You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Author
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
pv4 - 12 Jan 2021 11:56 AM
scubaroo - 12 Jan 2021 10:20 AM

My eldest corrects her daycare "educators" on their spelling of certain things :lol: so definitely seek proper advice when it comes to all of that. 

Clearly you’ve been teaching her to a high standard!
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

pv4 - 12 Jan 2021 11:56 AM
scubaroo - 12 Jan 2021 10:20 AM

My eldest corrects her daycare "educators" on their spelling of certain things :lol: so definitely seek proper advice when it comes to all of that. 

My daughter isn't even 3, i don't think spelling is going to be an issue for a while. 

As for spelling i know secondary school teachers that cannot spell, for instance they spell does as dose (eg: he dose the washing) wtf and will spell the word "hey" as "hay" there are others but can't think of them of them off the top of my head. 
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

WGMG-

A couple of days ago I was driving when I heard on Triple J news about the woman and her two children found dead in Tullamarine. The man (at that time unnamed) was currently helping Police with the investigation, and sadly I thought straight away that this terrible tragedy has happened but already the usual suspects would be licking their lips, just waiting to demonise the entire male gender like they did 12 months ago in the wake of that awful murder/ suicide in Camp Hill. 

Then last night I saw on the news it's been confirmed that the mother murdered the children and suicided (this was ABC News) and straight after the story it had numbers for the mental health lines (as there should be, I'm not complaining about this whatsoever) BUT-

Where is the mass condemnation from the media for a parent committing the worst of crimes against their own children?

Where are the snarky copy-paste articles from the satire pages calling out offended feminist caricatures squealing "Not all women!"?

Where are the special news current affairs shows full of the usual suspects lecturing 12 million Australian women about how this single terrible act is all their collective fault somehow?

Zero. Zilch. Fuck all. Absolute silence.

I've said it before (maybe even on here now, I forget) but I'll say it again: it's disgraceful how we only condemn infanticide if it's carried out by one gender, but almost excuse it on some undiagnosed mental health issue if it's the other gender. This blatant double standard only causes even more division and misunderstanding and dysfunction in our already dysfunctional society and it shits me off.

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Edited
3 Years Ago by Captain Haddock
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 16 Jan 2021 1:49 PM
WGMG-

A couple of days ago I was driving when I heard on Triple J news about the woman and her two children found dead in Tullamarine. The man (at that time unnamed) was currently helping Police with the investigation, and sadly I thought straight away that this terrible tragedy has happened but already the usual suspects would be licking their lips, just waiting to demonise the entire male gender like they did 12 months ago in the wake of that awful murder/ suicide in Camp Hill. 

Then last night I saw on the news it's been confirmed that the mother murdered the children and suicided (this was ABC News) and straight after the story it had numbers for the mental health lines (as there should be, I'm not complaining about this whatsoever) BUT-

Where is the mass condemnation from the media for a parent committing the worst of crimes against their own children?

Where are the snarky copy-paste articles from the satire pages calling out offended feminist caricatures squealing "Not all women!"?

Where are the special news current affairs shows full of the usual suspects lecturing 12 million Australian women about how this single terrible act is all their collective fault somehow?

Zero. Zilch. Fuck all. Absolute silence.

I've said it before (maybe even on here now, I forget) but I'll say it again: it's disgraceful how we only condemn infanticide if it's carried out by one gender, but almost excuse it on some undiagnosed mental health issue if it's the other gender. This blatant double standard only causes even more division and misunderstanding and dysfunction in our already dysfunctional society and it shits me off.

It may just be that the overwhelming majority of murder-suicides (usually a domestic crime) are committed by men. 

When up to 95% (see below for a North American study, I've seen similar stats for Australia but couldn't find it on the fly) of these sort of horrid crimes have a male perpetrator its going to be something people latch onto no? 

https://www.vpc.org/studies/amroul2006.pdf

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 16 Jan 2021 6:15 PM

It may just be that the overwhelming majority of murder-suicides (usually a domestic crime) are committed by men. 

When up to 95% (see below for a North American study, I've seen similar stats for Australia but couldn't find it on the fly) of these sort of horrid crimes have a male perpetrator its going to be something people latch onto no? 

What about the retrospective justification of the blokes that kill their kids and wife.  Particularly if they're a farmer or some such other 'honourable' profession.  'Oh he was such a good bloke, we never expected from him, times were tough on the land, finances were hard etc etc.'

Blah blah fucking blah.

Case in point the bloke in Lockhart that killed his family.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/bush-mail/2015/oct/10/tragedy-of-hunt-family-lockhart-close-to-home-domestic-violence-australia

Member since 2008.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

It should be something people latch onto regardless of who who commits the offence. 

Ask yourself: if this recent murder/ suicide in Melbourne had been committed by the father, do you think it would've been handled differently by the media?

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 20 Jan 2021 1:36 PM

It should be something people latch onto regardless of who who commits the offence. 

Ask yourself: if this recent murder/ suicide in Melbourne had been committed by the father, do you think it would've been handled differently by the media?

Depends if he was a farmer, a fireman or a policeman. 

Your premise is wrong.  Women are often portrayed as 'evil'.  That lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids, the mother whose 3 kids died of 'SIDS' and they suspected suffocated them, Lindy Chamberlain is an ancient but good example.  They all copped a pizzling in the press before, during and after.

Having said that there is likely some bias to mothers being treated more sympathetically in the media because, I'd guess, it's far more unlikely for a woman to kill her kids than a man. 

My point is some blokes get a sympathetic post mortem in the press because they happened to be a 'good bloke' that coached the local footy team or sold raffle tickets down the pub.  That's flat out wrong too.

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Yes it absolutely would have because far more men do it and it represents a trend. As such people argue that there may be a sociocultural issue where some men feel they "own" their children and women and have a right to end their lives. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Wgmg:  Have to get a ultra sound due to having pain in my left groin area . Scared shitless 
Muz
Muz
Legend

WGMG.  Handing your Australia Day award back in or refusing it?!  You're a sanctimonious prick.

So I take it from now on everybody has to have an approved set of views and beliefs before they're allowed to be given an award?

Think Trump wasn't too bad?  Out.  Think the moon landing was fake?  Out.  Think pansexuals are having a bet each way? Out.

What a crock of shit.  Not only that you make other recipients who received an award look 'bad' or feel guilty in comparison.

Kerry O'Brien can fuck right off.

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Wgmg: ended up going to my doctors then had to be sent to emergency. Ended up having  varicocele on the left teste . Might have to get surgery 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 30 Jan 2021 6:11 PM
Wgmg: ended up going to my doctors then had to be sent to emergency. Ended up having  varicocele on the left teste . Might have to get surgery 

Sorry to hear. While not as bad as what could've been found, arranging and going through any surgery is annoying. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

johnszasz - 30 Jan 2021 6:41 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 30 Jan 2021 6:11 PM

Sorry to hear. While not as bad as what could've been found, arranging and going through any surgery is annoying. 

Yeah could be much worse.  Hopefully surgery isn't needed but its up to the urologist
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

sydneyfc1987 - 20 Jan 2021 2:16 PM

Yes it absolutely would have because far more men do it and it represents a trend. As such people argue that there may be a sociocultural issue where some men feel they "own" their children and women and have a right to end their lives. 

It depends upon the state of the relationship. It can also be the case that the marriage is on the rocks and the wife is threatening to leave and take full custody of the children. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Wgmg: Andrew bolts newest o.p . There's being based and then there's bolt. 

Muz
Muz
Legend

WGMG and WFMB:

Share trading. I'm having a dabble.

What a load of shit some of these shares that rocket up are.  Jumped on 2 that have gone nuts based on nothing more than hype and bullshit talk on the internet.  When you try and research why they have there's some basic good news behind them but nothing to justify the meteoric rise in the share price.  See Tesla for a perfect example.  By market cap they're the biggest car manufacturer in the world.  Are they?  Not by a long shot.

Anyway whilst they're going up I'm not whinging but I am resigned to the fact that it'll all blow up in my face soon enough.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Muz
Muz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 30 Jan 2021 7:42 PM
johnszasz - 30 Jan 2021 6:41 PM

Yeah could be much worse.  Hopefully surgery isn't needed but its up to the urologist

You OK?

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 15 Feb 2021 12:08 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 30 Jan 2021 7:42 PM

You OK?

Still waiting on outpaitents.  
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 15 Feb 2021 11:56 AM
WGMG and WFMB:

What a load of shit some of these shares that rocket up are.  Jumped on 2 that have gone nuts based on nothing more than hype and bullshit talk on the internet.  When you try and research why they have there's some basic good news behind them but nothing to justify the meteoric rise in the share price.  See Tesla for a perfect example.  By market cap they're the biggest car manufacturer in the world.  Are they?  Not by a long shot.

Anyway whilst they're going up I'm not whinging but I am resigned to the fact that it'll all blow up in my face soon enough.

The tip is often to ride it. I practice on a simulator connected to the real market but using real money is still a bit of a step for me. I'm trying to get into ETFs but there are so many online brokers in Germany and none come across as fair on fees or customer service/ withdrawal speed in reviews which makes me a bit cautious.
Muz
Muz
Legend

johnszasz - 15 Feb 2021 7:47 PM

The tip is often to ride it. I practice on a simulator connected to the real market but using real money is still a bit of a step for me. I'm trying to get into ETFs but there are so many online brokers in Germany and none come across as fair on fees or customer service/ withdrawal speed in reviews which makes me a bit cautious.

So much to learn about all of this.  I plunged in because there's only one way to learn and that's by staking up real cash.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 15 Feb 2021 7:37 PM
Munrubenmuz - 15 Feb 2021 12:08 PM

Still waiting on outpaitents.  

Good luck then.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

WGMG and WFMB:

Update.  Didn't blow up in my face but those shares which went bananas retreated to what I bought them for.  Sold out when they got near my buy in price and made a $2k profit.  Not too bad until you realise I was up $28k at one stage before they started to sink.

Knew it was too good to be true.  

Member since 2008.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 18 Mar 2021 3:23 PM

Update.  Didn't blow up in my face but those shares which went bananas retreated to what I bought them for.  Sold out when they got near my buy in price and made a $2k profit.  Not too bad until you realise I was up $28k at one stage before they started to sink.

Yep, when you read some autobiographies and stuff of successful investors over in Wall Street, it's literally just rich narcisstic crackheads that play games with other peoples money.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 18 Mar 2021 3:23 PM

yer the nature of the beast for us mere poor mortals.
My son mid last year bought into a German battery development company.
Great pick up so low and couple of months back went gang busters, even spoilt Gina Reinhardt bought into it, he got up to around $60k....
He shouldnt have listened to his Mum, hold on boy hold on, yer sure it settled back down he's on around $30/40k, still way in front but he's livid not opting out on the peak then.

Love Football

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

WGMG: Go to Queensland they said,  beautiful one day perfect the next they said... fucking pissing down since we got here 3 days ago haha. So all you can do is eat and drink. 
And that surfers paradise area,  looks like a dump,  why does it all look so dilapidated? Glad we aren't staying anywhere near there. 
Next few days should be good though. But would like to catch a break and have fuss free holiday one day. 

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

2 in a row... well i am good at complaining. 

WGMG: Trigeminal Neuralgia has been flairing up since mid november. 
Im super sensitive to the meds as alot filter through the liver and my numbers sky rocket on very low doses. So I'm on a very low dose of tegretol and have been on 400mg 2 times a day for 2 years of gabapentin, they are now gradually stepping me up to 3,600mg a day.  It's a BIG jump and I've already been feeling it,  nauseous and dizzy but I've been told by 3 doctors that i will get used to it at each step. 
I've also been told that I'm NOT to undertake any work whatsoever till at least late may, not that i even have a job anyway. (Lost it late December,  no ones fault really just a termination of contract due to centralisation of Fire Rescue Victoria).
So I've got documents for centrelink for that,  but due to covid rules being reversed we are not Eligable for anything.

So now i "sleep" sitting up, can't sleep at night,  sleepy during the day,  feel like I'm being simultaneously struck by lightning in my eye and drilled by a jackhammer in jaw. Cheek on fire, lips nose and inside of my mouth get numb. Then the brain fog. 

So much complaining!

And then there's the worst thing... my fucking football club is a disaster! Get your shit together victory. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The ABC just now dedicating several minutes of TV news coverage about a Tesla crash in Texas that killed two people, implying that their automatic features are dangerous (there wasn't even anyone in the driver's seat at the time of the crash!) and that EV batteries are ticking time bombs. No mention of how many tens of thousands of people have been killed worldwide by fossil fuel vehicles without automatic features since the last Tesla fatality.
Muz
Muz
Legend

paladisious - 19 Apr 2021 5:49 PM
The ABC just now dedicating several minutes of TV news coverage about a Tesla crash in Texas that killed two people, implying that their automatic features are dangerous (there wasn't even anyone in the driver's seat at the time of the crash!) and that EV batteries are ticking time bombs. No mention of how many tens of thousands of people have been killed worldwide by fossil fuel vehicles without automatic features since the last Tesla fatality.

True.  The relative risks are way out of whack but self driving cars are a fairly new concept to be fair. 

It's like blokes that get chomped by a shark.  You're a thousand times more likely to die in a car accident but what makes the news? 

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

paladisious - 19 Apr 2021 5:49 PM

What did you expect? The abc have become a puppet of the lnp/right.  
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

WGMG: trying to book tickets for the victory vs ccm game but ticketek won't recognise our member IDs. Ticketek don't really have any way to connect them other than a form and mvfc is closed.

Don't really want to make the 4 hour round trip having to pay extra for tickets. Bullshit.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search