A league Semi Final 2022 thread

A league Semi Final 2022 thread

Author
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Captain Haddock - 17 May 2022 9:12 PM
Butler99 - 17 May 2022 10:43 AM

Been saying it for months now-

APL want a Victory v City GF. The other traditional rivalries in the league (The Big Blue/ The Sydney Derby/ F3D) have gone stale and the APL want to milk the emerging Melbourne derby for all its worth.

They also want the narrative about the Victory's amazing turnaround from wooden spooners just a season ago to GF contestants against the team who smashed them last year. Plus, take a shot every time they talk about how great it is to see Melbourne, after the COVID lockdowns and empty stadiums, with a sold out stadium in full voice.

Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne

Melbourne Melbourne

Melbourne

Melbourne.

There's no doubt that a victory vs city gf would be ideal for APL and the best outcome for the league (from the teams that made the finals) but there isn't any conspiracy going on. 
(Personally hope city fail against Adelaide)

Would've preferred another goal for victory but this team is very good, even when they are struggling they get results. 
If that had been a victory team from the past 5/6 years they would've certainly lost that game. 

griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)

Davide82 - 17 May 2022 8:51 PM
Victory's time wasting this season has been an utter utter disgrace.

I haven't hated Victory this much in years 

😂 wouldn’t have it any other way 😂
griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)

Perhaps not the best game for a neutral to watch. Was pretty nervy from an MV fan’s perspective. WU started well, then once MV settled, it just seemed like WU were poised to strike on the counter. 

Good result for Victory in the end. Incredible goal!

Looking forward to Saturday.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Davide82 - 17 May 2022 9:28 PM
Are you suggesting they did anything to get what they wanted?

You're certainly implying it so I'm curious what that is... 

They might not necessarily have to. Victory (and City) may well do what it takes to make the decider from here themselves. But it wouldn't surprise me to see WU or Adelaide get screwed with some terrible calls if it's a tight one...

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I love a good conspiracy but they can’t even schedule a game right I don’t think they have the brains to rig a match 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

someguyjc - 17 May 2022 12:44 PM
Looking at ticket prices:

WU are charging more for tonight's game than MV is charging on Saturday.
$28 for GA tonight, $25 for GA on Saturday.

AU are charging more for tonight's game than MC is charging for Saturday.
$31 for GA tonight, $30 for GA on Sunday.

thats strange considering the APL run the finals.

Davide82 - 17 May 2022 8:52 PM
Opposition coaches have had a go at him. 
Fans obviously. 
Now finally refs are wise to it. 
Too little too late.

There's no honour in winning the way they do

salty much?

honestly, i thought WU played into our hands last night. They let us have the ball, which allowed us to run them ragged knowing they have to play 3 games in 7 days. We played a very strategic game last night and I can see us putting a few past them on Saturday.

Captain Haddock - 17 May 2022 9:12 PM
Been saying it for months now-

APL want a Victory v City GF. The other traditional rivalries in the league (The Big Blue/ The Sydney Derby/ F3D) have gone stale and the APL want to milk the emerging Melbourne derby for all its worth.

They also want the narrative about the Victory's amazing turnaround from wooden spooners just a season ago to GF contestants against the team who smashed them last year. Plus, take a shot every time they talk about how great it is to see Melbourne, after the COVID lockdowns and empty stadiums, with a sold out stadium in full voice.

Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne

strange post. Are you a follower of QAnon as well? Or are you also salty Melbourne is the centre of the Football universe right now? I would have thought everyone (excluding WU and AU fans) would wanna see a derby GF. It might well be the kickstart the game needs.   

Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 18 May 2022 2:03 PM

. It might well be the kickstart the game needs.   

Perhaps it'd be akin to a defibrillator the league needs. 
alvn1
alvn1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Booney - 16 May 2022 2:33 PM
On paper Victory should be too strong for the Lost Boys but if they can draw or lose by a single goal  tomorrow night then WU will worry them leading into the second match.

Adelaide outplayed CCM ,especially catching them on the fast break,and cleverly fouling them when they threatened,Can they repeat the game plan against City over two legs? Definitely possible especially if Glover is having one of his "special" games.Goodwin and Yengi could really test him and Bernado is a real threat as a sub.

I think a Victory v Adelaide GF is a distinct possibility.

I dont know what would be a bigger final, City v Victory or Victory v Adelaide, but I'm finding it difficult to picture adelaide getting past city, unbeaten run or no.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

alvn1 - 18 May 2022 5:06 PM
Booney - 16 May 2022 2:33 PM

I dont know what would be a bigger final, City v Victory or Victory v Adelaide, but I'm finding it difficult to picture adelaide getting past city, unbeaten run or no.

I reckon the Melbourne Derby would be bigger, but I reckon an MV/AU final would be a better game to watch. There is always a good level of aggression from both sides in the MV/AU games. Whereas in a Melbourne Derby the teams seem to be more cautious and take less risks. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Adelaide v MCFC

McClaren suprisingly missed two good chances.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Watching the dross served up by Corica this season I'm glad Sydney didn't make the finals.   
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

I like Adelaide.  They're set up really well, they don't need to have the ball all the time.  They're containing City so far besides those JmC chances.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

1st Half fizzled out a bit however I'm sure Carl Veart is pleased with containing MCFC's style of play. Don't want a team like that to get into their groove.   

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

Not a handball.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

I'm going to post nudes.  Anyone else care to comment.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

0-0

Good to see a football forum so interested in live football.   
Edited
2 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Bit of a surprising result. I was fully expecting a handful of goals in this one. Most of the shots on goal weren't that threatening, apart from Nabbout hitting the post. I reckon we could see a red card or two if Sunday's game is another nil all affair. 
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I actuallly like two legged finals. 
Adelaide lucky to get the draw in the end. Tilio seems to have gone off the boil a little recently.  Form slump 

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Is it just me who doesn't rate Kisnorbo as a coach? He's been gifted an amazing squad as all he has seems to do is get them together playing as less than the sum of their parts. 

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

charlied - 18 May 2022 9:18 PM
Is it just me who doesn't rate Kisnorbo as a coach? He's been gifted an amazing squad as all he has seems to do is get them together playing as less than the sum of their parts. 

Ok and what about the coaches before him who couldn’t land us a title?
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Melbcityguy - 18 May 2022 9:34 PM
charlied - 18 May 2022 9:18 PM

Ok and what about the coaches before him who couldn’t land us a title?

Whataboutisms are never a good argument. 

You can't deny Kisnorbo inherited a very good squad from Mombaerts. He's done well with that squad and even made some good signings here and there. However, this season definitely wasn't as good as the last season. Which is fine when you win the premiership, however he could be walking a similar path to Corica. Whether he wins the double this year or not, he has some important decisions to make in the off season. It's very easy to become complacent in a closed league. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Some great saves by Gauci. Glover should have been taking notes 🤔
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Balin Trev - 18 May 2022 10:11 PM
Some great saves by Gauci. Glover should have been taking notes 🤔

Glover did ok mate
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 18 May 2022 9:00 PM
0-0

Good to see a football forum so interested in live football.   

Haha good effort with the commentary mate! I was watching & not looking at the forum during the game, otherwise I would've responded 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I thought Adelaide were very poor last night. Have a feeling City will destroy them on Sunday.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Feed_The_Brox - 19 May 2022 12:19 PM
I thought Adelaide were very poor last night. Have a feeling City will destroy them on Sunday.

Bit harsh calling a clean sheet poor. City definitely had the better of the chances though.
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

SoccerooFan - 18 May 2022 10:37 PM
Balin Trev - 18 May 2022 10:11 PM

Glover did ok mate

Hardly at same level as Gauci though 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Balin Trev - 19 May 2022 2:43 PM
SoccerooFan - 18 May 2022 10:37 PM

Hardly at same level as Gauci though 

To be fair, Glover had much less to do. AU only managed 6 shots on goal and only 3 on target.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Big semi final tonight expecting victory to hold out the win 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search