AL Grand Final winners won’t play ACL?!

AL Grand Final winners won’t play ACL?!

Author
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paladisious - 9 May 2021 7:38 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 9 May 2021 7:17 PM

And a fair few that don't, especially in South America.

You need a degree to figure out some of their systems.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

paladisious - 9 May 2021 4:54 PM
libelous - 9 May 2021 3:15 PM

If that's your opinion, you're welcome to it. The crowds suggest that most other football fans feel differently. Ask any A-League fan what their five most memorable games were. I'd bet that the majority would be finals, definitely is for me. The look on the players' faces when they either win or lose a grand final would suggest that they don't see them as totally pointless either. I prefer having one last piece of silverware in our top league that is guaranteed to not be settled until the final whistle of the season. None of this takes away from the Premier's Plate or FFA Cup, in my view.

Most Finals Series crowd are casual supporters, who hardly would attend a normal game of the round.
I have fellow football mates and friends would attend a Finals game only, I'm sure this isn't rare but the norm BUT you quote most other football fans ? yer the followers of nrl/afl tag along to watch a finals game I guess and general public.
Ofcourse they would rate a Finals game who wouldn't as long as its a good one and the colours you follow win thats how it goes here having followed the main opponents Finals Series, doesn't mean its right but good entertainment nonetheles BUT it does take away from the Premiers Plate big time.
We all have grown up here, gayfl/nrl has ruined it all for the Premier - it means nothing to the general spectator but the GF winner.
Same goes in our motor racing for years, the Championship winner is shaded by the Bathurst 1000 winner.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

paladisious - 9 May 2021 6:54 PM
libelous - 9 May 2021 6:40 PM

Bit of a stretch in your interpretation there I reckon. The winners are clearly elated and the losers are in tears almost to a man in every occasion, I think the sample size is big enough at this point. I'm not going to go digging for videos though, but I'm quite confident in my claim that A-League players really like to win the grand final and really don't like losing it.

The excitement that you are looking for can be achieved in a Cup Final, so if the FFA Cup (or whatever name it is given) evolves the way Cup tournaments elsewhere do just get into it and you will get your ‘shiver down the spine ‘ moment.

Sure I love the cup, but I like a knockout end for the league season too, and don't see any good reason why we can't have both, in addition to silverware for the first-part-the-post league winner.

The way they do it in England isn't the only way football can be played. My Colombian mate's team, Atletico Nacional, just finished top of the league but lost their first final, but unlike Australia they get nothing. He only learned that the league in England can be decided weeks before the end of the season after he moved to Australia, and when I told him that at the start of these dead rubber games in England the opposition teams stand in a guard of honour and clap for the champions he thought I was pulling his leg!

So, X sth americans don't know what really occurs outside their box, much like many one eyed americans.
Let me get this straight, your columbian mate is ignorant to some of their most famous footballers who went abroad to euro leagues, like Falcao,Hammers Rodriguez,Asprilla, Cuadrado, Martinez and many more famous earlier on.....like come on they have/are all playing in leagues that have first past the post !
He's pulling you or visa versa with all due respect.
My Chilean mate knows all their top players playing abroad and know all too well how it all works.
Just as we would re our own playing abroad, you marvelled at the Kewells/Dukes etcetc for their you own playing abroad you follow their seasons - I don't buy it.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

paladisious - 9 May 2021 4:54 PM
libelous - 9 May 2021 3:15 PM

If that's your opinion, you're welcome to it. The crowds suggest that most other football fans feel differently. Ask any A-League fan what their five most memorable games were. I'd bet that the majority would be finals, definitely is for me. The look on the players' faces when they either win or lose a grand final would suggest that they don't see them as totally pointless either. I prefer having one last piece of silverware in our top league that is guaranteed to not be settled until the final whistle of the season. None of this takes away from the Premier's Plate or FFA Cup, in my view.

Not just Aleague fans BTW Pala... Ask most NPL and old NSL fans the same question and you will get many misty eyed tales of finals glory... There are plenty of wrongs with soccer in this country but finals isn't one of them. Now a lop sides draw where teams can play some teams 3 times and other only twice is absolute balls for example.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Song - 10 May 2021 8:19 AM

robbos - 7 May 2021 3:33 PM

Have a look at the images from when Sydney won the premiership and championship, compare the players reactions. 

It is probably right to say that winning the premiership is a fairer reflection of who the best team for the season has been, as compared to the championship winners. However, it is clear that the players mentality is about winning the GF, that is the ultimate prize. It is also clear from crowd sizes, TV etc that the finals and GF are of higher relevance to the vast majority of fans compared to winning the premiership. Yes, there can be 'injustices' along the way by having the ultimate prize through a final series, but your claim of only celebrating premierships and not championships (if I take your word for it) puts you firmly within the minority opinion. And that is fine, but the game should recognise and adhere to the majority view on this issue. 

Maybe not celebrating the win was not worded correctly by me. I celebrated the Grand Final win. However, in most sports in Australia this is recognised as the being the best team of the year.
I didn't celebrate the winning of the 2018/19 GF on a Penalty shoot out after finishing 8 pts behind Perth Glory as being the best team of the year.
In 2017/18, we won the premiership by 14 pts & 23 pts ahead of Melbourne Victory, who beat us in Xtra time & went on to win the GF. They played well in the final series, but in my humble opinion, you would struggle to convince me that Sydney FC was not far & away the best team that year & winning the premiership by 14 pts proved that.

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 9 May 2021 10:44 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 8 May 2021 4:27 PM

Very key point.... How Afl and recently AL has been getting away with an unfair draw every year and not being brought up on anti-corruption or conspiracy to manipulate a sporting contest for financial benefit charge from CAS is baffling. Epecially considering how many gambling products are offered for both of these codes.... 

AFL is a shit Melbourne sport, so who cares, just wished it stayed in Melbourne.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search