2023 World Cup stadiums announced

2023 World Cup stadiums announced

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

The Host Cities and stadiums for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 are:

• Adelaide – Hindmarsh Stadium
  • Auckland / Tāmaki Makaurau – Eden Park
  • Brisbane – Brisbane Stadium 
  • Dunedin / Ōtepoti – Dunedin Stadium 
  • Hamilton / Kirikiriroa – Waikato Stadium 
  • Melbourne – Melbourne Rectangular Stadium 
  • Perth – Perth Rectangular Stadium 
  • Sydney – Stadium Australia and Sydney Football Stadium 
  • Wellington /  Te Whanganui-a-Tara  – Wellington Stadium 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

So is it Newcastle as the only Australian bid to miss out? Townsville too? Fair enough I'd say as it is a shared tournament. Newcastle did get the Asian cup.

I was concerned about Perth or Brisbane getting shafted but I feel it's the best possible coverage. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Feel for Newcastle but at least they have the option of driving to Sydney to see games. I hope melbourne gets a semi final 
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

johnszasz - 1 Apr 2021 7:07 AM
So is it Newcastle as the only Australian bid to miss out? Townsville too? Fair enough I'd say as it is a shared tournament. Newcastle did get the Asian cup.

I was concerned about Perth or Brisbane getting shafted but I feel it's the best possible coverage. 

Launceston missed out to, no surprise there though.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Good to see Launceston's offensively token effort go unrewarded, feel for Newcastle but it probably came down to too many in the AEST time zone. Adelaide's half arsed bid getting rewarded sets a dangerous precedent for the game in Australia, but again it probably comes down to a desirable spread of time zones for the international audience. Hopefully they only get group stage games and certainly no Matildas games.
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

paladisious - 1 Apr 2021 9:32 AM
Good to see Launceston's offensively token effort go unrewarded, feel for Newcastle but it probably came down to too many in the AEST time zone. Adelaide's half arsed bid getting rewarded sets a dangerous precedent for the game in Australia, but again it probably comes down to a desirable spread of time zones for the international audience. Hopefully they only get group stage games and certainly no Matildas games.

It will be interesting to hear what commitments FIFA got out of the SA government and for that matter the WA government.  Some decent funds to upgrade  training  venues for the WWC that leave a legacy for the game would be a good outcome.

I expect Brisbane or Sydney will get the semi final in Australia.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

If all Hindmarsh gets out of this is a lick of paint then I'll be upset we are hosting any games to be honest.

I'm not up to date on if we promised any upgrades but if it's temporary seating again then we are thoroughly undeserving
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Davide82 - 1 Apr 2021 10:34 AM
If all Hindmarsh gets out of this is a lick of paint then I'll be upset we are hosting any games to be honest.

I'm not up to date on if we promised any upgrades but if it's temporary seating again then we are thoroughly undeserving

Apparently it's getting a $45m upgrade to be fair, but it'll still only be temporary seating for the WWC and even then still under spec capacity:

The $45m fund will deliver a new pitch, upgraded lighting and shade covering over the east grandstand. Hindmarsh Stadium – currently known as Coopers Stadium – will also welcome new and upgraded changerooms, enhanced media/broadcast facilities, and improved disability access and corporate facilities.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2020/11/10/adelaide-venues-boosted-by-aud89m-for-redevlopment/

Nice photo in the article, btw... ;)
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

paladisious - 1 Apr 2021 11:00 AM

Apparently it's getting a $45m upgrade to be fair, but it'll still only be temporary seating for the WWC and even then still under spec capacity:

The $45m fund will deliver a new pitch, upgraded lighting and shade covering over the east grandstand. Hindmarsh Stadium – currently known as Coopers Stadium – will also welcome new and upgraded changerooms, enhanced media/broadcast facilities, and improved disability access and corporate facilities.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2020/11/10/adelaide-venues-boosted-by-aud89m-for-redevlopment/

Nice photo in the article, btw... ;)

Nobody here ever calls Hindmarsh "Coopers Stadium".

It is Hindmarsh Stadium.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Probably wait to see what matches we are allocated before opting for temporary seating.

You can bet we won't be getting any Matildas matches.
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Gyfox - 1 Apr 2021 10:14 AM
paladisious - 1 Apr 2021 9:32 AM

It will be interesting to hear what commitments FIFA got out of the SA government and for that matter the WA government.  Some decent funds to upgrade  training  venues for the WWC that leave a legacy for the game would be a good outcome.

I expect Brisbane or Sydney will get the semi final in Australia.

I reackon both semis will be in NZ, as a trade off for the final being in Oz. If not Brissie will get it, that or the 3rd place playoff, I can't see it all being held in Sydney.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

localstar - 1 Apr 2021 11:30 AM

Probably wait to see what matches we are allocated before opting for temporary seating.

Oh yeah I don't expect any Matilda's matches.
I guess just hoped we could get SOMETHING out of the WWC.
Even if they just erected some shelter and a few more seats I'd be happy

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Just saw Pala's response after I had posted
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Good to see the improvements at Hindmarsh - but I hate that Socceroo matches will always be held at Adelaide Oval (if at all)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

localstar - 1 Apr 2021 11:29 AM
paladisious - 1 Apr 2021 11:00 AM

Nobody here ever calls Hindmarsh "Coopers Stadium".

It is Hindmarsh Stadium.

100% I avoid calling any stadium by it's sponsored name in any case (Docklands, Homebush, SFS, Lang Park, etc.) AAMI Park is the exception at the moment as the official name is the clunky "Melbourne Rectangular Stadium". It should have been the MFS: the Melbourne Football Stadium, that would have really triggered the AFL people!
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

localstar - 1 Apr 2021 11:30 AM

Pure speculation but It is a strong probability the smaller stadiums in both countries will get a Round of 16 match then miss out on the Quarter Finals onwards. Sydney will get a Quarter Final if missing out on a semi Final. 

I hope the Match schedule is out in the next 2-3 months as that gives all the cities hype to build the profile of the tournament for the general public and fans and families can then plan ahead and get themselves into the ticket queue.

With no matches in Tassie my plan will be to try for 2 tix to the Final and either a quarter or semi as well depending on where they are located. A Matildas group stage in Melbourne or Brisbane May also be convenient but most likely I will only be travelling once.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

huddo - 1 Apr 2021 11:50 AM
Gyfox - 1 Apr 2021 10:14 AM

I reackon both semis will be in NZ, as a trade off for the final being in Oz. If not Brissie will get it, that or the 3rd place playoff, I can't see it all being held in Sydney.

NZ get 1 semi + 3rd place playoff imo. 

Brisbane to get the 2nd semi.

(just a prediction)
trosa001
trosa001
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)Hardcore Fan (198 reputation)

Burztur - 1 Apr 2021 2:16 PM
huddo - 1 Apr 2021 11:50 AM

NZ get 1 semi + 3rd place playoff imo. 

Brisbane to get the 2nd semi.

(just a prediction)

Can anyone concretely confirm IF the capacity will be permanently increased at Hindmarsh? I have seen one social media comment saying the eastern stand will get a roof AND capacity increase. NO ONE has or will give a concrete answer on this
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Not FIFA compliant - but Hindmarsh to host Women's World Cup
Tom Richardson

Coopers Stadium is set to host games in the 2023 Women’s soccer World Cup – despite its operator conceding a planned $45 million upgrade still won’t make it FIFA-compliant.

The World Game’s governing body this morning confirmed Adelaide as one of nine host cities across Australia and New Zealand for the tournament – with the opening game to be held in Auckland and the final to be at Sydney’s Stadium Australia.

The Government linked a $45 million commitment to upgrade the capacity of Adelaide United’s home ground at Hindmarsh to its World Cup bid – but the venue’s operator, Adelaide Venue Management Corporation, says that still won’t bring it up to code.

In a written submission to parliament’s Public Works Committee about the project, AVM CEO Anthony Kirchner said: “Coopers Stadium is currently not FIFA compliant, and it will not be compliant on completion of the project.”

“FIFA compliance is not possible at Coopers Stadium without demolishing and reconstructing all stands and increasing existing site boundaries – which is not feasible,” he said.

Kirchner’s submission noted that FIFA “recently rated Coopers Stadium as the worst of the Australian stadia they are considering as possible host venues”.

He noted the venue’s successful includion in Australia’s bid meant “that the adherence to the Project Completion deadline will be critical, and AVM is aiming to have the project completed no later than January 2023”.

However, he added that the upgrade was “not contingent upon the stadium’s possible participation in the World Cup”.

“The upgrade was to proceed regardless,” he said.

Kirchner fronted the committee this morning, telling parliament the $45 million investment would, however, “make it more likely that FIFA will be comfortable providing us with games”.

He said that Adelaide Oval was not compliant with FIFA’s requirements either, although Premier Steven Marshall has previously ruled out holding matches at the city venue – despite being allowed to under the venue’s management agreement.

The Liberal Government withdrew its bid to host the Women’s World Cup in 2019 – before backflipping weeks later, arguing: “We’ve ended up with a good deal.”

In a statement, Sports Minister Corey Wingard told InDaily today: “As FIFA outlined through the bid process, the stadium doesn’t need to be fully compliant in order to host games.”

“FIFA is more focused on the bigger picture and legacy infrastructure to grow the game – and SA’s bid was compelling,” he said.

“FIFA take into account numerous factors when appointing a host city for an event like the Women’s World Cup.”

He said the Government’s planned upgrades, “along with our $24 million investment in the Home of Football at Gepps Cross, impressed FIFA and fit the bill for Adelaide to be named as a host city venue”.

“It is a great result for Adelaide to be part of this massive international event,” he said.

Treasurer Rob Lucas said while the upgrade wouldn’t bring the venue up to code, there was room for further short-term measures “if we have to put in temporary seating in the corners or whatever it is we have to do”.

He said the event team had met with FIFA “and they said ‘hey, this is what we’ve got, this is what we’re going to have, this is what we can do’, so they’re aware of that and obviously awarded it to Adelaide”.

Lucas said he wasn’t privy to the discussions but “FIFA is well aware of whatever commitments we gave”.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2021/04/01/not-fifa-compliant-but-hindmarsh-to-host-womens-world-cup/

localstar
localstar
Pro

trosa001 - 1 Apr 2021 2:52 PM
Burztur - 1 Apr 2021 2:16 PM

Can anyone concretely confirm IF the capacity will be permanently increased at Hindmarsh? I have seen one social media comment saying the eastern stand will get a roof AND capacity increase. NO ONE has or will give a concrete answer on this

I've heard a roof mentioned for eastern stand, but not capacity increase.

The kind of corner-filling temporary seating they had at the Olympics would increase Hindmarsh capacity to about 19k. Without it, it is still 15-16k
rooboy91
rooboy91
Hacker
Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)

Supposedly, Hindmarsh will get up to 22,000.

Celebrations as Women’s World Cup games to be played here
The Advertiser 02 Apr 2021: 6.

SOCCER fans are rejoicing at the announcement that Adelaide will be a host city for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup – with hopes now pinned on securing a Matildas game.

The tournament will be jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand in nine cities.

It is not yet known how many matches will be played at Coopers Stadium at Hindmarsh.

As flagged in the State Budget, the stadium will undergo a $45m upgrade – a commitment made with the goal of securing major events such as the World Cup.

Adelaide United Women’s Football Committee chairwoman Jodie van Deventer, said it was “ a momentous day for the city, the state but specifically women’s football”.

“To have a massive tournament on our doorstep provides a tremendous and unique opportunity and one (from which) we must maximise the positive outcomes,” she said.

“An event of this magnitude really has the potential to create change and further improve all aspects of women’s sport – especially around overhauling facilities at local clubs – while inspiring the next generation of young, aspiring footballers.” Sports Minister Corey Wingard said Adelaide could be a base for a number of teams and excitement among fans would be “through the roof”.

“The opportunity to grow the game in SA on the back of this project is going to be huge,” he said.

Coopers Stadium will have its capacity boosted from 16,500 to 22,000. The upgrade will overhaul changerooms, put a shade covering over the eastern grandstand and fully replace the current pitch surface.

There are also plans for new lighting and improved corporate and media areas. Premier Steven Marshall said FIFA’s choice of Australia for the World Cup had “inspired us to get ready in time”.

“It is a tired facility; it doesn’t have the changing facilities and spectator amenity that we are seeing in other stadiums right across the country,” Mr Marshall said.

He could not confirm how many games would be played at Coopers Stadium or wheththe Matildas would play in Adelaide. He said there was no back-up plan to move games to Adelaide Oval if the upgrade was not completed.

“We are absolutely convinced we will have the work completed in time for 2023.” Despite the upgrade, the stadium will not be FIFA-compliant for reasons including capacity, but an exemption has been granted.

Joining Adelaide as host cities are Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney and, across the ditch, Auckland, Dunedin, Hamilton and Wellington.

Football Australia president Chris Nikou said the tournament would be “the biggest sporting event on Australian soil since the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, showcasing Australia and New Zealand to a global audience of over one billion people”.

Adelaide United director Ian Smith was overjoyed.

“This is going to go way beyond soccer, it electrifies a country,” Mr Smith said. “It goes to the heart of communities. It is the world game and the world language.

“This announcement reflects the hard work of all involved in advocating to FIFA about why our fantastic venue should host matches. We’re confident an international event as big as this will leave a legacy for women’s football and women’s sport more broadly in this state.”

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro

rooboy91 - 6 Apr 2021 1:30 PM
Supposedly, Hindmarsh will get up to 22,000.

Celebrations as Women’s World Cup games to be played here
The Advertiser 02 Apr 2021: 6.

SOCCER fans are rejoicing at the announcement that Adelaide will be a host city for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup – with hopes now pinned on securing a Matildas game.

The tournament will be jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand in nine cities.

It is not yet known how many matches will be played at Coopers Stadium at Hindmarsh.

As flagged in the State Budget, the stadium will undergo a $45m upgrade – a commitment made with the goal of securing major events such as the World Cup.

Adelaide United Women’s Football Committee chairwoman Jodie van Deventer, said it was “ a momentous day for the city, the state but specifically women’s football”.

“To have a massive tournament on our doorstep provides a tremendous and unique opportunity and one (from which) we must maximise the positive outcomes,” she said.

“An event of this magnitude really has the potential to create change and further improve all aspects of women’s sport – especially around overhauling facilities at local clubs – while inspiring the next generation of young, aspiring footballers.” Sports Minister Corey Wingard said Adelaide could be a base for a number of teams and excitement among fans would be “through the roof”.

“The opportunity to grow the game in SA on the back of this project is going to be huge,” he said.

Coopers Stadium will have its capacity boosted from 16,500 to 22,000. The upgrade will overhaul changerooms, put a shade covering over the eastern grandstand and fully replace the current pitch surface.

There are also plans for new lighting and improved corporate and media areas. Premier Steven Marshall said FIFA’s choice of Australia for the World Cup had “inspired us to get ready in time”.

“It is a tired facility; it doesn’t have the changing facilities and spectator amenity that we are seeing in other stadiums right across the country,” Mr Marshall said.

He could not confirm how many games would be played at Coopers Stadium or wheththe Matildas would play in Adelaide. He said there was no back-up plan to move games to Adelaide Oval if the upgrade was not completed.

“We are absolutely convinced we will have the work completed in time for 2023.” Despite the upgrade, the stadium will not be FIFA-compliant for reasons including capacity, but an exemption has been granted.

Joining Adelaide as host cities are Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney and, across the ditch, Auckland, Dunedin, Hamilton and Wellington.

Football Australia president Chris Nikou said the tournament would be “the biggest sporting event on Australian soil since the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, showcasing Australia and New Zealand to a global audience of over one billion people”.

Adelaide United director Ian Smith was overjoyed.

“This is going to go way beyond soccer, it electrifies a country,” Mr Smith said. “It goes to the heart of communities. It is the world game and the world language.

“This announcement reflects the hard work of all involved in advocating to FIFA about why our fantastic venue should host matches. We’re confident an international event as big as this will leave a legacy for women’s football and women’s sport more broadly in this state.”

Pretty sure that's only temp seating. 
rooboy91
rooboy91
Hacker
Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)Hacker (430 reputation)

kaufusi - 6 Apr 2021 3:00 PM
rooboy91 - 6 Apr 2021 1:30 PM

Pretty sure that's only temp seating. 

Yeah, but the previous indications were that the temporary seating wouldn't get the capacity over 20k.
localstar
localstar
Pro

rooboy91 - 6 Apr 2021 3:40 PM
kaufusi - 6 Apr 2021 3:00 PM

Yeah, but the previous indications were that the temporary seating wouldn't get the capacity over 20k.

Sounds dodgy then- I'll be staying clear of the temporary seating myself.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search