The Aussies Abroad Thread 2

The Aussies Abroad Thread 2

Author
Booney
Amateur
Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
At 31 Maty should be coming into his best years as a keeper.He doesn't have lengthy stays at any clubs which is a concern but still is the first choice Socceroos keeper.

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Booney - 31 Mar 2024 9:43 AM
At 31 Maty should be coming into his best years as a keeper.He doesn't have lengthy stays at any clubs which is a concern but still is the first choice Socceroos keeper.

And he's being pushed out again. This is a long standing pattern abs it doesn't happen by accident. 
hellas_johnny
hellas_johnny
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Blast from the past.  Brad Smith came on in the 57th minute last night.. still only 29
mark_000au
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 4:37 AM
mark_000au - 31 Mar 2024 4:27 AM

He wasnt torn apart last time it was the final round of quals and he is likely to improve as he is entering his prime

He was torn apart last time against Japan and Saudi Arabia. I didn't see 1 great game out of him other than that assist to Grant in the away game against Vietnam (Even that game a few bad turnovers from him too).  More like a liability than a creative midfielder.

Even the last game against Lebanon, his assist to Goodwin wasnt  good.  Goodwin had to use his individuals skills to nail that goal. He always overdid things and wasting many good opportunities.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

mark_000au - 31 Mar 2024 5:15 PM
grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 4:37 AM

He was torn apart last time against Japan and Saudi Arabia. I didn't see 1 great game out of him other than that assist to Grant in the away game against Vietnam (Even that game a few bad turnovers from him too).  More like a liability than a creative midfielder.

Even the last game against Lebanon, his assist to Goodwin wasnt  good.  Goodwin had to use his individuals skills to nail that goal. He always overdid things and wasting many good opportunities.

he scored against japan and I recall him being our best layer that match. Is there a full replay?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 5:25 PM

he scored against japan and I recall him being our best layer that match. Is there a full replay?

I think he's referring to the Japan home game. Hrustic was all alone that night and gave it a good go. He was instructed to linger on the right and it created some chances. Saudi away was a dead rubber but Hrustic was the one who put the Boyle through for Boyle to score and it was a millimetre offside 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

charlied - 31 Mar 2024 2:55 PM
Booney - 31 Mar 2024 9:43 AM

And he's being pushed out again. This is a long standing pattern abs it doesn't happen by accident. 

The majority of his most recent deals have been on a short term basis with the club eyeing someone they've already got. Both ends of the deal have been held up here. AZ have profited immensely from this signing. Copenhagen did too by getting to the UCL. This youth keeper is promising for them and they seemingly don't want him to have to play another youth season. 

In saying that Ryan has had an excellent season with many cleansheets and that's with a defence that has its day and also cops a lot from their fans. I really hope a Saudi move doesn't happen. MLS doesn't really delight me either. Somewhere in the Championship or Bundesliga 2 would be great. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Bundesliga 2 session today. I expect only Irvine to start. They've had 4 nights in their own beds after the journey so they should be reasonably fresh. 
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

johnszasz - 31 Mar 2024 6:05 PM
charlied - 31 Mar 2024 2:55 PM

The majority of his most recent deals have been on a short term basis with the club eyeing someone they've already got. Both ends of the deal have been held up here. AZ have profited immensely from this signing. Copenhagen did too by getting to the UCL. This youth keeper is promising for them and they seemingly don't want him to have to play another youth season. 

In saying that Ryan has had an excellent season with many cleansheets and that's with a defence that has its day and also cops a lot from their fans. I really hope a Saudi move doesn't happen. MLS doesn't really delight me either. Somewhere in the Championship or Bundesliga 2 would be great. 

But it is a pattern. He's not seen as a top line keeper. I can't see why a Saudi move is an issue. He's had his opportunities and it's clear how her is perceived at a range of clubs. Why not set himself up for life financially? 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

johnszasz - 31 Mar 2024 5:38 PM

I think he's referring to the Japan home game. Hrustic was all alone that night and gave it a good go. He was instructed to linger on the right and it created some chances. Saudi away was a dead rubber but Hrustic was the one who put the Boyle through for Boyle to score and it was a millimetre offside 

fair enough

it wasn't the greatest qualification campaign tbh
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

charlied - 31 Mar 2024 7:02 PM
johnszasz - 31 Mar 2024 6:05 PM

But it is a pattern. He's not seen as a top line keeper. I can't see why a Saudi move is an issue. He's had his opportunities and it's clear how her is perceived at a range of clubs. Why not set himself up for life financially? 

A pattern indeed. The Spanish clubs aside,  have been worse off in goal after and the fans get so annoyed that their apparent new saviour doesn't live up to expectations. Sanchez is a donkey. Brighton have Steele of all people and that Dutch kid is way underdone. Grabara is a fuckwit and has been found out this season and has already signed for Wolfsburg. It's going to be hilarious seeing him next season. 

Ryan surely has enough money. How much is enough to sacrifice the level and play in such a tacky league? People say the Saudi league is good the moment our national team players there make an error they get slandered for the club level they chose. 

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 30 Mar 2024 4:41 PM
Balin Trev - 30 Mar 2024 3:53 PM

To be fair didn't Metcalfe play as a winger for St Pauli? 

Yes plays RAM in 4231 for St Pauli. Cutting in on his left foot. Looks better as a winger I have to say 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Iredale bench. Irvine and Metcalfe starting 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Irvine and Metcalfe starting. Iredale bench. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Won't be watching today but following. Got Hannover game on phone while at Easter thing..... Massive day for St Pauli and Wiesbaden to take steps towards their goals. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Tete Yengi starting against Celtic. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Metcalfe starting after international break is a great sign he is in the coaches plans next season
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 10:36 PM
Metcalfe starting after international break is a great sign he is in the coaches plans next season

I'm not entirely sure on their budget for next season. I expect a few smart free transfers. It'll hopefully be one of those confident promotion sides that side in 6th after 10 games. I also anticipate Irvine and Metcalfe to feature. Irvine has lots of Championship experience to draw on so he'll have his smarts. Metcalfe will hopefully get even better. He'll have less space but then the quick passing and movement he's good at will be common. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Incredible
Hrustic starts

Cant for the life of me find a st pauli stream
mark_000au
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Was that his best game already? Oh dear ...

Yes he scored but he was outplayed by Japan in that game. None of the Socceroos played well in that game. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Irvine assist. Metcalfe on a yellow. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

mark_000au - 31 Mar 2024 10:55 PM

Was that his best game already? Oh dear ...

Yes he scored but he was outplayed by Japan in that game. None of the Socceroos played well in that game. 

The conceded goals aside it was a pretty concentrated performance where Australia won a lot of duels and Japan were tame. Hrustic came off the bench that day. 

For me it was then that the campaign came undone as Taggart got injured and then the link up play with Boyle and others just disappeared. Arnold then really panicked by changing things around where Leckie was a striker Saudi home. Souttar got injured. Oman and China saw Maclaren and Duke up front. Add the conundrum of Mooy and Rogic rejoining Hrustic was just a bench player again. It was the Playoffs where Hrustic had two very sound displays only boosted by his solid club form in Frankfurt.

When you think about it Hrustic hasn't played much for the national team at all. 24 caps. He's just getting started. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 10:55 PM
Incredible
Hrustic starts

Cant for the life of me find a st pauli stream

Good news on the injury front. I'd rather have Hrustic on the ball than a number of others older than 25 that we call up. He took the game on in the first game and the second game second half saw good passing and an assist. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 31 Mar 2024 11:16 PM
mark_000au - 31 Mar 2024 10:55 PM

The conceded goals aside it was a pretty concentrated performance where Australia won a lot of duels and Japan were tame. Hrustic came off the bench that day. 

For me it was then that the campaign came undone as Taggart got injured and then the link up play with Boyle and others just disappeared. Arnold then really panicked by changing things around where Leckie was a striker Saudi home. Souttar got injured. Oman and China saw Maclaren and Duke up front. Add the conundrum of Mooy and Rogic rejoining Hrustic was just a bench player again. It was the Playoffs where Hrustic had two very sound displays only boosted by his solid club form in Frankfurt.

When you think about it Hrustic hasn't played much for the national team at all. 24 caps. He's just getting started. 

I remember souttar being injured turned us from a team that was up there with the japans of asia to a team that struggled against the 2nd teir. He was pretty influential 

I reckon he isnt quite as brilliant as he was despite being fantastic, the lack of game time is hurting his edge. If he gets game time at club level he could be huge the 2nd round
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Nice direct assist by Irvine there. It seems his manager wouldn't be happy with hesitation. Something the national team needs to release themselves of. Seeing Yazbek just going for it was refreshing. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 31 Mar 2024 11:27 PM
johnszasz - 31 Mar 2024 11:16 PM

I remember souttar being injured turned us from a team that was up there with the japans of asia to a team that struggled against the 2nd teir. He was pretty influential 

I reckon he isnt quite as brilliant as he was despite being fantastic, the lack of game time is hurting his edge. If he gets game time at club level he could be huge the 2nd round

His presence alone is a big benefit and it was such a weird time. The experience of Sainsbury and Degenek judt cracked the they were way off the pace. In hindsight Jeggo isn't better than our current options but at the time added some real bite to our midfield. That was the issue then. Hrustic and Irvine on the 6 were insanely nervous. Now we play both higher up and they're much calmer. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

St Pauli lead 2:0. If Hamburg don't win its a 12 point gap. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Iredale on with 16 left. They're down 1:0 at home to the bottom side putting themselves in a bit of trouble. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Genreau on bench. 
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Genreau on the bench for the first time in ages. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search