5 games in the ACL, 5 losses....

5 games in the ACL, 5 losses....

Author
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thoughts? 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Doesn't reflect the performances of our teams. Sydney and Perth really shouldn't have lost any of their games.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

sub007 - 25 Nov 2020 10:49 PM
Doesn't reflect the performances of our teams. Sydney and Perth really shouldn't have lost any of their games.

Well at least your optimistic sub007 ill give you that.

df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Davstar - 25 Nov 2020 10:47 PM
Thoughts? 

It's pre-season for the clubs, many of them are missing key first-team players, and the ones who are there probably don't want to be by the sounds of it. This year is a write-off. We have a lot of rebuilding to do before we can be competitive in Asia (again?). Aligning the A-League season with the ACL will probably help a bit.

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Davstar - 25 Nov 2020 10:55 PM

Well at least your optimistic sub007 ill give you that.

They weren't second best in any of their games so I wouldn't say it's optimism. In the games I've seen they have matched their opponents on the day or even outplayed them but they aren't getting the results to reflect their performances. 

If they keep playing like they are, the results will eventually come.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

sub007 - 25 Nov 2020 11:01 PM

They weren't second best in any of their games so I wouldn't say it's optimism. In the games I've seen they have matched their opponents on the day or even outplayed them but they aren't getting the results to reflect their performances. 

Fair enough - i dont agree but everyone is allowed an opinion 

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

It’s a bit like our national team where we’re just missing a striker. I can’t wait to see how melbourne city go I think with mclaren and our lads we could push the knockout stage 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

One of the things that separates a good from a great player or team is the cohesion that playing a lot of games together does for the individual and the team. I feel we are selling ourselves short by continuing this facade of playing a minimal number of games a season. Get it up to 35 to 40 and see our players gel that little better.
As said regarding strikers, its that little bit of an edge that makes the final pass or goal.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I've been watching out for the games on Fox, assuming they would be shown on this network, but haven't seen any  scheduled.

Where have you guys been watching the ACL games?
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Footballking55 - 26 Nov 2020 7:59 AM

One of the things that separates a good from a great player or team is the cohesion that playing a lot of games together does for the individual and the team. I feel we are selling ourselves short by continuing this facade of playing a minimal number of games a season. Get it up to 35 to 40 and see our players gel that little better.
As said regarding strikers, its that little bit of an edge that makes the final pass or goal.

Well said.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 26 Nov 2020 9:05 AM

I've been watching out for the games on Fox, assuming they would be shown on this network, but haven't seen any  scheduled.

It’s usually on 507
Georgeg
Georgeg
Hacker
Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)Hacker (318 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Nov 2020 7:54 AM
It’s a bit like our national team where we’re just missing a striker. I can’t wait to see how melbourne city go I think with mclaren and our lads we could push the knockout stage 

A lot will depend on Melbourne City in a year , they may not have McClaren and this is the problem of our league and the cap. We have a lot of unsettled teams, those Asian teams are relatively unsettled or enhanced from when they win the leagues/comps till they enter the ACL. It is just not realistic to compete in Asia and to have a cap. Allow our teams to spend whatever they need it is not about throwing around big money rather spending properly in key areas. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

On Fox, never look at the channel # but its listed when going to the Sport section.

Love Football

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Melbcityguy - 26 Nov 2020 9:10 AM

It’s usually on 507

Thanks, MCG.

I've been looking out on week nights, like Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

It would have been disappointing to watch 5 losses though.

I'm usually more vigilant about watching ACL games than A League.

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

LFC. - 26 Nov 2020 9:13 AM

On Fox, never look at the channel # but its listed when going to the Sport section.

Even then  it hasn't come up when I've looked at general sports channels for Fox . 

They must have been playing on different days and some odd times.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Melbcityguy - 26 Nov 2020 9:10 AM

It’s usually on 507

Thanks a bunch.

I've now got quite a few ACL games to view in the future, plus I can look at already completed games.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“No points yet but more respect for A League teams in Asia”

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/no-points-yet-but-more-respect-for-a-league-teams-in-asia

Damn-it, hate it when the press try and contradict the Karen’s of this world ... 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Hahahahaha maybe they'll give out participation awards this year?
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Nov 2020 11:23 AM

Hahahahaha maybe they'll give out participation awards this year?

Yes Karen 😂
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Waz - 26 Nov 2020 11:23 AM

Yes Karen 😂

Wow two "Karens" in a row? Touched a nerve did I? hhahahahahahah
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
df1982 - 25 Nov 2020 10:59 PM
Davstar - 25 Nov 2020 10:47 PM

It's pre-season for the clubs, many of them are missing key first-team players, and the ones who are there probably don't want to be by the sounds of it. This year is a write-off. 

All the other teams are in the same boat, mind you.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
Josh
Josh
Pro

Waz - 26 Nov 2020 11:23 AM

Yes Karen 😂

Waz, I like you but I disagree here mate. We’re not gaining respect at all, we are losing it. 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

I said this a few times, most of the players didn't want to go, and the clubs were looking for a way to gracefully and cheaply drop out.
In the end, they had to go, and they all just want to get home safely now as quickly as possible.
I wouldn't read anything into the results.
Anyway, we know all the other teams have more money, given that fact, Australian teams are rarely embarrassed.
For the most part, they've played ok, albeit they haven't picked up a point, which never looks good.

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Aussie clubs are a laughing stock in Asia. An easy three points. 
Our players are not mentally resilient enough, nor are they technically proficient enough to capitalise when we're on top. Other teams can just wait for us to switch off and and counter us with precision. It's sad and embarrassing really. The best team in Australia over the past 4 years has only won one game in 20 in Asia. Says a lot about how far behind the rest of Asia we are. 
Let's not kid ourselves either, dominating a match for 60 mins is meaningless if you don't win the game!
We'll soon end up with the aleague champions getting a half spot in the ACL and have 2 spots in the AFC league (or whatever it's called)
sub007
sub007
World Class

Footballking55 - 26 Nov 2020 7:59 AM

Our teams are in pre-season and haven't finished their recruitment yet which definitely plays a part in that.
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

The reality is, these are the first few games these players have played together, Perth and Victory more-so. The majority of the Asian clubs are just finishing their seasons or have finished them.  The circumstances surrounding this whole thing wouldn't be ideal for many of these players leaving the safest place on earth in terms of Covid.

Ive been relatively impressed with the performances of the Aussie clubs, all that has been missing is a killers edge in the front third. It's not like these teams are losing 5-0. these are standard losing margins. Its actually quite funny reading all of the over the top reactions to our clubs losing by a close margin as if we've just been flogged. 

The reality is, all of the factors surrounding the Aussie clubs performances in this ACL have been exponentially stacked against them, and i reckon they are actually doing fairly well considering.

Good to see some new players getting exposure, I've been super impressed by Calem Nieuwenhof, Luke Bodnar, Daniel Stynes And Gianluca Iannucci. Straight from the NPL to performing in the ACL. Great stuff.

sub007
sub007
World Class

Ds98 - 26 Nov 2020 12:46 PM
The reality is, these are the first few games these players have played together, Perth and Victory more-so. The majority of the Asian clubs are just finishing their seasons or have finished them.  The circumstances surrounding this whole thing wouldn't be ideal for many of these players leaving the safest place on earth in terms of Covid.

Ive been relatively impressed with the performances of the Aussie clubs, all that has been missing is a killers edge in the front third. It's not like these teams are losing 5-0. these are standard losing margins. Its actually quite funny reading all of the over the top reactions to our clubs losing by a close margin as if we've just been flogged. 

The reality is, all of the factors surrounding the Aussie clubs performances in this ACL have been exponentially stacked against them, and i reckon they are actually doing fairly well considering.

Good to see some new players getting exposure, I've been super impressed by Calem Nieuwenhof, Luke Bodnar, Daniel Stynes And Gianluca Iannucci. Straight from the NPL to performing in the ACL. Great stuff.

This.

Fantastic post.
AJF
AJF
Pro

kaufusi - 26 Nov 2020 12:38 PM
Aussie clubs are a laughing stock in Asia. An easy three points. 
Our players are not mentally resilient enough, nor are they technically proficient enough to capitalise when we're on top. Other teams can just wait for us to switch off and and counter us with precision. It's sad and embarrassing really. The best team in Australia over the past 4 years has only won one game in 20 in Asia. Says a lot about how far behind the rest of Asia we are. 
Let's not kid ourselves either, dominating a match for 60 mins is meaningless if you don't win the game!
We'll soon end up with the aleague champions getting a half spot in the ACL and have 2 spots in the AFC league (or whatever it's called)

Every coach gives the bench warmers a good run when they are playing weak teams and this is what's happening in the ACL when teams face AL teams. Also players dont go all out when playing against weaker teams as they dont want to risk injury. If AL teams want respect then they should start picking up some points by actually winning

AJF
AJF
Pro

enjoy watching them now, because when AL season starts they will be consigned to the bench as the pensioners get a run

Waz
Waz
Legend

AJF - 26 Nov 2020 12:54 PM

enjoy watching them now, because when AL season starts they will be consigned to the bench as the pensioners get a run

It’s an awful comment ... but too true. While we’re drugging around with the competition rules it is time for an x number of U23 rule in the starting line up surely 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search