How Do you see finals going?

How Do you see finals going?

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I see:

Western vs Wellington 

Adelaide vs mariners 

Adelaide vs victory 

city vs Wellington 

victory vs city final 

sure there will be twists and turns but that’s how I see it 
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

@ mcg

You  could   be   right.  Then   again ,  you  could  be   wrong.

But   one    might   ask ,  Why   have   a   finals  series ... ?

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Remote Control - 5 May 2022 9:55 PM
@ mcg

Man you just don’t give up do you 😂 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

@ mcg

Ask Frank Lowy , he started it that way.
Edited
2 Years Ago by SUTHERLANDBEAR
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 5 May 2022 10:34 PM

Ask Frank Lowy , he started it that way.

This one you can't blame on Lowy... Finals have been in place for a long long time here
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 May 2022 10:36 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 5 May 2022 10:34 PM

This one you can't blame on Lowy... Finals have been in place for a long long time here

Only referring to the A league for Remote brain.
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Are   there   any   other   leagues    around   the   world   that   actually   have  a  finals   series ?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Remote Control - 5 May 2022 10:54 PM
Are   there   any   other   leagues    around   the   world   that   actually   have  a  finals   series ?

You truly are amazing.... how you manage to keep,to a consistent double spacing when you type, although your grammar and spelling fluctuate wildly depending on which one of your personalities your playing with that day...  Well done. 
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 May 2022 11:03 PM

You truly are amazing.... how you manage to keep,to a consistent double spacing when you type, although your grammar and spelling fluctuate wildly depending on which one of your personalities your playing with that day...  Well done. 

lol that was clever ... but accurate .... well done mate...
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

You obviously don’t follow football so why don’t you go back to big footy where you belong 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

It's a tough one to predict this season.
All comes down to those results this weekend of SFC v MV, AU vs WU and MC vs NIX.
If they can't finish 1st, MV could be better off if they finish 3rd. That way there would not face AU in the semi-finals. Keep in mind that the semi-finals are now a home/away tie, with the highest ranked side choosing whether they play home or away first. MV/AU games are always tough and especially tough in a finals series. Then you add in the fact they have to play two games. The risk of either side going into the grand final with injuries and/or red carded players would be very high.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

someguyjc - 6 May 2022 1:17 PM
It's a tough one to predict this season.
All comes down to those results this weekend of SFC v MV, AU vs WU and MC vs NIX.
If they can't finish 1st, MV could be better off if they finish 3rd. That way there would not face AU in the semi-finals. Keep in mind that the semi-finals are now a home/away tie, with the highest ranked side choosing whether they play home or away first. MV/AU games are always tough and especially tough in a finals series. Then you add in the fact they have to play two games. The risk of either side going into the grand final with injuries and/or red carded players would be very high.

And risk being eliminated in week 1? Lol.

Why would we not wanna play Adealide in the semi final? We’ve played in Adelaide 5 times this season (including FFA Cup) and are undefeated. beat them twice at Hindmarsh.  Playing a 2 legged semi-final against Adelaide is as juicy as fuck for us. It’s always a big away trip for us. But at a guess, the first leg will be away? So it might be mid-week? I still think we will come in numbers. 

Edited
2 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 6 May 2022 1:23 PM
someguyjc - 6 May 2022 1:17 PM

And risk being eliminated in week 1? Lol.

Why would we not wanna play Adealide in the semi final? We’ve played in Adelaide 5 times this season (including FFA Cup) and are undefeated. beat them twice at Hindmarsh.  Playing a 2 legged semi-final against Adelaide is as juicy as fuck for us. It’s always a big away trip for us. But at a guess, the first leg will be away? So it might be mid-week? I still think we will come in numbers. 

All games are going to be tough, but an AU semi would be the toughest of the group. Obviously it is fantastic for the fans, and those two games would probably be the highlights of the finals series. However I would much rather face them in a GF rather than a semi. I would much rather a MV/AU GF rather than a MC/MV or and MV/WU GF. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

someguyjc - 6 May 2022 1:28 PM

All games are going to be tough, but an AU semi would be the toughest of the group. Obviously it is fantastic for the fans, and those two games would probably be the highlights of the finals series. However I would much rather face them in a GF rather than a semi. I would much rather a MV/AU GF rather than a MC/MV or and MV/WU GF. 

each to their own. i don't fear anyone with the way we're playing atm. 

And in all honesty, i think a derby GF would be a big boost for the AL... something we desperately need. 
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro

Melbcityguy - 6 May 2022 8:19 AM

You obviously don’t follow football so why don’t you go back to big footy where you belong 

If   the   answer   to  my   question    is   so  easy , why  is  it  that   you  can't   seem  to   answer   it  ?
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Feed_The_Brox - 6 May 2022 1:52 PM
someguyjc - 6 May 2022 1:28 PM

each to their own. i don't fear anyone with the way we're playing atm. 

And in all honesty, i think a derby GF would be a big boost for the AL... something we desperately need. 

I don't fear losing, I reckon MV will make the GF not matter who they face. It's the increased risk of injury and red cards, which is more likely if we have to face AU in a semi. And if we can't take out the premiership, i'd rather the easiest path to the GF.
As for a Melbourne Derby GF, I tend to disagree that it's a boost for the AL. Financially, it obviously would make a lot of money from ticket sales, but I guarantee if you asked any non-MV/MC fans, would they rather watch a Melbourne Derby GF or a AU/CCM GF they are gonna choose the latter. I'd definitely take an AU/CCM GF over a MC/WU GF.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Remote Control - 6 May 2022 1:53 PM
Melbcityguy - 6 May 2022 8:19 AM

If   the   answer   to  my   question    is   so  easy , why  is  it  that   you  can't   seem  to   answer   it  ?
Find someone who loves you like remote control loves string me up lol 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

someguyjc - 6 May 2022 2:04 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 6 May 2022 1:52 PM

I don't fear losing, I reckon MV will make the GF not matter who they face. It's the increased risk of injury and red cards, which is more likely if we have to face AU in a semi. And if we can't take out the premiership, i'd rather the easiest path to the GF.
As for a Melbourne Derby GF, I tend to disagree that it's a boost for the AL. Financially, it obviously would make a lot of money from ticket sales, but I guarantee if you asked any non-MV/MC fans, would they rather watch a Melbourne Derby GF or a AU/CCM GF they are gonna choose the latter. I'd definitely take an AU/CCM GF over a MC/WU GF.

Saturday night,  mvfc vs mcfc grand final. The match on tv, it'll get more people just in Melbourne tuning in rather than a ccm vs au grand final available to the whole country. 

But personally I'd rather see city fall to pieces miserably like I think they will before a grand final. 
Savic
Savic
Rising Star
Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)

So in summary, I definitely just see a bunch of Victory fans packing it about potentially having to play AU in the semi.
You gotta come unstuck some time. 
Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Western United will win the grand final after choking in the league, have more hunger I reckon. 

AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Edit
  • For the elimination finals, both Adelaide and Western have been strong at home this season so it's theirs to lose.
  • If they can win, the Mariners would give a good fight against either Melbourne team, especially given the controversies they have had with them both this season. At their best, they could cause an upset.
  • I find it hard to see Victory be beaten unless they're paired against Western or the Mariners
  • City against Adelaide or the Mariners could throw some surprises especially if City are not at their best
I think the likely scenario would be an all-Melbourne final, and the nightmare scenario would be a City vs Western GF, with a Tom Glover fumble to be the deiding goal.

Edited
2 Years Ago by AyyLeague
AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

The one Frank Lowy took inspiration from.

petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

European Champions League?

richv
richv
Super Fan
Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)Super Fan (128 reputation)

The semi finals are home and away over two legs.
So if WU beat the Nix.
Are WU v MC home and away games both at AAMI park?
If so how stupid is that.
After such a congested run of games to then make teams play two games over three days at the same venue? 
AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker

richv - 11 May 2022 8:02 AM
So if WU beat the Nix.
After such a congested run of games to then make teams play two games over three days at the same venue? 

lol good point, but I'd imageine Western would play their match out in Geelong since they played them there in the opening week of the season.

tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

richv - 11 May 2022 8:02 AM
So if WU beat the Nix.

If WU win, they'd play MV, not us. Other than that, your point stands. It was the same thing at the ACL. Why play 'home and away' all at the same venue?

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Finals Schedule:

Elimination:
Sat 14th May - WU vs NIX @ AAMI
Sun 15th May - AU vs CCM @ Coopers

Semi:
Tue 17th May - (WU or NIX) vs MC @ TBD
Wed 18th May - (AU or CCM) vs MV @ TBD
Sat 21st May - MC vs (WU or NIX) @ AAMI
Sun 22nd May - MV vs (AU or CCM) @ AAMI

GF:
Sat 28th May

Note all finals will be live on both Paramount and 10/10 Play

Edited
2 Years Ago by someguyjc
tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

someguyjc - 11 May 2022 12:37 PM
Finals Schedule:

Elimination:
Sat 14th May - WU vs NIX @ AAMI
Sun 15th May - AU vs CCM @ Coopers

Semi:
Tue 17th May - (WU or NIX) vs MC @ TBD
Wed 18th May - (AU or CCM) vs MV @ TBD
Sat 21st May - MC vs (WU or NIX) @ AAMI
Sun 22nd May - MV vs (AU or CCM) @ AAMI

GF:
Sat 28th May

Note all finals will be live on both Paramount and 10/10 Play

Just a note that for the semis, City will play the lower ranked winner of the eliminations, and Victory will play the higher ranked. Currently we only know that City won't play Western, and Victory won't play Wellington.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Wednesday night is an interesting choice
I dare say a Saturday night semi final at home vs Victory would have gotten our biggest crowd of the year by far but oh well.

To be honest I have this awful feeling CCM are gonna do us at home Sunday anyway.

two teams on a 5 game winning streak is going to be a hell of a tussle
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Also it's quite interesting.

4th place is way more enticing than it used to be.

IF we were to win, we would play Victory midweek who haven't played in 11 days after our 6th win in a row in our 5th home game in a row.

Again NB the big "if" aha
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search