Melbourne sports teams and poor performance

Melbourne sports teams and poor performance

Author
bluebird2
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
OK so I just checked the A League table and the three Melbourne teams are pretty much bottom of the pile. I checked the BBL table and the two Melbourne teams were also dead last

Has the disruption of constant restrictions, border closures, limits of group numbers, uncertainty, etc... that comes with living in Victoria taken its toll on the top tier teams? Or am I missing something having not watched either league this year?

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

We’re just shit 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

bluebird2 - 11 Feb 2021 11:03 AM
OK so I just checked the A League table and the three Melbourne teams are pretty much bottom of the pile. I checked the BBL table and the two Melbourne teams were also dead last

Has the disruption of constant restrictions, border closures, limits of group numbers, uncertainty, etc... that comes with living in Victoria taken its toll on the top tier teams? Or am I missing something having not watched either league this year?

If you look at it the other way, Richmond won the AFL despite playing interstate all year. Melbourne storm won the NRL, despite being based in QLD. Same with the netball team.  
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

City and Victory are both likely to sack their coaches by the midway point, if not sooner.

Kisnorbo has less excuse than Brebner because he has by far the better squad.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 11 Feb 2021 11:20 AM
We’re just shit 

This

In a resort somewhere

Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 11 Feb 2021 11:20 AM
We’re just shit 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

sometimes the cards fall right :) as for the other 2 sports mentioned who cares.

Love Football

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 11 Feb 2021 11:49 AM

If you look at it the other way, Richmond won the AFL despite playing interstate all year. Melbourne storm won the NRL, despite being based in QLD. Same with the netball team.  

Bluebird.  When you've only got a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Member since 2008.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Not sure if it’s a coincidence or something else but it’s a surprise they down there but I can see some of them come up the table and make the 6.

Western United have a good team that should come good, Melb City have a good squad but it seems they are missing O’Neills presence in midfield whilst they look a little lost and Melb Victory I have mentioned they don’t have much of an identity so far and look to be in some mess.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Was honestly expecting you to tie it in to mask wearing.  Kudos for at least only being a subtle dig at COVID restrictions.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 11 Feb 2021 1:49 PM

Was honestly expecting you to tie it in to mask wearing.  Kudos for at least only being a subtle dig at COVID restrictions.

OK first of all since you have given me the segway, mask restrictions in Victoria for all instances indoors have been in place for 6 1/2 months excluding a 5-6 week reprieve. About 2 1/2 weeks at the back end of December and the same in January. Victoria have had unreasonable and excessive face mask laws for more of the pandemic than not, including excessive amounts of time with no viral activity. The same goes for working from home restrictions where for 10 months there has not been a single plan to get everybody back to work and the most accomplished during this timeframe is 50%. There isnt a single town outside of Victoria in Australia where residents have been under more restrictions than not since the end of March. And not a single town in Victoria where a resident has had less days of restrictions than having them in place

More people have died from drowning in Victoria in the last few months. Show me the laws prohibiting Victorians from being within 500m of a water source without a snorkel and vest. There is something called acceptable risk and if Victoria thinks it can wipe this thing out altogether, despite the recent breaches, it shows just how naive their approach really is. Enjoy the luxury of living in NSW because this is going to be a burden on us Vics until at least mid December

But no, this wasnt about face masks or other rules. This was about rules prohibiting training and outdoor gatherings from June until well into November. As mentioned above, the Storm had to relocate just so they could train. There is no doubt the Victorian teams have had the raw end throughout the pandemic. Now maybe the teams are all shit and this is just a coincidence. But its a valid question to ask: Have the restrictions impacted the performance of the Victorian teams?
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Must be Chairman Dan’s fault
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

bluebird2 - 11 Feb 2021 4:18 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 11 Feb 2021 1:49 PM

OK first of all since you have given me the segway, mask restrictions in Victoria for all instances indoors have been in place for 6 1/2 months excluding a 5-6 week reprieve. About 2 1/2 weeks at the back end of December and the same in January. Victoria have had unreasonable and excessive face mask laws for more of the pandemic than not, including excessive amounts of time with no viral activity. The same goes for working from home restrictions where for 10 months there has not been a single plan to get everybody back to work and the most accomplished during this timeframe is 50%. There isnt a single town outside of Victoria in Australia where residents have been under more restrictions than not since the end of March. And not a single town in Victoria where a resident has had less days of restrictions than having them in place

More people have died from drowning in Victoria in the last few months. Show me the laws prohibiting Victorians from being within 500m of a water source without a snorkel and vest. There is something called acceptable risk and if Victoria thinks it can wipe this thing out altogether, despite the recent breaches, it shows just how naive their approach really is. Enjoy the luxury of living in NSW because this is going to be a burden on us Vics until at least mid December

But no, this wasnt about face masks or other rules. This was about rules prohibiting training and outdoor gatherings from June until well into November. As mentioned above, the Storm had to relocate just so they could train. There is no doubt the Victorian teams have had the raw end throughout the pandemic. Now maybe the teams are all shit and this is just a coincidence. But its a valid question to ask: Have the restrictions impacted the performance of the Victorian teams?

Do shut up. You have the charisma of old bath waters. 
bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star

charlied - 11 Feb 2021 7:13 PM
bluebird2 - 11 Feb 2021 4:18 PM

Do shut up. You have the charisma of old bath waters. 

One of the things I find funny is that every time I post something the responses are always an attack on me

Never a response to what I have written. Never a good counter argument or a valid point. Just the usual personal attacks that are a good indicator that the person has a weak argument

If you want to prove Victoria's heavy handed strategy has yielded the best results in Australia, or that the rules havent been in place as I have outlined above, or that restrictions on training havent impacted the teams, then go right ahead. My likeness to bath water is irrelevant
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

bluebird2 - 11 Feb 2021 7:38 PM

One of the things I find funny is that every time I post something the responses are always an attack on me

Never a response to what I have written. Never a good counter argument or a valid point. Just the usual personal attacks that are a good indicator that the person has a weak argument

If you want to prove Victoria's heavy handed strategy has yielded the best results in Australia, or that the rules havent been in place as I have outlined above, or that restrictions on training havent impacted the teams, then go right ahead. My likeness to bath water is irrelevant

Por que? All you been doing is posting bitter arguments and conspiracy theories. You act like you're all knowing but you're just a fool on the net 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Acceptable risk, that's the key point,  you have to accept that you cannot cover every water source from some dickhead that can't swim. Fucking learn how to swim. however,  you can put a god damn mask on because it's not hard to do and it  doesn't hurt you (though i have trigeminal neuralgia and still manage to do it without complaining like a 2 year old)

As for Melbourne football teams,  i can't say much for the other teams,  i feel our foreign recruitment at victory has been fine,  though we have the worse aussie contingent and worst young players in the league,  there's always big talk about kirdar but not seen much and ive said from the start the Brebner appointment was a cop out and the board needs to be reviewed if it doesn't turn around.
Nunya
Nunya
Hacker
Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)

City is full of overrated players and Victory has been making bad buys for years. WU is more interesting as a squad than the other two but remember we are only a few weeks in.
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Firstly, Putting on a face mask is easier than putting on a pair of shoes. 
Secondly, talk to the health care workers who have dealt first hand with covid patients (like my wife that works at a public hospital that had covid outbreak) risking their own health while wearing the air-tight N95 face masks 8 hours straight per shift, plus a face shield and plastic gown - super hot and sweaty. Couldn’t see shit with her glasses on behind the face shield fogging up, could hardly take a sip of water during shifts cos she couldn’t remove the air tight mask. had to have covid tests every week just to keep her job saving lives etc etc etc.
and here you are questioning the face mask rules in Victoria??!! You poor thing having to wear a little face mask and whining about it on a football forum. 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Balin Trev - 11 Feb 2021 9:43 PM

Secondly, talk to the health care workers who have dealt first hand with covid patients (like my wife that works at a public hospital that had covid outbreak) risking their own health while wearing the air-tight N95 face masks 8 hours straight per shift, plus a face shield and plastic gown - super hot and sweaty. Couldn’t see shit with her glasses on behind the face shield fogging up, could hardly take a sip of water during shifts cos she couldn’t remove the air tight mask. had to have covid tests every week just to keep her job saving lives etc etc etc.
and here you are questioning the face mask rules in Victoria??!! You poor thing having to wear a little face mask and whining about it on a football forum. 

Mate I dont agree with pretty much anything else you have to say sometimes, but in all sincerity tell your wife a big farking "thank you" from me.😁 My missus works in health and there are still some of us that appreciate what sacrifices the front liners make.
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 11 Feb 2021 9:54 PM

Mate I dont agree with pretty much anything else you have to say sometimes, but in all sincerity tell your wife a big farking "thank you" from me.😁 My missus works in health and there are still some of us that appreciate what sacrifices the front liners make.

Respect 👍 Thanks to your missus too

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Balin Trev - 11 Feb 2021 10:13 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 11 Feb 2021 9:54 PM

Respect 👍 Thanks to your missus too

✊ now I can get back to shitstirring ya lol.......
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 11 Feb 2021 10:18 PM
Balin Trev - 11 Feb 2021 10:13 PM

✊ now I can get back to shitstirring ya lol.......

No worries lol. We are all on this forum cos we love football in some way. Doesn’t matter what club or league we follow- just all part of the passion of football in Aus 👍
SEroos
SEroos
Super Fan
Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)

Meh I think you're just cherrypicking. Like someone else mentioned Richmond, Storm and Vixens all won their comps being mostly interstate hub based. The Melbourne Utd NBL team is currently top og their comp. Nobody cares about BBL and yeah the ALeague teams are currently playing shit but i dont think thats at all state related. Overall a weird thing to make a thread about.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

SEroos - 11 Feb 2021 11:00 PM
Meh I think you're just cherrypicking. Like someone else mentioned Richmond, Storm and Vixens all won their comps being mostly interstate hub based. The Melbourne Utd NBL team is currently top og their comp. Nobody cares about BBL and yeah the ALeague teams are currently playing shit but i dont think thats at all state related. Overall a weird thing to make a thread about.

You'll get to know bluebird.  He's known to post some inane drivel.  He makes long winding posts .and is the forum know all who knows absolutely nothing 
bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star

So why didnt we wear them before the outbreak? If our response has been proven to reduce the spread of other infectious diseases, and reduce the overall number of deaths, then why didnt we "put on the pair of shoes" before the outbreak? Why isnt the long term goal for face masks to be a part of life from this point on? Why havent the other states adopted the same lifestyle or do they not care?

Your wife has protective gear because she works in and among the virus. I dont. Expecting me to have the same protective gear for the sake of equality doesnt make sense. Do you and your wife wear the same outfits as firefighters because thats what they do? What about people who are up at 4am or havent even slept because they are looking for missing people. Are you also staying up and waiting for the person to be located or do you not care? Its ridiculous to demand that everybody makes the same sacrifices just because front line health workers are

People 12 and under dont have to wear masks. Why? Acceptable risk. Its not that people 12 or under cant spread the disease. Its not that front line workers arent treating them so they dont have to "give back to the community". Its because on the balance of things it doesnt make a difference

In Victoria right now there is likely one active case in the community. The chance of encountering this case is an average of 1 in 6.5 million. Higher for your wife whose job literally involves inviting people with the virus in. Lower for people in Mildura. Demanding everybody to wear a mask indoors at all times on the off chance they encounter this person and neither is social distancing but luckily both are wearing the same protective gear that meets laboratory standard is unprecedented in any emergency response we have ever had or will ever had. This is lower than the acceptable risk that those under the age of 12 dont have to wear them

Social distancing is easy, non intrusive and 90% effective. Australia has achieved herd immunity in the community from social distancing which is why this incredibly infectious strain that has left the hotel 5 or 6 times and visited 50 or so venues has turned up empty. Wearing a face mask as a permanent accessory like a pair of shoes is impractical. Its not just the look or the comfort, it inhibits communication and intelligent social interaction. If it was as easy as you said this wouldnt even be an issue. Shoes are easy to wear, and people do wear shoes

I have worked for two agencies responsible for saving lives whose countless efforts in the community are often ignored. Tireless sacrifices by selfless people who go about their business while society continues as if nothing is happening. I have never jumped onto this forum to demand people make the same sacrifices for a sense of balance. Thats not what being good natured and selfless is about. I can think of 100 reasons why people who work in hospitals and treat people with COVID should be wearing protective equipment and demand their patients do the same. Give me one reason why people in Victoria are selfish ungrateful idiots for not wanting to wear a mask everywhere indoors for longer than 6 1/2 months when there is no community transmission, but people in NSW with more active cases and coming out of a seeded outbreak only have to wear them on buses and trains?

The majority of people in Australia are doing their bit which is why our story is different to other countries. Maybe start taking notice
Stamap
Stamap
Fan
Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)

Melbourne has purely just turned into a sh!t hole in every sense
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

bluebird2 - 12 Feb 2021 7:15 AM

So why didnt we wear them before the outbreak? If our response has been proven to reduce the spread of other infectious diseases, and reduce the overall number of deaths, then why didnt we "put on the pair of shoes" before the outbreak? Why isnt the long term goal for face masks to be a part of life from this point on? Why havent the other states adopted the same lifestyle or do they not care?

Your wife has protective gear because she works in and among the virus. I dont. Expecting me to have the same protective gear for the sake of equality doesnt make sense. Do you and your wife wear the same outfits as firefighters because thats what they do? What about people who are up at 4am or havent even slept because they are looking for missing people. Are you also staying up and waiting for the person to be located or do you not care? Its ridiculous to demand that everybody makes the same sacrifices just because front line health workers are

People 12 and under dont have to wear masks. Why? Acceptable risk. Its not that people 12 or under cant spread the disease. Its not that front line workers arent treating them so they dont have to "give back to the community". Its because on the balance of things it doesnt make a difference

In Victoria right now there is likely one active case in the community. The chance of encountering this case is an average of 1 in 6.5 million. Higher for your wife whose job literally involves inviting people with the virus in. Lower for people in Mildura. Demanding everybody to wear a mask indoors at all times on the off chance they encounter this person and neither is social distancing but luckily both are wearing the same protective gear that meets laboratory standard is unprecedented in any emergency response we have ever had or will ever had. This is lower than the acceptable risk that those under the age of 12 dont have to wear them

Social distancing is easy, non intrusive and 90% effective. Australia has achieved herd immunity in the community from social distancing which is why this incredibly infectious strain that has left the hotel 5 or 6 times and visited 50 or so venues has turned up empty. Wearing a face mask as a permanent accessory like a pair of shoes is impractical. Its not just the look or the comfort, it inhibits communication and intelligent social interaction. If it was as easy as you said this wouldnt even be an issue. Shoes are easy to wear, and people do wear shoes

I have worked for two agencies responsible for saving lives whose countless efforts in the community are often ignored. Tireless sacrifices by selfless people who go about their business while society continues as if nothing is happening. I have never jumped onto this forum to demand people make the same sacrifices for a sense of balance. Thats not what being good natured and selfless is about. I can think of 100 reasons why people who work in hospitals and treat people with COVID should be wearing protective equipment and demand their patients do the same. Give me one reason why people in Victoria are selfish ungrateful idiots for not wanting to wear a mask everywhere indoors for longer than 6 1/2 months when there is no community transmission, but people in NSW with more active cases and coming out of a seeded outbreak only have to wear them on buses and trains?

The majority of people in Australia are doing their bit which is why our story is different to other countries. Maybe start taking notice

Ffs give it a rest. No one cares what you think about this. This is a football thread. Where are the mods? 
charlied
charlied
Pro

Ok my response was harsh,but seriously, my wife is a front line health care worker and I come here to talk about football. What you are saying has validity but does not belong here. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Does bluebird have a job?

Member since 2008.

bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star

charlied - 12 Feb 2021 10:05 AM

Ok my response was harsh,but seriously, my wife is a front line health care worker and I come here to talk about football. What you are saying has validity but does not belong here. 

The point you seem to be missing is I didnt start a thread about face masks. I asked a very legitimate question in the context of Australian sport relevant to the A League

I was tongue in cheek provoked into a response which I took tongue in cheek, and was then followed by a flurry of posts about me. The irony is the bulk of the off topic part of this conversation or the derailing of it doesnt even stem from me

If you guys stop bumping this post or taking it into different directions then it will either be about whether Melbourne teams are impacted by the pandemic, or it will be on the bottom of page 1. Or you can simply not click on the thread title if you want to talk about football
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search