Arnold update on WCQ and Copa

Arnold update on WCQ and Copa

Author
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
As per the world game website: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arnold-s-warning-socceroos-need-government-help-for-qualifiers

Very much doubt any state govt would allow only 3 days quarantine for players. Really doesnt look good for COPA. I was hoping by tournament time the COPA countries might have gotten on top of it, but even if they do it doesnt look like we will go.

Socceroos coach Graham Arnold has warned Australia's 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign cannot resume without federal government assistance.       

The pandemic has also scuppered Australia's hopes of appearing as a guest nation at last year's Copa America.Arnold still holds hope of competing when the South American continental championship is held in mid-2021 but admits fixture scheduling may mean the Socceroos have to withdraw from the tournament.Australia will still have matches against Taiwan and Jordan to play between June 1 and June 15 to complete their World Cup qualifying group commitments.Arnold said the final dates for those matches may make competing in the Copa impossible."The most important thing for all of us is the World Cup qualifiers and we've got to make sure we don't put that in jeopardy at all," he says

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Read that AFC were thinking of organising a Hub for WCQ’s in Mid East? Dunno if that would help make the Copa but I think everything should be done to still play in Copa- even sending a very junior squad if need be. More important than Olympics imo
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I'm despondent about the Copa. From going from taking Spanish lessons, looking forward to watching the Socceroos against Argentina at the Estadio Monumental in person to having no hope of the FFA giving it priority even without it being a clash or getting the $$$ for the flights back. We won't be invited again. I guess the games will probably be played in empty stadiums anyway.

I'd suggest surrendering our home qualifiers and playing them in a neutral venue we can get in and out of without quarantine that is sufficiently safe, or even playing them as away games. The government won't help us.
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

we really just need to pick out the next FIFA break and try to get a AFC Hub going so we can play 2-3 games in a 7-8 days and be done with the 2nd round. Do another one for round 3 before COPA.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

jas88 - 14 Jan 2021 5:09 PM
we really just need to pick out the next FIFA break and try to get a AFC Hub going so we can play 2-3 games in a 7-8 days and be done with the 2nd round. Do another one for round 3 before COPA.

Would be smart. Surely the AFC has realised that going with the usual home and away games over the windows is impossible in the current scenario.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Any chance FFA can tell the government we’re actually playing Aussie rules football? They’ll bend over backwards for us then, probably get things paid for out of public money too.
Nunya
Nunya
Hacker
Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)

I've got a bad feeling we won't make this world cup
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Dan_The_Red - 14 Jan 2021 5:47 PM
Any chance FFA can tell the government we’re actually playing Aussie rules football? They’ll bend over backwards for us then, probably get things paid for out of public money too.

Just give the squad some cricket bats and Scomo will hold the door open.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Nunya - 14 Jan 2021 6:40 PM

Yeah, at least I thought we'd make it through the second round pre-covid, but all bets are off now.
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Nunya - 14 Jan 2021 6:40 PM

Why?
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

He’s tripping if he thinks the players won’t have to quarantine. Everyone else has suffered, no reason they should get special treatment. 

To echo pala I’m bummed about Copa. My missus is Colombian so was going to cram in footy and family. 

CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Losing home games is not ideal but I think our players and coaching staff have enough experience playing in Qatar or the UAE so it won’t make much difference. The Europe based players might even appreciate less travel. 
Podiacide
Podiacide
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

Israel will have herd immunity by March, let’s have a hub there. 
But seriously, I think it will be a hub somewhere in the Middle East (a few of those countries are very high up the vaccination rate too - so far). 
Like others, I’m absolutely guttered about missing COPA 😢

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

How are other Asian countries coping with all this covid shennanigans,  especially in our qf group?
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Australia is currently one of the best countries in the world for Covid containment ( zero new local transmitted cases nationally ) & that's even before any sort of vaccine.

Don't see why things can't proceed as per normal either here or somewhere in the Middle East with the usual precautions.  

Edited
3 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Consider this may sound crazy..

QLD gov seems to like the exposure sports bring it today...

Puts on helmet...

Build a good playing service at a QLD mining camp...

Fly the teams and refs direct to the mining camp...

All locate staff need to stay at the mining camp for two to three weeks after the players leave...

No crowd, no big stadium... but its kinda fly in fly out ....

As for Copa what can I say ... nay scream... F..U...C... K.... F..U...C...K... F...U...C...K.... 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search