Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Gayfish - 21 Jan 2017 11:10 AM
TheSelectFew - 21 Jan 2017 9:08 AM

So many comments now so I cant remember the exact words but along the lines of finding his family and bringing the same pain that he has done to his but with obvious harsher language. Cant blame them but need to be careful as the Police are most likely reading the comments. 

You probably could get 5 years for saying naughty words on the internet.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 21 Jan 2017 9:08 AM

So many comments now so I cant remember the exact words but along the lines of finding his family and bringing the same pain that he has done to his but with obvious harsher language. Cant blame them but need to be careful as the Police are most likely reading the comments. 

Yeah thats why I was hoping you could fill us in. A solid 3.1k of death threats and hates. Love it.

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 21 Jan 2017 2:30 PM

You probably could get 5 years for saying naughty words on the internet.

Not sure to be honest, I think police have called for people to stop commentating on the page as it works against them in the case. The lawyers could say they wont get a fair trial etc
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 21 Jan 2017 2:33 PM

Yeah thats why I was hoping you could fill us in. A solid 3.1k of death threats and hates. Love it.

Hope on every now and then, the comments just keep on coming. Friend list gradually depleting.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

1 less between when I posted and you posted. hahaha

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

kavorka - 21 Jan 2017 8:42 AM
I work near the area where it happened. I tell you what, when all the investigation is done and dusted, Vic Police will have ALOT to answer for this.

1. He was free on bail when has a long history of violence (he was released on bail against the police's advice). ok so not Vicpol's fault here
2. he was on the loose for 11 hrs after stabbing his brother, criss crossing the city
3. they backed off on the police pursuit when he was heading towards the city (not good enough)
4. watching idly as he is doing burnouts on flinders st (where were the police? why didn't they shoot the tires or ram the car?)

As a worker, I find that with so many homeless and mentally unstable, drug addicted menacing people roaming the cbd these days (believe me I have seen it all), that there is little to zero police presence.

FFS wouldn't you have at least heavy police presence at one of the city's most important landmarks and potential terrorist target (ie flinders st station)?

For me personally, I am amazed it has taken so long for something like this to happen. Such a tragic loss of life that could have been avoided.

This is what happens when you make stupid laws that defy logic. 

Police are not allowed to chase him. I remember a case in QLD not too long ago (maybe 2015) where Police were found to be at fault for continuing a chase and causing a drug affected person to crash their car. This is the kind of shit the police have to deal with.

Police would also be severely reprimanded for discharging a firearm in such a densely populated area of the city. 

I'm not a cop but I know a few and i've heard the stories about how badly their hands are tied in cases like this where it appears common sense doesn't exist. But remember, those who ultimately make serious decisions don't live in the same world as us. 

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Gayfish - 21 Jan 2017 2:33 PM
TheSelectFew - 21 Jan 2017 2:30 PM

Not sure to be honest, I think police have called for people to stop commentating on the page as it works against them in the case. The lawyers could say they wont get a fair trial etc

What could he possibly say to get out of a trial. There are lightly hundreds of CCTV videos of him driving over people. 

This is why we need the death penalty. 
kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

BETHFC - 21 Jan 2017 5:50 PM
kavorka - 21 Jan 2017 8:42 AM

This is what happens when you make stupid laws that defy logic. 

Police are not allowed to chase him. I remember a case in QLD not too long ago (maybe 2015) where Police were found to be at fault for continuing a chase and causing a drug affected person to crash their car. This is the kind of shit the police have to deal with.

Police would also be severely reprimanded for discharging a firearm in such a densely populated area of the city. 

I'm not a cop but I know a few and i've heard the stories about how badly their hands are tied in cases like this where it appears common sense doesn't exist. But remember, those who ultimately make serious decisions don't live in the same world as us. 

true...had this been 20 years ago, before the existence of camera phones and social media etc that car would have been sprayed with bullet holes, and the mess cleaned up before anyone was none the wiser.
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro

kavorka - 22 Jan 2017 7:18 AM

true...had this been 20 years ago, before the existence of camera phones and social media etc that car would have been sprayed with bullet holes, and the mess cleaned up before anyone was none the wiser.

The real scum is the judges and the justice system, not the Police, like Bethfc said the cops hands are tied behind their backs behind politcs coming from the top who are out of touch and only care about themselves.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

No, because what happens when the Police miss the moving car and hit the innocent bystanders?

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

433 - 22 Jan 2017 4:39 PM

No, because what happens when the Police miss the moving car and hit the innocent bystanders?

This. The cops can't "just" shoot a suspect in a moving vehicle with a crowd of people all around. That's just asking for mass casualties and a class action lawsuit.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Absolutely no chance the cops are going to shoot in that situation, and certainty not to shoot the tyres out - that's the fantasy stuff of 80's action movies.
RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Aljay - 22 Jan 2017 8:09 PM
Absolutely no chance the cops are going to shoot in that situation, and certainty not to shoot the tyres out - that's the fantasy stuff of 80's action movies.

You should read the comments from idiots on social media, so many morons actually expect this to happen, they are living in a dream world. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by FunkMasterFlex
JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Such empathy from our own Dr Evil...

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/01/20/15/41/leyonhjelm-defends-controversial-tweet

Crossbench senator David Leyonhjelm has defended using a deadly incident in Melbourne to make a statement about guns.

Four people are dead and at least 20 have been injured after a rogue car ploughed into pedestrians in Melbourne's Bourke St Mall on Friday afternoon.

Four children, including a three-week-old baby and two-year-old were among the injured. A mangled wreckage of a pram found at the scene, with a section of it coming to rest on the car.

The Liberal Democrat, an outspoken supporter of gun owner rights who favours easing restrictions on guns, has come under fire for using the incident to suggest it's people, not objects, that kill.

"Probably one of those semi-automatic assault cars," he tweeted as the disaster unfolded.

His comment has prompted hundreds of angry replies, with many calling on him to resign for making jokes about the disaster as families wait to find out if loved ones have been injured or killed.

Senator Leyonhjelm told AAP the outrage "only emanates from those who are too stupid to get it".

"My comment referred to the 'rogue' car, as if the driver is irrelevant," he told AAP.

"It's people who commit crimes, not inanimate objects.

"The same argument applies in the debate about firearms."

But his comment angered many, who took to twitter to criticise the senator.

Barrister and human rights activist Julian Burnside tweeted: "So ignorant, and in such bad taste. The tragedy is that Leyonhjelm is in our parliament. He disgraces our parliament and himself."

Former journalist and commentator Mike Carlton said: "Leyonhjelm is a grub. That is all."

Greens Leader Richard Di Natale has called on Senator Leyonhjelm to apologise.

"This is a tragedy and not the time for crass political point scoring," Senator Di Natale told AAP.

"Senator Leyonhjelm needs to pull his head in and apologise for his insensitive comments."

The strength of conservatism is the repression of knowledge

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

salmonfc - 22 Jan 2017 4:44 PM
433 - 22 Jan 2017 4:39 PM

This. The cops can't "just" shoot a suspect in a moving vehicle with a crowd of people all around. That's just asking for mass casualties and a class action lawsuit.

Not only that but anyone who has used a firearm would know how hard it is to guarantee a shot on target, much less a moving target. Even more so when they didn't know he had killed someone or that he was going to kill someone.

As far as they were concerned he was just doing doughnuts in the intersection.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 22 Jan 2017 9:53 PM
salmonfc - 22 Jan 2017 4:44 PM

Not only that but anyone who has used a firearm would know how hard it is to guarantee a shot on target, much less a moving target. Even more so when they didn't know he had killed someone or that he was going to kill someone.

As far as they were concerned he was just doing doughnuts in the intersection.

Yup, even as an avid shooter, I'd never advocate for conceal carry etc in Australia.

No effing way.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Aljay - 22 Jan 2017 8:09 PM

I've probably been feed bullshit but someone told me that in car chases that are predicted to continue on into high risk areas to finally stop the car the procedure is to fire a shot gun through the windshield at close range, first as a warning and then to stop of the driver if he persists.
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Instead of debating bail Laws we should be talking about the death penalty. Particularly in this day in age where CCTV, social media etc can guarantee you verifiable evidence. Use it when there can be no mistake.
JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Autonomous vehicles would make incidents like these moot.
But who is going to be the barrier to autonomous vehicles?
You guessed it - right wing voters! (Hence the aptness of the word 'conservative' for a reason)

Edited
7 Years Ago by JoffaTossa
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

JoffaTossa - 23 Jan 2017 10:01 AM
Autonomous vehicles would make incidents like these moot.
But who is going to be the barrier to autonomous vehicles?
You guessed it - right wing voters! (Hence the aptness of the word 'conservative' for a reason)

LOL

-PB

JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan

Oops, my bad. Too forward thinking......

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

JoffaTossa - 23 Jan 2017 10:19 AM
Oops, my bad. Too forward thinking......

Autonomous vehicles cannot predict things like toddles chasing a soccer ball onto the road with a 5m gap.

JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan

See, didn't take long. Righties will try to use edge cases like this to delay its introduction.
And all the while humans will be needlessly killing, paralysing & maiming other humans.

Edited
7 Years Ago by JoffaTossa
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

JoffaTossa - 23 Jan 2017 10:49 AM
See, didn't take long. Righties will try to use edge cases like this to delay its introduction.
And all the while humans will be needlessly killing, paralysing & maiming other humans.

Lefties will always blame righties for bringing up valid concerns with technology rather than blindly following concepts that aree unproven.

JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan

Tesla's autopilot has a far lower death rate than both the American average & worldwide average
And that's not even close to fully autonomous yet.
Then there's Google autonomous test cars, which have had one solitary panel dinting incident 'caused' while in machine operation (which was arguably the other driver's fault), yet having driven well over a million miles and hence a safer record than humans.
Evidence based thinking - the antithesis of right wing mentality.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

JoffaTossa - 23 Jan 2017 11:44 AM
Tesla's autopilot has a far lower death rate than both the American average & worldwide averageAnd that's not even close to fully autonomous yet.Then there's Google autonomous test cars, which have had one solitary panel dinting incident 'caused' while in machine operation (which was arguably the other driver's fault), yet having driven well over a million miles and hence a safer record than humans.Evidence based thinking - the antithesis of right wing mentality.

Broken records sure do skip a lot.

-PB

JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan

*zzzzzzzzzzzzz*

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Tesla's autopilot has a far lower death rate than both the American average & worldwide averageAnd that's not even close to fully autonomous yet.Then there's Google autonomous test cars, which have had one solitary panel dinting incident 'caused' while in machine operation (which was arguably the other driver's fault), yet having driven well over a million miles and hence a safer record than humans.Evidence based thinking - the antithesis of right wing mentality.

A tiny scale of trials is no way to assess the suitability of a transport mode.

A left winger with a scientific background should know this......

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

And what is the price entry point for these cars if we go fully autonomous?
JoffaTossa
JoffaTossa
Hardcore Fan

BETHFC - 23 Jan 2017 12:13 PM

A tiny scale of trials is no way to assess the suitability of a transport mode.

A left winger with a scientific background should know this......

A rightie who struggles to read properly. No surprises there.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search