Preview: Matildas vs Republic of Ireland [Comments]

Preview: Matildas vs Republic of Ireland [Comments]

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

All the best to Lucy Quinn 

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://10play.com.au/live/ten

On now in Ireland. Simon Hill on the mic.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

1:0 Ireland on 3min. Free kick into post then off keeper hand into goal. Bit silly.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Poor keeping sees a ground shot by Fowler go in 1:1.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

2:1 Ireland. Honestly. Failure to clear then a half volley deflects and spins and hits inside of post and in. Keeper shuffles across so incredibly slow.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

2:2 at the break with another Fowler goal.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

12 matches for tony.

2 wins
2 draws
8 losses

he won’t be the coach if he loses the next couple surely.

richv
richv
Super Fan
Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)

chondro - 22 Sep 2021 5:55 AM
12 matches for tony.

2 wins
2 draws
8 losses

he won’t be the coach if he loses the next couple surely.

One of those wins was in extra time too, was only a draw after 90 min. All those games have been against pretty tough opposition though. Except the win against NZ.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

richv - 22 Sep 2021 6:12 AM

One of those wins was in extra time too, was only a draw after 90 min. All those games have been against pretty tough opposition though. Except the win against NZ.

We're supposed to be a top 10 team. You'd expect at least a 50% win loss ratio.

Member since 2008.

Reedy
Reedy
Rising Star
Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)

I have only caught a couple of the games under Tony so I’ll ask the people who will know better - is there a style of play that we are developing that suggests we are working towards something better? Does it look like we are building something that takes a bit of time but the losses will be worth it later? 

I’m picturing something like the period between the WC14 and Asian Cup 15 under Ange, we had mainly draws/losses in that 6 month lead up, BUT I think there were new players blooded, the team were learning the playing style, playing away from home,  more caps/exp for the younger members of the squad etc. It was all friendlies from memory so it was a good opportunity for all of the above. Paid off in the end with a trophy.

banzai
banzai
Hacker
Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)Hacker (356 reputation)

Surely Ireland weren't meant to be tough opposition. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Staj just lingering at the background thinking what if? 
mark_000au
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

2nd half was just terrible to watch. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

banzai - 22 Sep 2021 1:45 PM

Surely Ireland weren't meant to be tough opposition. 

Ranked 33 in the world. We should be pining these clowns.

Poor old Staj. Must be half crying half laughing into his coffee.

Member since 2008.

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Staj IN
Muz
Muz
Legend

Reedy - 22 Sep 2021 8:11 AM
I have only caught a couple of the games under Tony so I’ll ask the people who will know better - is there a style of play that we are developing that suggests we are working towards something better? Does it look like we are building something that takes a bit of time but the losses will be worth it later? 

I’m picturing something like the period between the WC14 and Asian Cup 15 under Ange, we had mainly draws/losses in that 6 month lead up, BUT I think there were new players blooded, the team were learning the playing style, playing away from home,  more caps/exp for the younger members of the squad etc. It was all friendlies from memory so it was a good opportunity for all of the above. Paid off in the end with a trophy.

The style is this. Try and bore the opposition to death by having 75% possession (90% in our own half) and try and jag a deflected goal in. (Worked once this morning.)  Then get caught on the counter by a defence that leaks more than a sieve.

Also keep defenders that are past their best and way too slow for international football. (Looking at you Polks.) 

Member since 2008.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Have a really tall CB who makes several game critical stuff ups every match.

Make sure we have players up front who cannot pass a ball to another player half the time.

We are not playing at all well across the park, and our forwards seem to be lacking either service or the ability to create.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

2 goals for fowler 
handful of debuts

ROI only have 1 starting player in thier domestic league
Need another young keeper for wwc23 (michah 1st choice) 
need to cast the net further for future camps and matches as the U20 have no games for the foreseeable future

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Ireland’s b team also…

supposed to be trialling cbs and tony plays the 3 we use over n over again.

lack of backup rbs and he brings in 6 lbs, many of which have no business at this level at this age.

2-2-8 record.
A few more losses without a win and tony has to go.

we need to go back to a back 4 imo. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by chondro
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I was bitterly disappointed with our showing this game (as my post above may have indicated).

I cannot stand watching professional players unable to complete a simple, non-pressured pass to a team mate - and all the more when it is Kerr and Fowler at the pointy end of the field doing it when we count on them to be the more clinical with their touches.

Fowler got two lucky goals - neither of them really anything that you could hang your hat on. We did not score them so much as Ireland conceded them.

At the other end we had Polks (total respect for her, but her ability to position and think under pressure is now well short of making up for the lack of pace defensively). And then Kennedy. With a desperate and late attempt to cut out a dangerous cross she headed that ball onto the crossbar. Then running the ball up the left sideline she did that brilliant 360 turn on the ball to get through no space at all - then stuffed up with an under hit short pass infield and gave away the ball.

We have gone backwards in our style of play and in our players - and because I know we can do so much better I really struggle to watch them play now.

Painful, painful, painful.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search