Professional football is not popular in Australia...why?

Professional football is not popular in Australia...why?

Author
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 9:47 PM
Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 8:46 PM

2018 had France and Denmark came in as one of the best teams in Europe.  France won the whole damned thing..

Conveniently left we got smashed by Peru....

Come on bro ur trolling

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 10:09 PM
clockwork orange - 1 Oct 2020 5:06 PM

Wasnt much difference down here mate. Monday morning at school was all the Greek, Italian and Yugo kids giving each other shit over the weekends results and the Skip kids yelling at us to get the f**ck off the footy oval so they could kick they egg ball around, you know a real man's game.. Then all of a sudden in 2005 these same Neanderthals are walking around with Melbourne Victorious tops and telling us it's  not called Soccer anymore and when they light flares and punch on.at the soccer it's not as bad as when the ethnics did it....  hahahah f*ck me no wonder the A league fans think we are bitter... wouldn't you be?

I think the old hatreds are starting to simmer down a little as both camps realise that we sort of need each other to have any hope of this bloody ridiculous game of ours having any hope in hell of being popular let alone Aussies ever being any good at it... live in hope.

To answer the kid who asked how long before a club stops being plastic.... I think a club should at least have the right to choose it's own name colours and identity and not have their whole persona and ip dictated to them by the FFA. A license to participate in a competition ,owned by some rich wanker, does not make a club, it makes a franchise...  The old Soccer clubs are just like the old milk bars and fish and chip shops in the burbs.. cast away in favour of another  shiny Westfield...  But a lot of these old traditional places are still thriving and a lot have gentrified and improved the way they do things and the clientele they target.  I hope the Westfield stores survive the coming changes as well.

the problem with the ethnic clubs is that they saw themselves as de facto national teams

They even NAMED themselves as such. Melbourne/Sydney Croatia? Sth Melb Hellas. Preston Makedonia.  How is that in any shape or form inclusive?

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 9:44 PM

People idolize the golden generation-watch the games carefully.  Down 0-1 against Japan till the 84 th minute.  Offside goal against Croatia. No chance of scoring against Italy.

Honestly nothing i HATE more then 'IFS'

Sure IF Kewells goal was offside or Cahill didnt score.... 2006 might not be remembered the way it is 

OR we were unlucky to lose to Italy 'IF' there was no last min pen we could of beaten them, then would of beaten Ukraine in the next round and made the final four who knows what would of happened!!! 'IF'

'IF' Cristiano Ronaldo could of picked to play for Australia and football would be the biggest sport in this country - 'IFS' dont f**ken matter  it is about results 

That statement right there is why the AL is in the toilet becuz 'IF' it had P/R 'IF' the FFA took advantage of the fan fair wound WSW

'IF' the FFA didnt go to war with active support 

'IF' Kewell never got a red against Ghana .... 

Seriously 'IF' is NOT AN AGRUEMENT - 'IFS' are excuses or a clear indication you dont know what you are on about - thats not just in sport but in life 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:22 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 9:47 PM

Conveniently left we got smashed by Peru....

Come on bro ur trolling

It was over by then. 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bettega - 1 Oct 2020 9:58 PM
AJF - 1 Oct 2020 9:54 PM

This is basically what happened.  He was given a free reign to do whatever the hell he wanted.
So in the process, a 50 year old club (the Oceania club of the century) was not permitted to join (and the club that did end up coming in from Melbourne was part owned by the FFA for the whole of the first season).

Ah Lowy, the savior of Aussie Soccer.. hahahahahah  He so desperately wanted the other kids to play with him he almost drove poor Hakoa Club broke Spent the equivalent of millions for the time to forge a pretty solid squad and they got results too. But he just couldn't stand that the Greek, Italian and Cro clubs where pulling in crowds and making money and poor Sydney City was a bit like Tarneit Gypsies. He certainly got his revenge on the wogs in the end though didn't he?  

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 10:30 PM
Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:22 PM

It was over by then. 
It was also over for Peru didnt stop them from smashing us....

You need to look at both sides of the coin bruv 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 10:31 PM
bettega - 1 Oct 2020 9:58 PM

Ah Lowy, the savior of Aussie Soccer.. hahahahahah  He so desperately wanted the other kids to play with him he almost drove poor Hakoa Club broke Spent the equivalent of millions for the time to forge a pretty solid squad and they got results too. But he just couldn't stand that the Greek, Italian and Cro clubs where pulling in crowds and making money and poor Sydney City was a bit like Tarneit Gypsies. He certainly got his revenge on the wogs in the end though didn't he?  

Lowry intension were not all bad the AL has brought a friendly way for fans to engage with football i go to Victory games and 80% of the fans are wogs anyway.... 

But the league had no long term plan and it has got mega repetitive and boring to follow - due to previously mentioned reasons - the closed league system long term is clearly failing 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:29 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 9:44 PM

Honestly nothing i HATE more then 'IFS'

Sure IF Kewells goal was offside or Cahill didnt score.... 2006 might not be remembered the way it is 

OR we were unlucky to lose to Italy 'IF' there was no last min pen we could of beaten them, then would of beaten Ukraine in the next round and made the final four who knows what would of happened!!! 'IF'

'IF' Cristiano Ronaldo could of picked to play for Australia and football would be the biggest sport in this country - 'IFS' dont f**ken matter  it is about results 

That statement right there is why the AL is in the toilet becuz 'IF' it had P/R 'IF' the FFA took advantage of the fan fair wound WSW

'IF' the FFA didnt go to war with active support 

'IF' Kewell never got a red against Ghana .... 

Seriously 'IF' is NOT AN AGRUEMENT - 'IFS' are excuses or a clear indication you dont know what you are on about - thats not just in sport but in life

what it says is luck plays a bigger part in the results of this low scoring game than you think it, especially in tournaments. 

As was pointed out Verbeek in 2010 played 108 minutes out of 286 minutes with 10 men, with both Cahill and Kewell suspended.  Do you think the 2006 team gets 4 points and goes through doing that?

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:31 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 10:30 PM
It was also over for Peru didnt stop them from smashing us....

You need to look at both sides of the coin bruv 

3 shots on target and 2 goals. ..

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 10:36 PM
Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:29 PM

what it says is luck plays a bigger part in the results of this low scoring game than you think it, especially in tournaments. 

As was pointed out Verbeek in 2010 played 108 minutes out of 286 minutes with 10 men, with both Cahill and Kewell suspended.  Do you think the 2006 team gets 4 points and goes through doing that?

How many AL players played in the 2010 starting Line up 

Regardless it doesnt matter the 2010 team didnt make it out of the group the 2006 team did - what you remember is the result! - not ifs or buts or maybes 

Portugal won the last Euro coming 3rd in there group that was the 1st time all the 3rd teams wasnt eliminated in the group stage - does anyone care? no becuz what matters is the result. 

France were pretty terrible in the WC for the 1st 3-4 games they just got a result against team they should of blown away (including against us) they ended up world champions does anyone talk about them struggling NOOOOO!! 

Sport is about results but no sport is more ruthless about results then Football - there is no such thing as luck there is only results 

Right now you look at the Socceroos starting 11 and the clubs and level of the players and the result is significantly below par 

We won the Asian cup and the only 'good team' we played with South Korea - does it matter? NO becuz we won the cup no one cares we played sides like China!

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 10:41 PM
Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:31 PM

3 shots on target and 2 goals. ..

what's your point?

they beat us 

the only people who talk like that are losers 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 10:28 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 10:09 PM

the problem with the ethnic clubs is that they saw themselves as de facto national teams

They even NAMED themselves as such. Melbourne/Sydney Croatia? Sth Melb Hellas. Preston Makedonia.  How is that in any shape or form inclusive?

Yeah that's fair... I'll pay that. There where some pretty ugly times especially in the late 90s... Greaous fun though. Lol.  And also yes in a way I suppose there was a huge amount of Nationalism and I do get that a lot of non ethnics might have felt a little intimidated.
My serious question to you though is why do you think these clubs owe anything to you to be inclusive?  There is a lot of talk about clubs representing their community  and to some that means geographic. But you realise that the Greek community, the Croatian community etc etc are all just as valid in Australia. Some if these clubs bent over backwards with the limited resources they had to try and appeal to mainstream Australia. Some never bothered and probably never want to. If you don't like Greek food or Chinese food or Italian food then you either open your own restaurant or you eat at home..... This Aussie Xenophobia has to end sometime. Some of us are 4th generation Australians....

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot

I agree that Pim Verbeek’s side, at least, in terms of group stage results, were comparable with Guus’ side.

I also agree with you that even Bert was staggered that Australia couldn’t score in open play. He was baffled by how poor we were in front on goal (but that’s not something that can be conveniently ignored in doing a comparison).

Your What Ifs are also very selective. What if Japan’s goal had been disallowed for the foul against Mark Schwarzer? What if Josip Simunic’s ‘rugby tackle’ of Mark Viduka inside the penalty
box had resulted in the penalty that ought to have been given? What if Guus had used his bench properly against Italy? Australia end up very close to a quarter-final berth against Ukraine.

At the end of the day, all that can be looked at are the final results and the quality on the park.

Results-wise: Socceroos of 2006 did substantially better than the Socceroos of 2018

Quality-wise: Both sets of Socceroos had similar quality defences. But the 2006 Socceroos were heaps better than the 2018 Socceroos in terms of midfield and in front of goal.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:36 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 10:31 PM

Lowry intension were not all bad the AL has brought a friendly way for fans to engage with football i go to Victory games and 80% of the fans are wogs anyway.... 

But the league had no long term plan and it has got mega repetitive and boring to follow - due to previously mentioned reasons - the closed league system long term is clearly failing 

Oh yeah I dont doubt Victorys appeal to people. Look around next time at Victory, I can bet that most of the Greek looking dudes in their 40s where jumping up and down at Middle Park next to me back in the day.  I don't hate what the A league teams represent, I am actually jealous if you can believe that? How good would soccer in this country be with 5 or 6 of the bigger wog clubs still around playing in a league against New franchise's that are more receptive to mainstream ??  Can you honestly tell me that Hellas vs Victory (even now when we are aalmost on the ropes) woildnt be bigger than ANY other fixture in the league? Hahaha Lowy knew exactly what he was doing with the voluntary euthanasia of the ethnic clubs. Don't be fooled for a second mate. It was all intentional the slimy vindictive bastard. 

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 11:08 PM
Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 10:36 PM

Lowy knew exactly what he was doing with the voluntary euthanasia of the ethnic clubs. Don't be fooled for a second mate. It was all intentional the slimy vindictive bastard. 

I dont doubt that rich people didnt get rich without being a c**t 

Look eventually a few of the old clubs will return to the top division either via a 2nd division or directly. A team like South Melbourne if you ask me would have more support then Western United maybe even City.... 

But it is the way that is done needs to be carefully executed the club needs to be open to all peoples and culture but is more then welcome to have a Greek flavor - ie Greek food etc 

But the clubs themselves cannot be 'Greek' or 'Croatian' or 'Italian' etc they need to be open to that - most of the old clubs cant wont give that up and i understand it is 50% pride and 50% tradition but the AL and the old NSL clubs need to meet in the middle if you ask me. Lowry refused to do this and it is why now he is gone many football fans he did more harm then good to the game. 

regardless of all that my Biggest issue with Frank Lowry is he had little to no 'skin in the game' he promised the AL owners the league would be profitable and this amazing competition within 5 years but he HIMSELF never invested into the sport even though the man is a Billionaire (almost) for me i dont trust anyone selling a product they dont buy into themselves and then leaving his idiot of a son in charge was icing on the shit flavored cake 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Could’ve been-ism doesn’t help us improve.

Most of us here aren’t from Algeria, the US or Costa Rica. Do we remember the Round of 16 in the 2014 World Cup?

The USMNT outplayed Belgium for much of that match. They only lost 2-1 a.e.t. But does the rest of the world think about how they nearly won and probably should have won?

Does the whole world keep going over how Algeria only lost 2-1 a.e.t to Germany? So they took the eventual champions within a whisker of a penalty shoot out.

Costa Rica lost to the Netherlands on penalties in the quarter final of the 2014 World Cup. Does that somehow alter the final score?

Fact is, Australia’s not the only low- to mid-ranking team to have played well against a football superpower nation. Nor is Australia the only nation which just fell short after having come close to beating them.

While it’s good to be proud of the performance, it’s not good to lament the score line and to call it robbery.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

quickflick - 1 Oct 2020 11:21 PM

Most of us here aren’t from Algeria, the US or Costa Rica. Do we remember the Round of 16 in the 2014 World Cup?

The USMNT outplayed Belgium for much of that match. They only lost 2-1 a.e.t. But does the rest of the world think about how they nearly won and probably should have won?

Does the whole world keep going over how Algeria only lost 2-1 a.e.t to Germany? So they took the eventual champions within a whisker of a penalty shoot out.

Costa Rica lost to the Netherlands on penalties in the quarter final of the 2014 World Cup. Does that somehow alter the final score?

Fact is, Australia’s not the only low- to mid-ranking team to have played well against a football superpower nation. Nor is Australia the only nation which just fell short after having come close to beating them.

While it’s good to be proud of the performance, it’s not good to lament the score line and to call it robbery.

yet i swear i see 'fans' do this every world cup

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 10:51 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 10:28 PM

Yeah that's fair... I'll pay that. There where some pretty ugly times especially in the late 90s... Greaous fun though. Lol.  And also yes in a way I suppose there was a huge amount of Nationalism and I do get that a lot of non ethnics might have felt a little intimidated.
My serious question to you though is why do you think these clubs owe anything to you to be inclusive?  There is a lot of talk about clubs representing their community  and to some that means geographic. But you realise that the Greek community, the Croatian community etc etc are all just as valid in Australia. Some if these clubs bent over backwards with the limited resources they had to try and appeal to mainstream Australia. Some never bothered and probably never want to. If you don't like Greek food or Chinese food or Italian food then you either open your own restaurant or you eat at home..... This Aussie Xenophobia has to end sometime. Some of us are 4th generation Australians....

In the end their inability to broaden their appeal beyond their nationalism was not financially viable.  Its nice romanticise about money not mattering, but it does.  If you don't have fans, you don't get ticket sales, sponsors TV deals.  If that's what you want then fine, back to the future, but won't last.

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

quickflick - 1 Oct 2020 11:02 PM
Enzo Bearzot

I agree that Pim Verbeek’s side, at least, in terms of group stage results, were comparable with Guus’ side.

I also agree with you that even Bert was staggered that Australia couldn’t score in open play. He was baffled by how poor we were in front on goal (but that’s not something that can be conveniently ignored in doing a comparison).

Your What Ifs are also very selective. What if Japan’s goal had been disallowed for the foul against Mark Schwarzer? What if Josip Simunic’s ‘rugby tackle’ of Mark Viduka inside the penalty
box had resulted in the penalty that ought to have been given? What if Guus had used his bench properly against Italy? Australia end up very close to a quarter-final berth against Ukraine.

At the end of the day, all that can be looked at are the final results and the quality on the park.

Results-wise: Socceroos of 2006 did substantially better than the Socceroos of 2018

Quality-wise: Both sets of Socceroos had similar quality defences. But the 2006 Socceroos were heaps better than the 2018 Socceroos in terms of midfield and in front of goal.

There was no foul on Schwarzer.  Coaching mistakes don't count.

As for results, Verbeek was getting them and he got crucified for being results-focused.  Postecoglou wanted to "take them on" and was applauded for.... not winning. i actually blame Postecoglou for not being more pragmatic.

We could have actually beaten France, and Denmark, we had enough chances.  The point is, the difference in the general play between what happened in 2006 and 2018 was not as big as people imagine it. 

In the midfield Mooy, Jedinak and Rogic versus Culina, Bresc and Grella?  Flip of the coin really.

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

quickflick - 1 Oct 2020 11:21 PM

The other thing you need to realize is that this game is rigged at the World Cup.  Wait, just hear me out...

The minnows do NOT get the 50-50 calls.  Do you think we get the Risdon penalty on Griezman against France if it  was the other way around. No chance!  FFs I reckon we don't even get the handball without VAR, the ref took his sweet time about it

Do you recall Sth Korea against Germany?  97 minutes.  Do you think Sth Korea gets 7 minutes extra time against Germany if they were 2-0 down?  Its a joke how FIFA shafts the minnows.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Only losers talk like that, the what's IFs, the could have's etc, winners set high standards and get the job done.

No praising about effort, all about what counts which is the result and having the quality to do so.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Barca4Life
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 11:42 PM
quickflick - 1 Oct 2020 11:02 PM

There was no foul on Schwarzer.  Coaching mistakes don't count.

As for results, Verbeek was getting them and he got crucified for being results-focused.  Postecoglou wanted to "take them on" and was applauded for.... not winning. i actually blame Postecoglou for not being more pragmatic.

We could have actually beaten France, and Denmark, we had enough chances.  The point is, the difference in the general play between what happened in 2006 and 2018 was not as big as people imagine it. 

In the midfield Mooy, Jedinak and Rogic versus Culina, Bresc and Grella?  Flip of the coin really.

Agree re infuriation with Ange’s lack of pragmatism.

Re the foul or non-foul on Schwarzer... if a penalty ought to have been awarded against Cahill, then the Japanese goal ought to have been disallowed for the Japanese player holding the Australian goalkeeper. You can’t have it both ways.

Same as Harry’s offside goal vs Croatia. If that’s disallowed, then you gotta call out Graham Poll for not giving Viduka a penalty when he was rugby tackled in the box. Again, you can’t have it both ways.

What chances did we have against France and Denmark? Against the French we didn’t get a shot on target in open play. You can’t win a group stage match if you don’t get any shots away.

As for the Culina, Bresc and Grella vs Mooy, Rogic and Jedinak. The first three win by a country mile.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 11:26 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 10:51 PM

In the end their inability to broaden their appeal beyond their nationalism was not financially viable.  Its nice romanticise about money not mattering, but it does.  If you don't have fans, you don't get ticket sales, sponsors TV deals.  If that's what you want then fine, back to the future, but won't last.

Ah so it was financial viability NOT racism that has excluded these 50 plus year old clubs for 16 years and counting now????  Broaden their appeal??? Hahaha your right maybe they won't  last. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 11:19 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Oct 2020 11:08 PM

I dont doubt that rich people didnt get rich without being a c**t 

Look eventually a few of the old clubs will return to the top division either via a 2nd division or directly. A team like South Melbourne if you ask me would have more support then Western United maybe even City.... 

But it is the way that is done needs to be carefully executed the club needs to be open to all peoples and culture but is more then welcome to have a Greek flavor - ie Greek food etc 

But the clubs themselves cannot be 'Greek' or 'Croatian' or 'Italian' etc they need to be open to that - most of the old clubs cant wont give that up and i understand it is 50% pride and 50% tradition but the AL and the old NSL clubs need to meet in the middle if you ask me. Lowry refused to do this and it is why now he is gone many football fans he did more harm then good to the game. 

regardless of all that my Biggest issue with Frank Lowry is he had little to no 'skin in the game' he promised the AL owners the league would be profitable and this amazing competition within 5 years but he HIMSELF never invested into the sport even though the man is a Billionaire (almost) for me i dont trust anyone selling a product they dont buy into themselves and then leaving his idiot of a son in charge was icing on the shit flavored cake 

But they shouldn't have too if they don't want to mate. That the  point. NCIP was vile. As long as a club is not breaking any Australian discrimination laws  and doesn't use any controversial or offensive imagery etc I believe they should brand themselves however their voting members decide. That's the beauty of club culture which I feel we are lacking. A club 
Ike Hume city has the Turkish flag as it's logo this year. I'm sure that if the voting members of the club wherent happy with this they would vote to change directions and go mainstream  .... it's up to them. Joe blogs down in Campbellfield who wants to follow a team in winter can either go and watch, or if he deisnt agree with the Turkish flavour he can go to another club.. I'm sure Hume would never turn away a paying customer. This cringy racism has to stop here mate. I can support Hellas Verona in Serie A but not South Melbourne Hellas? 
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Davstar - 1 Oct 2020 7:12 PM
df1982 - 1 Oct 2020 6:29 PM

i'd argue the 2006 squad was a 'NSL' developed team 

I'd also argue the last 2 world cup  where we basically had mostly AL developed players where terrible (we didnt win a game) 

Yes, the 2006 squad was initially developed by the NSL (and the AIS, don't forget) up to a certain age bracket, but almost of the players had left the NSL for Europe by the time they had hit 20. And the administration frittered away the talent through misgovernment at the top, so we didn't take properly advantage of it until after they had been shown the door.

By the same token, the current poor state of the Socceroos is due to the development black hole of the 2005-2010 era, when the NSL clubs were demoted and had to rebuild in the state leagues, while the A-League clubs were mostly built from scratch, and took a long time to get properly functioning academies going. But they have these now, some of them doing very well (Wellington, City, Sydney). We just won't see the true results for another decade.

df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Oct 2020 1:42 AM

But they shouldn't have too if they don't want to mate. That the  point. NCIP was vile. As long as a club is not breaking any Australian discrimination laws  and doesn't use any controversial or offensive imagery etc I believe they should brand themselves however their voting members decide. That's the beauty of club culture which I feel we are lacking. A club 
Ike Hume city has the Turkish flag as it's logo this year. I'm sure that if the voting members of the club wherent happy with this they would vote to change directions and go mainstream  .... it's up to them. Joe blogs down in Campbellfield who wants to follow a team in winter can either go and watch, or if he deisnt agree with the Turkish flavour he can go to another club.. I'm sure Hume would never turn away a paying customer. This cringy racism has to stop here mate. I can support Hellas Verona in Serie A but not South Melbourne Hellas? 

I think it's fine to have these kinds of clubs in the lower divisions and agree about the NCIP. But the problem is they have an innate ceiling to their support. South Melbourne is probably the only "monoethnic" team capable of supporting a professional-level side, because of the number of Greeks in Melbourne (but even then their support is shared with Port Melbourne, Oakleigh, Heidelberg, etc., and even at the height of SMH's success they only averaged crowds of 5-6k per game). None of the other clubs are capable of getting more than a couple of thousand fans week-in, week-out. You need broadbased clubs at the top level of the game if you want to have 10,000+ fans at games, with the potential of more in the future.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Oct 2020 1:42 AM

Yeah migrant clubs happen all over the world like in Sweden, Chile, the lower leagues of Germany but it's only here and Irish clubs in Scotland were it's had any sort of backlash. No one gives a shit that Audax Italiano, Unión Española and Palestino in Chile are migrant clubs, let alone have other countries in their name but in Australia all the Anglos freak out when anything in Football strays from their norm.

Viennese Vuck

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

quickflick - 2 Oct 2020 1:13 AM
Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 11:42 PM

What chances did we have against France and Denmark? Against the French we didn’t get a shot on target in open play. You can’t win a group stage match if you don’t get any shots away.

No open-play shots on target vs France. But Denmark Rogic, Leckie, Arzani on target with only keeper stopping them. Peru it was only Rogic on target, but keeper saved it
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 1 Oct 2020 7:43 PM
Every player that started against the eventual World Champions in 2018 WC developed their game to its highest level in the A-League before going overseas.  They lost 1-2.

The best the 2006 Socceroos could do against the eventual 2006 Champions was 0-1 loss against 10 men

Both played against cheating World Cup Winners so this is a 100% like for like, scientifically-validate by me comparison.

A-league wins player development for Socceroos.

Sure they did sunshine, Kewel, Miligan and Jedinak didnt play in the NSL, Mooy never went to UK at 19. With only Ryan playing in a decent league at the moment AL is tops for development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Australia

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

I don't recall Kewell actually playing a single minute in the NSL.

Milligan's, Jedinak and Mooy's careers were going nowhere prior to the A-League.  Their careers were on the scrap heap

Mooy-the best player we've had since the 2006 and a certain starter in that team was another Euro wannbe failure until Melb City bought him.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search