Chelsea Football Club: Supporters Thread: 2011/12 Champions League Winner!

Chelsea Football Club: Supporters Thread: 2011/12 Champions League...

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Torres explains Chelsea move

5 February 2011-PA Sport

Fernando Torres has revealed Chelsea made its move for him long before the close of the January transfer window as he promised Liverpool fans the full story behind his controversial Anfield exit.

The Blues' record-breaking swoop for Torres looked to have been a classic smash-and-grab affair, with the £50 million ($79.45 million) deal sealed shortly before Monday's 11pm deadline and only four days after the Reds confirmed they had rejected a £35 million ($55.61 million) bid for the striker.

But Torres revealed during his unveiling as a Chelsea player at a jam-packed press conference that he learnt Chelsea had approached Liverpool '10 days or 12 days' before the window shut, demonstrating the Premier League champions had spent some time attempting to prise him away from Merseyside.

Torres also confirmed that was the point when he told the Reds hierarchy he wanted to leave, which was at least a week before he submitted a written transfer request.

"As soon as I knew that Liverpool and Chelsea were talking about that, I told them then that the decision was made and I would like them to talk seriously about the possibility," he said.

"I was the first one to go straight to the manager and all the people to tell them I wanted to leave."

Torres revealed upon signing for Chelsea that it was last northern summer when he began to feel he needed to move on, when his new club reportedly had another bid for him rejected.

That fuelled speculation the Spaniard had not been fully committed this season but he said: "I never lost my ambition. Too many people are talking about that, but it's just their opinions.

"I was playing out of form for months.

"I was not just playing there for six months, but for three-and-a-half years, and I always tried to help the club move forward."

Torres also spoke on Tuesday about the Blues being on a different level to Liverpool, London offering a better lifestyle than Merseyside and his desire to score against his former club this weekend, comments which irked some already-angry Anfield supporters.

A few had been filmed burning replica Torres shirts when his departure began to look inevitable and he attempted to placate the disenchanted when he said: "I only have good things to say about the Liverpool people and the supporters especially.

"I had a great three-and-a-half years there. They made me feel really good there.

"I will never say anything bad about that club, that city.

"I understand they will be angry and won't understand my decision.

"I'm sure in a few days, weeks, I will explain all the reasons."

The 26-year-old, who joined Liverpool from Atletico Madrid in the northern summer of 2007, added: "I was an Atletico Madrid fan and when some of the top players left the club, I didn't understand.

"But, in time, I understood they did the best for themselves and their families and their careers.

"I'm sure, with time, they (Liverpool fans) will see what I did there and will think it was fair.

"Football is like this. From one day to another, people can love you and then hate you.

"But I'm sure the majority of Liverpool fans are not thinking like the ones you can see on the TV."

Torres also promised not to celebrate if he scored against his former club, saying: "I have big respect for Liverpool fans."

But he admitted the thought of going one step further and asking to sit out the game had not crossed his mind, adding: "Why would I?"

Such was the interest in Torres, groups of journalists were forced to take turns to interview the most expensive player ever transferred between British clubs.

That was his first taste of the scrutiny he would be under at Stamford Bridge but the super-confident Spain star said: "I have been in this situation before when I signed for Liverpool - big money, big expectations - so it's nothing new for me.

"I'm more than ready for the challenge.

"I'm excited about this new life and this new era I have in front of me."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/chelsea/news/1043513/Torres-explains-Chelsea-move

Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Quote:
Chelsea wages soar

February 4, 2011

Chelsea's annual wage bill has soared to £172.5 million - almost £40 million more than the next highest payers Manchester City.

The figure for the year ending June 2010 is revealed in Chelsea's full annual accounts lodged with Companies House on Friday and shows a significant increase on the previous year.

In 2009, the club spent £165.6 million on wages but that sum included pay-offs worth £12.6 million to sacked manager Luiz Felipe Scolari and his assistants. Excluding the pay-offs, the rise in wages is £19.5 million and represents a 12.7% increase.

Manchester City's wage bill is £133.3 million, Manchester United's £131.7 million and Arsenal are fourth with £110 million spent annually on salaries, according to their most recent accounts.

Chelsea's wages are 82% of their turnover - more healthy than City's 106% - but way off United's level of 46% and Arsenal's of 49%.

The figures also confirm that Chelsea reported losses of £70.9 million compared to £44.4 million the previous year. The club indicated earlier this week that they believe they will halve their losses in the next financial year.

The latest accounts also reveal that Chelsea will be liable for £3.8 million extra in National Insurance contributions if HM Revenue and Customs succeeds in its legal case that image rights payments should be taxed as income.

If that is proved, the players themselves would be liable to pay any tax individually in relation to image rights.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/875881/chelsea-wages-soar-to-L172.5m?cc=3436

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea plan summer move for Fabregas

0Share.Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is planning a summer swoop for Cesc Fabregas, according to The Sun.

After splashing out for Fernando Torres and David Luiz, Roman Abramovich is eager to continue reinforcing the team and he is prepared to try and bring Cesc Fabregas to Stamford Bridge.

The Spanish midfield maestro has been linked with a return to Barcelona as the Catalans are ready to reignite their interest in the La Macia graduate after having a £40 million bid rejected last summer.

Fabregas has hinted on numerous occasions that he would love to return to Barca, but the £60 million price tag slapped by Arsene Wenger is proving to be a stumbling block for the Catalans.

However, Roman Abramovich will try to hijack any Barca bid in the summer as reports suggest he is willing to offer £50 million for the Spain international.

The possible obstacles to the move could be Fabregas’ desire to join Barcelona as well as his devotion to Arsenal fans, so the Blues will have a lot of persuading to do if they are to land the Gunners star.
.http://www.soccernews.com/chelsea-plan-summer-move-for-fabregas/69922/

BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Joffa wrote:
Chelsea's wages are 82% of their turnover - more healthy than City's 106% - but way off United's level of 46% and Arsenal's of 49%.

Thats crazy.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

BusbyBabe wrote:
Joffa wrote:

Thats crazy.

I can't say I am surprised though
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Seriously Joffa was that shit from the Sun worth even posting. Biggest load of tripe i've read in a long long time.

Although I will seriously die of laughter if Chelsea thought they had even a 0.0001% chance of getting Cesc :lol:
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Joffa wrote:
Quote:
Chelsea plan summer move for Fabregas

0Share.Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is planning a summer swoop for Cesc Fabregas, according to The Sun.

After splashing out for Fernando Torres and David Luiz, Roman Abramovich is eager to continue reinforcing the team and he is prepared to try and bring Cesc Fabregas to Stamford Bridge.

The Spanish midfield maestro has been linked with a return to Barcelona as the Catalans are ready to reignite their interest in the La Macia graduate after having a £40 million bid rejected last summer.

Fabregas has hinted on numerous occasions that he would love to return to Barca, but the £60 million price tag slapped by Arsene Wenger is proving to be a stumbling block for the Catalans.

However, Roman Abramovich will try to hijack any Barca bid in the summer as reports suggest he is willing to offer £50 million for the Spain international.

The possible obstacles to the move could be Fabregas’ desire to join Barcelona as well as his devotion to Arsenal fans, so the Blues will have a lot of persuading to do if they are to land the Gunners star.
.http://www.soccernews.com/chelsea-plan-summer-move-for-fabregas/69922/

I've seen more truth in an OJ Simpson autobiography

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Guus Hiddink Does Not Want Chelsea Return - As He Feels He Is Too Old For Club Management

The 64-year-old Turkey manager feels more suited to international football
Feb 9, 2011 9:14:00 AM

By Wayne Veysey

Guus Hiddink has distanced himself from a return to Chelsea or any other leading club managerial role – because he thinks he is too old.

The 64-year-old Dutchman was sounded out in December through third parties whether he was interested in being parachuted into the Stamford Bridge hot seat for a second time should Carlo Ancelotti be sacked as manager.

But Hiddink does not believe he has the energy to take on a major club job and do it to the standard that he would want.

The highly decorated coach is contracted to manage Turkey until 2012 with the option of another two years but it is understood that there is a break clause which allows him to leave in October should they not qualify for Euro 2012.

Hiddink is under pressure following three consecutive defeats, including a 1-0 qualifying loss to Azerbaijan that he described as “a complete disaster”, and Turkey’s Euro 2012 fate could be sealed by a March 29 visit to Austria, the team’s direct rivals for second place in a Group A that is comfortably led by Germany.

It is understood that even if Hiddink loses his job, he will not be seeking another rescue act at Chelsea, where he enjoyed a good relationship with owner Roman Abramovich.

Golden Guus | Hiddink has the respect of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich

“He doesn’t want to go back to club football,” a friend of the Dutchman told Goal.com UK. “I know the impact that Chelsea have on him but if he’s a club manager he wants to be on the pitch every day six days a week.
“He thinks that at his age being on the pitch six days a week for two to three seasons is not possible. If he goes to a club he wants to build something and doesn’t want to go for one year. He wants to go for two to three seasons. At his age, that is the main reason why he doesn’t want a club job.”

In 2009, Hiddink came in as a short-term measure following the dismissal of Luiz Felipe Scolari, and juggled his job as coach of Russia with a three-month spell in charge of Chelsea. During his brief reign, the Londoners finished third in the Premier League, won the FA Cup and were controversially defeated by eventual winners Barcelona in the Champions League at the semi-final stage.

It is believed the former South Korea, Netherlands and Australia boss would favour another international post or a senior executive role at one of Europe’s elite clubs.

The news will be a blow for Tottenham, who have the Dutchman on a shortlist of names to replace Harry Redknapp if he takes over the England team when Fabio Capello steps down next year. Manchester City and Liverpool have also sounded Hiddink out over the last 18 months about a return to the Premier League.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/02/09/2344438/guus-hiddink-does-not-want-chelsea-return-as-he-feels-he-is

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Roma Keep Track Of Chelsea Coach Carlo Ancelotti As Claudio Ranieri Stalls On New Deal - Report

Ancelotti in, Ranieri out at Roma for next season as American owners plan ahead...

By Salvatore Landolina
Feb 9, 2011 10:09:00 AM

Find the best odds and bet on the Premier League. Claudio Ranieri is about to lose grip on the power he holds at Roma as the new owners want to bring in Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti.

Thomas R. DiBenedetto is ready to wield his influence on the Premier League and haul Ancelotti back to his former club.

Il Corriere dello Sport reports Roma's new American owner is eager to bring in Ancelotti, whose season in London has been less than perfect.

Latest reports follow news on Tuesday claiming Ranieri has turned his back on a one-year extension offer.

His deal expires in the summer, leaving him with two options - brush aside reluctance and renew his bonds with Roma, or leave the club.

The latter would pave the way for Ancelotti to come in. Ranieri's next step would be a return to the Premier League with Liverpool.

Guus Hiddink was linked as the man to replace Ancelotti, but Goal.com UK revealed a return to Chelsea, where he had a brief spell in 2009, is unlikely.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2011/02/09/2344497/roma-keep-track-of-chelsea-coach-carlo-ancelotti-as-claudio

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Lampard fears Chelsea 'disaster'

February 19, 2011

.Chelsea stalwart Frank Lampard has admitted failure to qualify for next season's Champions League campaign would be a "disaster" for the London club.

Chelsea have slipped to fifth position in the Premier League with 12 matches to go following a protracted form slump followed by a failure to win either of their last two matches.

The troubled campaign has left Chelsea in an uncomfortable scrap for a Champions League place, a competition they have played in every season since 2003-2004.

"We must finish in the top four and can never take our eye off the ball. It would be a disaster if we didn't qualify," Lampard told the BBC.

With their chances of retaining the league virtually extinguished -- Manchester United are 12 points clear of the Blues -- Lampard said the club would focus on winning the FA Cup and Champions League.

"There's huge importance because you can see the league's going to be difficult and that means it's more important to reach finals," he said.

Lampard, 32, also believes that Chelsea's record STG50 million ($A79.94 million) signing Fernando Torres will eventually settle into the goalscoring groove after flopping in his first two matches for the club.

"He's made a huge difference," Lampard said. "No, he hasn't scored in two games but all the spotlight is on him. There's a huge responsibility, people are looking to him to do it instantly, but he will make a difference to us.

"He's a top-class player, he has boosted the lads already and for sure will come good, he's going to add to us in a big way."

Lampard also praised new defender David Luiz, the second component of a January transfer spree that took Chelsea's spending to 75 million pounds. Lampard said he had not expected Chelsea to spend big in the window.

"I was slightly surprised but it was very exciting and I was pleased," he said. "It's a huge boost to have such quality players that we needed at the time.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/lampard-fears-chelsea-disaster-20110218-1azvh.html.

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

https://twitter.com/#!/KyleDarron

Glad he's not a fan of my club. Just pathetic and so petty.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

All Chelsea fans are like that, sydcro. I mean...look at the respective club threads here.
Liverpool: 94 pages
Man U: 43 pages
Arsenal: 41 pages
Chelsea: 4 pages
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Not too hard to understand seeing as there is only two regular Chelsea fans.

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

marconi101 wrote:

OldSchool, you, joffa, 11.mvfc.11...
FarcosMlores
FarcosMlores
Fan
Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)

we'll pick up form : )
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

FarcosMlores wrote:
we'll pick up form : )

Three wins from sixteen games since Ray Wilkins was sacked... :-"
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
marconi101 wrote:

Have no idea who the first guy is, and I don't come in WF all that often because its infected with Arse/Liverpool/Manure superiority

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

marconi101 wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
marconi101 wrote:

Have no idea who the first guy is, and I don't come in WF all that often because its infected with Arse/Liverpool/Manure superiority

Well that's hardly going to fix your perceived problem, is it?
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Frank Arnesen to join Hamburg as sporting director [/size]

Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen has signed a three-year contract to take up a similar position at Bundeliga side Hamburg in the summer.

The 54-year-old Dane, who previously held a comparable role at Tottenham, announced last November that he would leave Chelsea at the end of the season.

"I am convinced that with the strength we have and the right decisions we can develop something big," said Arsensen.

Chelsea's chief scout Lee Congerton will also make the move to Germany.

Hamburg approached Arnesen after their first choice, German football federation technical director Matthias Sammer, turned down the job.

Club chairman Ernst-Otto Rieckhoff said the signing of Arnesen was a "great solution" to their two-year search for a sporting director.

Former Denmark international Arnesen played for Ajax, Valencia, Anderlecht and PSV Eindhoven, before retiring to become Bobby Robson's assistant at PSV Eindhoven in 1991.

Three years later he became PSV Eindhoven's sporting director, staying for 10 years, during which time Brazilian striker Ronaldo and Dutch winger Arjen Robben both joined the club.

In 2004 he joined Spurs before moving to Chelsea a year later.

The Premier League champions have been criticised for spending huge sums on players rather than producing new talent through the club's academy, which was also Arnesen's responsibility.

Chelsea won the FA Youth Cup last season, the first time since 1961, and 17-year-old English midfielder Josh McEachran has increasingly been used by first-team boss Carlo Ancelotti.

Captain John Terry is the last significant home-grown player to establish himself in the first team.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9402747.stm

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Mourinho: I still love Chelsea! Real Madrid boss refuses to rule out a return to Stamford Bridge

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 9:04 AM on 22nd February 2011

Jose Mourinho has offered his strongest hint yet that he would relish a return to the Stamford Bridge hotseat.

Pressure is mounting on under-fire Italian boss Carlo Ancelotti following Chelsea's alarming lack of form that has seen last season's double winners lose a grip on their Premier League title and dumped out of the FA Cup.

There has been a growing clamour among Blues supporters to see The Special One return after the Portuguese coach was axed by Russian owner Roman Abramovich in September 2007.

Mourinho, who guided Chelsea to two championships, two league cups and the FA Cup during his three-year tenure, revealed he still loves the west London club and is unsure whether he will see out his four-year contract in charge of Real Madrid.

He said: 'I don’t know. I love Chelsea. I was the happiest man when I was there. I was thinking I would be there all my life. So you never know.

'When I sign a contract, I sign with the intention to respect the contract and be happy.'

Doubts persist over whether the 48-year-old will stay at the Bernabeu beyond the the current campaign. Real are five points behind La Liga leaders Barcelona and Mourinho has encountered a frosty relationship with the club's sporting director Jorge Valdano of late.

Chelsea take on Copenhagen in the last 16 of the Champions League this evening, knowing that the European competition is their last hope of salvaging their disappointing season with silverware.

Mourinho's Real side are also in action tonight, against French outfit Lyon, and the Madrid boss wants to reach the May final at Wembley to defend the European Cup he won last year with Inter Milan.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1359409/Real-Madrid-boss-Jose-Mourinho-hints-Chelsea-return.html#ixzz1Eg7agk7P

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Gronkjaer lifts lid on first days of Abramovich Chelsea empire

21.02.11 | tribalfootball.com

FC Copenhagen veteran Jesper Gronkjaer has recalled the first days of Roman Abramovich's takeover of Chelsea.

Abramovich came in with his £140 million offer in 2004.

"I was on holiday in Denmark in my summer house when I heard about the takeover. I didn't imagine he (Abramovich) would have so much money and everything would change. No one did," Gronkjaer told the Independent.

"I remember on the second day of pre-season Abramovich turned up at the training ground and spoke to us in Russian, with someone translating. There were rumours about everything – new coach, new players, new training ground, new stadium. He wanted us all to calm down. It was a stressful period for everyone, and the players had mixed feelings. Most of the players were worrying about their own situations, would they stay or go?

"We went on pre-season tour and new players were arriving all the time, which was funny. One day Wayne Bridge would arrive and someone would leave, the next day Damien Duff turned up, then Geremi, Joe Cole, Veron. He bought a whole new team in a few weeks."

To add to the surreal nature of that season, Abramovich took to sitting in the dressing room after games, saying nothing, just taking it all in.

"I don't know if he could understand but he would just sit there, like one of the boys," Gronkjaer said.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/gronkjaer-lifts-lid-first-days-abramovich-chelsea-empire-1464821

Heartinator
Heartinator
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

2-0 after 80 mins --- C'mon boys !!!!
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Failing to Bridge the gap

February 24, 2011
By Norman Hubbard

Reports of their demise are not so much exaggerated as invented. That is the party line from Chelsea, proclaimed with a defiance that some of their displays can lack. While it is greeted with scepticism, the ultimate test lies in time. There are reasons to believe Chelsea are in decline, whether the age of their squad or their faltering form of late, but perhaps the greatest factor for believing that the greatest spell is nearing an end is simpler: history.

Put simply, only two English clubs have ever managed to extend excellence without interruption: Manchester United for the past two decades and Liverpool for the two before then. A case could be made for the inclusion of Arsenal, who are on course for a 15th successive top-four finish, but although a six-year wait for silverware might be ended on Sunday, a fallow period of that duration would be unacceptable for Chelsea. But even in marrying transition with damage limitation, Arsene Wenger is a rarity.

When others thought they had a dynasty, their subsequent slide proved they merely had a team. That is a particularly pertinent concern for Chelsea. Since the spine of Petr Cech, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba was formed in 2004, some key components, such as Arjen Robben, Damien Duff, William Gallas, Claude Makelele and Ricardo Carvalho, have been removed and others - Michael Essien, Ashley Cole, Florent Malouda and Nicolas Anelka - added. Yet in style and personnel, it is effectively one team. While the sense of stability has not extended to the dugout, several managers have implemented a similar ethos.

The £75 million investment in Fernando Torres and David Luiz is the latest attempt to extend Chelsea's glory years; the much-hyped youth policy was another. But posterity proves that breaking up a team is hard to do: replacements are often inferior or ill-fitting. Don Revie's Leeds side grew old together, as did Stan Cullis' Wolves. One of the charges that can be levelled against Kenny Dalglish is that, in his first spell at Anfield, he failed to prepare for the future - instead, Graeme Souness steamed in with too much money and too little judgment and discovered Dean Saunders, Mark Walters, Paul Stewart and Julian Dicks could not carry on a tradition of trophies.

Jamie Carragher made a compelling point last year when he argued that it was not Sir Alex Ferguson who knocked Liverpool from their perch but Souness. The warning, should Roman Abramovich choose to heed it, is that managerial changes often account for the fall from grace. Manchester City's finest team was steered off course when Malcolm Allison displaced Joe Mercer, going from sidekick to driver. Revie left Leeds, perhaps unwilling to face the reality that his stalwarts were nearing the end, but the incendiary choice of Brian Clough as his successor backfired. Everton played it safer in 1987, promoting from within by choosing Colin Harvey to carry on from Howard Kendall, but two league titles in three seasons have been followed by none in 23.

Herbert Chapman ensured the end of an era at Huddersfield by decamping for Arsenal, and the combination of his death in 1934 and the advent of World War II five years later stopped dominance becoming a theme at Highbury. It is one of two prime examples of misfortune: the greatest is at Old Trafford. Sir Matt Busby built three great teams, either side of two lulls. The first was caused by ageing, the second by the Munich Air Disaster. Without that, it is possible to imagine the generation of George Best, Brian Kidd and Nobby Stiles seamlessly succeeding the original Busby Babes while Duncan Edwards and Bobby Charlton straddled the eras. It was not to be, however, and United fell as far as 19th place in 1963.

Clough - after his rehabilitation at Nottingham Forest - and Tottenham's Bill Nicholson were other managerial patriarchs to capture silverware in their later years, but only after a dip. Each had two different teams at his respective club but bridging the gap contained difficulties.

The fly-by-night feats of one-time winners are explained by a more equal distribution of talent at the time. At a stage when more money separates top from bottom, the elite are more established. But sustained success has only been achieved twice. The formula is inexact: United have had one manager, Ferguson, whose extraordinary will to win helps explain it; Liverpool had four (Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan and Dalglish) with the Boot Room philosophy offering continuity.

The group of players who acquired the collective nickname 'Fergie's Fledglings' remain huge contributors at Old Trafford and, while Anfield's homegrown contingent included such notables as Phil Thompson, Jimmy Case and Sammy Lee, they benefited more from identifying young - sometimes cheap and unknown - players whom they schooled and improved. From Steve Heighway, Ray Clemence and Kevin Keegan through to Alan Hansen, Ian Rush, Bruce Grobbelaar, Ronnie Whelan and Steve Nicol, the list is long and distinguished.

Liverpool were prepared to spend heavily, whether on Dalglish or John Barnes and Peter Beardsley, but did so comparatively infrequently; United, from Gary Pallister, Paul Ince and Roy Keane via Dwight Yorke, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Rio Ferdinand and Juan Sebastian Veron to Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov, have done so more often.

Yet both could rely on much else besides the chequebook: a winning mentality, an environment where emerging players bloomed, a mix of youth and experience and excellent long-term planning. Despite their considerable prowess, Chelsea tick too few of the boxes and decline could be the consequence.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/884807/norman-hubbard:-chelsea-may-be-approaching-the-end-of-an-era?cc=3436

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea owner Abramovich may sell Terry in summer

27.02.11 | tribalfootball.com

John Terry could be SOLD by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in the summer.

The Sunday Mirror says Abramovich is ready to dump captain Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba as he continues his Stamford Bridge revolution.

The billionaire has begun a fresh recruitment process that will lead to the dismantling of the Blues’s ageing squad.

The £74million purchases of Fernando Torres and David Luiz in the January transfer window were brought in as direct replacements for Drogba and Terry.

And Lampard’s position is under threat with Chelsea’s global scouting network under instructions to find a younger replacement.

http://tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-owner-abramovich-may-sell-terry-summer-1476581

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:

Chelsea target Kaka or Sneijder as Lampard replacement

Published 23:00 26/02/11 By Paul Smith

Roman Abramovich is ready to dump John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba as he continues his Stamford Bridge revolution.

The billionaire has begun a fresh recruitment process that will lead to the dismantling of the Blues’s ageing squad.

The £74million purchases of Fernando Torres and David Luiz in the January transfer window were brought in as direct replacements for Drogba and Terry.

And Lampard’s position is under threat with Chelsea’s global scouting network under instructions to find a younger replacement.

Terry, Drogba and Lampard have been instrumental in bringing ­success to Chelsea.

Yet there have been worrying signs for some time that all three no ­longer have the same impact on a team they largely carried for the past five years.

All three have also struggled with injuries and illness this season.

Drogba will almost certainly be the first casualty as Chelsea look to off-load him in the summer.

And the arrival of a key midfielder will put Lampard’s position under threat next season.

Among those already being touted as his replacement are Brazilian star Kaka and Inter Milan’s Dutch ­midfielder Wesley Sneijder.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Chelsea-target-Kaka-or-Wesley-Sneijder-as-Frank-Lampard-replacement-with-John-Terry-and-Didier-Drogba-also-facing-the-chop-article707151.html#ixzz1F81NQmCG

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:

Chelsea have been in decline since Mourinho sacking - Fergie

Published 23:00 26/02/11 By Derick Allsop

Chelsea’s Premier League title challenge crumbled after the condemnation of the way the club is run.

That is the firm belief of Sir Alex Ferguson as he prepares for ­Tuesday’s showdown.

Carlo Ancelotti’s side lost their way after a rampant start to the season, leaving only United and Arsenal as realistic contenders.

Many blamed the sacking of assistant boss Ray Wilkins for destabilising Chelsea.

Fergie said: “They seemed to get a lot of criticism and maybe that affected them. It will be difficult for them to win the league now. It’s not impossible, as we experienced in 1998 when we dropped 12 points to Arsenal, and in 1996, when we came from 12 points behind Newcastle to win it.

“But at the start of the season I could never have envisaged having such a lead over ­Chelsea. We’ve found in the past seven years going to Chelsea – we haven’t beaten them.

“Jose Mourinho ­arrived and went on that incredible unbeaten record at home. It’s changed since Jose left but they’re still hard to beat at home.

“And it will still be a hard, very difficult game for both teams.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-have-been-in-decline-since-Jose-Mourinho-s-sacking-says-Manchester-United-boss-Alex-Ferguson-article707733.html#ixzz1F82TwCN8

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea manager Ancelotti “in negotiations” with Roma

Posted on Friday, 4th March 2011 by Matthew Wood

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is in negotiations with AS Roma, according to a former team mate of the Italian’s.

As reported on Clean Sheets last month, Ancelotti had been lined-up by the Serie A side as a possible replacement for Claudio Ranieri.

“I believe there are negotiations with Ancelotti and Roma already,” said Ruggiero Rizzitelli, who played in Rome with the Chelsea boss.

“The new owners are negotiating with Ancelotti.

“But, it all depends on how much money is available. If Ancelotti comes to Roma, he expects a competitive side.

“So we have to see how much cash the owners are willing to provide for him as he will need the money to bring in important players.”

Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Manchester United on Tuesday moved the Blues within 12 points of the leaders but Ancelotti is still under pressure from many circles.

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/03/chelsea-manager-ancelotti-in-negotiations-with-roma

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

I don't think it's any shock that Ancelotti will 99% be gone at the end of the season and off to Roma, unless he wins the UCL in which case Abramovich will probably not sack him.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea to Sell £25m Duo Who Are Simply Not Good Enough

Chelsea will sell Salamon Kalou and Jose Bosingwa in the summer as part of their squad overhaul, according to various press reports.

The pair have disappointed during their time at Stamford Bridge with neither able to find any consistency in their game. Kalou – an £8m arrival from Feyenoord in 2006 – has become one of the most divisive figures amongst the Stamfrod Bridge faithful with his continually frustrating performances. Capable of showing quick feet and no shortage of skill it is often the final pass or shot that lets him down encouraging a wealth of groans from the stands.
Bosingwa has been largely been a victim of circumstance. He was Luiz Felipe Scolari’s major signing when he arrives, bringing him in from FC Porto for almost £17m , and while he enjoyed initial success under the Brazilian the general team malaise that set in consumed him as well. The Portugal international was unable to take a full part in last season’s historic double-winning campaign after missing the majority of the season through injury and he has failed to recapture his old verve since returning to fitness.

With Kalou and Bosingwa linked to Galatasaray and Juventus resepctively, manager Ancelotti will hope to free up squad places for more big money arrivals, assuming he’s still in the hotseat that is.

It seems that plans are afoot at Stamford Bridge and that Carlo Ancelotti is looking to freshen things up at the faltering West London club who has sunk from Premier League winners to a side who may struggle to claim a top four spot and the Blues manager is keen to rid the club of some deadwood.

Salomon Kalou is the type of player that can infuriate supporters, on the one hand he can be a very effective attacking weapon but then just as easily disappear from view and flatter to deceive, a player who appears to work far better coming off the bench in cameo roles than he does when he starts and this summer he could well leave the club some five years after his arrival.

Jose Bosingwa’s time at the club was somewhat held back by injury that saw his spot taken by Branislav Ivanovic who is a far more balanced full back who is a more consistent performer and seemingly a player that Ancelotti prefers to the Portuguese international.

There is also some speculation that the likes of Florent Malouda, Yuri Zhirkov and even Didier Drogba may be off loaded as Chelsea make plans to add further big name signings this summer to follow on from the signings of David Luiz and Fernando Torres in January.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/03/06/chelsea-to-sell-25m-duo-who-are-simply-not-good-enough/

The Doctor
The Doctor
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Last week: The FA take no action after Ashley Cole shoots an intern, a witness claiming it left the victim "bleeding profusely".
Last month: FA fine Ryan Babel £10,000 for tweeting a joke about Howard Webb.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search