'Slow, very lethargic...' - Veart ready to rip up the Reds team sheet [Comments]

'Slow, very lethargic...' - Veart ready to rip up the Reds team sheet...

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sub007 - 22 Jan 2021 12:24 PM
Barca4Life - 22 Jan 2021 11:54 AM

Disagree.

He’s clearly talented and will have a big future but he shouldn’t be starting games, especially as the likes of Niyongabire and M Toure are better and contributing a lot more than he is.

Keeping him in the team would be unfair on those who are actually performing but have to sit in the bench. 

He can come off the bench and play for our NPL team.

Another reason why to aligned the seasons so players could play NPL or NYL if they not in the first team.

Thats been Arnie's pet hate. 

To me Dukuly could come on the bench too, but I guess the coach knows best in any case.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 22 Jan 2021 1:33 PM
The  goal that Toure scored, what was the name of the player who provided the assist? It was a neat goal.

D'Agostino's goals, were  from being in the right place at the right time. Credit to him, he read the play well enough to be in those positions.

Daniel Stynes and Carlo Amienta were also impressive young Glory players, who are both under 23 too.

The young boy Stynes style of play reminds me of Robbie Kruse, he's got good movement and knows how to find space.

Good to see you back D! 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Barca4Life - 22 Jan 2021 11:51 AM
charlied - 22 Jan 2021 10:26 AM

Again why Australian football's obsession with strength and size with our players, there is nothing players could do if they cant grow a inch or two taller.

I look at recent examples in Nisbet and Devlin, the former mentions how difficult it was for him but it shows with hard he worked just to get a chance.

Based on that Lionel Messi would never get a look in Australia as he would be 'too small', this isnt the NRL or AFL.

I knew the Messi thing would come out
Messi is about 10cm taller than Caletti

Messi is an extraordinary talent

To be that small you need to make up for it elsewhere otherwise why wouldn't you pick the player with better physical attributes if they are similarly skilled in all other areas?
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Davide82 - 22 Jan 2021 3:48 PM

To be that small you need to make up for it elsewhere otherwise why wouldn't you pick the player with better physical attributes if they are similarly skilled in all other areas?

Being physical isnt the only to compete on the field, playing with intelligence and making good decisions with the and without the ball is another way to do it.

Everyone wants those pace and power players but they not being and end all if your a small player, in fact it could play into your advantage. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Barca4Life - 22 Jan 2021 3:59 PM

Being physical isnt the only to compete on the field, playing with intelligence and making good decisions with the and without the ball is another way to do it.

Everyone wants those pace and power players but they not being and end all if your a small player, in fact it could play into your advantage. 

And I will repeat:

If he is no better than other players who are also better physically, why would he get picked?

My point is you need to be VERY very good to justify your spot if the basic physical elements of the game are beyond you. 

If another player has similar (or even almost as good) decision making abilities and or ball handling speed but can ALSO chase a man after being beaten, put in a tackle, break through lines with the ball etc then why would you choose the first player? Just as some sort of poster boy for the shorter man? 

I get in the past Australia relied on physical prowess but I almost feel like we are going too far the other way at times while the rest of the world is actually INCREASING their physical side of the game.

We (as a league) have some seriously slight young boys playing out there in the last couple seasons who would be destroyed if they played in Europe.

End of the day I would NEVER not pick him just coz of height. That's crazy. However, a CM who is not an old school no.10 needs to do some physical stuff too and I don't think he is offering anything creatively that another player couldn't who would also give us a bit more presence in there when the chips are down and we are in a scrap (not just when we are cruising 2-0 up with 65% possession)

Edited
3 Years Ago by Davide82
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Anyway I feel bad now coz I don't actually dislike him as a player as much as it probably sounds like here, I am justusinghim to make a point.

Caletti is not why we lost the other night. That was a team effort being that bad.

He does a decent enough job of keeping the ball moving. I just want to see a lot more forward passing creativity if he is going to be one of the starting 3 midfielders when we already have other CDMs.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Well said.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Barca4Life - 22 Jan 2021 2:58 PM
Decentric 2 - 22 Jan 2021 1:33 PM

The young boy Stynes style of play reminds me of Robbie Kruse, he's got good movement and knows how to find space.

Good to see you back D! 

Thanks, B4L.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Davide82 - 22 Jan 2021 4:09 PM

And I will repeat:

If he is no better than other players who are also better physically, why would he get picked?

My point is you need to be VERY very good to justify your spot if the basic physical elements of the game are beyond you. 

If another player has similar (or even almost as good) decision making abilities and or ball handling speed but can ALSO chase a man after being beaten, put in a tackle, break through lines with the ball etc then why would you choose the first player? Just as some sort of poster boy for the shorter man? 

I get in the past Australia relied on physical prowess but I almost feel like we are going too far the other way at times while the rest of the world is actually INCREASING their physical side of the game.

We (as a league) have some seriously slight young boys playing out there in the last couple seasons who would be destroyed if they played in Europe.

End of the day I would NEVER not pick him just coz of height. That's crazy. However, a CM who is not an old school no.10 needs to do some physical stuff too and I don't think he is offering anything creatively that another player couldn't who would also give us a bit more presence in there when the chips are down and we are in a scrap (not just when we are cruising 2-0 up with 65% possession)

In the modern game regardless of the size of the player you have play on both sides of ball (with and without the ball), and decision making is paramount to that I agree if the player doesnt do anything else outside of those physical qualities then the player becomes ineffective but I dont see that with Caletti, he seems the type of the player he gets the ball moving whilst having a good work rate too.

I think physically our players are respectable and known to be almost at times over physical, have we gone too far the other end? maybe but in that case its easier to improve physically whilst technically it takes years and years of work from they are kids and up.

I think why its looks different in Europe because over there they certainly play and train more than here and look like more complete footballers.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Davide82 - 22 Jan 2021 4:09 PM

And I will repeat:

I agree with most of what you say in this post , Davide, but when Barcelona was having so much success, it was one of the smallest  and shortest teams in Europe regarding height and weight. Xavi Hernandez, Messi,  Iniesta, a couple of wingers and others are only little  fellows. They didn't get  destroyed playing in Europe, and have enjoyed incredible success.

Ditto Spain were a small team when they won successive European Champs and a World Cup.

As for Caletti's technical qualities, not many in past Aus generations would be able to match him  with the  ball at his feet, but there is now  a production line of technical whizzes coming through as graduates of SAP and NTC programs.

There area so many of these clever ball players I don't know all their names - Najjarine, Arzani, Daniel Stynes, Lachie Wales, etc. Another ripper is Nisbet from CCM, who is also quite short.

Apart from Nisbet, most of the aforementioned whizz kid technically adept  tyros  would probably be stronger and  faster than Caletti, but the AU player has demonstrated that he can control a game with very good distribution - which is not easy to do.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Plenty of other outstanding shorties too - Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez, Jesus Navas, David Silva, another Spanish winger beginning with X,  a recent Barca LB whose name escapes me.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Decentric 2 - 22 Jan 2021 4:37 PM

Plenty of other outstanding shorties too - Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez, Jesus Navas, David Silva, another Spanish winger beginning with X,  a recent Barca LB whose name escapes me.

Thats Jordi Alba.

What Bayern Munich did to Barcelona in the Champions League last season where they won 8-2 they exploited the physical defiences of the Barca players something maybe wouldnt existed a decade ago where Barca passed through the press with ease under extreme pressure, as we know it like life in football it evolves too and I feel the game is alot more quicker with more transitions involved compared to a decade ago.

Technique is still king but marinating it other qualities is important too as the game continues to evolve.

Enjoy watching the Spanish players though, they play with so much skill and intelligence. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search