Are we on the cusp of a better generation?

Are we on the cusp of a better generation?

Author
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Jake Brimmer? 
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

jas88 - 25 May 2022 3:46 PM
Podiacide - 25 May 2022 11:52 AM

100% right! I think Teague is another one that might break through next year. He's played over 50 games now against professional men in a country he doesn't speak the language and he's only 20.

Teague should have been one of the first picked for the u23's squad, but somehow was overlooked
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
jas88 - 25 May 2022 3:46 PM
Podiacide - 25 May 2022 11:52 AM

100% right! I think Teague is another one that might break through next year. He's played over 50 games now against professional men in a country he doesn't speak the language and he's only 20.

Is that the case? Would be stoked if so, but every online source I can find point to him only having started 13 games in the Portuguese 2nd Division, and being subbed on in 11 additional games.

Would absolutely love for him to kick on though. He was our best at Joeys level back in the day. 
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

till we have a 2nd division and a get transfer fees to an acceptable level the league and the Socceroos will continue to be sub-par - as too many potential talents leave for rubbish leagues in west Asia or give up to easily in top European leagues for easy money in Asia or in the MLS 

the AL has improved but so has a number of leagues around the world from 'smaller' footballing nations have come up it is more competitive now then ever and we still have a 'sub-par' format after almost 2 decades of a professional league. 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
2 Years Ago by Davstar
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Watched my first AL game  for some time a few weeks ago, between Western United and Melb Vic.

From 2009 I started compiling stats for a while on  AL and ACL games, and Socceroo fixtures. At the  time I spent weeks in an advanced  coaching course. All the new methodology they applied in analysing  our style of game, was that Aussie teams struggled to keep the ball,  having to  work too hard to keep the ball - and - the  play was in the transitions all the time.

Transitions, Defensive and Attacking, means the  phases of play between Possession and Ball Possession Opposition. In  2008 and until about 5 years later, Aussie teams, even the national team, struggled to pass the ball more than 180 times in a game.

In the game I watched a few weeks ago, Melb Vic had accrued 380 odd passes by half time. Western United accrued 199 by half time. This equates to circa 770 and 400 passes for an entire game! 

Football technique - first touch, passing the ball, body shape, both footedness, handling speed, movement off the ball, etc, has improved immeasurably for both teams to be able to maintain possession so much more easily than 10 -15 years ago. So the A L has improved decidedly in technical terms.

We are playing a more technical short passing game - but - it is a question of the rate we've improved compared to our Asian opponents.  
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 26 May 2022 12:01 AM
Watched my first AL game  for some time a few weeks ago, between Western United and Melb Vic.

From 2009 I started compiling stats for a while on  AL and ACL games, and Socceroo fixtures. At the  time I spent weeks in an advanced  coaching course. All the new methodology they applied in analysing  our style of game, was that Aussie teams struggled to keep the ball,  having to  work too hard to keep the ball - and - the  play was in the transitions all the time.

Transitions, Defensive and Attacking, means the  phases of play between Possession and Ball Possession Opposition. In  2008 and until about 5 years later, Aussie teams, even the national team, struggled to pass the ball more than 180 times in a game.

In the game I watched a few weeks ago, Melb Vic had accrued 380 odd passes by half time. Western United accrued 199 by half time. This equates to circa 770 and 400 passes for an entire game! 

Football technique - first touch, passing the ball, body shape, both footedness, handling speed, movement off the ball, etc, has improved immeasurably for both teams to be able to maintain possession so much more easily than 10 -15 years ago. So the A L has improved decidedly in technical terms.

We are playing a more technical short passing game - but - it is a question of the rate we've improved compared to our Asian opponents.  

We have definitely improved our depth. The question is whether the guys at the very top are any better than previous generations.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

SWandP - 24 May 2022 8:12 AM
Yes.  You should see what the kids are doing on the parks on the weekends.  The problem is the same as in the past:  at 16 years of age the great majority of the talent leaves the game.

Most always will.

However, if there is a clear path to a professional career, then the most driven (not always the most talented) will push on.  If there was an additional 300 places available, within country, for those kids to aspire to, then the wastage will reduce to less devastating levels.

The creation of that second division will be the formative step that elevates professional football from its baby knees to at least a stumbling toddler's gait.

Correct. Too many talented players fade away as the reality of a pathway/destination dries up.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

roosty - 24 May 2022 11:41 AM
2007: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2008: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2009: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2010: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2011: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2012: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2013: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2014: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2015: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2016: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2017: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2018: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2019: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2020: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2021: very excited about youth and prospects for the future
2022: very excited about youth and prospects for the future

Hit the nail on the head, great post
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Barca4Life - 24 May 2022 1:55 PM
It depends on a few things but mainly it will come down to the clubs they play for and things like injuries don't get in the way of promising young players.

I do agree this is a promising generation, for me that stands out from this is so how some are technically gifted they are primary due to the curriculum influence but to the popularity of futsal which in my opinion should be encouraged more at all levels because its making a difference in the type of players we are developing i.e Rogic, Arzani, Tilio etc.

Another key point there is also an the new emergence of the African diaspora coming in it's giving us a different outlook compared to the past which was predominately European Australian.

But it's looking promising so far, hopefully we can continue to improve with more elite club academies, the NSD but also we get longer seasons with more games and continued improvements in good coach education and talent ID.

Lots of variables at play, firstly COVID allowed for more opportunity for younger players. The churn of an older generation of recycled players is coming to an end.
Disappointed for Tulio and Colakovski, both in my opinion should have received more game time.

Personally I think the quality was mostly there abouts, opportunity is a problem along with brave coaches who believe in youth.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 26 May 2022 12:01 AM
From 2009 I started compiling stats for a while on  AL and ACL games, and Socceroo fixtures. 

Got any xG stats? cant find any, every league in world has them except a-league. Even though the people that invented them a partners with victory haha
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search