slowly, but surely, on the horizon. 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

You're right, there's is nothing really wrong with averaging 10k across the first 15 seasons of the A-League (maybe even a bit above that).
If the league can continue with those numbers, there is nothing wrong with that.
What is a problem is getting ratings which are large as the number of people in the stadium - that's a real problem, because it affects both broadcast revenue and sponsorship.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Further to the above, this is where the A-League stands, in terms of attendances, with comparable leagues world wide:

EredivisieAssociation football Netherlands12018–19183065,496,85717,964[35]
Russian Premier League (RPL)Association football Russia12018–19162404,032,18416,801[36]
Scottish PremiershipAssociation football United Kingdom12018–19121983,171,14916,016[37]
National Rugby League (NRL)Rugby league Australia
 New Zealand
12019162013,175,871[38]15,800[39]
Championnat de France de rugby à XV (Top 14)Rugby union France12018–19141872,734,73814,624
Premiership RugbyRugby union United Kingdom12018–19121351,958,40214,507[40]
Super RugbyRugby union New Zealand
 South Africa
 Australia
 Argentina
 Japan
International clubs competition2017181422,049,91214,436[41]
Indian Super League (ISL)Association football India12018–1910811,049,67412,959[42]
Pakistan Super LeagueTwenty20 Cricket Pakistan12018634[31]398,76511,7281
Primeira LigaAssociation football Portugal12018–19183063,561,48411,639[43]
Swiss Super LeagueAssociation football  Switzerland12018–19101802,018,70711,278[44]
Currie Cup Premier DivisionRugby union South Africa12014843478,392[45]11,125[46]
Belgian First Division AAssociation football Belgium12018–19162402,580,51610,752[47]
Speedway EkstraligaMotorcycle speedway Poland12018862650,06910,484[48]
A-LeagueAssociation football Australia
 New Zealand
12018–19101351,407,15110,423[49]
Campeonato Nacional de Liga de Segunda División (La Liga 2)Association football Spain22018–19224624,583,76310,418[50]
I-LeagueAssociation football India22017-181090832,66510,280[51]
KBO LeagueBaseball South Korea12019107207,286,00810,119[52][53][54]
Turkish Super LeagueAssociation football Turkey12016–17183062,531,6399,700[55]
Mexican Pacific LeagueBaseball Mexico12019–20103333,170,417[56]9,521[13]
EkstraklasaAssociation football Poland12017–18162962,802,4839,468[57][58]
Liga 1Association football Indonesia12019183062,863,8769,359
China League OneAssociation football People's Republic of China22019162402,199,2799,202[59]
AllsvenskanAssociation football Sweden12019162402,198,7949,162

Edited
4 Years Ago by bettega
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Sweden has a similar football involvement population as us and the Allsvenskan averages around the high 9k with 16 teams
Their kids like ours grow up idolizing the premier league and it's stars and use the Allsvenskan as a platform to get into better leagues.

Eurosport Sweden, an arm of the Discovery Communications-owned pan-European sports broadcaster, has concluded an exclusive deal to show Swedish soccer’s top-tier Allsvenskan starting in 2020.

The deal also includes exclusive coverage on Eurosport of Swedish soccer’s second-tier Superettan.

The deal is reported to be worth SKr540 million ($61.5 million) per season, around double the present outlay from TV4 and C More.(about 85 mil AUD)

Sweden's 3 biggest clubs have facebook likes similar or below Australia's 3 biggest clubs which is some indication of 
engagement.

WSW and Sydney being homeless hasn't helped and WSW and Victory being basket cases also has an effect.
I think the A-League goes ok but if the FFA spent less time the last 10 yrs trying to woo the mainstream and more effort in catering to the existing football
population then i don't think we would have the rot we have now.

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 29 Sep 2020 9:00 AM
one word... Eurosnobs. 

Also know as real football fans who have common sense and like the sport. 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Arthur - 28 Sep 2020 11:08 PM
Professional football is popular in Australia.

We’ve just made some poor assumptions and decisions over the last 50 years.

Over the last 15 years we thought a professional league based on Australian sporting culture would do it.
In fact we promised the owners riches beyond compare, setting a policy course that doesn’t meet our expectations nor the expectations of those who invested in the League.

We thought marquees would be a game changer.

We thought if only there was less or no ethnic clubs then the Australian masses would see less of an impediment to crossing over to the beautiful game.

They thought getting rid of  active support, seen as rowdy and symbolic of the ethnic Football days as the way to attract the threatre goer.

We thought World Cup qualification would be the game changer and everyone would just hop over to the true football.

We think winning a World Cup will do the trick without any thought or consideration in what is needed to achieve that.

The owners brought over Scudamore to tell them how to make the game more popular, but didn’t like what they were told.

The journey to what we want for the game here is a long one. And we’ve lost a lot of time, sidetracked by distractions of grandeur.

We have to be more Club focused, Clubs are the engine of the game the World over, they are the marquee. Great players have come and gone through Real Madrid, but people support Real Madrid not the galaxy of stars that have passed through.

To win a World Cup our players need to be playing and dominating in the top 5 leagues of Europe. With the top 5 clubs in those leagues.

To get those players to those clubs and leagues we have to have a vibrant and competitive league here, that includes transfer fees, promotion Relegation, a connected pyramid, diverse and innovative player development especially at the youngest ages (I’m talking ages 4 to 12), parental education on how they can best help the kids get the skills they need just to enjoy the game. We have to come to the realization that not every kid is elite, but if they stay in the game taught to love it they will be the next administrator or sponser or coach etc.
we have to stop saying, AL you are the professional clubs, NPL you are the development clubs, Community you are for the masses. Telling Clubs this is your territory, and the people in this territory belong to you. Clubs siloed into a specific roles is like creating an East German sports model without the drugs. Even those  clamoring for age restrictions on clubs In competition don’t get it, just playing youth in the AL NPL or wherever isn’t the game changer people think if the kids aren’t good enough they’re not good enough.

And we can’t have arbitrary player payments regulations, Licensing conditions etc etc that don’t reflect the financial capacity and level of the game. We have to have more of an organic approach and that takes time. Like the Japanese who have a 100 year plan.

So my point we need to accept we are in the long game, there is no silver bullet, there is not one thing we can do that will change our circumstances, but there are many small things we can do and build on. In particular we need to equal regulations for all Clubs within a free market framework.
Could write a lot more on this but I think I’ve put my view across.

I agree 

thought no one thought marquees where going to save the league - 90% of the marquees where crap - other then Fowler/York/ADP non of the other 'marquees' were really marquees

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Football is popular the AL on the other hand...

The A-league isn't popular let be honest becuz from day one it was shit - 70-80% football fans said it at the time - the structure, the quality on the park, the jokes of marquees, lack of P/R, plastic feel of the clubs etc - From personally experience im a MVFC fan but all my friends that watch football Serie A/EPL have Zero interest in the AL becuz they dont respect it. 

Even though the quality has got better it always has have this  unshakable notion it is a 'shit' league - regardless of it improving it wont shake off this tag of being a shit product for the majority of football fans in this country becuz it has so many inferior features compared to overseas leagues.

It doesnt help that the Socceroos are shit and the AL isnt producing talent that is marketable for the sport like basketball has atm with Simon etc.  

If the AL was producing players playing in top leagues, playing UCL it would win back some favor but you see A-L players (or former AL) playing for Socceroos and they are getting done by teams like UAE - no one respects the league or the national team becuz it isnt preforming 

Sport is a 'results' based industry football has huge potential but the AL is dead imo 

I'd scrap the AL and start again becuz it will always been seen as a dud i've said it before it is the FFA who is to blame Lowry, Gallop etc f**ked football with the dumbest model possible that is so far away from what a football league should look like that most actual football fans are turned off the sport. 

Even at its worst the NSL was better then what we have now ill stand by that and i didnt like the NLS but i love the national team - regardless of not making world cups we actually always had some top talent in the starting XI - those players were developed via the NSL system so i at least respected it and so did many others. I cant say the same for the AL.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

It was a very respectable and relatively popular league with a decent slice of the summer pie and then S Lowy and Gallop went to war with its own fans.

The game has never recovered since.
bettega
bettega
World Class

I agree Allsvenskan is a good benchmark for us.
They have some advantages but their population is one third of ours and they have strong competition from other sports as well.
That's a pretty lucrative TV deal they have managed to put together (I guess it's only marginally higher than what our was before it was halved).
We should really be aiming for the same sort of dollars.

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

aussie pride - 30 Sep 2020 9:06 AM
It was a very respectable and relatively popular league with a decent slice of the summer pie and then S Lowy and Gallop went to war with its own fans.

The game has never recovered since.

Ill give you that WSW introduction with Popa in charge we were looking decent for a while 

But we are talking about the whole 15 years of the AL not just periods where it looked like it had a spark that could become a fire.  

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Because the A League is a minor league in this country. Our best seasons with eyeballs on the league werre when we had marquees that would put bums on seats and good active support. Now we got neither, and i doubt we will be able to get decent marquees again. 
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

I wish people would get over the supposed benefit that marquees provided. Even the USA has realised that consistently growing support is how you develop the league rather than individual high value players. The marquee/designated player is meant to be the cherry on top and not the sole method of development. 

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

bettega - 30 Sep 2020 9:36 AM
I agree Allsvenskan is a good benchmark for us.
They have some advantages but their population is one third of ours and they have strong competition from other sports as well.
That's a pretty lucrative TV deal they have managed to put together (I guess it's only marginally higher than what our was before it was halved).
We should really be aiming for the same sort of dollars.

Agreed. In any case, their NT looks a lot stronger than the Socceroos. Some of that might be luck, but some of that is bound to be down to development system, Allsvenskan vs A-League and  and broader football culture.

If you look at that squad and add definitely Daniel Arzani and, maybe Ajdin Hrustic and Trent Saisbury, that's a very decent squad (whether it's Australia or whether it's Sweden).

Sweden's a lot smaller than Australia and football does face competition from ice hockey and things like bandy. In saying that, the level of competition is surely nothing compared to the awful, awful consequences of AFL and rugby league.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

I hope for Australia's brand of football to be built around a variety of styles. Football with a mishmash of various different types of of footballers. Some robust defenders and midfielders, some defenders and midfielders with great football IQ whose positioning and passing allows the team to dictate (not to the point of being terrified of surrendering possession in the final third). Some attacking players who want to craft the "team goal" who takes minimal touches before passing and, as a team, manage to pass the ball into the back of the net (having outmaneouvred the opposition). And some attacking players (particularly a striker) who are a bit selfish with the ball and, using great dribbling ability, speed and an accurate shot, will take opponents on 1 vs 1.

To that end, we need a football environment that encourages all these types of footballers, including the slightly selfish 1 vs 1 type. And Australian football certainly shouldn't discourage footballers who are athletic (fast), even if they're tall.

Organically attempting to play football in the manner of Barcelona (while, to an extent, misinterpreting how Barcelona actually play football) + lacking the pathways for developing footballers + lacking decent coaches + lacking a competitive professional competition + lacking things such as street football = recipe for mediocrity.

Small wonder the broader Australian public isn't inspired by football in Australia.
Edited
4 Years Ago by quickflick
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

quickflick - 30 Sep 2020 2:34 PM
I hope for Australia's brand of football to be built around a variety of styles. Football with a mishmash of various different types of of footballers. Some robust defenders and midfielders, some defenders and midfielders with great football IQ whose positioning and passing allows the team to dictate (not to the point of being terrified of surrendering possession in the final third). Some attacking players who want to craft the "team goal" who takes minimal touches before passing and, as a team, manage to pass the ball into the back of the net (having outmaneouvred the opposition). And some attacking players (particularly a striker) who are a bit selfish with the ball and, using great dribbling ability, speed and an accurate shot, will take opponents on 1 vs 1.

To that end, we need a football environment that encourages all these types of footballers, including the slightly selfish 1 vs 1 type. And Australian football certainly shouldn't discourage footballers who are athletic (fast), even if they're tall.

Organically attempting to play football in the manner of Barcelona (while, to an extent, misinterpreting how Barcelona actually play football) + lacking the pathways for developing footballers + lacking decent coaches + lacking a competitive professional competition + lacking things such as street football = recipe for mediocrity.

Small wonder the broader Australian public isn't inspired by football in Australia.

In terms of more players that like the 1v1 the problem is that Australian sporting culture like team players and not selfish players. I.e they get called ball hogs

The Mbappe story which is on Optus sports explains the French like to develop individuals with flair and discipline over hard working team players, whilst here it’s the opposite.

Even Mombearts said it that Australian players are not taught to be more aggressive with their mentality rather they are told to stop after they dribble. 

Its a cultural problem that needs addressing.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Barca4Life - 30 Sep 2020 3:07 PM
quickflick - 30 Sep 2020 2:34 PM

In terms of more players that like the 1v1 the problem is that Australian sporting culture like team players and not selfish players. I.e they get called ball hogs

The Mbappe story which is on Optus sports explains the French like to develop individuals with flair and discipline over hard working team players, whilst here it’s the opposite.

Even Mombearts said it that Australian players are not taught to be more aggressive with their mentality rather they are told to stop after they dribble. 

Its a cultural problem that needs addressing.

+1

It might be a kind of manifestation of "tall poppy syndrome".

And it's such a stupid mentality. Thierry Henry (1.88m tall) was one of the best 1 vs 1 players in history, imo. His ball control was immaculate, he was incredibly fast and agile with absurd acceleration. He was also very strong. And then there was his the accuracy of his finishing. He could just spot weaknesses (whether in a defensive line or with the goalkeeper) and he'd exploit those weaknesses.

Absolutely prolific. Jamie Carragher reckons he was one of the best. He said

Sometimes as a defender against some of the top players we had at that time; Alan Shearer, Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie – there’s not a lot you can do in certain situations because they were that good. But in his prime, Henry would simply run past you and there wasn’t a lot I could do.

and

I’ve used this analogy before and I make no apology for using it again. When he hit top gear and ran past you, it was like trying to chase after someone on a motorbike.

And yet despite these demonstrations of remarkable 1 vs 1 talent and plenty of shooting, Henry was a team player who contributed a huge number of assists. In the 2002-2003 season, he contributed 23 assists. But no. In Australia, you're either a ball hog or a selfless team player. Yet another false dichotomy that holds back Australian football.
Edited
tsf
tsf
Legend

Australians also generally are not real good at sport - even though they have some weird belief they're the greatest sportspeople on earth,. Look at Aussie rules, Ffs you can come from overseas and be a professional in a year at it - they're not even good at their own sport. Maybe football hasn't taken off massively because it's too much of a challenge to actually get good at?
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

quickflick - 30 Sep 2020 3:09 PM
Barca4Life - 30 Sep 2020 3:07 PM

+1

It might be a kind of manifestation of "tall poppy syndrome".

And it's such a stupid mentality. Thierry Henry (1.88m tall) was one of the best 1 vs 1 players in history, imo. His ball control was immaculate, he was incredibly fast and agile with absurd acceleration. He was also very strong. And then there was his the accuracy of his finishing. He could just spot weaknesses (whether in a defensive line or with the goalkeeper) and he'd exploit those weaknesses.

Absolutely prolific. Jamie Carragher reckons he was one of the best. He said

Sometimes as a defender against some of the top players we had at that time; Alan Shearer, Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie – there’s not a lot you can do in certain situations because they were that good. But in his prime, Henry would simply run past you and there wasn’t a lot I could do.

and

I’ve used this analogy before and I make no apology for using it again. When he hit top gear and ran past you, it was like trying to chase after someone on a motorbike.

And yet despite these demonstrations of remarkable 1 vs 1 talent and plenty of shooting, Henry was a team player who contributed a huge number of assists. In the 2002-2003 season, he contributed 23 assists. But no. In Australia, you're either a ball hog or a selfless team player. Yet another false dichotomy that holds back Australian football.

It definitely tall poppy syndrome.

I remember people were criticising Arzani when he first broke through at Melb City that he doesn't have an end product, even though he does something which is quite rare in Australian attackers which beat players via the dribble but he doesnt do anything with it which is completely false.

But people wanted to point what he doesnt have at this stage of his young career rather than celebrate what he does really well.

Its no wonder in country we dont develop strong dribblers regardless of their size because they seen as risk takers which oddly enough people think can affect the sequence of play which its actually the opposite. 

I recall that young Aussie winger who played at the u17 World Cup last year and is at Sporting Lisbon, he has got excellent dribbling skills but he left around 11 or 12, maybe his family felt he would not be the same player if he stayed, who knows.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

tsf - 30 Sep 2020 3:30 PM
Australians also generally are not real good at sport - even though they have some weird belief they're the greatest sportspeople on earth,. Look at Aussie rules, Ffs you can come from overseas and be a professional in a year at it - they're not even good at their own sport. Maybe football hasn't taken off massively because it's too much of a challenge to actually get good at?

The Aussie Rules example doesn't really back up your point, imo. The reason you can come from overseas and become professional at Aussie Rules (as an adult) is that there's a sheer lack of technique compared to football, tennis, cricket, etc.

For those other sports, there's so much technique involved that athleticism on its own isn't enough. Generally, most pros (and probably almost every world-class player) started playing the sport at a young age. That's basically the only way for your level of technique to be world-class at the sport.

Aussie Rules is literally all about athleticism and/or size/strength (depending on position), helped along by great sports conditioning and focus on HIIT/stamina. Technique doesn't matter.

Imo, relative to population size, Australians competing in sport at the highest level are (or have been) very good. Sure the sports we've been good at aren't always the most global of games. But the reality is there's only one truly global game and that's football. So if we're to argue that Australia's not good at sport, then the same goes for all countries except Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, etc.

I'd argue that Ben Simmons and Patty Mills are outstanding at sport and exceedingly athletic. Then if you look at tennis, the "SpAussie" Alex de Minaur is considered one of the quickest (if not the quickest) on the men's tour. Then in cricket, the hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes of Steve Smith are essentially unsurpassed in that sport at present. Bit further back, and there's Ricky Ponting, Greg Chappell and, ultimately, Don Bradman. And then there's all those tennis players (Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, Tony Roche, John Newcombe, etc.) and swimming (Ian Thorpe, Grant Hackett, Susie O'Neill, Kyle Chalmers, etc.). And then some of the athletic Aussie Rules players who, unfortunately, didn't play football instead, such as Cyril Rioli. Australian sport bleeds talent to a code which isn't played outside VIC/SA/WA.

Australians aren't the "best" at sport on the planet. No nation can reasonably make that claim. Currently, Australia's the equivalent of an average European country. But it's categorically untrue to suggest that Aussies are "not real good at sport" or that haven't been "real good at sport" in the past. Another false dichotomy although I don't single you out there, tsf, I mean another false dichotomy that prevails in Australian society.
Edited
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

To borrow from Barca4Life's excellent words.

Here's footage of a footballer with individual "flair and discipline"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECYEyENt84

and here's a footage of a team player who looks for the pass so that his team can score goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFhhRRgQucY

Whatddya know? It's the same guy. His name is Thierry Henry. So it is possible to be both those things. Perhaps, in Australia, we can encourage more individual flair and 1 vs 1 duels while also encouraging teamwork and possession based football? But maybe that's too complex.

Edited
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Urghh, anybody know how to embed youtube videos? That's proving too complex for me right now.

I just copy the URL from the address bar. Then I go -> "+ Insert" -> Insert Video -> YouTube. And paste. But the video is never embedded. Just a blank space.

It looks like [YouTube]URL[/YouTube].

Where am I going wrong?
Edited
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

quickflick - 30 Sep 2020 4:08 PM
tsf - 30 Sep 2020 3:30 PM

The Aussie Rules example doesn't really back up your point, imo. The reason you can come from overseas and become professional at Aussie Rules (as an adult) is that there's a sheer lack of technique compared to football, tennis, cricket, etc.

For those other sports, there's so much technique involved that athleticism on its own isn't enough. Generally, most pros (and probably almost every world-class player) started playing the sport at a young age. That's basically the only way for your level of technique to be world-class at the sport.

Aussie Rules is literally all about athleticism and/or size/strength (depending on position), helped along by great sports conditioning and focus on HIIT/stamina. Technique doesn't matter.

Imo, relative to population size, Australians competing in sport at the highest level are (or have been) very good. Sure the sports we've been good at aren't always the most global of games. But the reality is there's only one truly global game and that's football. So if we're to argue that Australia's not good at sport, then the same goes for all countries except Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, etc.

I'd argue that Ben Simmons and Patty Mills are outstanding at sport and exceedingly athletic. Then if you look at tennis, the "SpAussie" Alex de Minaur is considered one of the quickest (if not the quickest) on the men's tour. Then in cricket, the hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes of Steve Smith are essentially unsurpassed in that sport at present. Bit further back, and there's Ricky Ponting, Greg Chappell and, ultimately, Don Bradman. And then there's all those tennis players (Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, Tony Roche, John Newcombe, etc.) and swimming (Ian Thorpe, Grant Hackett, Susie O'Neill, Kyle Chalmers, etc.). And then some of the athletic Aussie Rules players who, unfortunately, didn't play football instead, such as Cyril Rioli. Australian sport bleeds talent to a code which isn't played outside VIC/SA/WA.

Australians aren't the "best" at sport on the planet. No nation can reasonably make that claim. Currently, Australia's the equivalent of an average European country. But it's categorically untrue to suggest that Aussies are "not real good at sport" or that haven't been "real good at sport" in the past. Another false dichotomy although I don't single you out there, tsf, I mean another false dichotomy that prevails in Australian society.

I am an Australian and keen sports fan and continuing participant, and I have to say I've long had an issue with the bullshit that the media spins around Australia as somehow an exceptional country in sports performance.  We are, at very best, mid table also rans in any genuinely global sport.

The stats in fact show we are to a worrying degree a nation of obese couch potatoes.  

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

CS - 30 Sep 2020 5:08 PM
quickflick - 30 Sep 2020 4:08 PM

The stats in fact show we are to a worrying degree a nation of obese couch potatoes.  

I agree that we're a nation of obese couch potatoes, particularly suburbs at a socio-economic disadvantage. But being that and excelling at elite sport isn't mutually exclusive. Look at the US.

It would be better if our obese couch potatoes were more involved in sport. Most importantly, it'd be good for their physical health and mental wellbeing. But it would also just make the player pool even bigger.

I have to say I've long had an issue with the bullshit that the media spins around Australia as somehow an exceptional country in sports performance.

Murdoch press, innit. That and the fact Australia's an island/continent in the middle of nowhere which has only been inhabited by Europeans for two and a bit centuries. People look at the United States and Europe and feel that there's lack of a "national narrative" (for white Australians, at least) and society wants to feel that their country is on the map. Sport is one means by which they seek to put it on the map. Personally, I think they should take pride in the multiculturalism of Australia and think of the national narrative in those terms.

However, between around the 1970s - 2004, overall, Australia was exceptional at sport (relative to population). Just as East Germany was until the collapse of the Berlin Wall (with the help of performance enhancing substances).

mid table also rans in any genuinely global sport.

The only truly global sport is football. Other international sports (basketball, tennis, swimming, cycling)... Australia is either reasonable or used to be. Then cricket isn't played in as many parts of the world as those sports. But where it is played, it's often more popular than those sport. It's the most popular sport in the second most populated country on the planet. Australia's average at cricket now, but used to be prolific.

I agree, though, that Australia's looking decidedly midtable in most international sports at present. But I would draw the distinction between an international sport and a global sport. The only truly global sport = football.
Edited
sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Australia has always been the best or close to the best in almost every sport.

However with football we are light years behind the top 10 teams in the world and no amount of hard work can change that.

It's a pipe dream to think we can be a top 10 team so most fans aren't remotely interested in the game and watching our mediocrity.
libelous
libelous
Amateur
Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)

sethman75 - 30 Sep 2020 5:36 PM
Australia has always been the best or close to the best in almost every sport.

However with football we are light years behind the top 10 teams in the world and no amount of hard work can change that.

It's a pipe dream to think we can be a top 10 team so most fans aren't remotely interested in the game and watching our mediocrity.

Which bring some us back to the fact that we only like winners.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search