You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Author
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jun 2020 10:44 PM
Netflix have removed little Britain from its streaming service and in the U.S HBO have removed Gone with the Wind as a realist of the BLM protests.

I hate this fucking planet. I really do. 

Time to stock up on the complete DVD set of Little Britain, all of Chris Lilley's work, Drawn Together and maybe also the special edition of Blazing Saddles...

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
mcjules - 13 Jun 2020 11:49 AM
Munrubenmuz - 13 Jun 2020 11:40 AM

Nothing really, the "blackface" pv4 is referring to is not like the others. The character is portraying a fictional elf and is not trying to parody black humans in any way. Sure there's a chance that there might be an overreaction to trying to do the right thing but if it were to happen it already would have I reckon.

I mean Pierce literally refers to Chang as "Al Jolson" and then directly says "I attack him, I attack Black Face!" in that episode so there is only so oblivious we can all claim to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt1Ms-X2cu8&t=9s

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 13 Jun 2020 8:45 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jun 2020 10:44 PM

Time to stock up on the complete DVD set of Little Britain, all of Chris Lilley's work, Drawn Together and maybe also the special edition of Blazing Saddles...

I love the sheriff from Blazing Saddles replacing the Sheriff of Rottingham in Robin Hood - Men in Tights - saying "Well it worked in Blazing Saddles"  
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

How long until the likes of Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock get "blacklisted" (pardon the pun) for expressing views or humour that are "wrong" for African Americans to be expressing in the current year A.D?

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

pv4 - 15 Jun 2020 1:24 PM
mcjules - 13 Jun 2020 11:49 AM

I mean Pierce literally refers to Chang as "Al Jolson" and then directly says "I attack him, I attack Black Face!" in that episode so there is only so oblivious we can all claim to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt1Ms-X2cu8&t=9s

It'd actually be humorous if it did get pulled because of that. Again, I doubt it'll get pulled. Pierce, who is not supposed to be a likeable character anyway, is not praising/condoning Chang for his blackened skin. Chang is not pretending to be a black human. None of it is anything like what is in the Mighty Boosh or Chris Lilley's shows.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

mcjules - 15 Jun 2020 6:29 PM
pv4 - 15 Jun 2020 1:24 PM

It'd actually be humorous if it did get pulled because of that. Again, I doubt it'll get pulled. Pierce, who is not supposed to be a likeable character anyway, is not praising/condoning Chang for his blackened skin. Chang is not pretending to be a black human. None of it is anything like what is in the Mighty Boosh or Chris Lilley's shows.

Look Community is one of my favourite ever shows. But The Mighty Boosh is right up there for me also. If the Boosh is being pulled because of Rudi van Disarzio, as well as The Spirit of Jazz, I can't work out how they don't pale in comparison to all of the racist shit in Community - if I made a list it would be absurd. I mean two characters, Chang & Pierce, are almost exclusively written about race. They lean hard on Shirley's race, mostly because in my opinion they'd struggle to write much else for her. Annie and Troy are consistently bringing race into the mix too. Thru the entire show there is a consistent joke about why they don't have an hispanic friend yet ffs. Yes basically all of the race themes in Community is done in satire, but I'm not sure any show in the target line right now had any different intentions. I also find it ridiculous to compare the Boosh to Chris Lilley's shows. The links to the Boosh are so effing mild, it makes no sense how easily it was put on the chopping block to me. If the Boosh falls, I can't work out how Community hasn't yet too. 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

pv4 - 16 Jun 2020 6:47 AM
mcjules - 15 Jun 2020 6:29 PM

Look Community is one of my favourite ever shows. But The Mighty Boosh is right up there for me also. If the Boosh is being pulled because of Rudi van Disarzio, as well as The Spirit of Jazz, I can't work out how they don't pale in comparison to all of the racist shit in Community - if I made a list it would be absurd. I mean two characters, Chang & Pierce, are almost exclusively written about race. They lean hard on Shirley's race, mostly because in my opinion they'd struggle to write much else for her. Annie and Troy are consistently bringing race into the mix too. Thru the entire show there is a consistent joke about why they don't have an hispanic friend yet ffs. Yes basically all of the race themes in Community is done in satire, but I'm not sure any show in the target line right now had any different intentions. I also find it ridiculous to compare the Boosh to Chris Lilley's shows. The links to the Boosh are so effing mild, it makes no sense how easily it was put on the chopping block to me. If the Boosh falls, I can't work out how Community hasn't yet too. 

I guess community has more episodes than the Boosh so it will just take a bit longer for censors to find the Newspeak infractions. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

people responding to Libel

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Glory Recruit - 20 Jun 2020 5:29 PM
people responding to Libel

Literal waste of time.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

WGMG: Foxtel box stuffed up last week (unrelated to current issue now),  they sent a new one,  now i can't connect because were in an opticomm estate and they say the strength of the signal is no good and that we have to go to satellite. (Our signal was fine last week, i do also know foxtel were moving away from this system)

Weve been a week without any tv, now have to wait another week, they want us to pay $140 for it to be installed, the kicker... we arent allowed anything on our roofs in our estate,  and they actually police it here. So foxtel seems to be out.

Before anyone says you don't need foxtel,  we can't stream here,  the internet in our area is diabolical, barely works and is so slow you can't stream when it does. 

pv4
pv4
Legend

scubaroo - 23 Jun 2020 1:33 PM
WGMG: Foxtel box stuffed up last week (unrelated to current issue now),  they sent a new one,  now i can't connect because were in an opticomm estate and they say the strength of the signal is no good and that we have to go to satellite. (Our signal was fine last week, i do also know foxtel were moving away from this system)

Weve been a week without any tv, now have to wait another week, they want us to pay $140 for it to be installed, the kicker... we arent allowed anything on our roofs in our estate,  and they actually police it here. So foxtel seems to be out.

Before anyone says you don't need foxtel,  we can't stream here,  the internet in our area is diabolical, barely works and is so slow you can't stream when it does. 

Assuming the old box was not your fault. And assuming you have been paying for the service this entire time. And assuming you & Foxtel can find a resolution that keeps Foxtel connected. I would be telling them that you will not be paying any installation fees for what was their problem, during which you have been paying for a non-existent service. A quick mention of the ombudsman and they'll more than likely facilitate you, too. Hell if the box failure is their fault I would even be prompting them to find a fix using their own efforts, and if they can't find one you'll seek further damages. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

you can still get foxtel thru  opticomm. Foxtel told me the same thing but tell them you'll leave and watch them jump.  Also opticomm estates are a pain . Most companies hate dealing with them because it's a head fuckfor customer service 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Jun 2020 7:57 PM

you can still get foxtel thru  opticomm. Foxtel told me the same thing but tell them you'll leave and watch them jump.  Also opticomm estates are a pain . Most companies hate dealing with them because it's a head fuckfor customer service 

Had a technician come this afternoon,  was lucky they were in the area,  theyve already done 6 change overs in a week in our estate,  which is no more than a few blocks. They have to produce evidence for each individual premises,  they then send it through to opticomm to show the fault and we are now getting a satellite connection next Monday,  no cost and we've gotten the ok by the estate for it due to no other option. 

The tech even said wed probably have similar problems with internet,  which is funny (not funny) as our internet has always been bad, we changed to a new one and it was better and in the last month it's gotten to the point where i generally have to plugged into the ethernet to get a slow speed.

Opticomm a good waste of $3,000 we had no choice in. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

scubaroo - 24 Jun 2020 12:03 AM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Jun 2020 7:57 PM

Had a technician come this afternoon,  was lucky they were in the area,  theyve already done 6 change overs in a week in our estate,  which is no more than a few blocks. They have to produce evidence for each individual premises,  they then send it through to opticomm to show the fault and we are now getting a satellite connection next Monday,  no cost and we've gotten the ok by the estate for it due to no other option. 

The tech even said wed probably have similar problems with internet,  which is funny (not funny) as our internet has always been bad, we changed to a new one and it was better and in the last month it's gotten to the point where i generally have to plugged into the ethernet to get a slow speed.

Opticomm a good waste of $3,000 we had no choice in. 

Oh I know. Hence why some new estates don't want opticomm to come in as its a literal head fuck for everyone involved . Techis  hate them .
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Brilliant post I read on social media turning people against each other:

I blame it mostly on social media. We arent evolved enough as animals to handle a constant stream of unlimited information, with most of it being biased. We can't sift through it all to identify what is true and what isn't. When arguing online you don't get visual cues and natural empathy that comes from face to face contact. That makes it easier for the brain to see the other person as less human since it is just text. Makes it easier to be extremely hostile and say shit you'd never say to their face.

Your friend groups or whatever also force you into echo chambers that reinforce your beliefs. Even if only 5% of the population agrees with you it feels like you are the overwhelming majority.

Social media makes government psy-ops much easier. No real need to explain. Pretty obvious.

Social media hijacks the brains dopamine release system. Likes, debates and comments trigger dopamine releases. The average person checks their phone over 170 times a day or some shit. Dopamine is addictive and when taken away causes depression and anxiety. Lowered sense of self worth. Youtubers have break downs when they lose viewers, kids commit suicide when they don't have enough IG followers. And with stimulant addiction (mostly working off dopamine), a symptom over long term addicts is mental degradation, agitation, rage, and psychosis. Of course this last statement is hypothetical, but social media could be literally causing people to go crazy and hostile with each other.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

WGMG: Getting sick of being sick. Its probably just a roughly cold or maybe flu but my wife, daughter and myself have been isolating since Thursday (but i had been home before that),  I've been sick with sore throat,  headache,  fever,  aches, it pretty much went away on Wednesday then smashed me on Thursday,  had really blurry vision thats when we decided to go to the doctors, had to get a covid test,  conjunctivitis on Friday Saturday and today. Bloody awful.
My daughter started the same as me but by Thursday she had an ear infection and a rash, and my wife is essentially the same as new just a few days behind. 
I don't get colds or flus(last one i remember was 2013) but when i do, they absolutely smash me.

I just want to go out and get some food... and probably not be able to eat it.  
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

WGMG. My oldest deciding to play AFL this year.

He's working now and although he has mates playing both it's $400 for him to play seniors football or $130 for AFL.  And he gets a club polo, socks, shorts with AFL.

For a bloke on just over minimum wage it's understandable.

I mean good on him and all that.  I'm sure he'll enjoy it but if it weren't for the money he'd still be playing football.

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 2 Jul 2020 4:55 PM
WGMG. My oldest deciding to play AFL this year.

He's working now and although he has mates playing both it's $400 for him to play seniors football or $130 for AFL.  And he gets a club polo, socks, shorts with AFL.

For a bloke on just over minimum wage it's understandable.

I mean good on him and all that.  I'm sure he'll enjoy it but if it weren't for the money he'd still be playing football.

Thats the biggest issue here and america. Football fees are incredibly obscene.  Hell when zlatan calls out the system in the us about being all about the money somethings is wrong
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Aaaand its gone... 

Vghttps://www.denofgeek.com/tv/community-netflix-and-hulu-remove-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode/

Context means absolutely nothing to these clowns. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 3 Jul 2020 10:08 AM
Aaaand its gone... 

Vghttps://www.denofgeek.com/tv/community-netflix-and-hulu-remove-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode/

Context means absolutely nothing to these clowns. 

And people wonder why the right wing side of politics is booming.  

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

ErogenousZone - 3 Jul 2020 10:25 AM
sydneyfc1987 - 3 Jul 2020 10:08 AM

And people wonder why the right wing side of politics is booming.  

Its getting harder to argue against the right wing narrative that this is a modern day book burning.  

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Well they really Britta'd that one. At least they didn't pull the whole lot.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

mcjules - 3 Jul 2020 2:31 PM
Well they really Britta'd that one. At least they didn't pull the whole lot.

Give it time.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Fortunately there's a lot of African Americans on twitter panning the move as the unproductive, un-nuanced and insincere act of corporate virtue signalling that it is. No public comment from Netflix on the matter at all, last time I checked, so hopefully they'll slip it back on just as quietly once the heat's off.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

paladisious - 3 Jul 2020 3:09 PM
Fortunately there's a lot of African Americans on twitter panning the move as the unproductive, un-nuanced and insincere act of corporate virtue signalling that it is. No public comment from Netflix on the matter at all, last time I checked, so hopefully they'll slip it back on just as quietly once the heat's off.

I would love to know if there is anyone, anywhere who actually called for its removal. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 3 Jul 2020 3:57 PM

I would love to know if there is anyone, anywhere who actually called for its removal. 

Gotta look progressive...

But the easier option would be to put a disclaimer at the start of the show? Why didn’t they just do that?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Not as far as I'm aware. I guess Netflix had a team going through their catalogue and purging anything that they thought would get them in trouble.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Burztur - 3 Jul 2020 6:30 PM

Gotta look progressive...

But the easier option would be to put a disclaimer at the start of the show? Why didn’t they just do that?

WARNING: The following episode contains scenes in which a man is dressed up as a mythical elf creature. Some white people pretending to care about black people may be too stupid to understand that this doesn't constitute racism and as a result may be offended. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 3 Jul 2020 7:30 PM
Burztur - 3 Jul 2020 6:30 PM

WARNING: The following episode contains scenes in which a man is dressed up as a mythical elf creature. Some white people pretending to care about black people may be too stupid to understand that this doesn't constitute racism and as a result may be offended. 

😂😂😂 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Pretty much. But more PC :)
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search