Chelsea Football Club: Supporters Thread: 2011/12 Champions League Winner!

Chelsea Football Club: Supporters Thread: 2011/12 Champions League...

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Hiddink coy on Chelsea return
ESPNsoccernet staff
June 4, 2011

Turkey manager Guus Hiddink has remained coy on his possible return to the Premier League after recent reports linked the 64-year-old to a second stint in charge of Chelsea.

Hiddink guided Turkey to a respectable 1-1 draw with Belgium in their Euro 2012 qualifier on Friday night, but remained tight-lipped over his future plans after the match.

"I hope you understand that this is difficult and I need people to respect that,' he said. "I am going on holiday now and I have a plane to catch."

"I still have a contract with Turkey but at my age when some issues come up, you always have to talk about them. At my age, most of my story is behind me."

When asked if he intended on returning to coach Turkey beyond the period of his current one-year contract, Hiddink simply added: "I can't answer that. Everything is fluid."

Hiddink coached at Stamford Bridge as caretaker manager in 2009 following the sacking of Brazilian Luis Felipe Scolari. During his four-month spell, the Dutchman won the respect of many of Chelsea's senior players, including skipper John Terry, and ultimately led the team to FA Cup glory in his final game at the helm.

But again, when pressed on the matter on Friday, Hiddink offered little.

"My time at Chelsea was a beautiful time. Everybody knows that," he said.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/94527.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Quote:
Chelsea expect to clinch Guus Hiddink as manager next week

CHELSEA expect to announce former Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink as manager at the start of next week after a breakthrough in negotiations with the Turkish Football Federation (TFF).

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has given the go-ahead for the club to offer compensation to the TFF for recruiting Hiddink, although a deal has yet to be agreed.

The TFF is demanding about $5 million in compensation for Hiddink, who is expected to become Chelsea's seventh managerial appointment in the past eight years.

Ron Gourlay, the chief executive, defended the club's approach.

"The process of getting a new coach is going very, very well," Gourlay said. "I'd expect a new coach to hopefully be in place within the next week, maybe two weeks, but maybe even earlier.

"Continuity is important, but so is performance and results. Our model may not be the model others agree with, but we've taken the decisions we felt we needed to develop Chelsea Football Club.

"We've won 10 major trophies in the last six years and are very happy with our performances on the field, which will always be our priority."

Hiddink, a former coach of the Netherlands, South Korea, Australia and Russia - as well as club sides including PSV, Valencia and Real Madrid -- led Chelsea to the FA Cup as caretaker manager in 2009.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/chelsea-expect-to-clinch-guus-hiddink-as-manager-next-week/story-e6frfg8x-1226076932090

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Modric wants Chelsea move

18 June 2011-PA Sport

Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric has told the club he wants to leave for Chelsea but says he will not present a formal transfer request.

Speculation has been rife concerning the Croatia international, with Manchester City and Manchester United reportedly joining the Blues in pursuit of the player.

But it is managerless Chelsea which appears to offer Modric the most attractive option as he would prefer to remain in the capital.

Modric does not wish to enrage Spurs fans but is equally eager to chase for silverware and intends to discuss his future when he returns from holiday, with a switch to Stamford Bridge his preferred outcome.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has repeatedly said his prized midfielder is not for sale and would be unwilling to even entertain offers of less than £30 million (A$45.7 million).

But, speaking to the Daily Mail, Modric said: "If somebody comes to the club and the offer is good for me and acceptable to them, then I want to leave.

"I want to leave Tottenham as friends. I have enjoyed my time there, but now it is right for me to look at another club.

"I have an arrangement with the chairman. When I signed my new contract, he said that, if another club came to sign me, they would consider the offer. I won't ask for a transfer, no. That would be disrespectful. I hope they can reach an agreement that is satisfactory for everyone.

"Chelsea are a big club with an ambitious owner. They have great players and they have ambitions to fight for the title and win the Champions League. I want to stay in London. I am very happy here and so are my family."

Modric said his desire for change was purely a professional one and reiterated his gratitude for Tottenham and its followers.

"I don't want to have an argument with Tottenham. The supporters have been very good to me and I have enjoyed my time playing for the club, but it is for football that players leave clubs and move," he said. "It has happened to Tottenham before. It is normal for a player to dream about playing for a bigger club."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1061245/Modric-wants-Chelsea-move

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
In brief: Chelsea to offer £30m for Modric

Saturday July 16 2011

Chelsea are not giving up on their pursuit of Spurs midfielder Luka Modric and are expected to lift their offer to £30m in the next few days, despite Tottenham's repeated insistence that the Croatian is not for sale.

In what is becoming a bitter struggle, Modric upped the stakes by handing in a transfer request earlier this week, on the day he joined the Spurs squad to fly out on a pre-season tour to South Africa. It was refused.

Spurs are becoming increasingly angry at Chelsea's persistence, having rejected their bids of £22m and £27m, and insisted they will not listen to offers for the player, who 12 months ago signed a six-year deal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/in-brief-chelsea-to-offer-30m-for-modric-2823150.html

SlyGoat36
SlyGoat36
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have Pompey TV so I can watch my lot beat Chelsea ;)
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

SlyGoat36 wrote:
I have Pompey TV so I can watch my lot beat Chelsea ;)

:evil:

Chelsea v Tottenham games always have an extra bit of spice in them.:cool:
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea 'will be European champs'

NEW Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has vowed to win a Champions League title at the first attempt.

"In the next year for sure the trophy will arrive in this club," the former Porto coach declared confidently, in shades of his compatriot Jose Mourinho, the self-proclaimed "special one" who failed to deliver club soccer's top prize for Chelsea's ambitious owner Roman Abramovich.

"Chelsea have been in a couple of semi-finals and also one final in recent times. I don’t see why we can’t go on to win it," the Portuguese told reporters as the London team arrived in Kuala Lumpur to kick off their 15-day Asia tour.

The trip will be Villas-Boas' first chance to see his players in competitive action on foreign soil and he said he will make a decision based on that whether to dip into the transfer market.

"We need to get the most information as possible (during the tour). By the time we go to the market, we will know the kind of players we want. Hopefully we can do the deal that we want," he said.

"I will use all 26 of my players in the tour and we will make a decision once the tour is over."

And despite being linked with a midfielder to replace the injured Michael Essien, Villas-Boas hinted he would give his ageing squad every chance to show their worth.

"There is plenty of talent in this squad. I believe the players can still find new things in them to exploit and I want to fully potentiate that talent," he said.

The 33-year-old said all the players will have to prove themselves to him, including 50 million pound ($76 million) star striker Fernando Torres, who only scored once in 18 appearances for the Blues after joining from Liverpool in January.

"I am not a striker. I am just trying to build on their confidence. This comes with the qualities they have. It is them who offer me ideas," he said when asked if he will change the shape of the team to suit Torres.

Providing an insight into how he handles senior players - some of whom are about the same age - Villas-Boas said: "It is the players that offer me solutions and we find a balance in between of ideas to put us on the road to success, which is what we want.

"I have to keep the standards high. Any person who sits on the manager's job at Chelsea is expected to win. I cannot run away from that."

After playing against a Malaysia XI on Thursday, the Stamford Bridge club, which has a strong following in the soccer-mad Southeast Asian country, will go to neighbouring Thailand for a match with the Thailand All Stars.

They then head to Hong Kong, where they play a friendly against Kitchee, a local team, before ending their tour against either Blackburn Rovers of Aston Villa.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soccer/chelsea-will-be-european-champs/story-e6frectc-1226097451782

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea move for teen striker Romelu Lukaku

Daily Mail From: AdelaideNow July 21, 2011

CHELSEA have lodged a bid to land teenage striking sensation Romelu Lukaku from Belgian club Anderlecht.

The club is deep in discussions over the $26 million-rated striker and have made an official offer to lure him to London.

Chelsea held talks with Anderlecht's top administrator last week and general manager Herman van Holsbeeck flew to London to try to agree a fee.

Lukaku - tipped to become the next Didier Drogba - has already underlined his eagerness to play for his boyhood idols, who are now managed by Andre Villas-Boas.

Worryingly for the Stamford Bridge side, their former manager Jose Mourinho is a known admirer of Lukaku and may still launch a late bid to lure him to Real Madrid. Mourinho is trying to recruit as many as three forwards and could yet emerge as Chelsea's rivals for the Belgium forward.

Last month Lukaku filled in a questionnaire for a young fan, at a sponsor's event in the Flemish city Hasselt, and wrote that his dream was to be a Chelsea player.

Now he appears to be on the verge of fulfilling his lifelong ambition, even if the Londoners face an anxious wait to discover whether they are successful.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soccer/chelsea-move-for-teen-striker-romelu-lukaku/story-e6frectc-1226098933400

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Terry wants Chelsea manager's job

CHELSEA captain John Terry has reiterated his desire to become manager of the club.

However, he hopes new manager Andre Villas-Boas will be around for "for a long time", reports said.

Terry, 30, said he believed the appointment of Villas-Boas showed Chelsea was willing to appoint a young manager, pointing out that he will be the same age as the 33-year-old when his contract expires.

"Obviously that's my overall aim, to become manager," Chelsea was quoted by The Daily Telegraph as saying.

"It's great for current players as well, looking at this, and bringing in Roberto Di Matteo as well, and giving chances to players who have been around the club and who know the club inside out.

"So that gives the players like myself, who have been here a long time, hope that maybe if we do our badges, then there will be roles there in the future. The club are encouraging that."

Terry, who was speaking during Chelsea's pre-season tour of Asia, however stressed he had full confidence on Villas-Boas, the former Porto manager who replaced the fired Carlo Ancelotti.

"We have spoken about managers coming and going, but I’m certain he will be around for a long time," Terry said.

"In Carlo Ancelotti's first season we thought we had that stability, but it just goes to show the thoughts and ideas of the club. It’s up to us as a group of players to achieve, and the manager to get us ready for that.

"He knows players, has positional sense and pays great attention to detail in pregame and during training. And he's very much like (Jose) Mourinho in taking it from one training session to another, which is good. He's his own man.

"I'm sure he will bring a lot to the club."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soccer/terry-wants-chelsea-managers-job/story-e6frectc-1226098941443

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea given third bite at Modric

Tottenham release reins on Croat but it will take at least £35m for creative midfielder to be prised away.

By Tim Rich in Bangkok and Paul Short
Sunday, 24 July 2011

Chelsea may be in Thailand but their eyes remain firmly on the transfer market, and they appear ready to deliver a third and final bid for Luka Modric this week after Tottenham began to show signs of relenting in their attempts to keep the unsettled midfielder.

The Blues have been encouraged by Harry Redknapp's comments before the weekend, when the Spurs manager admitted for the first time that the club might be forced to sell the Croatian international. Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, had insisted Modric was not for sale at any price and turned down offers of £22 million and £27m from Chelsea.

Spurs stayed firm even when the 25-year-old handed in a transfer request in an attempt to force a move. However, Redknapp appeared to signal a change of stance when he said the situation was a "difficult one for Luka and a difficult one for Spurs". He stressed he wanted to keep Modric but "it wasn't his decision at the end of the day" so "we'll have to wait and see".

Redknapp said he felt Modric was worth an "awful" lot more than £35m – but that has been interpreted as merely a figure to start with by Chelsea, although they are believed to be reluctant to go any higher.

One piece of business they have completed is the signing of Oriol Romeu from Barcelona, a deal that is likely to dampen the club's desire to take Scott Parker back to Stamford Bridge. Unlike the new manager Andre Villas-Boas's other signing, the goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who will be loaned out to AtleticoMadrid, Romeu will be part of Chelsea's first-team squad.

Since Romeu played in roughly the same position for Barcelona B as Parker did for West Ham, the pressure to bring in last season's Footballer of the Year as a short-term replacement for the injured Michael Essien has decreased. West Ham are said to want a £4m loan fee for their captain, although Parker is thought to want a permanent transfer to the club where he failed to settle in his one season under Jose Mourinho.

Villas-Boas said central midfield was "a sector where Chelsea are struggling with numbers, and not only after Michael's injury,and we wanted to bring in players in those positions". He added: "Romeu wants to prove himself as a player. Barce-lona B had a magnificent season in the Spanish Second Division, finishing third. Oriol went through an injury but came back to play for the first team and he is oneof the most promisingplayers in the No 6 position, as we like to call it."

Villas-Boas is already showing signs of fixing his gaze on Manchester United, yesterday claiming there was no significant gap between his squad in Thailand and Ferguson's, who are ploughing through a coast-to-coast tour of America.

"You have to recall that Chelsea went to United in May with a great chance to shorten a distance that, in the end, became nine points. It was down to one game and, in one game, everything can happen," he said.

"It went United's way and could have gone Chelsea's way. You also have to recall that, during that last part of the season, Chelsea came back with an extremely good recovery in terms of shortening that points distance, with a possibility to close the gap on Manchester United.

"The distance opened up again in the last three games. But this club had an opportunity. It shows how competitive we can be. Clubs have to spend what they have to spend. United have seen some players choose to end their career, and they've reinforced those sectors. We will decide what sectors we need to reinforce later."

Since his arrival from Porto, Villas-Boas has been insistent big transfers would have to wait until he has assessed his squad. Rushing into the market carried too many risks. You could say the same about waiting until August. Phil Jones, Ashley Young and David de Gea are being bedded in now. Mourinho's Chelsea were adept at making racing starts to their seasons, turning the Premier League from a marathon to a long-distance sprint. That is more difficult when you are still fine-tuning your team.

"You have to remember that in January we put a lot of money in," said Villas-Boas, though it is questions about Fernando Torres that have caused him most irritation. Roman Abramovich did release almost £80m to secure David Luiz and Torres; it was not enough to save Carlo Ancelotti's regime but it may have limited his successor's room for manoeuvre.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-given-third-bite-at-modric-2319479.html

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea owner Abramovich dumps plans to leave Stamford Bridge - for now

Posted On Sunday, 24th July 2011 Chelsea

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has dumped plans to quit Stamford Bridge.

The Daily Star Sunday says Abramovich and his executives were exploring the option of moving out of their home of the past 106 years to a new arena in nearby Earls Court.

But the land on which the Earls Court exhibition centre stands is set to become a housing estate. More than 8,000 homes will be built there once the Olympics have ended next summer.

It means it looks like Chelsea have lost the chance to build a new ground in west London – but they could still move further afield.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/chelsea-owner-abramovich-dumps-plans-to-leave-stamford-bridge-for-now/

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
New Chelsea boss is not the new Tinkerman

Chelsea - Andre Villas-Boas knows how to get the best out of his players
By Paul Bailey July 28, 2011

We are just happy to see that the players are able to play in various positions

Andre Villas-Boas has expressed his satisfaction at the versatility shown by his players during pre-season, and believes their ability to play in a variety of different positions will be a huge benefit to Chelsea in the forthcoming campaign.

Fresh from Wednesday's 4-0 friendly victory over Kitchee in Hong Kong, Villas-Boas opted to deploy his team in an unfamiliar 4-2-3-1 formation, and he couldn't hide his delight at how they responded to the change in set-up.

"Their capacity to absorb new ideas and exploit the talent within themselves is very good, and some of them are doing it away from their natural positions," he said. "It is good to see the players are enjoying their games.

"The players' talent allows us to do this and it is also good for them to be challenged to play different ways. [But] the most important thing for us is to see that the players get enjoyment out of what they are doing."

During his short tenure so far, Villas-Boas is already making a name for himself as something of a 'tinker man' - the label given to former Chelsea favourite Claudio Ranieri.

But the 33-year-old defended his tactical approach, and said that the fluid nature of the Blues line-up is something that can, and will be applied both domestically and in Europe in order to enhance the performance of the collective group.

"We need these different kind of structures for the Premier League and it is not impossible that on Saturday we try another formation with two strikers," he continued. "But is not because you put another striker in attack that you become more attacking.

"It comes down to the dynamic of the team. We are just happy to see that the players are able to play in various positions."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/new-chelsea-boss-is-not-the-new-tinkerman

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea expect announcement on £40m playmaker

By Marco Bianchi, on 29th July 2011, 09:04 UTC

Chelsea could learn today whether or not they have won the race for highly-rated Palermo midfielder Javier Pastore.

The Serie A club are expected to announce today where the Argentine star will ply his trade next season after both the Blues and Paris St Germain tabled £40m offers for the youngster.

At the moment we are waiting and will make a decision in the next few days, after tomorrow's Europa League game against Thun, Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini told RMC radio.

We have received interesting offers from Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea.

Qatari-backed PSG director Leonardo has admitted that they would be very interested in bringing the 22-year-old to Ligue 1.

It's true, I have a good rapport with Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini and everyone would like a player like Pastore, confessed Leonardo.

We are working on possibilities and want to bring players who above all believe in our project.

At the moment our priority is to sign a new goalkeeper, as we are missing someone in that role.

Chelsea executive Ron Gourlay previously announced that the Blues expected to make two signings within the next week, with either Birminghams Scott Dann or Boltons Gary Cahill the other possible signing.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/chelsea-expect-announcement-on-40m-playmaker-163/

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
New Chelsea boss looks to youth
by Alex Frew McMillan
36 minutes ago

HONG KONG (AFP) - New Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas says he is looking to the club's teenagers to make the leap to the first team this season as he looks to rejuvenate his ageing squad.

The former Porto manager singled out 18-year-old midfielder Josh McEachran, 16-year-old centre back Nathaniel Chalobah and 17-year-old goalkeeper Jamal Blackman as candidates to move up from Chelsea's youth development scheme.

"For all these young boys, the biggest step they have to do as they finish their reserve-team time is to make the step to the first team," Villas-Boas said.

"We can look into the future with a couple of them making the step straight into the first team without having to go out on loan."

The 33-year-old Portuguese manager is faced with the task of bringing fresh blood into one of the oldest squads in the English top flight, after his own transfer last month.

"The squad is one of the oldest in the premiership," Villas-Boas said.

"We respect them and are happy enough with the quality that we have to challenge for the title. But we are also looking in the future."

McEachran in particular seems to have a solid future ahead of him, having featured in all three of Chelsea's pre-season matches in Asia so far.

Villas-Boas said he will play again on Saturday, when Chelsea take on Aston Villa in the final of the Barclays Asia Trophy.

McEachran prefers the attacking midfield role that Frank Lampard has made his own, but he has vowed to fight for a place in the squad, wherever that may be.

"I prefer playing higher up but if Andre sees me as deeper I'll be happy to be there—I just want to play," McEachran said.

"I just want to get more minutes this year, whether it's out on loan—but obviously I want to stay at Chelsea."

The Oxford-born player, who made his Chelsea debut at the start of last season, says he felt intimidated when he first broke into the team but now feels comfortable in the side.

Chelsea have said they will add two more players before the season starts. Tottenham playmaker Luka Modric and Palermo midfielder Javier Pastore have both been linked with moves to Stamford Bridge.

"The players we have shown interest in are also of a young age," Villas-Boas said. "So they are also looking into the future of this club. You might see similar moves in the future from us."

With two weeks to go until the start of the Premier League season, Villas-Boas is still working out what his strongest line-up will be. He says he will only make the final call on his first team for the match at Stoke after the final two matches of the pre-season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=afp-fblasiaengprchelsea

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Hiddink urges patience

By PA Sport July 30, 2011

Former Chelsea coach Guus Hiddink thinks owner Roman Abramovic should follow Manchester United's example and give his manager time to establish himself at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues have had seven different managers since Abramovic took over the club in 2003, including Hiddink as a caretaker coach in 2009 following the dismissal of Luiz Felipe Scolari. Andre Villa-Boas is the latest man to be handed the reins, with the Portuguese replacing Carlo Ancelotti over the summer.

"If you look at Manchester United, they are the example that clubs need stability," the Dutchman was quoted as saying in several English newspapers.

"This is what Chelsea need as well. I have told Roman that and I think they are convinced as well now.

"Look at the record of Carlo, he won the double. Of course, if you win the double and you go it is harsh. Carlo did well for the last two years but, hopefully, this decision will bring success as well."

Hiddink is also confident Villa-Boas can overcome his youth and inexperience to make his mark at Chelsea.

"It is a very young age for Villas-Boas to be Chelsea's manager, but he has already proved at Porto he is good," Hiddink said.

"It depends on the quality of the manager and how he deals with senior players. Age does not have to mean the players consider him as a brother.

"If they feel he is straightforward and has integrity, he will be fine."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/hiddink-urges-patience

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea manager André Villas-Boas has squad's respect, says John Terry

David Hytner
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 11 August 2011 22.30 BST Article history

John Terry came within touching distance of the Premier League trophy at a sponsors' event in London on Thursday morning and felt another stab of the pain that has accompanied him since the end of last season. "Seeing the trophy without the blue-and-white ribbons on ... it hurts, it really does," the Chelsea captain said. "Hurt is the only way I can describe it."

The central defender will not want for motivation when he begins the quest to wrest the title back from Manchester United and his image as the ultimate competitor felt reinforced. He spoke of wanting to win at simply everything, from five-a-side sessions to training-ground swims. Yet it was a different kind of perception that Terry found himself forced to address, as the excitement built ahead of Chelsea's opening fixture of the season at Stoke City on Sunday, which will represent the first test for the new manager, André Villas-Boas.

The popular theory goes that Terry and a seasoned cartel of players who thrived under the former manager, José Mourinho, run more than just the dressing room at Stamford Bridge. The influence of Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Petr Cech and Ashley Cole reaches across the club – up, even, to the owner, Roman Abramovich – and Villas-Boas, aged 33, will struggle to assert himself, particularly when results go badly.

Moreover, as Villas-Boas worked as a relatively humble opposition scout under Mourinho at Chelsea, his return at an elevated level is sure to feel incongruous to Terry and Co and is potentially problematic. Terry, though, dismissed those concerns, as he banged the drum for unconditional loyalty. "People think that about the club ... that a lot of us are strong and we've got too much input," he said. "I can honestly say that's not the case and, certainly, it hasn't been for the last four or five years.

"What you will get from the likes of myself, Lamps, Didier, Petr and Ash is that we'll be committed and we'll be making sure that everyone follows and listens to what he's saying. I think he knows that. He had this respect from us before, anyway. His age is not a problem at all.

"I also know there's this feeling out there that players like myself, Lamps and Didier, the players that have been there for a long time, take our places in the team for granted but it's the complete opposite. We are the ones, day in day out, who are digging in deep, getting everyone together and making sure we are setting the right example."

Terry has been impressed with Villas-Boas's conviction and his powers as a persuasive orator and has noted how the Portuguese worked on team shape from the outset, rather than pure pre-season fitness work, and how he has drilled the players to "press more and higher up the pitch".

Terry mentioned "certain things where you think that is very Mourinho-esque" and, although the comparisons were "a bit unfair to him", some of the similarities pointed towards that necessary authority. "We had a good relationship with José but there were days when you wouldn't have gone near him," Terry said. "And that's honestly the same [with Villas-Boas]."

Chelsea went unbeaten through pre-season and Terry senses optimism about the team's prospects, which would only swell with the "one or two" signings that he expects to see. The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Luka Modric is prominent on the list of targets. "Modric is a great player," Terry said, "so, whether it's us or another team, he would certainly make any team stronger.

"I think we are stronger than we were 12 months ago. Naturally Nando [Fernando Torres] was going to take a while to settle in and we're all hoping he can hit the ground running. Yossi [Benayoun] was injured last year but he's looked very good in pre-season and so if he stays, he could be a great player for us as well. André feels that we're in the position now where he wants us to be."

Torres, though, has mild concussion and is a doubt for the Stoke match.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/11/chelsea-villas-boas-john-terry

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Premier League preview: Chelsea

André Villas-Boas knows he is under pressure at Stamford Bridge

Amy Lawrence and Paul Doyle discuss Chelsea's prospects for next season. Link to this video Guardian writers' prediction: 3rd (This is not Dominic Fifield's prediction, but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: 2nd

Odds to win the league: 5-2

It was Marcel Desailly who summed up the task awaiting André Villas-Boas most succinctly. "All the pressure is on the shoulders of the coach," said the former Chelsea captain. "It's all up to him." The Portuguese, at 33, returned to Stamford Bridge this summer with only 20 months of managerial experience behind him, charged with succeeding where it had been deemed a recent Double-winning coach had failed. It says much for Villas-Boas's innate self-belief that he has plunged himself into his new role with relish.

The rookie with the record – the Europa League, the domestic league title at a canter and a Portuguese Cup were all claimed in his solitary campaign at Porto – will not escape the focus as Chelsea's Premier League campaign begins, but the pressure associated with his new role will be embraced. Villas-Boas, a manager who has soaked up knowledge imparted by Sir Bobby Robson, Pep Guardiola and José Mourinho, has only ever been successful. He has never tasted anything else. He may preach the power of the collective, but his is an entrenched belief that his own footballing philosophy can revive this team.

In truth, it has to. Villas-Boas is the single factor at present upon which Chelsea can pin their hopes of transforming last season's relative underachievers into title winners and European contenders again. The club will attempt to be active in the transfer market before the end of the month, and much may depend upon the success of their pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur's playmaker Luka Modric, but, at present, this is a playing staff that is settled and familiar. Short-termism in the dugout has led to virtual inertia when it comes to overhauling the squad. They will essentially rely on the same names, trying to tap into the same strengths, but are therefore also susceptible to the same weaknesses.

These players have earned lofty reputations, but they are also a group who have claimed the Premier League only once since Mourinho's second campaign at the club, and who rather faded as challengers for the Champions League under Carlo Ancelotti. Last term's dismal mid-season slump came as a profound shock, with the Italian never recovering from his inability to arrest the decline until the real damage had been done. Roman Abramovich does not put up with failure, and the management's rather perplexed reaction to the crisis was never likely to be tolerated. Elimination from Europe merely sealed Ancelotti's fate.

Those same players remain, which makes concerns over a repeat inevitable. Logic suggested this summer was an opportunity to revamp, that the new manager might seek to restructure and refresh. Instead, he has chosen to maintain the faith or, perhaps more realistically, recognised the practicalities which hamper Chelsea's attempts to reinvent. Senior players are on considerable wages, limiting the number of suitors capable of luring them away.

Anzhi Makhachkala taking Yuri Zhirkov back to Russia is the exception – he will be returning home to a money-flushed club able to pay his wages. Others, like José Bosingwa and Paulo Ferreira, cannot be moved on. Nicolas Anelka, too, has opted to see out the final year of his contract and leave for nothing next summer rather than transferring now. The Premier League's 25-man squad rule, and a reluctance to stockpile players who cannot be utilised, has set the club's policy: the lavish spending, to date, was limited to January.

Yet Villas-Boas returned from the club's four-match tour of the far east this week glowing at the quality already at his disposal. His satisfaction was not an act. There had been visible signs of progress through those distant pre-season preparations, with players growing both in terms of physical fitness – which would be expected – and in assuredness at the systems and style the management wish to pursue. They spoke of feeling "liberated", revelling in training sessions that concentrated more on ballwork aimed at promoting a fluid, attacking approach on the pitch. These are simple principles and they will be tested in the Premier League, particularly if injuries bite as they did last year, but Villas-Boas and his staff believe they hit upon a balance at Porto that can be implemented in London to eke out something extra.

The tour provided evidence that his techniques, combined with the players' desire to impress, are working. Pre-season only offers hints for what lies ahead, but there was plenty to encourage. Didier Drogba was at his brutish best. Frank Lampard adapted well to the right-sided role in a narrow midfield he might have to occupy if Modric is signed, and even to deeper-lying duties. Branislav Ivanovic appeared a natural partner for John Terry at centre-half, all power on the turf and aggression in the air. Yossi Benayoun offered subtlety and creation, qualities missing for long periods last season. Florent Malouda rediscovered the menace and whip in his delivery. Even Fernando Torres managed a goal and flashes of his old Liverpool self in the Barclays Asia Trophy final victory over Aston Villa. If those seniors maintain form and fitness, Chelsea can still flourish.

The team has flitted smoothly through variations in systems and tactics, from a conventional 4-3-3 to a diamond midfield and even a 4-2-3-1, which should suit Torres most of all. Then there has been the considerable impact of the squad's younger talents, most notably Josh McEachran in midfield and Daniel Sturridge up front. Villas-Boas has high hopes, too, for the teenager Oriol Romeu, en route from Barcelona B, who he sees as capable of thriving in the defensive midfield berth. The Spaniard could potentially move the ball on quicker than Mikel John Obi to maintain an upbeat tempo. Michael Essien's long-term knee injury is a blow, but throw in both Ramires and David Luiz, neither of whom were present in Asia but are both capable of sitting effectively at the base of midfield if required, and there are options for the Portuguese to pursue.

The addition of a playmaker could yet be key, and the catalyst to Torres justifying his value in the months ahead, and coaxing performances from the Spaniard will be essential if Villas-Boas's tenure is to be judged successful. On one level, this club simply cannot afford to endure the embarrassment of being saddled with another Andriy Shevchenko – Torres, at 27 and already used to the rigours of the Premier League, should not suffer the same fate – but, on another, if the World Cup winner performs then Chelsea boast a weapon few can rival. Villas-Boas can simply add that to his list of issues to address but, as a manager who has never endured failure, he will not be daunted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/02/premier-league-preview-chelsea

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

[youtube]vTNkZfPDEPs[/youtube]

Torres is apparently fit for the Stoke clash, but I'd expect Drogba to start

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Yeah Drogba is still the man and has been tearing it up in the offseason, hopefully Frankie Lampard is back to his best.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Also, Lukaku is bigger than Drogba. Fark me I hope he's good

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Premier League trophy without blue and white ribbons on it hurts John Terry

Oliver Kay From: The Australian August 13, 2011

JOHN Terry is stuck in a nightmare. In it, he walks into a room full of television cameras, takes his place on a stage and sees the Premier League trophy staring back at him, decked in the red and white of Manchester United.

The trophy followed him to Hong Kong, where Chelsea took part in the Asia Trophy last month, and it was there again on Thursday at the Landmark Hotel in London as he attended the official launch of the new Premier League campaign.

"Even walking into the room and seeing it there without the blue and white ribbons on, it hurts, it really does," the Chelsea and England captain said.

Terry should be used to it by now. United has won the Premier League in four of the past five seasons. At Stamford Bridge, where Chelsea thought it was embarking on a golden era of its own, the sense of hurt is raw.

Chelsea was the only team to stop United winning the league in that spell, in 2009-10. Not good enough, Terry says. Tomorrow night (AEST) it will embark on its latest campaign away to Stoke City, a potentially perilous start for Andre Villas-Boas, its fifth new manager in less than four years since the departure of Jose Mourinho.

Villas-Boas is 33, barely three years older than his captain. Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba are also 33, only months younger than their Portuguese manager.

There are so many Chelsea players in their late twenties and early thirties, most of them having won an awful lot more in their careers than Villas-Boas has in two years as coach of Academica and Porto. Suddenly, the question is not whether Chelsea's squad is too old, but whether the new manager, who was a trusted but peripheral member of the backroom staff during Mourinho's tenure, is too young to command their respect.

"People think that about the club, that a lot of us (players) are too strong and have got too much input, but that's not the case," Terry said. "What you do get from the likes of myself, Frank, Didier, Petr (Cech), Ashley (Cole) and people like that is commitment. We'll be making sure that everyone listens to what the manager is saying.

"I think he (Villas-Boas) knows that. He had this respect from us before, anyway. A lot of lads kept in contact with him when he was at Inter (Milan, under Mourinho) and at Porto."

Respect for his latest new manager does not preclude Terry from having _ and expressing _ an opinion about the best way forward tactically. He advocates the same 4-3-3 formation that Villas-Boas favours, but he says so with an awkward acknowledgment of the conundrum over whether Drogba or Fernando Torres should be the main striker. "If it's 4-3-3, that proves difficult for them both to play," Terry says.

Tactical flexibility is one thing Chelsea has lacked in recent seasons, but another failing has been a tendency to allow a rot to set in when results go against it. It won only twice in 11 league games under Carlo Ancelotti midway through last season.

The job for Villas-Boas, the young manager, is to show that there is life in the old dogs yet. If Terry is anything to go by, they are straining at the leash.

THE TIMES

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/premier-league-trophy-without-blue-and-white-ribbons-on-it-hurts-john-terry/story-fn63e0vj-1226114066139

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
DROGBA STILL IN CHELSEA TALKS

Didier Drogba wants to finish his career at Chelsea, saying contract talks are ongoing.

Last Updated: 14/08/11 at 12:25

Andre Villas-Boas says Chelsea will try to buy at least a midfielder and winger this month.

Didier Drogba is adamant he wants to finish his career at Chelsea and says negotiations over a new contract at Stamford Bridge are ongoing.

The Ivory Coast striker is in the final year of his contract in West London and the Blues are thought to have offered him a 12-month extension on his deal.

However, 33-year-old Drogba is believed to want two more years, with a view to hanging up his boots at the Premier League club.

Uncertainty has surrounded his future since the £50million arrival of Fernando Torres from Liverpool in January, with the hitman no longer guaranteed a starting spot in manager Andre Villas-Boas' line-up.

But Drogba maintains he is going nowhere while he is still under contract, and hopes the situation will be resolved.

He told the Sunday Mirror: "I said a few years ago that I will be here until the end of my contract. But I would like to finish my career here. We are continuing talks.

"Everybody knows what I feel about Chelsea and what I want."

Villas-Boas says the situation is still up in the air, adding: "He knows our offer and he has made a counter offer.

"We are now waiting on things."

http://www.football365.com/transfer-centre/7100883/DROGBA-STILL-IN-CHELSEA-TALKS

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea ready to offload Malouda as they make Pereira move

By talkSPORT
Wednesday, August 24

Chelsea winger Florent Malouda is wanted by Juventus - with Andre Villas-Boas ready to let the Frenchman leave if he manages to land Alvaro Pereira from Porto.

Villas-Boas left Malouda out of his starting line-up for Chelsea's first home game of the season but he brought him on in the firsthalf - and was rewarded as Malouda netted the winner against West Brom.

But the arrival of Juan Mata and Villas-Boas' interest in Pereira has cast doubt over Malouda's long-term future and Juventus are watching developments with interest.
Juventus manager Antonio Conte was met with a swift rejection when he enquired about Manchester United's Nani earlier this summer but he remains eager to add some flair to his side's options on the wings.

And Conte has now turned his attentions to Malouda - with sources in Italy suggesting Villas-Boas is open to selling the 31-year-old as he looks to freshen up his side.
Villas-Boas worked with Pereira at Porto and is keen to speak to his old club regarding a possible move for him and that would pave the way for Malouda's move to Italy.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1017/40/chelsea-ready-offload-malouda-they-make-pereira-move

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
John Terry: I want to join the 100 club

By ROB BEASLEY

Published: Today

JOHN TERRY may have hit 30 and his 6ft 2in body shows the scars inflicted during a fearless 13-year career in football's frontline.

But as the England captain prepares to lead his country out against Bulgaria on Friday he is still taking no prisoners.

Especially when asked if he is considered international retirement.

His eyes flash, his pulse races and his passion for his country just pours out.

Terry insisted: "I love playing for my country. I see it as the biggest privilege of my career so there's no way I'm going to volunteer to give that up.

"I want to go on for a good few years yet, for as long as I can.

"Put it this way, I've got 68 caps and I'd love to think I could get 100.

"There's not many players who've done that so it would be some achievement and it's definitely a goal.

"That's not to say I haven't looked over my shoulder to look at those challenging for my England place.

"I know there's some very good players who want my England shirt. Michael Dawson, Joleon Lescott, Ledley King, Gary Cahill and Phil Jagielka for starters.

"And then there's the youngsters bubbling through like Phil Jones and Chris Smalling.

"I know I need to train hard and play well to keep my place.

"But I'm a realist too and one day I won't be required — but that responsibility is on my shoulders and I will work as hard as I can to put that day off for as long as I can."

Terry's desire and drive to stay involved is as strong now as when he first broke into the big time.

He explained: "When I was younger at Chelsea I got injured and William Gallas and Marcel Desailly played instead.

"I had to knuckle down, work hard and fight for my place. I just battled hard to break back into the team and I've been there ever since.

"I'm the same with England, because representing my country is still such an honour.

"I know there are some players who reach their 30s and announce their international retirement. I totally understand and respect their decisions. We are away a lot and for long spells. You miss your family and friends but with things like skype you can keep in touch.

"And although it's hard, we're doing one of the most privileged jobs in the world.

"I know it's not going to last forever and I want to know at the end of my career I've done everything I possibly can."

Terry's commitment to the cause even extends to championing the idea that friendlies should see some of the country's top stars rested to allow Fabio Capello's exciting crop of youngsters to stake their claim for international stardom.

One such opportunity was lost when the game with Holland was postponed because of the London riots earlier this month.

Terry added: "We all understood why it had to be called off. It was definitely the right decision.

"But, as a player, it was disappointing because we lost the chance to test ourselves against the World Cup finalists.

"Just as importantly we lost the chance to experiment with some of the younger lads.

"I have been so impressed with the way the likes of Jack Wilshere, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley have come into the squad and oozed confidence and ambition.

"I wasn't that confident when I was first called up so it would have been good to see how they fitted in.

"Perhaps we could rest some senior players to keep them fresh and have a look at the back-ups."

But while Terry likes the idea, he will not be leading by example.

He said: "I don't think any player would want to stand down but sometimes you need to be told to let the youngsters have a go.

"It's a good idea but I won't be putting my hand up. I know how hard it was to get this shirt and I don't want to give it up to anyone."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3781945/John-Terry-I-want-to-join-the-100-club.html

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Fernando Torres: Chelsea midfielders too slow

FERNANDO TORRES has slammed Chelsea's midfielders as being "old and slow".

The Spain striker has hit just one goal for club and country since a £50million move from Liverpool in January.

He said: "When I changed clubs, I knew it was going to be a slow process, although I didn't expect it to be so long.

"Chelsea is, between the English teams, maybe the least English.

"That's because of the kind of player Chelsea has — an older player, who plays very slow, who has a lot of possession — and that's what the club is trying to change now."

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas signed Torres' mate Juan Mata from Valencia for £26m in an attempt to get the best out of the misfiring frontman.

Torres added: "It's not easy to find midfielders because the best ones are already in the best teams.

"But the arrival of Mata is going to give another pace to the team.

"Daniel Sturridge, who has been ruled out for a while, is also an incredible player — maybe the one that has surprised me the most since I came here.

"In the next matches, you will see another pace and I hope the midfield will adapt to that pace.

"That is what you need in the Premier League. If not, then the teams do not work."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3806330/Fernando-Torres-Chelsea-midfielders-too-slow.html

imnofreak
imnofreak
Legend
Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)Legend (36K reputation)

:lol: Torres.

And I read Del Bosque warning him that he'll get dropped if he doesn't start scoring.

I love it. :D
BusbyBabe
BusbyBabe
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

i have a sick feeling he will catch fire against United when we play them next week. I had that feeling last year in the title decider but he is getting closer to scoring and I fear it will be us who cops it.

Long may it continue though.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Villas-Boas sees improvement

VERY HAPPY ... Chelsea boss feels his side's play has stepped up a gear

By BECI WOOD

CHELSEA boss Andre Villas-Boas was delighted after the Blues turned in their best performance of the season.

Goals from John Terry and Daniel Sturridge helped Chelsea on their way to a convincing 2-1 victory over Steve Bruce's Sunderland at The Stadium Of Light.

And the Portuguese manager felt the team's hard-work in training is finally translating onto the pitch.

Villas-Boas said: "Today, it went very well for us in terms of what we want to achieve, not that we haven't tried to do it before, but it just didn't happen in the other three games.

"Fortunately, today we were able to play the passing game that relates more to how we train, and the team played very, very well. I am very happy with the display.

"The 2-1, of course, is avoidable and that brought an edge to the last three minutes, but we can only say that Chelsea deserved to win and we were very consistent in the first and second halves.

"I am very happy with the efforts of everybody."

He then swiftly turned his attention to their Champions League opening group stage match on Tuesday

The Blues will head into the home tie against German side Bayer Leverkusen having enjoyed an unbeaten start to the new campaign.

Villas-Boas' predecessors, of course, have failed to lift the trophy coveted by owner Roman Abramovich and paid with their jobs, but he insists that does not increase the weight on his shoulders.

He said: "I just have to focus on what the owner has told me. One of his obsessions is to play well, and that's what we try to do.

"Of course, we have to add the trophies to the playing well situation, and that's our main focus as a top team, there's nothing new in that.

"If you take the European trophy, of course it is a dream to everybody, but it's the most difficult trophy to win when you see the level of the other European teams as they are and it's going to be a massive challenge again.

"We just have to go step by step on it. We have two days to rest only before the Leverkusen game with Bayer having one day extra to rest, and we have to focus on getting the first three points before going to Valencia."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3807390/Villas-Boas-sees-improvement.html

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Chelsea FC: Fernando Torres's Days at Stamford Bridge Are Numbered

By Jennifer Juneau(Contributor) on September 11, 2011

In a bold statement the other day, Fernando Torres claimed he is unable to deliver on the pitch because he is surrounded by aging players who are too slow to allay his scoring quandary.

No doubt his desperate outburst was spurred by Fabio Capello’s claim to the Guardian and the Daily Mail respectively that he (Capello) “decides that England’s weak-minded players have to go” and that he “backs England kids to shed baggage of World Cup” (namely Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and John Terry.)

But the finger should point to Chelsea’s No. 9, not England’s senior players at Stamford Bridge. Terry might be aging but at least he’s scoring.

And if slow-paced, ball-hogging players were in question, why didn’t they prohibit Drogba, Anelka and Malouda from scoring?

Past exclamations rested on managers and adjustments with new teammates.

Needless to say, if you dump all of Torres’s excuses in a sieve and shake it, what you’ll end up with is one ex-Liverpool ace.

Del Bosque can’t even save him.

No longer is the striker’s drought excoriated by the Spain manager, as he already dropped Torres from the national squad for the Euro 2012 qualifying match against Liechtenstein.

Torres was left out of the Spain squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Liechtenstein.
What was going through Del Bosque’s head should be taken seriously, as Liechtenstein didn’t pose any threat (Torres-less Spain won 6-0 and sealed their place in the Euro.)

And it’s unlikely there is any relief looming over the goal line’s horizon, as according to Mail Online, Del Bosque said “the people selected for the national team are those who do well for their clubs…” Well that's not Torres, then.

If that’s the case, perhaps Torres should return to his native Spain, as most of his Spain teammates play at Barcelona and Real Madrid.

If writing off Torres seems premature, one must define premature. What’s worse is that his performance isn’t considered spotty anymore—it’s consistently poor.

Time is like water, and as the weeks flow Torres continues to drown. Considering his dilemma, how long does it take before premature turns to too late?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/844437-chelsea-fc-fernando-torress-days-at-stamford-bridge-are-numbered

Heartinator
Heartinator
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Maybe we should sell him before his value drops even more...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search