A-League Weekly Attendance's

A-League Weekly Attendance's

Author
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
an interesting tweet from a South Melbourne supporter:

In 1991, when Melb had a population of 3.2 million & 5 #NSL teams, we saw a Melb derby GF crowd of 23,318.

In 2022, our game has progressed so far, we have 3 #ALeague teams, a population of 5.1 million & a Melb derby GF of 22,495.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

My goodness.

A League is looking very dismal with just over 5000 fans per game average. That is a total collapse. 

The FFA is going to have to do something here - bring back the clubs in a second division and have promotion and relegation.

If this continues, A League is a dead duck. 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

bettega - 29 May 2022 10:09 AM

In 1991, when Melb had a population of 3.2 million & 5 #NSL teams, we saw a Melb derby GF crowd of 23,318.

In 2022, our game has progressed so far, we have 3 #ALeague teams, a population of 5.1 million & a Melb derby GF of 22,495.

So, are the NPL teams thriving,  and the A League teams suffering? What is your point? NSL also dipped until it Collapsed. It Absolutely Failed.
Everyone knows that the Football CODE as a collective has been suffering, including South Melbourne like everyone else! Mainly because of how the FFA, now FA/APL have, and do run the game, such as the Mass Postponements, being as Insular Closed League and on a Budget Salary Crap, Gallop, Townsend and Nikou style.
Next year, if the Leagues can unite via a NSD as a starting point, as part of a general Reset, crowds may start coming back.
Crowds do have to get off their collective asses and go to games, as well as subscribe to Paramount plus or just watch Channel 10, the product is there. 
Edited
2 Years Ago by soccerfoo
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

It was also a sell out at the old Olympic Park.

If Docklands existed back then the demand would have been high enough to have the match played there. Surprisingly the mainstream media coverage of that gf here in Melbourne was huge.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Hahahah thats gotta have been my man Mickey? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 29 May 2022 6:17 PM
My goodness.

A League is looking very dismal with just over 5000 fans per game average. That is a total collapse. 

The FFA is going to have to do something here - bring back the clubs in a second division and have promotion and relegation.

If this continues, A League is a dead duck. 

Stiff that, dont drag us down with the plastic sinking ship...., Let the Aleague stand alone for as long as it lasts.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 29 May 2022 10:03 PM
mouflonrouge - 29 May 2022 6:17 PM

Stiff that, dont drag us down with the plastic sinking ship...., Let the Aleague stand alone for as long as it lasts.

You are probably right. It seems like its a sinking ship. It might be best that the clubs don't get on board it before it sinks. 

But on the other hand, the clubs may be able to resurrect football in Australia.

There are hundreds of thousands football fans who are disenfranchised when the FFA embarked on a program of inquisition against it's football base. If we are able to get these people back, then the A League has better chances of surviving and thriving. 

So it's very difficult to look at the crystal ball.

I happen to believe that if we are somehow able to resurrect the A League and bring the grassroots back into the fold then that in my humble opinion will good for the game in Australia. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

mouflonrouge - 30 May 2022 12:43 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 29 May 2022 10:03 PM

You are probably right. It seems like its a sinking ship. It might be best that the clubs don't get on board it before it sinks. 

But on the other hand, the clubs may be able to resurrect football in Australia.

There are hundreds of thousands football fans who are disenfranchised when the FFA embarked on a program of inquisition against it's football base. If we are able to get these people back, then the A League has better chances of surviving and thriving. 

So it's very difficult to look at the crystal ball.

I happen to believe that if we are somehow able to resurrect the A League and bring the grassroots back into the fold then that in my humble opinion will good for the game in Australia. 

It would be very good for the game in Australia however it doesn't appear as if the APL wants to or can connect with the rest of us.... Time for Football Australia to cut the apron strings and just move on.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

A foreign equity partner now owns about one third of the APL.
They have invested in the closed shop football model.
Do you reckon they give a damn about grassroots football?
Do you think they want to share broadcast and sponsorship dollars with anyone outside of the APL?
Absolutely zero chance.

Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

bettega - 30 May 2022 1:41 PM

Makes   you   wonder   what   the  APL   have   done   with  all   the   money   from   selling   off   the  leagues .

22k   to  a  Grand  Final   ffs ...
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

bettega - 30 May 2022 1:41 PM
They have invested in the closed shop football model.
Do you reckon they give a damn about grassroots football?
Do you think they want to share broadcast and sponsorship dollars with anyone outside of the APL?
Absolutely zero chance.

That the APL decided to hand over 1/3 of the League to someone who doesn't give a damn tells you the APL don't either

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

What sort of crowds can teams expect for next season? 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Jun 2022 8:48 PM

Honestly it’s too hard to tell. Given the struggles other sports are also finding, getting people back into the habit of attending matches will be a very important thing to get right. 

This year APL are going to have to do far better though at finding ways to build interest. New initiatives and an advertising campaign that really does create some excitement must be achieved.

It won’t be easy though, but this season will be a very important to boost confidence and bring back the interest that has rapidly been declining for quite some time.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Heart_fan - 26 Jun 2022 11:12 PM

Honestly it’s too hard to tell. Given the struggles other sports are also finding, getting people back into the habit of attending matches will be a very important thing to get right. 

This year APL are going to have to do far better though at finding ways to build interest. New initiatives and an advertising campaign that really does create some excitement must be achieved.

It won’t be easy though, but this season will be a very important to boost confidence and bring back the interest that has rapidly been declining for quite some time.

At this point you would have to beg AFL to join Para. No way should they. 

Aleague should never have left Kayo. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Hard to say. My other sport nrl didnt rebound apart from origin and magic round

i think people are cautious of large crowss until the pandemic is truly over, not just over in terms of restrictions. Boosters aimed at new variants will help and hopefully out by the season

i think ive had trouble following teams with the same degree of intensity as i normally do

its hard to find highlights on keepup. There arent good player stats. Not a lot of articles on the intrigue and drama of on field performances (theroar at the moment seems to be the best which isnt great…)

its beeen hard to figure out when matches are on…
yeah its been a tough year
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

grazorblade - 27 Jun 2022 3:02 PM

i think people are cautious of large crowss until the pandemic is truly over, not just over in terms of restrictions. Boosters aimed at new variants will help and hopefully out by the season

i think ive had trouble following teams with the same degree of intensity as i normally do

its hard to find highlights on keepup. There arent good player stats. Not a lot of articles on the intrigue and drama of on field performances (theroar at the moment seems to be the best which isnt great…)

I get all the info from here or a league Reddit. Then highlights on YouTube then a few podcasts but I do get your point and I wouldn’t even bother with keep up
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 27 Jun 2022 3:44 PM

I get all the info from here or a league Reddit. Then highlights on YouTube then a few podcasts but I do get your point and I wouldn’t even bother with keep up

is there a site for player stats? Aleague.com.au use to have all sorts of individual stats

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

grazorblade - 27 Jun 2022 4:02 PM
Melbcityguy - 27 Jun 2022 3:44 PM

is there a site for player stats? Aleague.com.au use to have all sorts of individual stats

I don’t know if there is a site but I recommend FotMob which has stats and fixture or a league live which are both apps 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 27 Jun 2022 2:37 PM
Heart_fan - 26 Jun 2022 11:12 PM

At this point you would have to beg AFL to join Para. No way should they. 

Aleague should never have left Kayo. 

you mean Fox - welcome back Legend !

Love Football

bettega
bettega
World Class

Agree with a lot of that, bloody hard to find stats and info.
Also, I know it was an interrupted season, but there were times when it's like 7pm or something, and you discover that a game just finished, and it started at 5pm or something like that, and you're wondering:  bloody hell, who knew that was on??

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Before the pandemic wsw had crowd averages dip below 10k. Stupid question: what happened?
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

grazorblade - 3 Jul 2022 7:34 AM
Before the pandemic wsw had crowd averages dip below 10k. Stupid question: what happened?

Weren' t   they   "homeless "  for  a  couple  of  seasons ?
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

3rd last will do that to a club.

Interestingly in the 3 seasons affected by the pandemic they either had the highest or second highest average attendance.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Gyfox - 10 Jul 2022 10:44 AM

3rd last will do that to a club.

Interestingly in the 3 seasons affected by the pandemic they either had the highest or second highest average attendance.

maybe they can return. Such a promising club
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

squawka give good a league stats and might be a good replacement for aleague.com.au
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Australia cup attendance:

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/football/results

Geez not worth hiring Aami park when you can’t fill a quarter of it 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Melbcityguy - 4 Aug 2022 7:26 AM
Australia cup attendance:

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/football/results

Geez not worth hiring Aami park when you can’t fill a quarter of it 

Wow the Tarneit fans dont like to travel midweek do they :)
AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 Aug 2022 9:38 AM
Melbcityguy - 4 Aug 2022 7:26 AM

Wow the Tarneit fans dont like to travel midweek do they :)

How many WU fans you reckon were there?

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

AyyLeague - 7 Aug 2022 4:43 PM

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 Aug 2022 9:38 AM

How many WU fans you reckon were there?

No idea, didn't watch but if the crowd was 3k I would presume 2,800 of them where Victory members.
AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 8 Aug 2022 10:41 AM
AyyLeague - 7 Aug 2022 4:43 PM

No idea, didn't watch but if the crowd was 3k I would presume 2,800 of them where Victory members.

Yeah probably.
Can't imagine there would be many making the trip to Edensor Park in that case.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search