Movies Thread 2.0

Movies Thread 2.0

Author
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
marconi101 wrote:
What are your Top 5 favourite movies?

Mine are:
1. Watchmen
2. Silence of the Lambs
3. Monthy Pythons movies (can't separate them)
4. District 9
5. V for Vendetta

Can't pick 5, but 'Pool A' would include...
Fight Club, The Blues Brothers, Aliens, Predator, Good Will Hunting, Being John Malcovich, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption, Rocky, Jaws, Finding Nemo, Rudy, The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Bourne Trilogy (can't separate them), The Matrix, The Dark Knight, The Matrix, Animal House, American Pie, First Blood, Seven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Dirty Dozen, Three Kings, The French Connection, Ocean's Eleven (Soderberg version), Snatch, Lord of the Rings (all three), Life of Brian, The Thing, Wonder Boys, The Longest Yard (original), etc.

Inception would be in 'Pool B' along with all of your choices... Great movies all of them.
anth
anth
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Saw Karate Kid the other day... not too bad at all actually.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

imnofreak wrote:
[spoiler]Benj, do you think that only the end is a dream, or going all the way back to the whole thing?

I also read that everytime he is dreaming he is wearing a wedding ring - but he isn't wearing it at the end.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]My feeling was that the movie was what it appeared to be right up until they all 'woke up' at the end. From that moment on we were in Cobb's perfect world, therefore - for me - he was 'lost'

Another point, now that I've fallen foul of the spoilers... Anyone else think it's funny that Di Caprio has done back-to-back movies in which his dead wife haunted him from beyond the grave inside his own head?[/spoiler]
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
imnofreak wrote:
[spoiler]Benj, do you think that only the end is a dream, or going all the way back to the whole thing?

I also read that everytime he is dreaming he is wearing a wedding ring - but he isn't wearing it at the end.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]My feeling was that the movie was what it appeared to be right up until they all 'woke up' at the end. From that moment on we were in Cobb's perfect world, therefore - for me - he was 'lost'

Another point, now that I've fallen foul of the spoilers... Anyone else think it's funny that Di Caprio has done back-to-back movies in which his dead wife haunted him from beyond the grave inside his own head?[/spoiler]

Haha that occured to me as well.

And yeah, I see what you mean about just the end. It's certainly plausible.

imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

Saw it again tonight. Picked up a few new things. Absolutely brilliant second time round.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

ARGH rage at not being able to read the spoilers because i haven't seen it yet... might have to see it tomorrow
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:
Can't pick 5, but 'Pool A' would include...
Fight Club, The Blues Brothers, Aliens, Predator, Good Will Hunting, Being John Malcovich, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption, Rocky, Jaws, Finding Nemo, Rudy, The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Bourne Trilogy (can't separate them), The Matrix, The Dark Knight, The Matrix, Animal House, American Pie, First Blood, Seven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Dirty Dozen, Three Kings, The French Connection, Ocean's Eleven (Soderberg version), Snatch, Lord of the Rings (all three), Life of Brian, The Thing, Wonder Boys, The Longest Yard (original), etc.

Inception would be in 'Pool B' along with all of your choices... Great movies all of them.

Three Kings, Syriana, Oceans Eleven, Snatch, Rocknrolla, Children of Men, Fight Club, The Bourne Trilogy, In Bruges, A Clockwork Orange, Psycho all 'pool a' for mine.
Quote:
ARGH rage at not being able to read the spoilers because i haven't seen it yet... might have to see it tomorrow

This.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Children of Men, Boondock Saints, City of God, Snatch, Rock n Rolla, Anchorman, Bourne trilogy, Gladiator, Heat etc tons more just can't list them all off the top of my head
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

anybody seen the Aussie movie 'The Square'? im watching it on IQ now
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

scrap that... turned it off and put Two Hands on
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

avy1990 wrote:
Lacks Steven Seagal.

Have some of this...
No longer a pisstake trailer in a dodgy double-bill - Machete is now a film in it's own right, starring Danny Trejo, Cheech Marin, Steven Seagal, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Lindsey Lohan, Robert De Niro and 'introducing' Don Johnson. Love it!

[youtube]I16020r--oM[/youtube]

Edited by Benjamin: 31/7/2010 01:59:53 AM
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

i think i've just updated 'The Departed' from good movie to legendary status after watching it 4 years after i last saw it
charonis
charonis
Amateur
Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)Amateur (623 reputation)

While "The Departed" is good, I like the Hong Kong original "Infernal Affairs" a lot better and they manage to do it all in an hour less. (plus they have him undercover for like 10 years as opposed to what is it, 6 months?, so you can see how it's screwing him up a lot more)

They also made a couple sequels as well (one prequel and one sequel). Not as good as the original, but they continue and expand the story quite well.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

My A List
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Invictus, Meet the Parents, Watchmen, Aliens, The Godfather 2 Godfather, The Holy Grail, The Dark Knight, Shawn of the Dead, The Matrix, Terminator 2, Shrek, Star Wars 4 and 5, District 9 and Toy Story.

Edited by benjo: 3/8/2010 06:59:54 PM

Edited by benjo: 3/8/2010 07:00:57 PM
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

would be pointless to do my list because it would take far too long, i'd be squirming who to give the nod and who not too
socceroos_fan
socceroos_fan
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I always forget movies but ones that always spring to mind are My Dog Skip and Pay It Forward.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Watchmen was a good film but tbh I was let down a bit, it just doesn't capture the intensity of the graphic novel but to be fair it would be absolutely impossible to translate the original watchmen experience to film.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

Fredsta wrote:
Watchmen was a good film but tbh I was let down a bit, it just doesn't capture the intensity of the graphic novel but to be fair it would be absolutely impossible to translate the original watchmen experience to film.

i thought tbh the ending of the film was alot more logical than the graphic novel's but it was a massive task that had been attempted a few times because the project had been put up about 3 times before hand and had fallen apart for studio, casting and artistic differences... i think Snyder made a good effort of it taking in the majority of the material... Malin Akerman FTW
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Watched The Boat That Rocked yesterday. Pretty good movie.

Watched Hot Fuzz for the hundredth time as well. Love that movie.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

imnofreak wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
imnofreak wrote:

Haha that occured to me as well.

And yeah, I see what you mean about just the end. It's certainly plausible.

woooh now i can comment on Inception after seeing it tonight... also picked that up about Di Caprio with the link to Shutter Island... it's hard to say with the ending [spoiler]i reckon that it does eventually drop but i think that Nolan would of preferred it not to be (it's insinuated how it slows down right before they cut it that it's about to drop), i'm abit suspicious that the studios might of been pushing for a happyish ending?[/spoiler]

anybody's thoughts on it... i thought it was going to be more complex as people have said but i found it pretty easy to follow, doubt i'll need a 2nd viewing at the cinema although wouldn't mind it because of how visually stunning some of the scenes where, also how good was Handsome Bob from Rock'n'Rolla and the hot chick from The Boat That Rocked (only briefly though)

this might sound ridiculous but did anybody else get the feeling that it was sort of like an existential James Bond? maybe it's silly but i found a few similarities with Cobb and previous 007's as a character, and the [spoiler]snow[/spoiler] dream was just brilliant and the sort of espionage/spy sort of thing could easily be adapted to a James Bond film and not ridiculously done like Die Another Day... Gordon Jospeh Levitt brilliant again and is just getting better and better for him (same too with Ellen Page)... really hard to find a fault in the film although i don't think you can give it 5 stars (4 and a half), maybe give it a few years and in hindsight you'll say five stars but maybe not immediately afterwards
imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend

Quote:
body's thoughts on it... i thought it was going to be more complex as people have said but i found it pretty easy to follow, doubt i'll need a 2nd viewing at the cinema although wouldn't mind it because of how visually stunning some of the scenes where

Yeah it isn't too hard to follow, but I really wanted to see it again just to have a look at some of the finer details and nuances. It is certainly a movie you could see multiple times without getting sick of it.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

imnofreak wrote:
Quote:
body's thoughts on it... i thought it was going to be more complex as people have said but i found it pretty easy to follow, doubt i'll need a 2nd viewing at the cinema although wouldn't mind it because of how visually stunning some of the scenes where

Yeah it isn't too hard to follow, but I really wanted to see it again just to have a look at some of the finer details and nuances. It is certainly a movie you could see multiple times without getting sick of it.

well how visually stunning some of the scenes where, for example the Japanese dining room (i spose that's what a western would call it) and now the infamous double layered upside down Paris, as was stated early in the film, that the architect is just pure creation, the realms are endless... i'm sure numerous watches you'd find out about finer detail relating to Cobb's relationship but i don't think that it was too detrimental to the story that too much was given away. Question is now... where to for Nolan, surely this can't be eclipsed?... he's got the third part of his Batman trilogy to come but has a fine film maker peaked too early or is this the beginning of a beautiful relationship.... imno you should check out his first film 'Following' bit creepy and disturbing at times but well worth the watch
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Seeing Inception on Saturday. Can't wait.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

The Doctor wrote:

this might sound ridiculous but did anybody else get the feeling that it was sort of like an existential James Bond? maybe it's silly but i found a few similarities with Cobb and previous 007's as a character, and the [spoiler]snow[/spoiler] dream was just brilliant and the sort of espionage/spy sort of thing could easily be adapted to a James Bond film and not ridiculously done like Die Another Day

Funny thing is. That backdrop and set they used in that dream was actually used in a James Bond film:lol:
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

this might sound ridiculous but did anybody else get the feeling that it was sort of like an existential James Bond? maybe it's silly but i found a few similarities with Cobb and previous 007's as a character, and the [spoiler]snow[/spoiler] dream was just brilliant and the sort of espionage/spy sort of thing could easily be adapted to a James Bond film and not ridiculously done like Die Another Day

Funny thing is. That backdrop and set they used in that dream was actually used in a James Bond film:lol:

Coincidence? i think not :lol:
knew it looked very farmilar, scene from the World Is Not Enough? or whatever the one is about the Russian pipeline?
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

The Doctor wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

knew it looked very farmilar, scene from the World Is Not Enough? or whatever the one is about the Russian pipeline?

It's from Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's no surprise that it's in there when Chris Nolan admitted to a boyhood preoccupation with James Bond:lol:
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

hmmm well there was a definite snow scene in one of the crappy Pierce Brosnan one's...

just done some research, the HQ in the 3rd dream is a recreation of the HQ in OHMSS... but am i the only one who thinks that something like that a cross between Inception and 007 would be fucking awesome
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

It's from Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's no surprise that it's in there when Chris Nolan admitted to a boyhood preoccupation with James Bond:lol:

The snow sequences in OHMSS were shot in or Switzerland, the snow locations in Inception were shot in Canada. So, unless I've been mislead, they're not the same locations or sets, but I'd agree that the designed is heavily influenced on the look of the base in OHMSS.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Benjamin wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

The snow sequences in OHMSS were shot in or Switzerland, the snow locations in Inception were shot in Canada. So, unless I've been mislead, they're not the same locations or sets, but I'd agree that the designed is heavily influenced on the look of the base in OHMSS.

Yeah my bad on that one. It's not the same place but Nolan's favourite Bond movie was OHMSS so that explains the resemblance.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend

Fuck off Sam Mendes and get Nolan into Bond when the series starts up again so he doesn't do Superman (surely the most ridiculous superhero of the lot)
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search